Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,511 replies to this topic
kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 16:22)
Personally I believe the mountains we see in trailer 1 is where Chiliad is located.

The 3 hikers are either looking at Chiliad or they are stood on Chiliad, halfway up looking across to another mountain in the Chiliad range.

The mountain behind Trevor's head is just a small mountain in the desert.

Look at the size of the buildings at the bottom, can see a building that looks like a church on left and a barn type building on the right.

Compare the height of those buildings to the height of the mountain.

Trevor is actually stood relatively close to the mountain and it is the same size as his head.

I believe if Trevor turned around ~180 degrees he would be looking across the Alamo Sea and see the Chiliad mountains

I see your point, and I agree that the mountain in trailer 1 is Chiliad but this could be either of these two mountains from the other slope(s). Also, the background of this screenshot shows roughly the landscape behind Trevor (he is standing on the opposite banks) and there are no taller mountains in sight. The two large mountains we have seen in the screen we have been quoting are the left and right of this screen.

aleex96
  • aleex96

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (mickawes @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 14:36)
Does anyone know what is it ?

user posted image

Could It be a small airfield?

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 16:27)
QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 16:22)
Personally I believe the mountains we see in trailer 1 is where Chiliad is located.

The 3 hikers are either looking at Chiliad or they are stood on Chiliad, halfway up looking across to another mountain in the Chiliad range.

The mountain behind Trevor's head is just a small mountain in the desert.

Look at the size of the buildings at the bottom, can see a building that looks like a church on left and a barn type building on the right.

Compare the height of those buildings to the height of the mountain.

Trevor is actually stood relatively close to the mountain and it is the same size as his head.

I believe if Trevor turned around ~180 degrees he would be looking across the Alamo Sea and see the Chiliad mountains

I see your point, and I agree that the mountain in trailer 1 is Chiliad but this could be either of these two mountains from the other slope(s). Also, the background of this screenshot shows roughly the landscape behind Trevor (he is standing on the opposite banks) and there are no taller mountains in sight. The two large mountains we have seen in the screen we have been quoting are the left and right of this screen.

user posted image

I think in this screenshot we are stood at the northern end of the Chiliad mountains.

Chiliad is South of our position and we are looking west towards the desert.

I think there are 4-7 mountains in this range, with Chiliad being the largest somewhere around the centre.

The river we see in that screenshot is flowing into the Alamo Sea and I believe the source is somewhere high up Chiliad peak.

We know that water in GTA V will be at differing elevations because we seen several waterfalls already.

In some of the screenshots we see the river much more narrow than in that above screenshot.

An example of how this river might wind and weave through the mountains is

Chiliad peak - heads south - heads east - heads north - heads west - heads north - heads east - heads north - heads west and into alamo sea

This is just an example but I believe the river we see heading into the Alamo Sea is fairly long and starts off much more narrow at source

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 16:42)
I think in this screenshot we are stood at the northern end of the Chiliad mountains.

I think there are 4-7 mountains in this range, with Chiliad being the largest somewhere around the centre.

The river we see in that screenshot is flowing into the Alamo Sea and I believe the source is somewhere high up Chiliad peak.

We know that water in GTA V will be at differing elevations because we seen several waterfalls already.

In some of the screenshots we see the river much more narrow than in that above screenshot.

Chiliad peak - heads south - heads east - heads north - heads west - heads north - heads east - heads north - heads west and into alamo sea

This is just an example but I believe the river we see heading into the Alamo Sea is fairly long and starts off much more narrow at source

I would agree with everything you said but for the IGN quote I put earlier, in which they stated Chiliad borders the Alamo sea, but I also said they could have been wrong and just assumed one of them was Chiliad.

InternetKillTV
  • InternetKillTV

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 15:28)
QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 14:51)
QUOTE (InternetKillTV @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 14:43)
We had this discussion about 100 pages ago, maybe even further. Zancudo is NOT Chilliad. It is far far too small, it is certainly not the mountain rage visible from the alamo sea. Kiwi's map shows us where Zancudo is, accurately too I believe. But one thing is for sure and that Zancudo is too small to be Chilliad. It just isn't xD

Well the motorcycle racing event seems to be located on Zancudo, that's why I assumed it was Chilliad (since it had the bike course).
Could Mountain H be Chilliad? Seems to be about as big as Zancudo, though that might be because of the perspective.
user posted image

The closer mountain in this pic is Chiliad without a doubt, as it is the larger of the two mountains that border the Alamo sea and we know Chiliad borders it because IGN said so (unless they made a mistake). Also, I brought this up a while ago, look to the far right of 'Chiliad' in this pic, you can see that there is a separate mountain/cliff a far way behind it as you can see the ridge of Chiliad and another mountain behind this, so there appears to be a valley of sorts behind Chiliad.

