Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,884 replies to this topic
stux56
  • stux56

Vice City Busdriver

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Friday, May 3 2013, 23:15)
QUOTE (stux56 @ Friday, May 3 2013, 23:03)
Remember the CVG preview (1/8th - 1/10th of the map)

QUOTE (Blitzkrieg35 @ Friday, May 3 2013, 23:07)
I wish this is what the map looked like, but CVG said the city is only 1/8th to 1/10th of the map.

Well, one more time: CVG have caught a glimpse of some part of the map, with the city somewhere in the distance. Don't take their estimate as a fact. It's almost certain that they're wrong.

You've got a point there. Though, I still find it weird that all the previews compare the character-switch-screen/thingy with Google Earth, I mean, that has to mean they've seen the map right? (and thus had a chance to quickly compare city to countryside). Maybe I'm just reading too much into it..

hulkhogan1
  • hulkhogan1

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE (stux56 @ Friday, May 3 2013, 23:52)

I wish this is what the map looked like, but CVG said the city is only 1/8th to 1/10th of the map.

Well, one more time: CVG have caught a glimpse of some part of the map, with the city somewhere in the distance. Don't take their estimate as a fact. It's almost certain that they're wrong.

You've got a point there. Though, I still find it weird that all the previews compare the character-switch-screen/thingy with Google Earth, I mean, that has to mean they've seen the map right? (and thus had a chance to quickly compare city to countryside). Maybe I'm just reading too much into it..

Just because they saw how the character switching works doesn't mean they saw the entire map. The camera probably just zoomed out far enough to show the general area of where each character is located. Unless the characters were at completely opposite sides of the map from each other, I doubt they would have had any way of seeing the entire map.

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:36 AM

QUOTE (hulkhogan1 @ Friday, May 3 2013, 18:31)
QUOTE (stux56 @ Friday, May 3 2013, 23:52)

Just because they saw how the character switching works doesn't mean they saw the entire map. The camera probably just zoomed out far enough to show the general area of where each character is located. Unless the characters were at completely opposite sides of the map from each other, I doubt they would have had any way of seeing the entire map.

This "static" that was seen could be something Rockstar put into the demo to hide the map, but in the real game the map will be seen as in MCLA. We already know they altered the demo to make sharks passive.

Mnxanr
  • Mnxanr

Michael

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:38 AM Edited by Mnxanr, 04 May 2013 - 12:44 AM.

QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Friday, May 3 2013, 22:33)
Some updates to my map. Haven't added all new areas yet. Click on map below for big version.
[Image]

Which mountain do you believe we're looking at in the lighthouse screenshot (the one in the middle), Zancudo Mtn. or Alamo Mtn.?
It appears that you believe it is the Zancudo Mtn., but zombie believes it to be the Alamo Mtn. due to their similar looking peaks.

UnderWeb
  • UnderWeb

Playa

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:40 AM

CVG guys who saw the demo said this map is quite similar to the game's one.

user posted image

flyboy7
  • flyboy7

Girly boy

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

In case you missed it...

user posted image

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE (flyboy7 @ Friday, May 3 2013, 18:47)
In case you missed it...

user posted image

There's a pool on the yacht. Maybe...

The__Phoenix
  • The__Phoenix

aka bud23

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 00:44)
Can I have a cookie.gif ?

Sure, here you have. cookie.gif Well deserved.

GTAKiwi
  • GTAKiwi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 12:06)
Some updates to my map. Haven't added all new areas yet. Click on map below for big version.
-PIC OF MAP-

Cool!

One question: Are you convinced that the pointy mountain that's visible to the east of Vinewood Hill, when looking north, is Mt. Flat, or is it in that position just by accident?

Which picture is this mountain in, I wanna make sure I'm looking at the right mountain.

QUOTE (Mnxanr @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:38)
[Image]

Which mountain do you believe we're looking at in the lighthouse screenshot (the one in the middle), Zancudo Mtn. or Alamo Mtn.?
It appears that you believe it is the Zancudo Mtn., but zombie believes it to be the Alamo Mtn. due to their similar looking peaks.

The big mountain in the background of the lighthouse screenshot looks like Mt Alamo to me.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:05 AM

I've changed my mind about the lighthouse, it must be on the mid west coast, the mountain lines up too well with Trevor's Alamo picture, but his is further north. I'm thinking the hill next to the lighthouse is that small pointy one on the west.

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:10 AM

user posted image

The central mountain is this screenshot looks like neither "Zancudo" or "Alamo".

Why do we assume all the mountains we are seeing are the same?

Neckbeard
  • Neckbeard

who?

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:12 AM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 02:10)
- snip -

The central mountain is this screenshot looks like neither "Zancudo" or "Alamo".

I actually believe that this mountain it Mount Chiliad and it's located at the north of the alamo sea

Mnxanr
  • Mnxanr

Michael

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:43 AM Edited by Mnxanr, 04 May 2013 - 03:09 AM.

QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 01:09)
The big mountain in the background of the lighthouse screenshot looks like Mt Alamo to me.

Oh okay, so we agree then!
And looking at your map again it makes sense the way you drew it.
I was drawing the vision line from the opening of the mountains towards Zancudo Mtn. instead of where the screenshot was taken from (further back, and slightly south).
That being said, it looks right to me, sorry for the confusion!

[Image]

This is why I believe it's Mt. Alamo, keep in mind the mountain is being displayed at a slightly different angle in each shot, and of course I could be wrong.
user posted image
EDIT: Touched up initial image. Also, since we're on the topic of the lighthouse screenshot, wouldn't it make sense if this was the inflow to the Alamo Sea as well?

nimblelinn
  • nimblelinn

old school

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:03 AM Edited by nimblelinn, 04 May 2013 - 03:08 AM.

