» «
Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,074 replies to this topic
omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:06 PM Edited by omawnakw, 11 May 2013 - 05:13 PM.

QUOTE (bobqwerty @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 16:02)
QUOTE (omawnakw @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 13:06)
@bobquerty, sorry if i offended you. I just found your arguments in that post unconvincing and inconsistent so i thought it is just a bad joke. You put  shots with  different areas of Los Santos and Blaine County and said they differ biggrin.gif Or I do not understand what you mean by that.
To be fair it is a bit of speculation to place objects on the map having no landmarks. But your arguments looks too far-fetched to me.
So what we have for now - mountain chain shape far away in the shot with Sandy Shores sign is similar to the one we saw in the night sattelite dishes shot. It was found a few pages ago.
And you are wrong if you think mt. Alamo lacking vegetation. Look at the RockStarNiko's pic here http://www.gtaforums...491242&st=10040. You see mt. Alamo hillside to the left and mt. Zancudo hillside to the right on that shot. Also look at the posts prior to that one.
The shape of the earthen dam indicates that it should be some basin behind it, more a lake than an ocean - in the same direction we look at the sign.

I've never said it lacks vegetation. If I understand it right you're saying mountains should be completely surrounded by the same kind of vegetation. That's not true. You agree that shot from the biplane was pointing to the upper right corner of the map. Okay. So that mountain on the right (biplane pic) is Mt. Alamo. (Back of Mt Alamo around that corner link, see the lighthouse pic). Depending on the vertical slope of the terrain and some vegetation don't pullullate. Mt Zancudo, Chilliah, has less vegetation than Mt Alamo. The images from the river between Mt Alamo and Mt Zancudo show that the Est side of Mt Zancudo could be quite vertical. (link) Zancudo river would circle Mt Zancudo. So Zancudo river and that river would debouch rather close; not too close. And Zancudo river would have a small basin near Sandy Shores in my opinion.

That small town from RockstarNiko pic can't be Salton Shores. I can't see how it could be it in any map made till today. Sorry. Mt Zancudo and Zancudo river would be totally different. Where would be the back of vinewood hills with the vineyards? In Trevor trailer there's a flat landscape on the left of Sandy Shores sign. (link)

QUOTE (lxr @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 15:52)
So... you're saying the first two liquor signs here are different from the third liquor sign?

No. They are the same as you pointed. Back of Mt. Zancudo: link

> If I understand it right you're saying mountains should be completely surrounded by the same kind of vegetation
I never said that. You said about vegetation. The problem we have same places looks vegetated differently from different distances because of draw limit i think.
Also i did not agree with RockStarNiko's placement. I think Sandy Shores is to the east of that place more close to the satellite dishes, maybe to the northwest of them. Just behind the Alamo Sea, and the huge mountain in the shot with sign is south side of mt. Alamo.

Here i made a rough collage of northeast of mt. Zancudo:
user posted image

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:51 PM Edited by lxr, 11 May 2013 - 05:55 PM.

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 16:09)
Nah you were right.  The observatory shot gives a good indication of where it's facing as you can see the bridge and big round building.  Vinewood hill is coming out of his armpit..

Ah, ok. That would mean Franklin blocks our view of Downtown.

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 16:09)
If you know where the dishes are, you should understand Sandy Shores is in a similar direction.
user posted image

Very interesting image! Wouldn't the fact that the flank of Mt. Alamo looks slightly more compact when seen from Sandy Shores indicate that it is actually located a bit further WEST from the satellite dishes?

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

I'm still not convinced that that is Mt Alamo, looks more like Mt Flat to me.

user posted image

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 18:06)

I'd say it's significantly taller than Mt. Flat (see here), it shares some of Mt. Alamo's features (diagonal flanks), and the peak you see in the center of the image, kind of behind it, has a vague similarity with the northeastern rim of the mountain (mistaken for a separate Mt. Northern here).

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (mad dogg97 @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 06:04)
Can someone explain to me which way this screenshot is looking over Los Santos?? is it looking towards downtown?

http://www.igta5.com...ys-the-port.jpg

I think it's something like this:

user posted image

QUOTE (hulkhogan1 @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 06:59)
The only problem I have with SFV being in the game is haven't we already established that this is what's behind the Vinewood/Griffith hills?

http://www.igta5.com...-for-flying.jpg
Or are we thinking that the SFV is further north of this?

I don't have much space for it on my map. It would have to be the San Fernando Strip. tounge.gif

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 18:14)

I'd say it's significantly taller than Mt. Flat (see here), it shares some of Mt. Alamo's features (diagonal flanks), and the peak you see in the center of the image, kind of behind it, has a vague similarity with the northeastern rim of the mountain (mistaken for a separate Mt. Northern here).

user posted image

Would you not agree that the rounded mountain in the centre of this image is the 'Sandy Shores' mountain then?

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:19 PM Edited by lxr, 11 May 2013 - 06:22 PM.

Uh-oh, btw... there is another mountain flank RIGHT BEHIND Trevor.

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 18:18)
Would you not agree that the rounded mountain in the centre of this image is the 'Sandy Shores' mountain then?

