Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,288 replies to this topic
lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

As it may help with mapping South LS, I've marked up all the known bridges once more, 10 in total:

user posted image

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (doubled @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 15:50)
It's hard to see the outline of the mountain because of the red and blue line i used. I made another example with numbers, i also tilted the Trevor with the Dead guy screenshot according to the coast(lake)line and i zoomed both screenshots.

Yeah, that looks very plausible.

What about the other flank?

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 16:19)
Fido, what screenshots show the small cliffs that flank the river in NE Los Santos?

These :
user posted image
user posted image

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Ok, I see it now, does that exist in real life?

doubled
  • doubled

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 15:57)
QUOTE (doubled @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 15:50)
It's hard to see the outline of the mountain because of the red and blue line i used. I made another example with numbers, i also tilted the Trevor with the Dead guy screenshot according to the coast(lake)line and i zoomed both screenshots.

Yeah, that looks very plausible.

What about the other flank?

The other flank gives me a headache tounge.gif

I'm gonna do some color/brightness adjustment on Mt Alamo as it is seen in the lighthouse screenshot, i'm starting to have a feeling that you are right when you say that the lighthouse should be placed further to the north. I'm gonna adjust the image to see if i can locate Mt Northern in the lighthouse screenshot.

TheBankManager
  • TheBankManager

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

Good job on mapping, never knew id be keeping up on mapping a game forum!

doubled
  • doubled

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

Edited the colors a bit.

user posted image

Red line = Mt Alamo
Green line = Mt Northern
user posted image

This could be the reason why it's so difficult to get a good outline comparison of the right flank of Mt Alamo. If i take the Trevor and the Dead guy screenshot and the lighthouse screenshot i can only link the top part of the right flank together.

uJhatafart00
  • uJhatafart00

Zarrogante

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

Guys, look at this video on YT, i found it on another topic here on Forums, it analyzes pretty well the countryside imo wink.gif
http://www.youtube.c..._JR6fpEvdU#t=4s

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

*R only 20% of the map lol

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

Have the Watts towers been confirmed?

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (gtamann123 @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 17:24)
Have the Watts towers been confirmed?

Yes they have.
They seem to be located in South LS (obviously), just north of the two parallel bridges in the harbor. (map incoming)

GrandTheftDildo
  • GrandTheftDildo

Homie

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (johncs154 @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 17:03)
Guys we are missing something. They have practically shown us ALL of Los Santos. We know that this map is approx 2 - 4 times the map of San Andreas. They are hiding Las Venturas and San Fierro.Now before you all hound on me about this just think about it how many cities have multiple Military Basses, Airports, Mountains and A Freight Rail System. Los Santos never had a desert it was in Bone County, Mt. Chiliad was in Whetstone and so on.. What Im getting at is GTA IV only had One Major Airport. As they showed so far in V There are tons of planes so where are they going/coming from.. OTHER CITIES...

So far they are hiding what is on the West of the island, likely behind Chillad. There must be one or two big towns with airports because why would you leave Los Santos to fly right back again??? Maybe there is a tropical island or two with a small airport.

Getzmunney
  • Getzmunney

On september 17..the streets will be on hush mode

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (GrandTheftDildo @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 16:45)
Guys we are missing something. They have practically shown us ALL of Los Santos. We know that this map is approx 2 - 4 times the map of San Andreas. They are hiding Las Venturas and San Fierro.Now before you all hound on me about this just think about it how many cities have multiple Military Basses, Airports, Mountains and A Freight Rail System. Los Santos never had a desert it was in Bone County, Mt. Chiliad was in Whetstone and so on.. What Im getting at is GTA IV only had One Major Airport. As they showed so far in V There are tons of planes so where are they going/coming from.. OTHER CITIES...

So far they are hiding what is on the West of the island, likely behind Chillad. There must be one or two big towns with airports because why would you leave Los Santos to fly right back again??? Maybe there is a tropical island or two with a small airport.

They are hiding the san fernando valley

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

New update including Watts Tower, the big structure in South LS, and the lighthouse.

user posted image

ECDT1089
  • ECDT1089

TheGamer

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Just something I've been thinking about...If there were street name signs on traffic light poles or street light poles in the trailers or screenshots, would that have made mapping Los Santos somewhat easier?

Rockstar Cake
  • Rockstar Cake

Danny Longlegs

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

I think that when they say big surprises, they mean big surprises. I think that we've yet to see 40% of what the map really has to offer.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 18:54)
New update including Watts Tower, the big structure in South LS, and the lighthouse.

user posted image

the scale of this one seems to be better than previous ones.

but I think LS is a bit more in the south with more space between these two mountain on the left, in the north of LS

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (ECDT1089 @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 17:55)
Just something I've been thinking about...If there were street name signs on traffic light poles or street light poles in the trailers or screenshots, would that have made mapping Los Santos somewhat easier?

