Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,301 replies to this topic
Eternal Moonshine
  • Eternal Moonshine

Thug

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 14:45)
QUOTE (hulkhogan1 @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 08:14)
QUOTE (Mother Licker @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 15:13)
QUOTE (Ferocious Banger @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 13:59)
^ I can't view the pictures.

user posted image

And the crazy thing is, all of that combined still won't be as big as GTA V.

V's countryside. Not LS. confused.gif

You sound like it's a bad thing

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (InternetKillTV @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 13:06)
I was wondering, seeing as we haven't actually seen them named before, what are these two buildings in real life?

CALIFORNIA PLAZA

We know they're the ISS and FIB buildings in game from the first preview and this screen

IAA BUILDING

But, and correct me if I'm wrong, I don't believe in real life they're the equivalent organisations. I've seen the real FBI headquarters referenced in this thread before but it's a smaller, much different building elsewhere in the city. So I'm just wondering
what exactly goes on in their real life counterparts.

The buildings are California Plaza, but the real FBI headquarters are near Beverly Hills, where the San Diego freeway and Wilshire Boulevard intersect.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation

• European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2016
    Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (Eternal Moonshine @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 15:10)

That's because it is in my opinion.

OT: Is the W hollywood already spotted?

Jimmyhetfield
  • Jimmyhetfield

Master

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

This thread seriously needs to be pinned whatsthat.gif

AlienWillHeMonsta
  • AlienWillHeMonsta

Prankster

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 14:29)
QUOTE (Eternal Moonshine @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 15:10)

That's because it is in my opinion.

OT: Is the W hollywood already spotted?

And your attempts at derailing this thread were not working either. Seems like the LS size
thread is on it's last legs too.

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

So reading the new preview and seeing the quote 'Blaine county is surrounded by the San Andreas desert' and remembering the quote 'the desert is the ultimate limit of Los Santos', we can probably assume that the desert makes up the very eastern edge of the map.

Von_Von
  • Von_Von

Vercetti lives!

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Where's Las Puerta?

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 16:15)
So reading the new preview and seeing the quote 'Blaine county is surrounded by the San Andreas desert' and remembering the quote 'the desert is the ultimate limit of Los Santos', we can probably assume that the desert makes up the very eastern edge of the map.

"Blaine county is surrounded by the San Andreas desert"

That is an odd statement because if the desert SURROUNDS Blaine County, then it is not just on one side.

For it to SURROUND Blaine County there must be desert to the west, to the north and to the east.

If the desert was only to the east then Blaine County would not be SURROUNDED by desert.

I think we see the desert in Trevor's trailer, part where he says "been shot amigo".

If Blaine County was in fact SURROUNDED by desert then the coast and lighthouse screenshots must either be beyond the desert or it is not ocean but Alamo Sea we see in those screenshots.

Eternal Moonshine
  • Eternal Moonshine

Thug

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

I read in this recent article that the military base is somewhere near Grapeseed. I don't know it this helps, but i figured i'd post it anyway

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 18:17)

"Blaine county is surrounded by the San Andreas desert"

That is an odd statement because if the desert SURROUNDS Blaine County, then it is not just on one side.

For it to SURROUND Blaine County there must be desert to the west, to the north and to the east.

If the desert was only to the east then Blaine County would not be SURROUNDED by desert.

I think we see the desert in Trevor's trailer, part where he says "been shot amigo".

If Blaine County was in fact SURROUNDED by desert then the coast and lighthouse screenshots must either be beyond the desert or it is not ocean but Alamo Sea we see in those screenshots.

Yeah it is an odd statement. They probably just meant that the desert forms the outer limits of Blaine County, so it will probably look kind of weird when desert meets ocean at the Eastern and Northern (I doubt it will be on the West) edges of the map, but that is the price to pay for making it an island.

THUNDER-TRUMP
  • THUNDER-TRUMP

Black Country Crew - Sole Member

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

Any link to the this preview mentioned, cant find it anyway sorry.
Thankyou 8D

VLongo92
  • VLongo92

California Love. Show it.

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (KidAmnesiac42 @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 02:16)
QUOTE (canttakemyid @ Monday, May 13 2013, 07:35)
QUOTE (Sockpuppet @ Monday, May 13 2013, 01:51)
QUOTE (canttakemyid @ Monday, May 13 2013, 06:22)

Y'all would be more appropriate because all deviating map theories are in the same boat?

