Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,495 replies to this topic
GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

Darrel - yes - according different parts of the coastline it will be different distances.

However...the observatory shot shows the coastline on the right hand side of the screen to be close imo...as in within a mile.

Thats not acceptable for a 'metropolis' like LS.

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

It's all about the angles which the shots are taken.

it will be as big as Liberty City, at least. I dont see what is so wrong with that. They could of added repetitive big suburbs in between that all look the same. But i dont think that would be much fun to travel though.

DS 17
  • DS 17

om nom nom

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (AerialRocket @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 07:42)
QUOTE (USAPatriot @ Friday, Apr 26 2013, 03:00)
The light house is all on it's own right now.  We really don't know where or even if it is part of GTA V.  It could just be a simple scene they made for the teaser, because it was pretty barren, no trees, etc.  But it did have a road.... hmmmm.  On my map I just stuck it far to the northwest for now. 

user posted image

thats good

Have a look after every map created here in the thread. My idea came with this one.
R* told they are improving the economy of the game, so everything will have a reason to be done. For example there won't be a oil refinery next to a apartment blocks. It will be located in an industrial area.
Gameinformer (?) said when they have seen the gameplay last year they saw a city in which workers are doing their work and so on. I remember there was an info that there was a huge oil platform on which more than 50 workers had done their work.
So R* is paying strong attention to the economic things happening in V.

Now to my point. It would be absolutely nonsense if they give us a railroads to the desert just that the train is driving through it like it has been in San Andreas.
We see in nearly every map in this thread the railroad is heading towards North away from LS. But according to an economic transportation system and the real area there aren't that many goods that have to be delivered by train in the North of Los Angeles (correct me if I am wrong).
So I think this is the best indicator until now that there have to be something bigger in the North. Otherwise it would not fit to their plans presented to us.
It's just a thought.

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

That map is hopelessly optimistic.

With a 3sq miles LS that would suggest a near 80 sq mile land area which AINT GONNA HAPPEN !.

DS 17
  • DS 17

om nom nom

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (GKP @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 11:00)

With a 3sq miles LS that would suggest a near 80 sq mile land area which AINT GONNA HAPPEN !.

Everybody knows this is not up to a scale, just a sketch.

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (Darrel @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 09:12)
user posted image

Is it Century City on the left?

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Zaibatsu
  • Vatican-City

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE (GKP @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 11:00)

You don't seem able to comprehend the ground basics of angles. Angles are great for photography and thus aslo taking screenshots as they always fool the onlooker. Besides Rockstar uses a different scale of structures and infrastructure in V, as is evident in a lot of street-level screenshots. Which creates a more believable, realistic cityskape. Please also bare in mind that the city isn't flat, meaning that you can't get a clear picture sqm wise unless you calculate the size of a protagonist, a car and compare this to the lenght of a street (incorporating the angle of hills) and later entire LS.

trevors685
  • trevors685

poo poo head

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:51 AM Edited by trevors685, 27 April 2013 - 12:09 PM.

user posted image
Does this help? It's kinda in the area with all of the skyscrapers.

edit: didn't the first trailer begin in the building left to the crane? Wait, never mind. It seems as if this screenshot is right between the crane and the group of skyscrapers. Is the group of skyscrapers considered downtown?
user posted image

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (GKP @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 10:00)

Complain as much as you want, LS is going to be bigger than LC. It's already been said in the GI magazine.

hulkhogan1
  • hulkhogan1

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

I think it's pretty clear that we haven't seen all of Los Santos yet. There's definitely parts of the city to the east and the south which aren't visible in the Observatory shot that we haven't seen yet. Also not to mention the fact that there could be parts to the north beyond those hills. Also keeping in mind that judging the scale from a far away shot from above is not the same as how it will look when you're down in the city yourself. So to suggest that the city is in any way small or smaller than LC is just ridiculous, imo.

And GKP, if you want a bigger sized LA, go play LA Noire or True Crime Streets of LA. If you simply want a huge city for the sake of bigger size without any real depth to it, those are the games for you. Then one day you might realize neither of those games offer the level of scale, detail, atmosphere, and overall quality that GTA 5 will have.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (hulkhogan1 @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 12:18)
judging the scale from a far away shot from above is not the same as how it will look when you're down in the city yourself.

user posted image

But we are comparing two shots at similar distances and scales. This one:

user posted image

and this one:

user posted image

It will take roughly the same amount of time to walk from the observatory to the airport as it will to walk from the Getalife building to the airport in LC

MinnieMan121249
  • MinnieMan121249

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• The Yardies

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Those two are taken with different fields of view and distance from the characters. Compare Franklin and Michael to the chopper... You're using the camera to make it look like Broker is way further than it actually is, because the camera is futher from the chopper, and a field of view is larger.

Threepwood
  • Threepwood

Calm like a bomb.

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:10 PM Edited by Threepwood, 27 April 2013 - 01:53 PM.

I'd like to see a YT video with Niko walking that distance. Full length. 12 minutes.

theface
  • theface

PSN: PaulTheFace

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 13:06)
judging the scale from a far away shot from above is not the same as how it will look when you're down in the city yourself.

[IMG]http://cdn.memegener...0x/31821559.jpg

[IMG]http://farm9.staticf...4a30bcca6_c.jpg

and this one:

[IMG]http://farm9.staticf...e53ba7970_c.jpg

It will take roughly the same amount of time to walk from the observatory to the airport as it will to walk from the Getalife building to the airport in LC

You couldn't possibly know that those 2 images show similar distances and scales so what you're posting is just pure speculation. Can't wait for the trailers next week when this topic can back back to dealing with facts again and move away from people moaning about the size of a map they've never seen.

