Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,495 replies to this topic
JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 07:44)
The lighthouse screenshot is puzzling me.
I believe the big mountain is Mt Alamo but are we seeing it from the East or the West ?
If the lighthouse is West, then Mt Zancudo must be the mountain on the left and the one on the right is somewhere near Malibu.
If the lighthouse is East, then the mountain on the right may be what Choco marked as B above or Mt Flat (that one is Flat right?).

The lighthouse is in the north-east I reckon. mnxanr's img clearly shows the angles on Mt Alamo
becoming more acute, which places the line of sight to the right of Trevor. I also reckon the mountain
behind the lighthouse isn't visible from the 'plane chase' screenshot, because it is obscured by
Mt Alamo. The mountain in the 'plane chase' screenshot would be the one that we can see just beginning
to rise on the left (east) of the lighthouse. With the field of view in the 'plane chase' screenshot, if B were indeed
the mountain behind the lighthouse, then we would be able to see the the mountain that begins to rise
to the left of the lighthouse shot also on the 'plane chase' screenshot.

The Vinewood signs shots give me a sense of how big the scale is. The daytime shot has Mt Alamo in
the distance. The helipad shot has Mt Zancudo in the distance - in that shot, Mt Alamo is obscure by
Vinewood hill, but isnt visible because it's so far away. The distant mountain on the left of the helipad
screenshot is one that I don't think we've seen yet, and is in the far north west of the map.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 02:05)
I've changed my mind about the lighthouse, it must be on the mid west coast, the mountain lines up too well with Trevor's Alamo picture, but his is further north. I'm thinking the hill next to the lighthouse is that small pointy one on the west.

Eh... so when you say "west", you actually mean "east"... right?

lxr
  • lxr

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:25 AM Edited by lxr, 04 May 2013 - 09:45 AM.

QUOTE (Mnxanr @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 02:43)
user posted image

Actually, the purple part of the mountain fits as well. In the first image, behind Mt. Alamo, there's another mountain, Mt. Northern. It's missing in the second image, either because of perspective or because of draw distance.

Edited to add: But one can also see that the mountain looks wider in the first image, and narrower in the second one. This seems to indicate that the lighthouse is a bit further northeast from Trevor. In other words, if you're on the top of Mt. Alamo, looking at Trevor, you'd have to turn counter-clockwise to see the lighthouse.

Here's the best view of the eastern shoreline that we currently have:

user posted image

lxr
  • lxr

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 09:15)
The Vinewood signs shots give me a sense of how big the scale is. The daytime shot has Mt Alamo in
the distance. The helipad shot has Mt Zancudo in the distance - in that shot, Mt Alamo is obscure by
Vinewood hill, but isnt visible because it's so far away. The distant mountain on the left of the helipad
screenshot is one that I don't think we've seen yet, and is in the far north west of the map.

As zombie elvis has shown, the mountains in the background of the helipad shot have to be, from left to right, Mt. Zancudo and Mt. Alamo. His model just fits too well, see below.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

(Sorry for triple posting...)

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 09:35)

As zombie elvis has shown, the mountains in the background of the helipad shot have to be, from left to right, Mt. Zancudo and Mt. Alamo. His model just fits too well, see below.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

So the large triangular mountain is Alamo? and Zancudo is behind Griffith Observatory?

Which mountain is the one in Trevor's trailer, the one with mountain, river, bridge and vineyards and plane fly over?

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Wait, the mountains are not called mt. Zancudo and Mt. Alamo. Mt. Alamo is really called Mt. Chilliad and Mt. Zancudo is called Mt. Josiah! Just whant to let you guys know, it would be better if you's name it by it's real name smile.gif Just in case you guys don't believe me, it is here: http://www.computera...rulebook-again/ And by the way your pst is great!! biggrin.gif

initium
  • initium

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

I think we're all thinking way too complicated on this.
I have to correct what I said yesterday, where I said there are three big mountains. But I'm now pretty sure there are just two, and they're both at the Alamo sea.
We keep calling it Zancudo mountain, but why? ''Having fun at the Zancudo river'' doesn't mean the mountain is called Zancudo as well. So I think that mountain (west of the Alamo sea) is Mount Chilliad or Alamo, and the one North of the lake is that new name that I can't remember.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 09:43)
Which mountain is the one in Trevor's trailer, the one with mountain, river, bridge and vineyards and plane fly over?