S'what I'm saying, yes.

Disparaging the LP theory by grouping it with the baseless LV, SF, Bay City theories?

Right where it belongs, until we see some proof.

There have been many detailed posts that support the theories of Los Puerta much more than those of LV and SF.  Anyone who knows a thing or two about video editing and/film knows that content is never irrelevant when centered on the screen as "Los Puerta" was 00:31 to 00:33 in trailer one.  This is especially the case when the camera continuously zooms onto that content as it did in that trailer.  This supports LP's significance and that it isn't "some Spanish written on a sign".

LOL. Are you trolling?

It says "Los Puerta Fwy". As in freeway. As in, "Los Puerta" is the name of the freeway. Not a city. If there is a city called Los Puerta, we don't have even a shred of evidence for its existence.

Going on about rhetorical techniques and cinematic interpretations but your theory is the same old baseless bullsh*t... yeah, you have to be trolling. Or a dumbass. Do us a favor and let us know which.

Trolling or a dumb ass because I disagreeing with you without resulting to name calling? It must be that time of the month for you. Your logic is all over the place right now. This is the kind of middle school sh*t that made me take a brake from the V section until more info came out. lol.gif

San Diego Freeway
user posted image
Los Puerta Freeway
user posted image

If it's not in the game, then so be it. But it's a far from baseless theory. Especially considering that out of 100+ screens and multiple trailers, R* just so happens to not show what's directly E or SE of Los Santos. We've seen no land, no water, no nothing from that region. That just so happens to be the direction of the LP Freeway, its real life counterpart (San Diego Freeway), and the city of San Diego IRL. Just a coincidence right?

...and don't give me that "R* said" bullsh*t because R* has contradicted themselves time and time again. Don't give me that "entire city...fitting on the map" BS either because if R* can get away with making LS 1/8 of the map then they could fit a smaller city easily. Not 100% expecting it, but it's a possibility.

TELL EM!!! I've been saying San Diego is in the game for a while.

There is a problem with your logic sir,
Interstate 5 is called the "San Diego Freeway" only when heading southbound towards San Diego.
However, when heading northbound (as shown in the trailer), it is known as the "Santa Ana Freeway" which does hint at another city, one that is less than an hour south of LA, Santa Ana. Located in scenic Orange County.

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

If you ♥ the $, then prepare to die for it.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:28 PM Edited by canttakemyid, 15 May 2013 - 07:31 PM.

QUOTE (VLongo92 @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 14:04)

Interstate 5 is called the "San Diego Freeway" only when heading southbound towards San Diego.
However, when heading northbound (as shown in the trailer), it is known as the "Santa Ana Freeway" which does hint at another city, one that is less than an hour south of LA, Santa Ana. Located in scenic Orange County.

Seems a little pedantic don't you think? My main point was that there is a decent chance that R* is hiding towns and development to the E and/or SE of LS. I can't remember the last time R* put the name of a nonexistent destination on a freeway sign just for kicks. For all we know, "the door" could be referring to the narrow entrance to LS from the northern countryside. This is all theoretical.

luceberg
  • luceberg

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (manntheftauto @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 19:04)

Any link to the this preview mentioned, cant find it anyway sorry.
Thankyou 8D

Here is the article, 11th post down.

VLongo92
  • VLongo92

California Love. Show it.

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (canttakemyid @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 19:28)

Seems a little pedantic don't you think? My main point was that there is a decent chance that R* is hiding towns and development to the E and/or SE of LS. I can't remember the last time R* put the name of a nonexistent destination on a freeway sign just for kicks. For all we know, "the door" could be referring to the narrow entrance to LS from the northern countryside. This is all theoretical.

Are you that dense??

Your logic was almost only based on the name of the real-life counterpart, however when I debunk your theory, you contest it simply by ignoring it?

You're wrong kid, there is no San Diego, maybe another city or metro area based on Orange County but not a full blown San Diego.

Since you are backed into a corner and all you have to fight with is "They haven't shown us S, SE, and E of the map" stop it. you are wrong and other people have proved it.
If you continue to argue, take it to the "Los Santos Size" thread.

