» «
Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,069 replies to this topic
Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

I took gtamodeller's model and sized it so that the runway from IV fits in his airport. That matches well with my estimate.

user posted image

Jamie Smith
  • Jamie Smith

"The King Has Risen!" - MJ

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:40 PM Edited by Jamie Smith, 21 April 2013 - 11:46 PM.

Is Yosemite National Forest & Angeles National Forest in V or have we yet to see it?.
(i know you don't have the game but do ya'll have any idea?)

would be nice to drive on winding roads or drive so far into the forest you cant see anywhere but trees.
user posted image
user posted image

zakace
  • zakace

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (Jamie Smith @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 23:40)
Is Yosemite National Forest & Angeles National Forest in V or have we yet to see it?.

user posted image
user posted image

would be nice to drive on winding roads or drive so far into the forest you can see anywhere but trees.

That looks like a fantastic place for the game, getting a car or bike and driving straight off one of those cliffs tounge.gif

Jamie Smith
  • Jamie Smith

"The King Has Risen!" - MJ

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (zakace @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 23:44)

user posted image
user posted image

would be nice to drive on winding roads or drive so far into the forest you can see anywhere but trees.

That looks like a fantastic place for the game, getting a car or bike and driving straight off one of those cliffs tounge.gif

Yea i really hope thats what we can expect from Grapeseed and possible areas north of grapeseed.

rjmthe2nd
  • rjmthe2nd

Playa

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 15:28)

user posted image [/QUOTE]

I Have a feeling that, that is the edge of the map....Mark My Words

GTAKiwi
  • GTAKiwi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:47 AM

This is not a new version of my map.
user posted image
I think I've made a rather big muck up in my map. In picture 7 of my sight line map above, the mountain I have labeled 'P', I don't think is actually 'P' after all,
it is more likely 'B', like lxr said quite a few pages back. I suddenly realized this after seeing some of the pictures in some of the new posts here. If you look at
the picture below, and where the satellite dishes are located(They are kinda hidden in the haze straight up from the left end of the bridge in the picture below) in
relation to the big hills to the right, and if you also look at picture 11 in my map above, in the background you can see the highway and dishes, and you can also
see that the highway does a near 90 degree turn just after those satellite dishes. So that would make Hill 'P' on my map in picture 7 match up better with
hill 'B', the Vinewood hill. It also looks more like the Vinewood hill.

The issue with this, is that the sight lines I was using from the new picture for my map were made using the wrong hill. And to correct it would require
almost everything on my map to be repositioned. That'll also explain why I was having a few sight line issues when I was trying to get the Vinewood and
Observatory hills to line up with the rest of the map. I'll see how big of a job it'll be to fix, but if it's to big, I might just leave my map as is.
user posted image

QUOTE (InternetKillTV @ Wednesday, Apr 17 2013, 15:21)
Okay yeah that makes sense now. I feel like with the assistance of Kiwi's map we can really see just how the majority of the map is laid out. It all matches up with screenshots too. I'm starting to get accustomed with the map size, originally I thought it would be larger than what we have now but what we can see really makes sense.

I want to know what's on the other side of the mountain range. I believe, due to the following shots, that it's just the end of the mountains and coast. These are the only 2 shots we have, if I'm correct, facing the other side

1 Not much is seen, just the height lowering again
http://i.imgur.com/nyG2Rvb.jpg

2 Here you can really see the mountain lowering and on the horizon, ocean. The draw distance is long enough for us to see something there, if there was something.
http://i.imgur.com/loPi38R.jpg

Having said that, I feel at this point we're very high on the map. When we view this valley from the original shot in my other post of the full range we see this valley actually progressively gets higher. Anyway, I do think that at the bottom of the mountain on this side we'll have ocean.

Kiwi, if you're here, what do you make of it? Thought it might help expand that end of the map although not with much, just with water. If you agree that is.

EDIT real sorry for image size, I unfortunately don't know how to make them smaller. Would a mod like to for me?

