Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,009 replies to this topic
ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE (Zee-VS-GetBentSaggy @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 07:29)
Where is Grapeseed and why does people think its near the windmill park?

And where is it based of? Grapevine? I was looking at Salton Sea in Google Maps and I found out that there is large farmlands both South and North to Salton sea: http://goo.gl/maps/UPyDX

The Zancudo River runs through Grapeseed.

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 01:32)
QUOTE (ChillyPhilly @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 08:39)
QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 23:36)
QUOTE (hulkhogan1 @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 12:18)
judging the scale from a far away shot from above is not the same as how it will look when you're down in the city yourself.

But we are comparing two shots at similar distances and scales. This one:

user posted image

and this one:

user posted image

It will take roughly the same amount of time to walk from the observatory to the airport as it will to walk from the Getalife building to the airport in LC

Yes, however, are the heights of the control towers of LSX (Los Santos) and Francis International comparable?

Such a comparison would be distorted because at higher altitudes the camera in GTA IV switches to a wider-angle "lens" to give a greater sense of height and distance. You can't compare sizes of anything between screenshots unless you know the field of view is the same in both shots.

I appreciate that, but what are their heights?

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE (John Footpenis @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 18:48)

Why did you highlight that area in the yellow? Isn't that below the observatory?

I just marked it to give a better idea of where the observatory is in the bottom picture.

John Footpenis
  • John Footpenis

Thug

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 00:57)
QUOTE (John Footpenis @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 18:48)

Why did you highlight that area in the yellow? Isn't that below the observatory?

I just marked it to give a better idea of where the observatory is in the bottom picture.

Ahh I see now. Every new picture that comes out cast a new view of how big the city/map is.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:42 AM

The perspective on those two images above are so different it's a joke to use them to compare the cities scale side by side.

R* is using film techniques for their images. IV's image has a wide angle lens effect stretching out the scene to make it appear there's more there than actually exists, and the V image has quite near the opposite where it pulls the background up close to give an illusion of there being less than there really is.

Just look at how distorted the perspective is in the IV image, building's leaning, straight edges slightly curve..

Try comparing road widths/buildings within a city block to get a more accurate comparison.

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE (GrandMaster Smith @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 19:42)
The perspective on those two images above are so different it's a joke to use them to compare the cities scale side by side.

R* is using film techniques for their images. IV's image has a wide angle lens effect stretching out the scene to make it appear there's more there than actually exists, and the V image has quite near the opposite where it pulls the background up close to give an illusion of there being less than there really is.

Just look at how distorted the perspective is in the IV image, building's leaning, straight edges slightly curve..

Try comparing road widths/buildings within a city block to get a more accurate comparison.

This man speaks the truth.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:26 AM

QUOTE (ChillyPhilly @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 18:52)

And where is it based of? Grapevine? I was looking at Salton Sea in Google Maps and I found out that there is large farmlands both South and North to Salton sea: http://goo.gl/maps/UPyDX

I think Grapeseed is more likely to be northeast of the Zancudo River.

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 23:39)
QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 00:38)
QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 13:10)
http://i83.servimg.c...99/little10.jpg

This image is amazing. Just look how far away the observatory is from the W. Hollywood building while in the second picture it always looked like the W.H. building is right at the foothills of the observatory mountain. Funny how misleading the perspective can be.

It actually is right at the foothills.

user posted image

Never heard of perspective have you?

Good example. In the first picture, look how big the land area between the observatory and the W.H. building really is.

user posted image

In this picture, look how close the W.H. building looks to the observatory.

Threepwood
  • Threepwood

Calm like a bomb.

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

So, what about my "concrete wall" theory? Anyone read it at all?

kons
  • kons

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:49 AM Edited by kons, 28 April 2013 - 10:00 AM.

i think, there is no greek theatre in the game, look at the roofs, there are totaly diffrent

hulkhogan1
  • hulkhogan1

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 00:18)
Who else thinks this will be the damn best GTA map to date? It's the dream map I've always wanted. I thought San Andreas was good back in the day but my god, this time around, the mountains and everything are so much more life like and detailed. I'm sorry I don't have much to add to the thread but I love watching you guys come up with ideas. Thanks so much for making this wait so much more interesting. You guys are very smart.