Well, Trevor's trailer has both big mountains: Mt. Alamo, in the Sandy Shores scene (looking north, roughly), and Mt. Zancudo, in the plane/valley scene (looking east, roughly).

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE (initium @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 09:49)
I have to correct what I said yesterday, where I said there are three big mountains. But I'm now pretty sure there are just two, and they're both at the Alamo sea.
We keep calling it Zancudo mountain, but why? ''Having fun at the Zancudo river'' doesn't mean the mountain is called Zancudo as well. So I think that mountain (west of the Alamo sea) is Mount Chilliad or Alamo, and the one North of the lake is that new name that I can't remember.

Read my post above your comment smile.gif

initium
  • initium

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE (dyz @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 09:50)

Read my post above your comment smile.gif

Hahaha, it's all part of something in the universe we can't explain yet I think

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:54 AM Edited by JOSEPH X, 04 May 2013 - 09:57 AM.

What makes me doubt that though is the slopes of Mt Alamo dont match up imo.
the sloping of the mountain centre back of the helipad shot match up better with Mt Zancudo.

I've put the Alamo Sea horizon to horizontal too...

user posted image

...and I don't know why lol.gif

EDIT: @dyz: I agree. Josiah & Chilliad.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

I named these mountains just for reference, when there weren't any actual names to go by. Mt. Zancudo is called Mt. Zancudo because it's the mountain on the Zancudo River postcard. Mt. Alamo is the one north of the Alamo Sea. Mt. Chiliad is the one with the hikers (may turn out to be the northern flank of Mt. Zancudo or Mt. Alamo). And so on. I still kind of prefer these names, since at least we know what we're talking about, and I'm also pretty sure that R* don't have names for all the 50+ peaks that we've seen so far.

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 09:49)
QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 09:43)

Well, Trevor's trailer has both big mountains: Mt. Alamo, in the Sandy Shores scene (looking north, roughly), and Mt. Zancudo, in the plane/valley scene (looking east, roughly).

I think the large mountain we see in that plane/valley scene is the large triangular mountain see directly North of Los Santos between Vinewood and Griffith

You don't think it is?

I thought everyone has been saying for months that the huge triangular mountain is the one seen in Zancudo postcard type screenshot

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:01 AM Edited by RockStarNiko, 04 May 2013 - 10:12 AM.

QUOTE (dyz @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 09:48)

Wait, the mountains are not called mt. Zancudo and Mt. Alamo. Mt. Alamo is really called Mt. Chilliad and Mt. Zancudo is called Mt. Josiah! Just whant to let you guys know, it would be better if you's name it by it's real name smile.gif Just in case you guys don't believe me, it is here: http://www.computera...rulebook-again/ And by the way your pst is great!! biggrin.gif

Can you please show me where it says the two mountains are called Josiah and Chiliad

lxr
  • lxr

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 09:54)
What makes me doubt that though is the slopes of Mt Alamo dont match up imo.
the sloping of the mountain centre back of the helipad shot match up better with Mt Zancudo.

Many people, including myself, thought so for a long time. But again, look at this. The second and third image show the same mountain in zombie elvis' model, from different angles. Even though in the Trevor shot, it has a very distinct, complex shape, the same mountain looks almost perfectly triangular when seen from the top of the US Bank Tower.

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 10:01)

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Can you please show me where it says the two mountains are called Josiah and Chiliad

It's on page one.

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

wait, so now not only is that mountain behind Trevor's head the same one seen in trailer 1 with hikers it is also the large triangular one? WTF

and the triangular one to the left is not the triangular one?

mercie_blink.gif

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (Honest Bill @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 10:04)

It's on page one.

a mountain lion scutters for cover in the hillsides of Mount Josiah (in a GTA first, Chilliad is no longer the only peak in the series)

that is the only reference i could find i word search all 5 pages

they don't say which mountain is josiah or chiliad

lxr
  • lxr

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:12 AM Edited by lxr, 04 May 2013 - 10:15 AM.

