» «
Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,985 replies to this topic
zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:29 AM Edited by zombie elvis, 01 May 2013 - 01:53 AM.

This runway heads towards the Vinewood sign. NorthNorthEast I think. There's probably one 90 degrees from that too.
The observatory is to the right of its hill's peak from this direction, it's that little lump by the red pole.
user posted image

Click for big.

Potato Warder
  • Potato Warder

Title Member

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:37 AM

I think this is where Michael's house is:

user posted image

(Apologies to iiConTr0v3rSYx and gorgeprofondegta4 for using their images)

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:52 AM

user posted image
Went searching around Santa Monica and came across this. Casa del Mar has been found before but I found another hotel at the corner of Dudley and Ocean Front. The two buildings in between look too distinctive to be made up, considering that the Cadillac hotel makes an appearance, but I wouldn't know.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:58 AM

Could it be that the LS golf course runs all the way into the river area? As otherwise the river area golf scene would not make much sense

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:07 AM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 01:58)
Could it be that the LS golf course runs all the way into the river area? As otherwise the river area golf scene would not make much sense

If you're talking about the golf maps and water, it's just little man made lakes to make the golf course more interesting.

The city 'river' is a big concrete storm drain, you don't want to play golf near that.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE (ClaudeSpeedRulez @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 04:49)
@FenderFLix

Bullshots are heavily edited to look significantly better than they really are, that's why.

Will you ever stop trolling? Or being a pessimistic moron? I'm getting real tired of your sh*t, Claude.

TheYeast
  • TheYeast

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:34 AM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 01:58)

There could be multiple golf courses ph34r.gif

gta-space
  • gta-space

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:54 AM

After watching the trailers today Los santos looks small to me. They keep showing us the same areas over and over. That's not a good sign.

Meezarawcks
  • Meezarawcks

You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE (gta-space @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 03:54)
After watching the trailers today Los santos looks small to me. They keep showing us the same areas over and over. That's not a good sign.

Did you ever think that was done by design? Just maybe?

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:03 AM

The reason why they do that is probably not to show all the map so we can be surprised and that we can have much more to explore. It's a good way not to spoil us.

abottig
  • abottig

tinyurl.com/2glbsx

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:08 AM

QUOTE (TheJasonGallant @ Tuesday, Apr 30 2013, 23:03)

The reason why they do that is probably not to show all the map so we can be surprised and that we can have much more to explore. It's a good way not to spoil us.

This. They told us this months ago.

Also, the new trailers have made the map look even bigger to me.

---------

Thank you so much to the people who are attempting to map San Andreas. This is easily my favorite thread.

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:15 AM Edited by GourangaMaster, 01 May 2013 - 04:17 AM.

QUOTE (abottig @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 04:08)

---------

Thank you so much to the people who are attempting to map San Andreas. This is easily my favorite thread.

I find it difficult to understand how some people think that map is smaller after these trailers. I mean this shot alone shows its going to be pretty huge.
Half that mountain visible is easily well over the size of LS CBD and higher than the tallest builing and that is only HALF the mountain, imagine the whole thing not to mention the distant ranges
in the background and the valleys to the right of it.

user posted image

gta-space
  • gta-space

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE (GourangaMaster @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 04:15)

---------

I find it difficult to understand how some people think that map is smaller after these trailers. I mean this shot alone shows its going to be pretty huge.
Half that mountain visible is easily well over the size of LS CBD and higher than the tallest builing and that is only HALF the mountain, imagine the whole thing not to mention the distant ranges

user posted image

Once again I said LOS SANTOS the city it self looks small. The country side, hills and mountains is superb.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:38 AM

Does the new footage change our maps at all? Or is everybodys map still remaining the same? Curious to see how much bigger the map got.

Kirko
  • Kirko

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:41 AM

Work in progress check out my website for more:
http://www.gta5-comm...rk-in-progress/
user posted image

AlienWillHeMonsta
  • AlienWillHeMonsta

Prankster

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

QUOTE (gta-space @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 04:34)

---------

user posted image

Once again I said LOS SANTOS the city it self looks small. The country side, hills and mountains is superb.

you can take your moans to this thread which deals specifically with your small man problem

http://www.gtaforums...entry1062435719

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

Bei mir laufen die Geschäfte wie in Southpark Mister Hankey

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

Hey guys, I hope I'll find help here. Has anyone already published HQ scene stills of all trailers, which were released yesterday?

Threepwood
  • Threepwood

Calm like a bomb.

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

user posted image

If the game map would be not much more than what you can see on those two pictures and its unavoidable continuation, with water surrounding it, I'd be happy already!!
Seriously, those river roads, landscape etc.. absolutely awesome.

If I read the last 40 or so posts, this still is only a small part of what we can expect at all? Right?

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:05 AM Edited by zombie elvis, 01 May 2013 - 07:10 AM.

QUOTE (Stephan123 @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 06:54)
Hey guys, I hope I'll find help here. Has anyone already published HQ scene stills of all trailers, which were released yesterday?