This game in general is the dream game I've always wanted. Going all the way back to playing San Andreas for the first time. I thought it was fun, but I always thought they didn't do LA justice (of course, I might be being a little biased because I live in LA). Then I played GTA IV, and was blown away by how even without ever actually being to NYC in real life, I really felt like I was right inside a living, breathing city like how the real life thing must be. Ever since then, I always thought that if they made a game with the same setting as San Andreas, but with the graphics, details, and overall atmosphere that GTA IV had, it would be the greatest game I've ever played. And now all these years later, I'm just a few months away from finally getting to play that game.

And yes, alot of that does have to do with how the map will be presented. It's really amazing to think about all of the variety we'll be getting. Starting out with the busy downtown which is located pretty much right in the center of everything. Surrounding that we'll have suburbs, beaches, hills, and plenty we probably don't even know about yet. Then going even further away from the city, there will be desert, mountains, wilderness, large lakes, rivers, and assorted small towns scattered in between. Red Dead Redemption being as great of a game as it was really makes me excited for this aspect of the game. Because knowing how different it feels to be in areas away from civilization, while still having the sense that anything can happen out there, was a very drastic change from the fast paced happenings of the city in GTA. Now we'll have this game, which will combine the best of both worlds. Oh, and then there's the part where they decided that still wasn't enough, and they decided to let us explore underwater, which is another aspect of the game I'm really interested in. Add in all of the vehicles, weapons, and other fun toys we'll have, and I truly believe we're in for a gaming experience we'll never forget.

I apologize for the long post. I know none of this added anything to what this thread is intended for, but I just felt like sharing my thoughts on why I'm looking forward to this game so much.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:46 AM Edited by zombie elvis, 28 April 2013 - 11:48 AM.

QUOTE (Threepwood @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 09:46)
So, what about my "concrete wall" theory? Anyone read it at all?

The bridge people were talking about is circled to the right of this post. Were you meaning something else?
http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062406510
Unless omawnakw meant another bridge as well as that one.

Looking back at the animated gif omawnakw posted, I agree it doesn't look like a tunnel/two tunnels, just a few buildings.

Threepwood
  • Threepwood

Calm like a bomb.

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

This one exactly. Thats what I talk about. Less looks like any bridge, more like said concrete wall. Wanna know what others think about that.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (Threepwood @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 11:48)
This one exactly. Thats what I talk about. Less looks like any bridge, more like said concrete wall. Wanna know what others think about that.

It looks like just a few dark lines to me, I'm assuming it's the frame of a bridge.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:53 AM Edited by Fido_le_muet, 28 April 2013 - 12:07 PM.

Ignore this post.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 03:26)

North East? Isn't that where the lake is?

I think it's south of the river, it should be near where that bike is coming from chasing the burning plane. The LS hills viewed from that area should match the grapeseed pic, I think.

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 12:01)
QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 03:26)

I think it's south of the river, it should be near where that bike is coming from chasing the burning plane. The LS hills viewed from that area should match the grapeseed pic, I think.

IGN did say that the river runs though the vineyards, but so far we don't really know where the river goes beyond the triangular mountain.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

I just watched the screen saver video and you can see a shadow growing on the lighthouse when the sun is setting.
It looks like a tree or something cause the shadow isn't regular and resemble some kind of foliage.
I doubt it's the shadow of the tree seen in the screen saver but that lighthouse seems to be near a place where
large trees are.
user posted image

So...
  • So...

Oooh, that's a bingo!

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 16:36)
I just watched the screen saver video and you can see a shadow growing on the lighthouse when the sun is setting.
It looks like a tree or something cause the shadow isn't regular and resemble some kind of foliage.
I doubt it's the shadow of the tree seen in the screen saver but that lighthouse seems to be near a place where
large trees are.
user posted image

And if you look closely at that video, it seems the sun is rising to the right of the lighthouse (look also to the trajectory of the shadows). Does it mean this location is somewhere on the east/northeastern side of the map?