QUOTE (flyboy7 @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 00:47)
In case you missed it...

user posted image

do you guys think the yacht moves? it in the same vicinity in both shots, it if we are looking at the back of the yacht in the party scene, it looks perpendicular to the pier. but in the plane shot it looks a lot more parallel. I highly doubt it that you can drive it, (or the Blimp) just like Colonel Cortez's yacht in vice city. but it does look to be at a different angel.

thoughts?

EDIT: now that I look at it closer, in the party scene, the ferris wheel and the building at the end of the pier are to close together.

nimblelinn
  • nimblelinn

old school

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:18 AM

QUOTE (Mnxanr @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 02:43)

Oh okay, so we agree then!
And looking at your map again it makes sense the way you drew it.
I was drawing the vision line from the opening of the mountains towards Zancudo Mtn. instead of where the screenshot was taken from (further back, and slightly south).
That being said, it looks right to me, sorry for the confusion!

[Image]

This is why I believe it's Mt. Alamo, keep in mind the mountain is being displayed at a slightly different angle in each shot, and of course I could be wrong.
user posted image
EDIT: Touched up initial image. Also, since we're on the topic of the lighthouse screenshot, wouldn't it make sense if this was the inflow to the Alamo Sea as well?

we also might be looking form opposite angles, so the color lines would be reversed. Maybe, because the green line should dip down a little bit like in the first one, but if you reverse the color line, it might work too.

Mnxanr
  • Mnxanr

Michael

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:57 AM

QUOTE (nimblelinn @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 03:18)
we also might be looking form opposite angles, so the color lines would be reversed. Maybe, because the green line should dip down a little bit like in the first one, but if you reverse the color line, it might work too.

Oh it only dipped like that because for one I can't draw straight lines, and Trevor's head is blocking the curve.
Although it could be on the other side, because we have no idea what the other side looks like, for now I believe the lighthouse is where Kiwi placed it.

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:59 AM

Amazing work in here. No other game fanbase could do this

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:04 AM

GTA Fans find out details by details even smallest ones.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:21 AM

QUOTE (Mnxanr @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 02:43)

http://i.imgur.com/UCzjM9F.jpg

Yep that's what I think, this must be on the West coast to look like that.

The lake can't have a sea level inflow, the other end has waterfalls coming off it! There might be a mountain lake that feeds into it but we've not seen it yet.

VATG
  • VATG

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:28 AM

user posted image

user posted image

Mnxanr
  • Mnxanr

Michael

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:30 AM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 04:21)

The lake can't have a sea level inflow, the other end has waterfalls coming off it!  There might be a mountain lake that feeds into it but we've not seen it yet.

Good point.

On the subject of the lighthouse, where exactly would you put the lighthouse then if it were on the west coast instead of the northeast coast? Or did you mean the northwest coast?

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE (Mnxanr @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 04:30)
QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 04:21)

The lake can't have a sea level inflow, the other end has waterfalls coming off it!  There might be a mountain lake that feeds into it but we've not seen it yet.

Good point.

On the subject of the lighthouse, where exactly would you put the lighthouse then if it were on the west coast instead of the northeast coast? Or did you mean the northwest coast?

I'd say between N and M on Kiwi's map.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:34 AM

Same mountains?

user posted image

It fits with the way I'm visualizing things.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

The lighthouse screenshot is puzzling me.
I believe the big mountain is Mt Alamo but are we seeing it from the East or the West ?
If the lighthouse is West, then Mt Zancudo must be the mountain on the left and the one on the right is somewhere near Malibu.
If the lighthouse is East, then the mountain on the right may be what Choco marked as B above or Mt Flat (that one is Flat right?).

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 12:06)
One question: Are you convinced that the pointy mountain that's visible to the east of Vinewood Hill, when looking north, is Mt. Flat, or is it in that position just by accident?

Which picture is this mountain in, I wanna make sure I'm looking at the right mountain.

Ah, I was referring to this one.

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I think we looking at the base of the large triangular mountain in second screenshot.

The same type of ridges are seen in first two screenshots. They are kind of like the mountain's feet.

In third screenshot you can see how close triangular mountain is to Vinewood sign.

MrKovac
  • MrKovac

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

^ I would put most of my money on that Mt Chilliad is the big triangular mountain in the last image above. I mean, we have almost seen every angel out of the map due to pics and trailers, and if Mt Chilliad would´ve not been that mountain, we would´ve noticed an enormous mountain far east or west because of the draw distance imo...

Nori Yaro
  • Nori Yaro

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 05:34)
Same mountains?

user posted image

It fits with the way I'm visualizing things.

On the second screen that's one mountain.

Also am I the only one that thinks the map looks similar to Burnout Paradise? The atmosphere, graphics and roads really remind me of it.
Specially in this picture and the first one of the post above mine.
user posted image

lefantome
  • lefantome

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE (GTALE @ Friday, May 3 2013, 22:18)
Looks like this was fairly correct on guesstimating the lighthouse and some other features, boo-yah!

user posted image

Best map to date, don't forget that that map must be compatible with san fierro and lass venturas dlcs

The Unknown Man
  • The Unknown Man

All you maggots smoking fags out there on Hollywood Boulevard

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (lefantome @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 09:03)
Best map to date, don't forget that that map must be compatible with san fierro and lass venturas dlcs

Lol what? wow.gif

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users