InternetKillTV, I don't really agree with the bridge location that you showed with those two pictures in another post. And that thing winding down that valley looks more
like a dirt road than a river/waterfalls. I even have it as a road on my map. And the bridge you have circled in the picture below is likely for the train track that heads
up the side of the hill, as you can see in the first picture of JH890's post below.
user posted image

QUOTE (JH890 @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 10:10)
Don't know if this has been already here.. Too many pages to check and so new in here, but I think there's railway (marked yellow line) in this pic.  Not been noted at any map yet.
user posted image

Edit/

I don't think its normal road. Closer look bridge looks to be railroad bridge
user posted image

And here under arrows
user posted image

JH890, Haven't you seen my map in the OP? I already have that railway on my map, exactly how you showed it in those pictures. It's at the west end of the lake.

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:08 AM

I see what you mean GTAkiwi, with P actually hidden by B making the mountain just infront being the range behind A (the observatory mountain)?

The_Majestic
  • The_Majestic

Playa

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:48 AM Edited by The_Majestic, 22 April 2013 - 04:51 AM.

You guys do a great job with this map.

I had a question...

Rockstar has done a tremendous job hiding the HUGE mountain range in the most north part of the map. They were shown in this scene in Trailer 1 -

user posted image

Where is that assumed to be in regards to this picture below? I drew an arrow to where I thought. Wanted clarification.

user posted image

Dick Valor
  • Dick Valor

Cold Ass Honky

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:05 AM

QUOTE (rjmthe2nd @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 23:56)
[QUOTE=kesta195,Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 15:28]
user posted image [/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
I Have a feeling that, that is the edge of the map....Mark My Words

Not even close, buddy. dozingoff.gif

The Alamo Sea looks to be in the center of the map, if this thread is anything to go by.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 21:47)

I think I've made a rather big muck up in my map.

Maybe not. You could still be right. Looking at lxr's pic -

user posted image

The Vinewood Hills in the bottom picture look similar to the ones in the top pictures, but they're not perfect. From the top pic down, the camera is moving west. In the bottom picture, the Griffith Hills should be longer than the Vinewood Hills. I was thinking maybe the N Griffith Hill in the bottom picture is actually Griffith Hill and N Griffith Hill could be hidden behind Rockford Hill. I'm really not sure either way.

I have it the same way as you do.

user posted image

I can get that line pointed at the Vinewood mountain, but the big problem is getting the mountain with the dam ("P" on your map) completely hidden from view from that spot. I'd have to take a lot of size off the east of the city.

I even tested it out on gtamodeller's map since I figure his points are better positioned than mine. I can't get "P" behind "B". No matter what I try, "P" would be visible in this picture - http://media.rocksta..._1364387865.jpg

JH890
  • JH890

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 03:47)
JH890, Haven't you seen my map in the OP? I already have that railway on my map, exactly how you showed it in those pictures. It's at the west end of the lake.

Oops! Sorry didn't see that. Maybe eye clinic would be good place to visit cool.gif

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

The building we all assumed is a prison has a water tower.

user posted image

Can someone in here use to that to identify which prison it is? In order for us to get a better sense of the layout of the map vs actual LA.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 04:47)
This is not a new version of my map.
user posted image
I think I've made a rather big muck up in my map. In picture 7 of my sight line map above, the mountain I have labeled 'P', I don't think is actually 'P' after all,
it is more likely 'B', like lxr said quite a few pages back. I suddenly realized this after seeing some of the pictures in some of the new posts here. If you look at
the picture below, and where the satellite dishes are located(They are kinda hidden in the haze straight up from the left end of the bridge in the picture below) in
relation to the big hills to the right, and if you also look at picture 11 in my map above, in the background you can see the highway and dishes, and you can also
see that the highway does a near 90 degree turn just after those satellite dishes. So that would make Hill 'P' on my map in picture 7 match up better with
hill 'B', the Vinewood hill. It also looks more like the Vinewood hill.

If it's any consolation, I think the same as you.
The names of the mountains are perfectly fine with me as I was disagreeing with lxr about that last week^^
To me, the gap you see between the slope of Rockford Hill (B on your map), and the three peaks on the left (Vinewood, W Vinewood and Griffith aka P for you) is where the freeway goes.

I 100% agree with you on this wink.gif

philley
  • philley

Hustler

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:23 AM Edited by philley, 22 April 2013 - 10:25 AM.