Well, the big mountain in that picture, most of which is outside the frame, is the Sandy Shores Mountain, a.k.a. Mt. Alamo.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 17:51)
Very interesting image! Wouldn't the fact that the flank of Mt. Alamo looks slightly more compact when seen from Sandy Shores indicate that it is actually located a bit further WEST from the satellite dishes?

Middle of Sandy Shores is here I think, so a bit NW of the dishes:
user posted image

You can see a large L shape which is what should be the abandoned motel:
https://maps.google....352692&t=h&z=19
(looks demolished from overhead but still on street view)

F4t4l1ty
  • F4t4l1ty

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 19:20)
QUOTE (lxr @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 17:51)

user posted image

This is my bet. Sandy Shores is red.

user posted image
user posted image

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:24 PM Edited by lxr, 11 May 2013 - 06:28 PM.

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 18:20)
user posted image

Wow! If you ever feel like giving a image enhancement tutorial... your results are quite amazing.

QUOTE (F4t4l1ty @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 18:24)
This is my bet. Sandy Shores is red.

Well, it's sandy, but... no shores ;/

InternetKillTV
  • InternetKillTV

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

We can see Trevor's scale in comparison to both shots and people still claim that it's Mt Alamo? I can't understand it, it's far far too small.

All of this mountain talk is getting very tiring now. It has been going on for so long now and I see the same debates with the same outcomes as what I experienced 30 pages ago. I don't think we're going to have a definitive answer any more. Too many people with different opinions.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (InternetKillTV @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 18:26)
We can see Trevor's scale in comparison to both shots and people still claim that it's Mt Alamo? I can't understand it, it's far far too small.

All of this mountain talk is getting very tiring now. It has been going on for so long now and I see the same debates with the same outcomes as what I experienced 30 pages ago. I don't think we're going to have a definitive answer any more. Too many people with different opinions.

Actually, I think quite a lot of progress has been made on the last 30 pages.

With regards to these ones (initially named Mt. Molotow and Mt. Cocktail), I used to like the idea that Mt. Molotow = Mt. Flat. But now I think the discovery of the third mountain, behind Trevor, pretty much rules that out.

To make a convincing argument that Mt. Molotov = Mt. Alamo, I guess one would have to compare it more thoroughly with other screenshots and point out identical points on its flank.

bobqwerty
  • bobqwerty

Long time guest

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:39 PM Edited by bobqwerty, 11 May 2013 - 06:45 PM.

@omawnakw. Great collage. I don't know, Zombie Elvis may be right about Sandy Shores. Despite that, there could be a small city in the Est of Mt Zancudo or Mt Alamo based on that screen with the BF Injection (or that could be that place in the middle Est of Alamo Sea). I don't know about that place between the airstrip and Sandy Shores, if Zombie is right. Draw distance cheated me with 'Mt Pointy' once uppon a time. suicidal.gif

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:42 PM Edited by zombie elvis, 11 May 2013 - 06:52 PM.

QUOTE (lxr @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 18:24)
Wow! If you ever feel like giving a image enhancement tutorial... your results are quite amazing.

I just used gimp, selected an area of similar hazy colours (chopper blade in the corner was left out of the selection) then do Colors>Auto>White Balance. Sometime Equalise works better. The smaller the range of colours in your selection, the better the results will be, it basically takes the brightest and darkest of what's selected and spreads it from black to white.

MichaelOne
  • MichaelOne

Grove 4 Life

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

user posted image

Not sure if this was pointed out already, but... where's the road seen in michael's trailer?

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (Sw[ee]t @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 18:52)
Not sure if this was pointed out already, but... where's the road seen in michael's trailer?

Beyond the bottom left of the picture.

You can see the lights on the road of this pic:
http://www.rockstarg...ot/831/1280.jpg

The_Majestic
  • The_Majestic

Playa

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

user posted image

This is 100% not Mt. Alamo/Chiliad

WAY too small

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (The_Majestic @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 19:17)

This is 100% not Mt. Alamo/Chiliad

WAY too small

Just the foot of it.
Similar to what's to the right of Trevor's head in the dead body lake pic.

MichaelOne
  • MichaelOne

Grove 4 Life

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

Beyond the bottom left of the picture.
You can see the lights on the road of this pic:
http://www.rockstarg...ot/831/1280.jpg

Thanks for clearing this out! Did anyone made any panorama images with city vista?

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 18:35)
QUOTE (InternetKillTV @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 18:26)

Actually, I think quite a lot of progress has been made on the last 30 pages.

With regards to these ones (initially named Mt. Molotow and Mt. Cocktail), I used to like the idea that Mt. Molotow = Mt. Flat. But now I think the discovery of the third mountain, behind Trevor, pretty much rules that out.

To make a convincing argument that Mt. Molotov = Mt. Alamo, I guess one would have to compare it more thoroughly with other screenshots and point out identical points on its flank.