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 15:36)
large trees are.
user posted image

Yeah i noticed this too and thought also it might be the tree on the rock. Viewing that shot again though the tree appears to be further back down near the coastline area we see in the other shot as the same ship like shape is visible in the far right edge. It does seem very odd though for a lighthouse to be close enough for a tree on the shore to cast a shadow onto it and espcially with a shadow that big it must be a rediculously large tree.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

That lighthouse leads to Columbia!

There's always a lighthouse, there's always man, there's always city.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

If we're looking at the direction of the sun in the screen saver, we can deduce that thoses places are located along the east coast of the map.
On the Lighthouse shot, the sun is rising on the right, so East is right. Then it sets on the left so West is left. We're looking at the sea so
that scene seems to be at the North-East of the map.
On the tree shot, the sun rises on the left and goes up above the tree, thus setting far away on the right. East is left, West is right.
That scene should take place toward the South-east of the map.
Road shot : The sun is rising from the left and setting on the right. We are looking down the coast so we must be looking south.
Then that place must be on the East Coast.

The way I see things, and if the sun is at the right place, we have from North to South :

Lighthouse
|
|
Road
|
|
Tree

That would mean that the mountain on the road shot isn't the western end of the Zancudo Mountain...
But that's all speculation and shouldn't be interpreted as definitive. Far from it.

Carmain2013
  • Carmain2013

Go Team Micheal

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

What everyone on this thread have done is amazing. Every person who has contributed deserves a ton of respect.

And the people who are moaning and hating and flaming on this thread...

GTFO!
biggrin.gif

SonOfHeAndHer
  • SonOfHeAndHer

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

f*ck R* the map looks smaller than Fido_le_muets dick, this sh*ts pathetic i want a real representation of L.A it doesn't have to be 10000x the size of San Andreas i just want a proper representation but no, R* are to far up their own sh*t filled arses they don't wanna listen they think their some form of f*cking god, f*ck R* THE GAME BETTER BE GOOD OR ELSE I'M GONNA GET ANGRY, AND START THROWING THINGS. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IM CRAZYYYYYYY

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

^^^ Well of course it would look smaller you silly.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 06:01)

I think it could be north of the Alamo Sea or a little east of it. This image - http://i.imgur.com/Drpjd.jpg suggests it's close to the line from the city to Mt. Zancudo. I think it has to east of Mt. Zancudo since the mountains don't seem to line up correctly when viewed from the west.

jbte
  • jbte

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (Threepwood @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 11:48)

That's looks like an abandoned gas station... the other structures might be log houses (rest stops), like this one
user posted image

As for lighthouse, i'm not sure something similar like that anywhere in the coast of california, most lighthouses are in a coast point next to a cliff

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 18:40)

I think it could be north of the Alamo Sea or a little east of it. This image - http://i.imgur.com/Drpjd.jpg suggests it's close to the line from the city to Mt. Zancudo. I think it has to east of Mt. Zancudo since the mountains don't seem to line up correctly when viewed from the west.

Was just going to say, I've changed my mind, it might be north east of the lake. The hills look so similar to that freeway picture that the direction can't be that different.

jbte
  • jbte

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:46 PM Edited by jbte, 28 April 2013 - 06:50 PM.

For me, Grapeseed as I mentioned you before, seems to be located at west Zancudo mt. Your picture exactly explains that to me...

We should investigate more into this... i'll take a look to my 3D map and find an exact match (its not that accurate)

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

I think it could be north of the Alamo Sea or a little east of it.  This image - http://i.imgur.com/Drpjd.jpg  suggests it's close to the line from the city to Mt. Zancudo.  I think it has to east of Mt. Zancudo since the mountains don't seem to line up correctly when viewed from the west.

user posted image

I've used that image to place Grapeseed at the far eastern side of the map. The Hollywood Hills are further away than the freeway shot and I think the freeway makes a left after the wind farm and heads into Los Santos.

user posted image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users