Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,288 replies to this topic
skillz7855
  • skillz7855

Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Monday, Dec 26 2011, 16:36)
It think you guys are over-exaggerating a bit. GTA in this generation is the furthest they have gone to get the likeness of the city. It's a game and they will change the city in order to present us with the best gaming experience. If that means a few buildings are missing so we can have more cars or a big mountain, then I'm cool with that. biggrin.gif

user posted image

user posted image

I think this picture would probably give the GTA V version of LA sunset more justice

user posted image

tenpennyisplainevil
  • tenpennyisplainevil

Godfather

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (koeklin @ Tuesday, Jan 3 2012, 13:23)
Same buildings ? Same place?

user posted image

seriously? we pointed that out in another topic. you just copy-pasted the picture to here dozingoff.gif

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

Is just it me or was a couple days of conversation deleted from this thread? mercie_blink.gif

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (boxmonster @ Saturday, Jan 7 2012, 17:30)
Is just it me or was a couple days of conversation deleted from this thread? mercie_blink.gif

Its not you, something happened. dontgetit.gif

adamcs
  • adamcs

Pixelante

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

Not just you. tounge.gif

QUOTE (Original Post)
The goal of this thread is to identify what buildings and landmarks Rockstar 'mocked' in the Grand Theft Auto V trailer, so we may develop a general idea of what the map may look like upon release.

The discussion was becoming increasingly off-topic, so I removed the last ~150 posts. If anyone wants to discuss the possibility of San Diego being included in the game, there are other topics for that. Please don't use this one.

JoanCrawford
  • JoanCrawford

Homeboy

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (Jeeebuuus @ Saturday, Jan 7 2012, 18:16)

Why in the world? They pretty much just deleted all of our finds...? Who would do this!? sad.gif

adamcs
  • adamcs

Pixelante

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (JoanCrawford @ Saturday, Jan 7 2012, 18:37)

Why in the world? They pretty much just deleted all of our finds...? Who would do this!? sad.gif

No 'finds' were deleted. The last few pages mostly consisted of nonsense about fake maps and San Diego..

JoanCrawford
  • JoanCrawford

Homeboy

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (adamcs @ Saturday, Jan 7 2012, 18:49)
QUOTE (JoanCrawford @ Saturday, Jan 7 2012, 18:37)

No \'finds\' were deleted. The last few pages mostly consisted of nonsense about fake maps and San Diego..

Oh, thank god! I was worried for a second there! tounge.gif

Billy Benedict
  • Billy Benedict

Town Drunk

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:37 PM Edited by WILLAL212, 08 January 2012 - 06:40 PM.

i have worked out a map of los santos based only on the trailer (not uploaded because of computer problems) and have come to the conclusion that only western LA was only detailed in the trailer. As some of us know, west LA is the "rich" side of town, with hollywood, beverly hills, and the beaches.

As we all should know rockstar games 1st traillers show of the beauty of the city, while the 2nd details the story and characters. the only thing new they would show (map wise) is east LA, the gang ridden ghettoes of compton, inglewood, and other poor areas. this causes me to believe that is where we begin the story.

i have tried on multiple occasions to map the area east of the mile high club and there simply is not enough info to do so.

however the 2nd trailer could INSTEAD focus on the surronding areas such as the mountains, forest, and (hopefully) deserts of lower SA.

although i would love to see mexico, i am also a firm beliver in only one city. as a huge fan of every gta, i am fan enough to admit that (using gta 4 and San andreas as examples) rockstar north is not good at designing muliple cities. Liberty city and it's burroghs were beautifuly designed, but alderney was just boring. San Fierro was just terrible, and was certaintly the weakest of the three cities in the otherwise breathtaking state of SA. Rockstar should focus on one great city instead 1 good one, 1 ok one, and an absolute wasteland. i know im not the only one who vaules quality over quantity.

any way i trust Rockstar north will pump out another masterpiece as they havent disapointed me yet.

Millionsofdeadcops
  • Millionsofdeadcops

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (adamcs @ Monday, Dec 26 2011, 00:22)
QUOTE (enforcA @ Wednesday, Nov 16 2011, 19:27)
QUOTE (BoolCaX @ Wednesday, Nov 16 2011, 19:32)
Only flaw in your theory is the fact that downtown LA is far from the coastline, not beside it...  confused.gif

The water i mentioned in some thread (here or in the trailer analysis) some time ago, was in the scene with the "Rockstar Games presents" title and the palm trees in front. On the very right side, it looked like water and beach. And there was a point light moving down, like a boat or something. I still don't know if it's really water, beach and a boat with lights on in that scene, but it looked kinda like it.