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=553561

Every frame downloadable if you want smile.gif
The mediafire links should work.

Working on a height map....

I've decided that North is diagonal now, it sort of matches the LA coastline like that, and should put the sunsets in the right place.
user posted image
If it's anything like the old games all runways will be fixed to 90 degree and 45 degrees Compass Points, so I rotated it a bit further to match that, it seems to fit better now.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:06 AM

Just to make sure this one doesn't get lost: The liquor store sign is in all three images.

user posted image

And these three are connected, too:

user posted image

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

Bei mir laufen die Geschäfte wie in Southpark Mister Hankey

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 07:05)
QUOTE (Stephan123 @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 06:54)

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=553561

Every frame downloadable if you want smile.gif
The mediafire links should work.

Awesome, thanks man. icon14.gif

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Tuesday, Apr 30 2013, 22:38)
Does the new footage change our maps at all? Or is everybodys map still remaining the same? Curious to see how much bigger the map got.

My countryside might actually get a little smaller. If this is Mt. Zancudo and the Zancudo River - http://i.imgur.com/Po5IwZ6.jpg , then I'll have to make my Mt. Zancudo run more west / east which will bring the northern countryside closer to the city.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

user posted image

I think the red outline matches where we expected it, but wow it looks so tiny from here.

Sandy shores runs along North of those little hills North of the airstrip.

It seems the hikers weren't looking at the tallest mountain, they're looking at the one that runs along north of the lake, you can see the strange ridges.
The foot of Big Pointy Mountain is on the far the left of the Sandy shores pic.

FenderFlix
  • FenderFlix

Random Guy

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

Ocean Front Tattoo in Venice Beach
user posted image
user posted image

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

It also looks like we can make some progress with regards to the airstrip scene, in the second trailer. My initial idea was that it had to be the runway near the prison and satellite dishes, because of the sign in image 1. But we were never really certain about that. The new trailer has another airstrip scene, and the mountains in image 2 and 3 are identical. Plus image 4 shows the satellite dishes. It could still be a montage, using footage from different airstrips... but then that's not extremely likely.

Also, in image 5, you can see Mt. Pointy. This is the same mountain we see in image 6, and it appears again in the new trailer, in image 7 (the mountain on the right) and in image 8 (the rightmost distant mountain, behind the trees). Geographically, this would all make sense.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:54 AM Edited by zombie elvis, 01 May 2013 - 07:56 AM.

QUOTE (lxr @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 07:47)
It also looks like we can make some progress with regards to the airstrip scene, in the second trailer. My initial idea was that it had to be the runway near the prison and satellite dishes, because of the sign in image 1. But we were never really certain about that. The new trailer has another airstrip scene, and the mountains in image 2 and 3 are identical. Plus image 4 shows the satellite dishes. It could still be a montage, using footage from different airstrips... but then that's not extremely likely.

Also, in image 5, you can see Mt. Pointy. This is the same mountain we see in image 6, and it appears again in the new trailer, in image 7 (the mountain on the right) and in image 8 (the rightmost distant mountain, behind the trees). Geographically, this would all make sense.

There are two pointy mountains, a big one, and an enormous one, on opposite sides of the map.

The one in pic 5 must be the enormous one.
Pic 7 and 8 the enormous one is on the left of the screens, or some of it is.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:54 AM Edited by lxr, 01 May 2013 - 07:59 AM.

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 07:38)
user posted image

I think the red outline matches where we expected it, but wow it looks so tiny from here.

Sandy shores runs along North of those little hills North of the airstrip.

It seems the hikers weren't looking at the tallest mountain, they're looking at the one that runs along north of the lake, you can see the strange ridges.
The foot of Big Pointy Mountain is on the far the left of the Sandy shores pic.

Yup, the general direction is correct, but I'm not 100% sure if it's the northern edge of the Alamo River Valley, or a mountain just a bit further east, previously named Mt. Boot:

user posted image

Edited to add: Yes, the enormous pointy triangular mountain at the western edge of the Alamo Sea, between the Alamo River and the Zancudo River, is what I've been referring to as Mt. Zancudo. (And the enormous mountain north of the Alamo Sea, to the right of the boot, would be Mt. Alamo.)

But to get to your point: Image 5 is the same scene as image 3, just that the camera has panned a bit further to the right. So this has to be Mt. Pointy.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 07:54)
at runs along north of the lake, you can see the strange ridges.
The foot of Big Pointy Mountain is on the far the left of the Sandy shores pic. [/QUOTE]
Yup, the general direction is correct, but I'm not 100% sure if it's the northern edge of the Alamo River Valley, or a mountain just a bit further east, previously named Mt. Boot:

user posted image

I think the old Zancudo pic shows that off better, it's like a range of cliffs or something.
http://img831.images...748/zancudo.jpg

FenderFlix
  • FenderFlix

Random Guy

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

Venice Beach Art
user posted image
user posted image

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:23 AM Edited by lxr, 01 May 2013 - 11:25 AM.

Btw, I had to re-upload my mountains album. Nothing added, just a new URL.

user posted image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users