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 09:59)
I thought everyone has been saying for months that the huge triangular mountain is the one seen in Zancudo postcard type screenshot

Yes, but once more: The huge, triangular-looking mountain behind the city, between the Vinewood Sign and the Griffith Observatory, has to be the one north of the Alamo Sea (Mt. Alamo), and not the very triangular one seen on the Zancudo River postcard (Mt. Zancudo) -- simply because if Mt. Zancudo was the huge mountain north of the city, its southern end would be just north of Vinewood Hill, and there would be no way one could ever get a shot like the one below (in which Mt. Alamo is off to the left, and Mt. Zancudo off to the right).

user posted image

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 10:11)
QUOTE (Honest Bill @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 10:04)

It's on page one.

a mountain lion scutters for cover in the hillsides of Mount Josiah (in a GTA first, Chilliad is no longer the only peak in the series)

that is the only reference i could find i word search all 5 pages

they don't say which mountain is josiah or chiliad

I see. I didn't fully grasp the question you were asking. My bad.

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

user posted image

Alamo on left and Zancudo on right?

user posted image

Alamo on right and Zancudo on left?

Is this correct?

lxr
  • lxr

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 10:06)
wait, so now not only is that mountain behind Trevor's head the same one seen in trailer 1 with hikers it is also the large triangular one? WTF

and the triangular one to the left is not the triangular one?

mercie_blink.gif

Well... the mountain behind Trevor's head MAY TURN OUT TO BE the one from trailer 1 with the hikers, but it has CLEARLY SHOWN TO BE the large triangular one behind the city.

The triangular one to the left is the triangular one though.

wink.gif

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 10:23)
Is this correct?

Yeah.

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

so where is the alamo sea now?

has it moved even closer to LS and is now behind vinewood and griffith observatory?

GTAKiwi
  • GTAKiwi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 20:48)
QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 01:09)
QUOTE (lxr @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 12:06)
One question: Are you convinced that the pointy mountain that's visible to the east of Vinewood Hill, when looking north, is Mt. Flat, or is it in that position just by accident?

Which picture is this mountain in, I wanna make sure I'm looking at the right mountain.

Ah, I was referring to this one.

The hill(which you've named Mt Pointy) to the east of Vinewood hill in that picture would be Hill M on my map.
Los Santos isn't quite correct on my map, which is why the sight line doesn't show Hill M in the right spot. We don't really
have any good pictures that really show how the Los Santos city part of the map connects to the countryside above the
Vinewood Hills. I think Los Santos needs to be rotated clockwise a bit on my map, and a few other adjustments to get
everything to line up correctly.

zalanith
  • zalanith

REAL DEAL

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

has this been discussed yet

iTz i Makez HD
  • iTz i Makez HD

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

Would be awesome if someone could make an updated version of this:

user posted image

Versous
  • Versous

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (zalanith @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 11:07)

Probably just another tunnel.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 10:37)
so where is the alamo sea now?

It's right here:

user posted image
user posted image

At the moment, zombie elvis' model may be even more accurate than GTAKiwi's map, but then there isn't much of a difference anyway.

Note though that north in zombie elvis' model is at 11 o'clock, while on GTAKiwi's map it's at 12 o'clock.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (zalanith @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 11:07)

Yes.

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

I have a new theory about the mountains and the Alamo sea:

Directly north of Vinewood lies Mt Zancudo, the huge triangular one seen here. You can see a smaller looking mountain to the left (west) of it. I believe this to be Mt Alamo, due to it's slightly less pointy peak. The alamo sea lies north of Mt Zancudo and spans south-north, rather than west-east. Mt Zancudo lies on its south shores, roughly spanning west - east. Mt Alamo lies on the seas west shores, NW of Mt Zancudo, spanning north - south. This means that this screen is actually facing south, and LS would lie far behind the pointy mountain on the left (Mt Zancudo). This would explain the 'string of mountains' that CVG said separated LS county from Blaine County (the string would be Zancudo mainly).

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users