QUOTE (Jamie Smith @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 01:48)

user posted image
user posted image

Yea i really hope thats what we can expect from Grapeseed and possible areas north of grapeseed.

Maybe we wil get to see a GTA version of Joshua Tree National Park! At least it is as far away as the Salton Sea Area,...or Idyllwild-pine cove

user posted image

philley
  • philley

Hustler

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 12:17)

user posted image

Can someone in here use to that to identify which prison it is? In order for us to get a better sense of the layout of the map vs actual LA.

Maybe this one????

Chuckawalla State Prison
19025 Wiley's Well Rd
Blythe, CA 92225, United States

user posted image

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (philley @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 11:28)
QUOTE (Raavi @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 12:17)

user posted image

Maybe this one????

Chuckawalla State Prison
19025 Wiley's Well Rd
Blythe, CA 92225, United States

user posted image

Could very well be. Although I guessed it was somewhat closer to LA and close to, what looks like a radar park/station?

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

There's this one right near the Salton Sea.

https://maps.google....&gl=au&t=h&z=16

Looked at a whole heap of prisons in SoCal, no water towers though.

philley
  • philley

Hustler

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:42 PM Edited by philley, 22 April 2013 - 01:44 PM.

orly.gif

It is the one I posted ^

but I am not sure what this small towerish buildings are all around the place in the screenshot,....

if it is even a prison,...

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (philley @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 00:12)
orly.gif

It is the one I posted ^

but I am not sure what this small towerish buildings are all around the place in the screenshot,....

if it is even a prison,...

Didn't even notice it was the same one!

I'm currently looking through this.

http://prisonmap.com/

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (philley @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 10:23)
QUOTE (Jamie Smith @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 01:48)

user posted image
user posted image

Maybe we wil get to see a GTA version of Joshua Tree National Park! At least it is as far away as the Salton Sea Area,...or Idyllwild-pine cove

user posted image

Yosemite is closer to San Francisco than LA, maybe we will see Sequoia National Park since is closer to LA?

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

These pics might come in handy to help find the edge of the map?

DaWiesel
  • DaWiesel

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

That road on the right in the first two pictures could be based on the Pacific Coast Highway which we have already seen in the second trailer I think, that would be the western edge of the map.

InternetKillTV
  • InternetKillTV

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 14:39)
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

These pics might come in handy to help find the edge of the map?

Definitely some end of the map.

user posted image
http://i.imgur.com/lAMP7Lw.jpg

I made a post about this being one end of the map a few days ago. Beyond the rest of the mountains all we see is the horizon/water and the view distance isn't that short. I'm guess that, if it's in game, those shots from the kifflom ad with the lowering mountain and water in is at the end of this range.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:47 PM Edited by LotusRIP, 22 April 2013 - 02:49 PM.

QUOTE (DaWiesel @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 01:44)
That road on the right in the first two pictures could be based on the Pacific Coast Highway which we have already seen in the second trailer I think, that would be the western edge of the map.

Yes my thoughts too, and to add to this, in the Kifflom screensaver you can see lights of traffic driving along that road when it turns to night setting. So for those who try to debunk it - it's definitely a road.

Maybe my pics weren't big enough, but I encourage you genius mappers to check out the Epsilon "screensaver" for more mapping clues. Good way to find at least 1 edge of the map.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

This shot is a bit clearer maybe.
user posted image

Cysiek
  • Cysiek

1+1=69

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

user posted image

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (Cysiek @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 01:33)
user posted image

I think that's it.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

user posted image

The lighthouse has to be fictional, I haven't been able to find any, either smiliar or settled in sea rocks, in the LA/SoCal area.
The Saint George Reef Lighthouse kinda resembles to the one in the screenshot, but it's located close to the border with Oregon: http://www.lighthous...light.asp?ID=26

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Safe to say both these new images are north-west of LS, near the malibu area?

InternetKillTV
  • InternetKillTV

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (ChillyPhilly @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 15:16)
QUOTE (Cysiek @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 01:33)
user posted image

I think that's it.

I can get behind that. I'm 99% sure it's coastline behind the mountain and that sure matches up,

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users