I'm surprised more wasn't made of this^ discovery.

user posted image

Water is definitely visible here. It's not clear in the image above, but it's clear when you watch the video.

That means the shoreline should extend further south in central LS than it does in western LS (where the beaches + pier are located).

Fido's map is a great first attempt at mapping Los Santos, but some of the orientations are wrong. The oil well should be located much further south, and the shape should be more like the shape I've described above..

I've always thought that this scene reminded me of MacArthur Park.

user posted image

SomePerson
  • SomePerson

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

Good find- the location looks right too. Do you reckon we'll see (I can't recall the name) the large stadium? If so, it must be in the far left, out of that picture.

Lucas100
  • Lucas100

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

user posted image

Please Rockstar,Map that on the game inlove.gif

matsvanstam
  • matsvanstam

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

http://www.rockstarn...ots/map003.html

what game is this?

skillz7855
  • skillz7855

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (matsvanstam @ Monday, Jan 9 2012, 13:31)

what game is this?

gta III

PretendWereDead
  • PretendWereDead

Prankster

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (matsvanstam @ Monday, Jan 9 2012, 13:31)

what game is this?

GTA 3.

koeklin
  • koeklin

aka Master Nawak

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:56 PM Edited by koeklin, 09 January 2012 - 02:58 PM.

QUOTE (tenpennyisplainevil @ Saturday, Jan 7 2012, 17:19)
seriously? we pointed that out in another topic. you just copy-pasted the picture to here dozingoff.gif

I do not remember reading (or not) anything like that but I do not claim to be the first to find this building twice in the trailer. If I read interesting something in another topic (or forum) that can help this one, I quote the source, the work of the others isn't mine. If you have the link, I will edit my message to add the link and the name of who found that before me.

JCA
  • JCA

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

Can someone tell me what building this is?

user posted image

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Comedian of the Year 2011

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

it looks to me like the downtown LA police HQ when youre driving south leaving LA. I could be 100% wrong though.

SocalZHP
  • SocalZHP

Yeah buddy

• Members

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:14 PM Edited by SocalZHP, 09 January 2012 - 08:17 PM.

QUOTE (Lucas100 @ Monday, Jan 9 2012, 05:17)
user posted image

Please Rockstar,Map that on the game  inlove.gif

Isn't a stadium visible in the trailer?

EDIT: Found it on page 2.
user posted image

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (JCA @ Monday, Jan 9 2012, 19:50)
Can someone  tell me what building this is?

The bridge is 4th Street Bridge on the CicLAvia route

But, i have looked all along that road for the building, and further as things are more close together in the Gta world, but still cannot find it.

LaBrat
  • LaBrat

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:59 PM Edited by LaBrat, 09 January 2012 - 10:04 PM.

QUOTE (SocalZHP @ Monday, Jan 9 2012, 20:14)

user posted image

Wait, they're putting Grauman's East of Dodger Stadium? And they're both like two blocks from downtown. Yeesh, this is making me cringe.

E: Maybe that isn't Grauman's. What's the building in green?

Los Santos Pedestrian
  • Los Santos Pedestrian

Then as it was, but again it will be

• Members

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (LaBrat @ Monday, Jan 9 2012, 21:59)
Wait, they're putting Grauman's East of Dodger Stadium? And they're both like two blocks from downtown. Yeesh, this is making me cringe.

There will be geographically incorrect things in every GTA game. Hell, in IVthey put Bohan east of Algonquin, instead of directly over it like it is in real life. Or how they put East Beach, which is based on Long Beach, at the east (of course), instead of west, which is just completely incorrect. If they were aiming for more realism, they could've named it West Beach.

I'm not saying any of this is bad, it's just that all the crap of a 100 square mile city has to be jumbled into about 3 square miles.

LaBrat
  • LaBrat

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (Los Santos Pedestrian @ Monday, Jan 9 2012, 22:05)

There will be geographically incorrect things in every GTA game. Hell, in IVthey put Bohan east of Algonquin, instead of directly over it like it is in real life. Or how they put East Beach, which is based on Long Beach, at the east (of course), instead of west, which is just completely incorrect. If they were aiming for more realism, they could've named it West Beach.