I do not believe Mt Molotov to be Mt Alamo because of this:

user posted image

There is a much larger mountain to the left of Mt Molotov, behind the house. THIS is what I believe to be the slopes of Mt Alamo. The locations of these two mountains, provided Mt Molotov is Mt Flat, would be supported by this image (again, Mt Alamo to the left of Mt Flat).

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 20:02)
There is a much larger mountain to the left of Mt Molotov, behind the house. THIS is what I believe to be the slopes of Mt Alamo. The locations of these two mountains, provided Mt Molotov is Mt Flat, would be supported by this image (again, Mt Alamo to the left of Mt Flat).

True, but the camera doesn't pan to that second shot, instead there's a cut in between them -- and R* have made a couple of jump cuts across the map in that trailer, for example in the scene with Trevor at the gas station. So I wouldn't bet on the cut between these two images being geographically accurate.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 18:42)

I just used gimp, selected an area of similar hazy colours (chopper blade in the corner was left out of the selection) then do Colors>Auto>White Balance. Sometime Equalise works better. The smaller the range of colours in your selection, the better the results will be, it basically takes the brightest and darkest of what's selected and spreads it from black to white.

Ah I see, that's interesting! Btw, does that mean the L-shaped motel could actually be this one?

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:03 PM Edited by zombie elvis, 11 May 2013 - 09:07 PM.

QUOTE (lxr @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 20:51)
QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 18:42)

Ah I see, that's interesting! Btw, does that mean the L-shaped motel could actually be this one?

Yes, same place. If I'm right, that's driving between the motel and the Alamo sea, and you're looking back at the hills to the south of the Zancudo river seen in the Biplane shot.

user posted image
http://farm4.staticf...562178946_z.jpg

bobqwerty
  • bobqwerty

Long time guest

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

I think I have found something. Initially, I was reluctant this could be the same mountain. Thought RAGE cube mapping it's difficult to find the high of an object, or mountain. Depending how height you are and your viewing angle you will see different things. So I checked the possibility of that shot with Trevor in a quad being behind Rockford Hills and they actually match. (Sorry I have lost the comparison with high contrast. I have to leave you guys for today. I know you are already missing me smile.gif ).

user posted image

This has lead me to conclude Los Santos won't be the only Big City in the game compared to the previous titles. Sandy Shores is likely to occupy most of Alamo Sea (except North-Est, airstrip included. Los Santos still being the biggest city in the game). Seems obvious, but most people think there will be small cities spread around the map. I thought that before, however it's clear for me all those images from urban desert cities were indeed Sandy Shores.

Do you remember when the second trailer came out and most gave up on the location of that airtrip. Well, we still don't know its exact location, but now we know it's possible it was a sneak peek of Los Puerta in the Westcoast (I edited Jtbe pic).

user posted image
user posted image

Just to clear it out. Have these -below- already been found?

user posted image
user posted image

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

@bobqwerty: Umm... no, I don't think the above makes much sense. All the peaks that you've marked as the same are in fact in entirely different parts of the map, and some of them are totally different in scale.

JoeM
  • JoeM

Playa

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:07 PM Edited by JoeM, 11 May 2013 - 10:10 PM.

Dont know if this will be any use but it's:

"Plagues & Pleasures on the Salton Sea" - an offbeat feature documentary about Southern California's Salton Sea and narrated by John Waters.

http://www.youtube.c...er/saltonseadoc

Another one:

A short film about my favorite post-apocalyptic hell-hole, the Salton Sea.

The_Majestic
  • The_Majestic

Playa

• Members

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

After all these years I can't play GTA IV anymore...I blame all the contributors to this thread! biggrin.gif

GTAKiwi
  • GTAKiwi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:11 AM

A few updates to my map. Corrections to Los Santos to make it a bit more accurate. I've also
made some other minor tweaks here and there. Also added sightlines and pictures to the map to
show you where some of the pictures have been taken from. It also shows you how they all link
together, and why I've made the map the way I have.

Please remember that my map isn't perfect, and that there are still plenty of small errors, and possibly
even some larger errors. But everything on the map should roughly be placed in their correct locations.

Fido, Could you please update my map in the OP with the map below, Thanks.

Click on the map below for the huge version.
user posted image

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

I decided to steal Luuno's idea and use it on my map to see what it would look like. The placement of the desert and everything isn't accurate. I just threw it all together really quickly.

user posted image

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:50 AM

QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 00:11)
A few updates to my map. Corrections to Los Santos to make it a bit more accurate. I've also
made some other minor tweaks here and there. Also added sightlines and pictures to the map to
show you where some of the pictures have been taken from. It also shows you how they all link
together, and why I've made the map the way I have.

Please remember that my map isn't perfect, and that there are still plenty of small errors, and possibly
even some larger errors. But everything on the map should roughly be placed in their correct locations.

Fido, Could you please update my map in the OP with the map below, Thanks.

Click on the map below for the huge version.

Great map and work as always. Los Santos looks to be 3,5th - 4th of the map, meaning you guys have discovered only half or just under of the entire map. I think it's reasonable to believe there being another large settlement to the North-West and maybe a town hiding to the East.

Maybe we'll see something new on Wednesday, who knows.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users