It would have for sure.
But the resolution would have been too small for us to read properly the street names so...
That's too bad because there are a lot of screenshots with names, number and markings that would help a lot if they weren't so badly pixelated. sad.gif

sesamtamam
  • sesamtamam

Cu*t

• BUSTED!
  • North-Korea

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (GrandTheftDildo @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 16:45)

Exactly, someone earlier said something like; Why doesn´t the highways and train trails lead to anywhere, they surely must lead somewhere due to every GTA allways having a highway or train track leading somewhere. Like to another city (SA) or another Island (IV etc).

Maybe they´ve included a smaller version of another city or a mini island up north, west or east with a smaller city....

Rockstar Cake
  • Rockstar Cake

Danny Longlegs

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 17:01)
QUOTE (ECDT1089 @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 17:55)

It would have for sure.
But the resolution would have been too small for us to read properly the street names so...
That's too bad because there are a lot of screenshots with names, number and markings that would help a lot if they weren't so badly pixelated. sad.gif

I've got frame by frame folders for each of the 5 trailers, and I've got all 109 screenshots saved. I'll go through everything and see if I can turn anything like that up. Just in case we missed it, it might not be a bad idea to have someone focus on it for a bit. I'll let everyone know if I find something.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

^^^ Excellent idea but I'm afraid you won't find much sad.gif

uJhatafart00
  • uJhatafart00

Zarrogante

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 18:09)
^^^ Excellent idea but I'm afraid you won't find much sad.gif

Hey fido, could you do a comparision between your map and GTA IV map?! It has not to be very accurate, just something like this.
user posted image

zainzombie
  • zainzombie

PRE-ORDER CANCELLED! *sob sob*

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:25 PM Edited by zainzombie, 05 May 2013 - 05:28 PM.

Los Santos (the city) looks tiny as compared to the countryside and surrounding hills, I am not complaining and Im sure the map will be huge but with this map it seems its more like "GTA V set in countryside, hills, beaches and Los Santos" rather than other way around.

uJhatafart00
  • uJhatafart00

Zarrogante

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (zainzombie @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 18:25)
Los Santos (the city) looks tiny as compared to the countryside and surrounding hills, I am not complaining and Im sure the map will be huge but with this map it seems its more like "GTA V set in countryside, hills, beaches and Los Santos" rather than other way around.

Yep, that's what i was trying to say (not directly smile.gif )
I think you should enlarge Los Santos, it's quite small compared to all the countryside.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (zainzombie @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 22:55)

Post herehere

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

Not really helpful but I am gutted that we are not getting an Angeles Crest Highway in the game, by the looks of things. Even before the game was announced I wanted a return to Los Santos and thinking about speeding down the hwy on a Hexer got me really excited. Why did they have to jumble up the surrounding area so much? The opening of Donnie Darko was filmed there FYI.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 17:41)
Not really helpful but I am gutted that we are not getting an Angeles Crest Highway in the game, by the looks of things. Even before the game was announced I wanted a return to Los Santos and thinking about speeding down the hwy on a Hexer got me really excited. Why did they have to jumble up the surrounding area so much? The opening of Donnie Darko was filmed there FYI.

If there's a ski resort, then there'll be a road like that, we've not seen anything yet but somethings got to happen north of that mountain where the road and rail bridges go.

GrandTheftDildo
  • GrandTheftDildo

Homie

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (Okin @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 21:14)
QUOTE (initium @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 18:59)
QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 18:57)
QUOTE (Okin @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 18:48)
I would put my life savings on the fact they are hiding a snow environment at the most northern part of the map.

I wouldn't go that far but there were those snow vehicle names found in the Max Payne 3 code weren't there?
The sunny side of Chiliad doesn't look like it has snow on but the North side could.

Maybe where the pinewood forest is, I think that's the only possible place where snow could be

There is only so many things they can hide and are logically located at the northern part of the map.

- The snow vehicles from the MP3 datafile.
- The snow was isolated to the northern part of RDR
- As above, someone has pointed out the distant mountain is suspiciously dark, alluding to a snow capped mountain.

Who knows, we will just have to wait and see. But I would say theres a good 60% chance of it being the reason they are hiding it.

They can make a huge deal out of it being another "first" for GTA.

user posted image

Believe. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

We didn't even see close to 40% of the map

TheBankManager
  • TheBankManager

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:55 PM Edited by TheBankManager, 05 May 2013 - 05:58 PM.

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 17:41)

user posted imageWhat about that road on the very right which appears to have two lanes and leads into a tunnel I presume.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users