I'm not saying any of this is bad, it's just that all the crap of a 100 square mile city has to be jumbled into about 3 square miles.

Rockstar has said that Los Santos was the most geographically incorrect out of all of the San Andreas cities. I'm assuming that they're doing it over because they want to get it right this time. I'm expecting the change between SA Los Santos and V Los Santos to be comparable to the change between III Liberty City and IV Liberty City, although I'm prepared to be disappointed.

But I'm convinced now that it's not Grauman's, I was just being stupid and it could be any building in Chinatown. If it were Grauman's, that would mean that all of Hollywood would be smushed between downtown LA and East LA, and it would look terrible.

mediocore
  • mediocore

This is the last dance for mister Lance Vance

• Members

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

When I examined that shot, I thought what you're pointing out as a stadium was going to be Unity Station from SA. Look just to the left of what you have highlighted and hopefully you'll see what I mean...

SocalZHP
  • SocalZHP

Yeah buddy

• Members

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:14 PM Edited by SocalZHP, 09 January 2012 - 11:17 PM.

QUOTE (mediocore @ Monday, Jan 9 2012, 15:06)
When I examined that shot, I thought what you're pointing out as a stadium was going to be Unity Station from SA. Look just to the left of what you have highlighted and hopefully you'll see what I mean...

Are you seeing a smoke trail?? I'm not gonna lie, that does look like Unity Station, the one that was in San Fierro if that's what it's called.

SimMaster
  • SimMaster

San Andreas Explorer

• Members

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (Darrel @ Monday, Jan 9 2012, 15:59)

But, i have looked all along that road for the building, and further as things are more close together in the Gta world, but still cannot find it.

This bridge runs over the Los Angeles River doesn't it?

panchobulla
  • panchobulla

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE (SimMaster @ Monday, Jan 9 2012, 23:26)
QUOTE (Darrel @ Monday, Jan 9 2012, 15:59)

This bridge runs over the Los Angeles River doesn't it?

The pillars of the bridge show that this is a replica of the 4th street bridge that goes over the LA River.

user posted image

leyja
  • leyja

Thug

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:29 AM Edited by leyja, 10 January 2012 - 04:44 AM.

user posted image
i believe those buildings in the background (left side) are around northern dowtown LA which surround the LA city hall
user posted image
i believe this one one is the one on the far left
user posted image
this is the other bldg which is in front of the la city hall

i could be wrong though but i still have a really good feeling that background is facing northern downtown la and east la

Dick Valor
  • Dick Valor

Cold Ass Honky

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:18 AM

QUOTE (LaBrat @ Monday, Jan 9 2012, 22:13)

Rockstar has said that Los Santos was the most geographically incorrect out of all of the San Andreas cities. I'm assuming that they're doing it over because they want to get it right this time. I'm expecting the change between SA Los Santos and V Los Santos to be comparable to the change between III Liberty City and IV Liberty City, although I'm prepared to be disappointed.

But I'm convinced now that it's not Grauman's, I was just being stupid and it could be any building in Chinatown. If it were Grauman's, that would mean that all of Hollywood would be smushed between downtown LA and East LA, and it would look terrible.

It isn't Grauman's; it's just Chinatown. Dodger Stadium is near Chinatown so it's plausible that it's there. From the sunset shot, I'm pretty sure we see the Staples Center--the short, roundish building just to the left (south) of downtown. If Staples is included, Dodger Stadium may very well be there as well, though it's hard to tell from that last shot. Overall, from what we've seen in the trailer, this L.S. is going to be much more accurate and have even more landmarks, so I'm hopeful. But will you get to attend games and cause chaos? devil.gif

user posted image

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Comedian of the Year 2011

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:20 AM

QUOTE (LaBrat @ Monday, Jan 9 2012, 16:59)
QUOTE (SocalZHP @ Monday, Jan 9 2012, 20:14)

user posted image

E: Maybe that isn't Grauman's. What's the building in green?

Oh my God, youre right. Epic Cockstar fail. I love how this generation was supposed to be "proper" versions of the cities instead of bigger maps acording to Dan Louser, but all i see is that statement being a "proper" load of bull sh*te.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users