Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,010 replies to this topic
BennyBlunts4
  • BennyBlunts4

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE (KidAmnesiac42 @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 00:09)
QUOTE (kesta195 @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 18:51)
QUOTE (Okin @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 18:48)
I would put my life savings on the fact they are hiding a snow environment at the most northern part of the map.

This is what I have though about as well (if anyone says anything about SoCal not having snow I'm going to scream at my monitor). But, if Chiliad is the tallest point in the game and it is not snow-capped, why would smaller mountains have snow on them?

I've been thinking the same thing... Chilliad will be snow covered and maybe based off of Big Bear? or Mammoth.

I think San Gabriel Mountains make the most sense

KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

Chin up, Cheer up. Chin up.

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE (Dick Valor @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 21:00)
QUOTE (kesta195 @ Saturday @ May 4 2013, 18:51)
if anyone says anything about SoCal not having snow I'm going to scream at my monitor).

Hate to make you scream at your monitor but, no, SoCal does not have snow. That is, nothing like what the rest of the world considers snow. When you see those snowy mountain tops up close and personal, it looks more like frost. It's not like being in Connecticut or Minnesota and walking knee deep through a foot of thick snow... more like frost and powder sprinkled on the ground not even an inch thick (you can still see the mud and pine needles through it and it's actually kind of gross).

It has snowed in L.A. but it is so incredibly rare that my L.A. home has only been snowed on once in my 27 years living here... and the snow we got was incredibly thin and melted in hours. A snowy environment like we got in RDR would feel very inauthentic in a SoCal game, trust me.

The mountains have snow dude... It can be done... No one mentioned snow falling on Los Angeles, just the surrounding mountains... Hell we're not even saying that we think snow will be on the TALLEST PEAK, which will be the furthermost point of the map. If snow was an inch thick there would be no Big Bear no Snow Summit or Mammoth, sure they use fake snow, but they still have a nice foundation.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 00:11)
user posted image
So I was going through Franklin's trailer frame-by-frame and found this interesting Tudor style house. Does it resemble any landmark in Beverly Hills?

Just a house, I found it. It's on: 506 North Roxbury Drive, Beverly Hills You can see the Church of the Good Shepard in the background.

user posted image

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 00:05)
QUOTE (lxr @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 23:54)
QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 23:41)
QUOTE (lxr @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 23:00)
Fido & zombie elvis: great new maps!

And in zombie elvis' model, I don't believe in the reservoir extending that far to the south. My theory is actually that this highway passes the mountains east of Los Santos and becomes this highway.

I based that on the fighter jet/chopper screenshot. I'm not sure what tall buildings are in that shot but I think there's city hall, and the water of the reservoir seems to extend south of there, assuming that's what it is. But I think I should leave the city details for Fido, all the streets and buildings get too confusing for me.

With regards to the mountains east of the city, I still think there's a lot more to them than just "one rim running from north to south". I'd say there are at least three separate ranges, see here.

I agree with that although I haven't modelled it very well. I had that brown arrow as being water but it might not be.

Also, those towers behind Trevor's Cuban 800 are the prison towers, not sure if that was confirmed but unfortunately it looks like a perfect fit. He is on the angled taxiing strip of the desert airfield, not the main runway lanes, the distant hills are behind are Vinewood and the rest.

Yeah, the texture at the brown arrow is weird, and it's not visible in any other shot. But whatever it is, I think it's separated from the reservoir by one or two valleys.

Prison towers behind the Cuban 800 sounds wrong, but very interesting wink.gif Do you mean the red Cuban 800 or the blue Cuban 800? Do you have an image?

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 00:16)

Yeah, the texture at the brown arrow is weird, and it's not visible in any other shot. But whatever it is, I think it's separated from the reservoir by one or two valleys.

Prison towers behind the Cuban 800 sounds wrong, but very interesting wink.gif Do you mean the red Cuban 800 or the blue Cuban 800? Do you have an image?

Yeah I meant the red one but I've just looked again and what I said doesn't make any sense. Will have to look into it.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 00:17)
QUOTE (lxr @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 00:16)

Yeah I meant the red one but I've just looked again and what I said doesn't make any sense. Will have to look into it.

One of my main issues with that old red Cuban 800 shot was that the major mountain in the background, which if we're looking northeast would have to be Mt. W, looked taller than Mt. W in that very old, very first helicopter peeking behind Vinewood Hill shot (the one revealing the prison, satellites and airstrip).

But since the new blue Cuban 800 scene has a mountain that looks very much like Mt. Pointy in one of its last frames, at a very plausible position, I'm actually a lot more confident.

KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

Chin up, Cheer up. Chin up.

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (BennyBlunts4 @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 00:15)
QUOTE (KidAmnesiac42 @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 00:09)
QUOTE (kesta195 @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 18:51)
QUOTE (Okin @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 18:48)
I would put my life savings on the fact they are hiding a snow environment at the most northern part of the map.

This is what I have though about as well (if anyone says anything about SoCal not having snow I'm going to scream at my monitor). But, if Chiliad is the tallest point in the game and it is not snow-capped, why would smaller mountains have snow on them?