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

so the airbase is near grapeseed

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:43 PM Edited by canttakemyid, 15 May 2013 - 09:01 PM.

QUOTE (VLongo92 @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 15:09)

...Your logic was almost only...

This phrase sums up how anal you're being. Please stop derailing the thread. No one's proved or disproved anything regarding my point because no one's seen the map in it's entirety. I was just pointing out possibilities.

GuilTymAutoFive
  • GuilTymAutoFive

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

I dont know if something was said before about the possible existence of a second important airport in the north.
i believe its not the runway for small planes we ve seen near the vineyard and the river in the valley.
So look at angle of the plane and reactor's mark, this plane seems to just take-off in my opinion .
What do u think about it?
user posted image

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (GuilTymAutoFive @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 20:53)
I dont know if something was said before about the possible existence of a second important airport in the north.
i believe its not the runway for small planes we ve seen near the vineyard and the river in the valley.
So look at angle of the plane and reactor's mark, this plane seems to just take-off in my opinion .
What do u think about it?
user posted image

It's just an artwork, they don't even consider these things when creating them.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (lazloisdavrock @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 14:42)
so the airbase is near grapeseed

The area marked below is possibly the military base and it's located across from the vineyards. I'm not sure if the vineyard is actually Grapeseed though. The name fits, but Grapeseed appears to be in a different area according to the picture from the photo viewer.

user posted image

Sockpuppet
  • Sockpuppet

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (canttakemyid @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 20:43)

This phrase sums up how anal you're being. Please stop derailing the thread. No one's proved or disproved anything regarding my point because no one's seen the map in it's entirety. I was just pointing out possibilities.

Textbook troll response.

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE (Sockpuppet @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 17:04)
QUOTE (canttakemyid @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 20:43)

Textbook troll response.

Textbook PMS response.

His petty argument about the semantics of the freeway signs has merit. But it doesn’t change the fact that there is an I-5 that runs the general N-S direction and feeds from the SE part of LS. Nor does it change the fact that R* has consciously avoided showing the SE and E regions of the map out of 100+ (actually 120+) officially released screens and 5 trailers. So no, my argument doesn’t hinge entirely on the freeway’s nomenclature. I’m sure his defense to this would be how he never said that my argument hinged entirely on the naming of the freeway; just that it “almost only” did so. And that sir, is pedantic.

If taking the higher ground and not derailing the topic as you've more or less baited me into doing here is considered a troll response, then that's between you and your period.

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:16 AM

Bump

Palm3
  • Palm3

I will laugh at the giant beaver!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

Could this be an island? Or is it just curved mainland? Is that the airport tower on the right?

user posted image

philley
  • philley

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

Wow, good find! If this is the mainland, then the perspective is strange,.... mercie_blink.gif

But it can not be the mainland,...

Palm3
  • Palm3

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

This could be the bridge towards the island:

user posted image

With the mainland on the left of the bridge and the island to the right. That could mean the airport is surrounded by sea.

philley
  • philley

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

But I guess it is really the airport:

user posted image

Palm3
  • Palm3

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:08 AM Edited by Palm3, 16 May 2013 - 11:12 AM.

It could be, no mountains or buildings in the background moto_whistle.gif

user posted image

And if you rotate 180 degrees you see the bridge and the city again (bridge on the right, city on the left of the picture):

user posted image

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (VATG @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 11:17)
QUOTE (canttakemyid @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 00:30)
QUOTE (nigelhere9901 @ Monday, May 13 2013, 06:25)
-------------------------
QUOTE (canttakemyid @ Monday, May 13 2013, 07:35)
Los Puerta Freeway

Didn't they changed it to La Puerta?

Damn you got a good eye. icon14.gif I just scoped it out too. It appears to be just to the right hand side of the location @ 00:31-00:33 on trailer one as well.
user posted image
There appears to be sail boats or power lines just behind the Freeway.
user posted image

May have been foun already but a few frames later...
user posted image
user posted image

Same location.

icon14.gif http://www.gtaforums...entry1062438200

The praise is coming a bit late, but... this is a damn good find!

almostrodney
  • almostrodney

Trick

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

I hate to sound so pessimistic but if there really is no other city, then there's going to be a a lot of not a lot lol

I really can't wait to see the map, when was the map released for gta iv?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users