Yes, the mountain range has the valley with multiple train bridges and the stream/river further to the right.

My point is that that is 100% not the zancudo river mountain range.

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (InternetKillTV @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 16:55)
QUOTE (kesta195 @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 15:28)
QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 14:51)
QUOTE (InternetKillTV @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 14:43)
We had this discussion about 100 pages ago, maybe even further. Zancudo is NOT Chilliad. It is far far too small, it is certainly not the mountain rage visible from the alamo sea. Kiwi's map shows us where Zancudo is, accurately too I believe. But one thing is for sure and that Zancudo is too small to be Chilliad. It just isn't xD

Well the motorcycle racing event seems to be located on Zancudo, that's why I assumed it was Chilliad (since it had the bike course).
Could Mountain H be Chilliad? Seems to be about as big as Zancudo, though that might be because of the perspective.
user posted image

The closer mountain in this pic is Chiliad without a doubt, as it is the larger of the two mountains that border the Alamo sea and we know Chiliad borders it because IGN said so (unless they made a mistake). Also, I brought this up a while ago, look to the far right of 'Chiliad' in this pic, you can see that there is a separate mountain/cliff a far way behind it as you can see the ridge of Chiliad and another mountain behind this, so there appears to be a valley of sorts behind Chiliad.

Yes, the mountain range has the valley with multiple train bridges and the stream/river further to the right.

My point is that that is 100% not the zancudo river mountain range.

Actually I'm not sure they are the same valley, the valley with the train bridge runs South West between the triangular mountain and this mountain and the valley I have noticed here is pretty far away from that.

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 16:49)

I would agree with everything you said but for the IGN quote I put earlier, in which they stated Chiliad borders the Alamo sea, but I also said they could have been wrong and just assumed one of them was Chiliad.

I think the western slope of Chiliad heads down towards the eastern edge of Alamo Sea, so it does border it

I also remember there was a quote from GI or IGN that said Chiliad is surrounded by a large wilderness area.

Large wilderness area in my opinion means trees and forest type of environment and not desert.

I believe there are "desert mountains" and "wilderness mountains".

The mountains in foreground of above screenshot are "wilderness" and the triangular mountain seen from city and the one behind Trevor's head I believe are "desert mountains"

The screenshots with parachute and train etc are all wilderness ones

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 16:58)

I think the western slope of Chiliad heads down towards the eastern edge of Alamo Sea, so it does border it

I also remember there was a quote from GI or IGN that said Chiliad is surrounded by a large wilderness area.

Large wilderness area in my opinion means trees and forest type of environment and not desert.

The mountains in foreground of above screenshot are "wilderness" and the triangular mountain seen from city and the one behind Trevor's head I believe are "desert mountains"

Ok so looking at GTAKiwi's map on page 1, which peak would you say is Chiliad?

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 17:15)

I do not see the map the same way, so it would be pointless me saying which mountain I think is Chiliad.

I don't have the artistic skill, or patience to do a map of my own, but if I did it would look completely different.

Chiliad mountains would be on the eastern edge of the map.

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 17:26)
QUOTE (kesta195 @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 17:15)

I do not see the map the same way, so it would be pointless me saying which mountain I think is Chiliad.

I don't have the artistic skill, or patience to do a map of my own, but if I did it would look completely different.

user posted image

But this shows the eastern edge of the Alamo sea. We know this because the sun is rising in this direction. And there aren't any significant mountains.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 18:26)

I would love to see a map from you, to have your opinion on how things look.
Even if it is a quick thing, it would be interesting to see how you link things we have so far.
Kiwi's map seems to link almost every screen we have so his work seems to be the most accurate
but I'd like to see your version.
Maybe it could help clear some things who knows.

F4t4l1ty
  • F4t4l1ty

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (aleex96 @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 17:35)

user posted image

Forget the ? character. It's not correct.

user posted image

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 17:41)
QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 18:26)

I would love to see a map from you, to have your opinion on how things look.
Even if it is a quick thing, it would be interesting to see how you link things we have so far.
Kiwi's map seems to link almost every screen we have so his work seems to be the most accurate
but I'd like to see your version.
Maybe it could help clear some things who knows.

I did a post on page 416 that included a very basic map to show how I see the layout of the map.

If you think back to San Andreas that map had distinct regions of different geology, we had Red County, Whetstone, Bone County etc

I think the GTA V map will be similar in that way.

When I look at that new screenshot I see that triangular mountain towards the top left.

I think this triangular mountain is the same one we see in the city screenshots of Michael on skyscraper.

We can also see it in trailer 1 with the muscle car and hookers, trailer 2 where Trevor talking about dead bodies and in the mountain and lake screenshot.