I've been thinking the same thing... Chilliad will be snow covered and maybe based off of Big Bear? or Mammoth.

I think San Gabriel Mountains make the most sense

Yeah they do... They are the tallest mountains and extend all the way east to the Inland Empire...

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 00:22)
[...] I'm actually a lot more confident.

Umm, but... what's this, how could this possibly work out?

user posted image
user posted image

adrian949
  • adrian949

Thug

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:38 AM

http://en.wikipedia....ifornia#Climate

Big Bear Lake averages over 5 feet of snow a year

And yes it doesn't snow at sea level or anything under 3000 feet. Only on very rare occasions

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:45 AM

Regarding the snow: I do appreciate the discussion, but... we haven't seen any trace of snow, or any trace of seasons in GTA V... right?

I'm not such a big gamer, but I can't remember any game that had good snow. Rain, haze, fog, storm... for sure, but not snow.

I'd assume that snow is much harder to get right, as it creates friction, walking and driving becomes destructive, etc.

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

Snow is in V. I was surprised that they didn't confirm it in the previews. It only snows at the top of the mountains (Now why haven't we seen the top of any mountains? wink.gif )

Xayias
  • Xayias

Twitter @ItsThatJeremyC

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 00:16)
user posted image
So I was going through Franklin's trailer frame-by-frame and found this interesting Tudor style house. Does it resemble any landmark in Beverly Hills?

Just a house, I found it. It's on: 506 North Roxbury Drive, Beverly Hills You can see the Church of the Good Shepard in the background.

user posted image

I have no doubt that there are alot more of those houses around.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:50 AM

QUOTE (Xayias @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 01:49)
user posted image

user posted image

I've scavenged the entire are around the Church of the Good shepard, this is by far the best match.

GTAKiwi
  • GTAKiwi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:21 AM

Seeing as the two pictures on my map below have the the same background, that means sandy shores is certainly not the trailer park on my map.
So by looking at the position of the lighting screenshot in my map below, where do you think the sandy shores picture is located on that map?
user posted image
Click the image above for bigger version.

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 21:16)
There is always the chance that they decide to be lenient with the geography but like you said, we have seen the tallest mountains and no snow.

Its a massive assumption to think we have seen the tallest mountains. We have seen tall mountains but no one has seen whats further north nor seen the furtherest mountains up close. At distance we have they are too far too see any sort of detail on the peaks other than the outline. I think we may see a a big bear/ san gorgino mountain with snow much like tall trees in RDR. It is closer to LA than the salton sea in real life and R* included that so is still very possible.

Xayias
  • Xayias

Twitter @ItsThatJeremyC

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 00:50)
QUOTE (Xayias @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 01:49)
user posted image

user posted image

I've scavenged the entire are around the Church of the Good shepard, this is by far the best match.

Oh. Well LA is a big place. Who knows. Oh well... The more I am wrong the more I want Sept. 17 to be here. :,(

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

I think it's along the south edge of the lake, Kiwi, North of that ridge. Trevor using his baseball bat might be in your Trailer Park area, I'm not sure.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 01:21)
So by looking at the position of the lighting screenshot in my map below, where do you think the sandy shores picture is located on that map?

If you take a look at the Grand Unified Theory, images A, you'll see how Mt. Alamo is rotated. The top image has the dead guy in the water, and should be on the eastern shore. So the bottom image, which is taken at Sandy Shores (liquor sign appearing for a few frames), has to be south-west of that, on the eastern part of the southern shore.

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:56 AM Edited by RockStarNiko, 05 May 2013 - 02:02 AM.

Seeing as the two pictures on my map below have the the same background, that means sandy shores is certainly not the trailer park on my map.
user posted image
Click the image above for bigger version.

What your thoughts on this?

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

black lines are not indicating matching locations, they just highlighting train route (possible train route)

GTAKiwi
  • GTAKiwi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:59 AM Edited by GTAKiwi, 05 May 2013 - 02:14 AM.

QUOTE (lxr @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 14:35)

If you take a look at the Grand Unified Theory, images A, you'll see how Mt. Alamo is rotated. The top image has the dead guy in the water, and should be on the eastern shore. So the bottom image, which is taken at Sandy Shores (liquor sign appearing for a few frames), has to be south-west of that, on the eastern part of the southern shore.

I wasn't exactly sure where it was located due to thinking the green hill was that small one next to the bigger pink one on my map. But it seems I was wrong.
I just had a look at the trailer again, and the hill I have a green outline over is likely to be the hill in the background of the top picture of G in the Grand Unified Theory.
That would also explain why the left side of that hill has a sudden drop off, because it's likely to be the cliff on the north side of the top west river on my map.
The Pink outline hill below should be right. The hill on my map with the green ridge is likely not visible in the pictures below due to it only being a small hill.

user posted image

EDIT:
QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 14:56)
What your thoughts on this?

user posted image

-SNIP-

user posted image

The blue ridge in the top picture is likely to be behind and to the right of the camera in the bottom picture.
So that means Sandy Shores would be near the edge of the lake below the blue ridge in the bottom picture.
To sum it up, those two pictures are not looking the same way, they are looking at each other.