Fail_At_GTA
  • Fail_At_GTA

Actually awesome at GTA

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

Sigh, its been said so many times so I finally put it in my signature. Some of you guys should do the same.

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 23:36)

user posted image

and this one:

user posted image

Yes, however, are the heights of the control towers of LSX (Los Santos) and Francis International comparable?

MT90
  • MT90

Trick

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 11:04)
user posted image

It's LS. You can see the observatory on the hill.

Magic_Al
  • Magic_Al

Boss

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (ChillyPhilly @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 08:39)
QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 23:36)

user posted image

and this one:

user posted image

Yes, however, are the heights of the control towers of LSX (Los Santos) and Francis International comparable?

Such a comparison would be distorted because at higher altitudes the camera in GTA IV switches to a wider-angle "lens" to give a greater sense of height and distance. You can't compare sizes of anything between screenshots unless you know the field of view is the same in both shots.

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (theface @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 14:11)
Can't wait for the trailers next week when this topic can back back to dealing with facts again and move away from people moaning about the size of a map they've never seen.

I Couldnt agree more. This is one the few remaining threads that is genuinely usefull and insightfull that is constantly being derailed by this moronic map size argument. Discussions not even mentioning map size have the same select individuals jumping in and instigating these pointless disputes that only lead to pages of flaming and bickering.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

FOV has a negligable impact on objects in the far distance. So whether it's in a chopper, on foot or over the shoulder, as you can see by the skyscraper in Dukes it doesn't make much of a difference when judging the size of a cityscape.

And I'm not moaning about the size of the map. I'm just saying if you think the city area of Los Santos (minus the surrounding countryside) is bigger than Liberty City (Alderney, Algonquin, Dukes/Broker) then you are going to be disappointed come September. It's also been stated in the IGN preview that LS (city) isn't as big as Liberty City.

user posted image

user posted image

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 15:24)
FOV has a negligable impact on objects in the far distance. So whether it's in a chopper, on foot or over the shoulder, as you can see by the skyscraper in Dukes it doesn't make much of a difference when judging the size of a cityscape.

And I'm not moaning about the size of the map. I'm just saying if you think the city area of Los Santos (minus the surrounding countryside) is bigger than Liberty City (Alderney, Algonquin, Dukes/Broker) then you are going to be disappointed come September. It's also been stated in the IGN preview that LS (city) isn't as big as Liberty City.

user posted image

user posted image

IGN misworded their preview. Why would you trust those COD loving bastards? If you even read the GameInformer magazine which is WAY more reliable and close to R*, then you would know in the preview it said ONLY the downtown is smaller than LC's version. Otherwise, the city alone is bigger than LC.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 15:27)

user posted image

user posted image

IGN misworded their preview. Why would you trust those COD loving bastards? If you even read the GameInformer magazine which is WAY more reliable and close to R*, then you would know in the preview it said ONLY the downtown is smaller than LC's version. Otherwise, the city alone is bigger than LC.

I'm trusting only my eyes.

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

f*cking spot on Joseph.

It really is one or the other with everyone else here. I am not suggesting that a 250sq mile recreation in every detail ala TCSOLA is the right way to do things. Merely produce a city that approximates the sprawl for which LA is known for. A doubling of the current LS would be good.

We have seen LS from MULTIPLE angles already - further clarification of the fact that NO part of LS city is particularly far from downtown will be a moot point.

786 - the city Limits may well be bigger - but where do you draw the line ?...I want loads of city blocks, not disparate housing on hills as part of a city to explore.

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

user posted image

Yes. Fox Plaza is that tall building almost directly above Franklin.

Freezer89
  • Freezer89

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 17:24)
It's also been stated in the IGN preview that LS (city) isn't as big as Liberty City.

Downtown LS will be smaller than Liberty City. That's what they meant or IGN misworded it. At least other previews suggest this.

mickawes
  • mickawes

Peon

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (GKP @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 17:33)
f*cking spot on Joseph.

It really is one or the other with everyone else here. I am not suggesting that a 250sq mile recreation in every detail ala TCSOLA is the right way to do things. Merely produce a city that approximates the sprawl for which LA is known for. A doubling of the current LS would be good.

We have seen LS from MULTIPLE angles already - further clarification of the fact that NO part of LS city is particularly far from downtown will be a moot point.

786 - the city Limits may well be bigger - but where do you draw the line ?...I want loads of city blocks, not disparate housing on hills as part of a city to explore.

We don't care about what you want. Nobody here gives a sh*t about how big you want it to be.

So now stop whining. This thread is about mapping, not crying like a little girl. You don't add anything to this thread

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (MT90 @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 14:53)
user posted image

It's LS. You can see the observatory on the hill.

Century City is part of Los Angeles so whatever this is would be part of LS, which is why the observatory is visible. Downtown LS is to the right, out of shot. Those definitely aren't the downtown skyscrapers.

EDIT: @Mrthingus ok thanks

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (GKP @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 15:33)
f*cking spot on Joseph.

Who cares what you want? And more building blocks? You must have been born premature. That will make it look like sh*t. More detail and decent size is better than what you are asking. DON'T BUY THE GAME. Go play Lego if you want more blocks.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

Just report GKP posts. The guy has been warned by the mods multiple times and still comes back to troll once someone mentions the map size.

You think the city is small? Ok. Good. Now kindly shut up about it.

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 15:30)
QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 15:27)

user posted image

user posted image

I'm trusting only my eyes.

Well then your eyes are messed up. Visit Specsavers, it's a friendly advice. IGN are retards, nuff said. Read the GI magazine, it CLEARLY says DOWNTOWN of LS is smaller than the downtown in LC, that's all. Otherwise LS alone is bigger than IV's map.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users