I still think that the mountain and lake screenshot there are TWO mountains, one in front of the other.

In the new screenshot with triangular mountain you can see another mountain to the left, I think that is the same one we see in front of triangular mountain in mountain and lake screenshot

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:16 PM Edited by kesta195, 21 April 2013 - 06:26 PM.

QUOTE (F4t4l1ty @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 17:48)

user posted image

user posted image

Could be icon14.gif I do wish people would stop saying that the dam in the 'dam screenshot' is the Hollywood reservoir. The locations are no where near each other.

EDIT: Just to clarify this:
https://maps.google....s united states

North East of downtown LA, just like in the screenshot.

aleex96
  • aleex96

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (F4t4l1ty @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 17:48)

user posted image

user posted image

wow good find biggrin.gif

mickawes
  • mickawes

Peon

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

"Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis"

The best topic on this forum ! And the only one that make me come here biggrin.gif

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Very interesting stuff.
That structure in the background may well be the Hollywood Reservoir.
And looks like it is located near the Observatory. The location seems to be on par with real life.

InternetKillTV
  • InternetKillTV

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Wow good spot! Interested to see where that one goes.

nortex010
  • nortex010

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

I don't quite know how relevant this is but....

This is one of the screens from GTA V:
user posted image

And this is one of the standard Mac OS X wallpapers, called "Lake":
user posted image

Anyone else see a resemblance?

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

Looks like it smile.gif

user posted image

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

Wow, QUALITY find icon14.gif Always wondered what that weird thing was.

KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

Chin up, Cheer up. Chin up.

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (ChillyPhilly @ Saturday, Apr 20 2013, 15:01)
I think these are definitely the same mountains:

user posted image

user posted image[/QUOTE]
If this is correct (and it looks likely), then the Alamo Sea runs east-west, as has been depicted in most maps, yet has a river mouth at the northern bank. Most maps so far have shown two mouths at the western end of the sea.

However, there is serious distortion of the field of view in the chopper screenshot. It shows the Sea as being rather narrow. Take note of the large mountains on the other side of the sea in the shot. Where are they in the daylight screen (with the bridge)?

I am beginning to think there will be suburbs in the game... Behind Vinewood Hill and to the east of it, there will be Rockstar's own version of the San Fernando Valley...

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (KidAmnesiac42 @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 20:53)
I am beginning to think there will be suburbs in the game... Behind Vinewood Hill and to the east of it, there will be Rockstar's own version of the San Fernando Valley...

You mean behind and west? This picture is proof that there are no suburbs east/north east of the sign, just the prison and desert. I agree though an SF valley is still in the cards as there is a large empty space behind the mountains on the northern border of LS.

JH890
  • JH890

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:10 PM Edited by JH890, 21 April 2013 - 09:41 PM.

Don't know if this has been already here.. Too many pages to check and so new in here, but I think there's railway (marked yellow line) in this pic. Not been noted at any map yet.
user posted image

Edit/

I don't think its normal road. Closer look bridge looks to be railroad bridge
user posted image

And here under arrows
user posted image

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (JH890 @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 21:10)
Don't know if this has been already here.. Too many pages to check and so new in here, but I think there's railway (marked yellow line) in this pic.  Not been noted at any map yet.
user posted image

Might be... It could it be the other side of the railway tunnel shown in the trailer and screenshots.

Btw, awesome thread, people here definitely has a good eye icon14.gif

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:26 PM Edited by Red XIII, 21 April 2013 - 09:30 PM.

QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 21:16)
QUOTE (JH890 @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 21:10)
Don't know if this has been already here.. Too many pages to check and so new in here, but I think there's railway (marked yellow line) in this pic.  Not been noted at any map yet.
user posted image

Might be... It could it be the other side of the railway tunnel shown in the trailer and screenshots.

Btw, awesome thread, people here definitely has a good eye icon14.gif

I think this is a birds eye shot of that picture. I think its just a normal road but it may be a railroad.

*zancudo river
user posted image

B-Easy
  • B-Easy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

Amazing job guys !!! I can't wait to see the real map to find out if there are similarities

initium
  • initium

Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

That's a railroad, confirmed ages ago

JH890
  • JH890

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (Red XIII @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 21:26)

I think this is a birds eye shot of that picture. I think its just a normal road but it may be a railroad.

Arrows showing possible railroad curving to the right. No 1 red circle maybe tunnel? No 2 red circle beginning of bridge? White concrete bottom below gray railroad.

user posted image

..thats all for fudging railroads.

UrbanTheEmcee
  • UrbanTheEmcee

I'm that bada** n*gga yo moms warned you about.

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

When the real map gets released this topic is going to crash the site.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users