And that bridge you have the black line over in the bottom picture is not the train bridge in the other pictures
and trailers. That bridge looks like it's made for cars.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:11 AM Edited by zombie elvis, 05 May 2013 - 02:21 AM.

QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 01:59)
I just had a look at the trailer again, and the hill I have a green outline over is likely to be the hill in the background of the top picture of G in the Grand Unified Theory.
That would also explain why the left side of that hill has a sudden drop off, because it's likely to be the cliff on the north side of the top west river on my map.
The Pink outline hill below should be right. The hill on my map with the green ridge is likely not visible in the pictures below due to it only being a small hill.

user posted image

I was under the assumption that the two sides of the gap are the cliff at the far north of the river (like you said), and the nearer south part which the first train tunnel goes under.

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:21 AM

user posted image

The triangular mountain towards top left of this screenshot I think could be the large triangular one seen North of the city.

Look to the immediate left of the triangular mountain and you can see a rounded mountain.

I think this rounded mountain could be the one seen in this screenshot

user posted image

Finally, look back at first screenshot where I marked blue, you can see a long chain of mountains.

If these mountains are connected to the rounded mountain then you have a "spine of mountains" this was mentioned in some preview I think

So, the Alamo Sea is further North and beyond the triangular mountain and the rounded mountain.

Along the northern and north-eastern border of Alamo Sea there are large mountains.

We see two of them in foreground of first sceenshot.

To the east, near where Trevor passes the rocket are more mountains and possible location of Chiliad.

GTAKiwi
  • GTAKiwi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:25 AM Edited by GTAKiwi, 05 May 2013 - 02:27 AM.

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 15:11)
QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 01:59)

user posted image

I was under the assumption that the two sides of the gap are the cliff at the far north of the river, and the nearer south part which the first train tunnel goes under.

Maybe it is, but the hill of the left(Pink) looks a lot closer than the hill on the right(Green). The left hill also has trees, while the right hill has nothing.
Also the two hills you're talking about are not that far apart, so shouldn't both have trees on them if they are the hills you're talking about?

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:28 AM

This will be my final update.

user posted image

Map tests:

http://i.imgur.com/rVExhgm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GoHUKVC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VWqtPxX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2ky7eyS.jpg

Re-hosted below for future reference in case something happens to imgur. (Don't click. It's the same picture as above.)

http://i393.photobuc...zps36297bdb.png

http://www.flickr.co...N05/8709325892/

http://i.imgur.com/9k2NBst.png

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:30 AM

kiwi the mountain you marked in green does not have a sudden drop off, i think it is connected to the mountain you marked pink, it is just obscured by cloud or fog

GTAKiwi
  • GTAKiwi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 15:30)
kiwi the mountain you marked in green does not have a sudden drop off, i think it is connected to the mountain you marked pink, it is just obscured by cloud or fog

You must have missed a post I made after I posted that map. You can see a quote of that post at the top of this page.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:42 AM

QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 02:25)
Also the two hills you're talking about are not that far apart, so shouldn't both have trees on them if they are the hills you're talking about?

The hills are a good stretch down the river from each other but not super far apart, so I am a bit cautious over that, but it makes the most sense to me.
After all, from near the railway bridge you can see all this:
user posted image

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:45 AM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 02:42)

The hills are a good stretch down the river from each other but not super far apart, so I am a bit cautious over that, but it makes the most sense to me.
user posted image

That small pic you posted there, do you not think it matches almost perfectly with the mountains in background of Sandy shores screenshots.

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:46 AM Edited by GourangaMaster, 05 May 2013 - 02:49 AM.

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 22:19)
Here's my map updated with the countryside.
It's very similar to Kiwi's simply because his map is amazing and I agree with almost everything on it.
I'll add roads, train tracks and other details tomorrow.
I will leave out certain things cause their locations aren't completely sure yet (Lighthouse, Grapeseed...)

user posted image

As of now, the city seems to take 1/4th or 1/5th of the map so my scale must be off.
I believe we'll have more area to the North and to the east, and maybe behind Malibu Hills who knows ?
One thing that seems quite sure : the Alamo Sea looks to be at the very center of the map.

Damn fido your map is really coming along mate. Los santos mapping was always spot on but the country is looking good too now. Great stuff.
Yeah i was thinking there is a lot up north and south east we have not seen. Im really hoping in the south east they do a take on the ranchos palos verdes area.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:05 AM Edited by zombie elvis, 05 May 2013 - 03:27 AM.

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 02:45)
QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 02:42)

user posted image

That small pic you posted there, do you not think it matches almost perfectly with the mountains in background of Sandy shores screenshots.

Nope, I think where there's a lot of dark bits by the lake side is Sandy Shores itself. The gap between the mountains in the Sandy Shores sign picture is looking in the opposite direction towards the river with the rail bridge.

Also:
Not sure if there's a match here, I think that mast might be right though.
user posted image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users