» «
Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,982 replies to this topic
Mnxanr
  • Mnxanr

Michael

• Members

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:59 PM Edited by Mnxanr, 13 July 2013 - 01:02 AM.

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 21:32)
QUOTE (AlienWillHeMonsta @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 20:05)
QUOTE (Mnxanr @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 16:06)
QUOTE (Dick Valor @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 08:01)
So, assuming IV+RDR+SA+room to spare = 30 square miles or so, is this known area you've depicted roughly half of the map?

It's not IV + RDR + SA it's IV x RDR x SA. In other words the area is multiplicative not additive, it's not going to be IV and RDR and SA side-by-side.

Scale is off

EDIT: Added image for clarification.

How did you work out additive or multiplicative? If its multiplicative as you say then you only one of the maps as comparison (the largest one). But r* have mentioned three maps - combined.

Ignore him, he is crazy math troll. When i talked about multiplication i mean that the game will be huge in all dimensions and it is great. Let's stop sh*tting about square miles.

I hope you're not calling me the troll, when what I said makes complete sense.

EDIT: Again, to clarify, I'm one of the people who support the notion that the map will be huge/big enough. I was just tired of people assuming that rockstar meant additive, when they clearly did not.

InternetKillTV
  • InternetKillTV

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 16:58)
QUOTE (Dick Valor @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 02:01)
QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 06:19)
http://i.imgur.com/hAZWbuC.png

So, assuming IV+RDR+SA+room to spare = 30 square miles or so, is this known area you've depicted roughly half of the map?

Not including the ocean, my map is approximately 14 square miles. I'm expecting the land area of the real map to be under 20 square miles. My scale could be off and the real map could have more or less than 20 square miles of land, so... who knows?

QUOTE (InternetKillTV @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 09:47)

I've got a number of niggles with this map and don't agree with the proportions but good job nonetheless.

List your niggles and let's get them worked out to try to get everything accurate.

I believe everything on my map lines up well according to the screenshots. Also, the sizes and distances are all possible.

My main issue is just the location and shape of the city. It's completely down to interpretation but I feel Kiwi's map portrays what I see more accurately.

Having said, there are 2 main things I have an issue with in all the maps I've seen and that's the location of griffith and the prison/military base (Whatever it is, we don't know, but it's seen behind Vinewood). I feel the base/prison is much nearer to Vinewood than portrayed and as a result the countryside airport too. Your map also seems to portray the big mountain range next to the lake (Of all times why have I suddenly forgotten the name?!) with the river valley that we were analysing a few pages ago as much smaller than I vision it to be. It's not an issue, it just messes with my brain. I feel like everything in your map is smaller than it should be proportion wise.

Anyway, just want to emphasise that I commend you for your mapping work and reiterate that we'll view things different depending on how we interpret them.

Anyway, thoughts?

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:09 AM

Where did all of the pink space come from?

user posted image

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:15 AM

Room to spare? confused.gif

Mnxanr
  • Mnxanr

Michael

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:20 AM Edited by Mnxanr, 19 April 2013 - 01:23 AM.

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 01:09)
Where did all of the pink space come from?

user posted image

I was taking into account the "room to spare", like I said the map was not to scale biggrin.gif

EDIT: I didn't make the statement/image to say "this is precisely what the size of GTA V is like", I just think people were getting the wrong impression, expecting GTA V's map to be SA+IV+RDR side-by-side.

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE (Carmelo2 @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 12:52)
QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 18:03)
QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 11:47)
I think they've stated that the map will be as big as RDR+SA+LC with room to spare without the ocean area.
Just how big would a map encompassing RDR, SA and LC be in terms of square miles?

From IGN:

Rockstar says the map is 3.5 times bigger than Red Dead Redemption -- 5 times bigger if you include topography, as representatives kept talking about be depths of the ocean.

The playable area of RDR is 5.5 square miles. Applying that to the above quote would give you a maximum flat land area of 19.25 square miles. Land plus ocean would be 27.5 square miles.

San Andreas - 14 sq mi

IV - 6.5 sq mi

RDR - 5.5 sq mi

14 + 6.5 + 5.5 = 26 square miles (plus room to spare)

Was San Andreas really three times as big as RDR??

The RDR world seemed HUGE, surley San Andreas couldnt have been that much bigger.

Maybe its because we were on horses all the time, probably made the world seem a lot bigger.

The comparison is a little uneven regarding RDR because that 5.5 square miles is sprawled over a larger area. Instead of accessible water like in GTA games RDR has inaccessible scenery, which gives a different impression. Many travel routes in RDR are long and you can't fly or swim, and with better draw distance you can definitely get an impression that the world is as big or bigger than GTASA. But, yes, the populated and accessible area of RDR is under 6 square miles. It should be noted the areas given for GTASA and GTAIV are 20% and 50% water respectively.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE (GKP @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 06:54)
and people think im wrong when I say LS is f*ckING TINY !!!!!!!!!!!!

But... you are... suicidal.gif

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:52 AM

I've seen alot of people complaining about this, but am I the only one who thinks the foliage looks amazing??

I mean sure each piece individually picked might not look all that sharp, but altogether it looks fantastic. The abundance, the lighting, the grass and even the trees far off in the distance all just go together really well. Maybe it's cause I've been getting used to San Andreas and it's bland textures but I am dying to see the countryside in person (in game tounge.gif )

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:00 AM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 12:07)
QUOTE (Carmelo2 @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 12:52)
QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 18:03)
QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 11:47)
I think they've stated that the map will be as big as RDR+SA+LC with room to spare without the ocean area.
Just how big would a map encompassing RDR, SA and LC be in terms of square miles?

From IGN:

Rockstar says the map is 3.5 times bigger than Red Dead Redemption -- 5 times bigger if you include topography, as representatives kept talking about be depths of the ocean.

The playable area of RDR is 5.5 square miles. Applying that to the above quote would give you a maximum flat land area of 19.25 square miles. Land plus ocean would be 27.5 square miles.

San Andreas - 14 sq mi

IV - 6.5 sq mi

RDR - 5.5 sq mi

14 + 6.5 + 5.5 = 26 square miles (plus room to spare)

Was San Andreas really three times as big as RDR??

The RDR world seemed HUGE, surley San Andreas couldnt have been that much bigger.

Maybe its because we were on horses all the time, probably made the world seem a lot bigger.

The comparison is a little uneven regarding RDR because that 5.5 square miles is sprawled over a larger area. Instead of accessible water like in GTA games RDR has inaccessible scenery, which gives a different impression. Many travel routes in RDR are long and you can't fly or swim, and with better draw distance you can definitely get an impression that the world is as big or bigger than GTASA. But, yes, the populated and accessible area of RDR is under 6 square miles. It should be noted the areas given for GTASA and GTAIV are 20% and 50% water respectively.

Correct. RDR is the epitome of the Rockstar illusion.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:21 AM

RockStarNiko,

You don't think these are the same?

user posted image

QUOTE (InternetKillTV @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 19:06)
My main issue is just the location and shape of the city. It's completely down to interpretation but I feel Kiwi's map portrays what I see more accurately.

Having said, there are 2 main things I have an issue with in all the maps I've seen and that's the location of griffith and the prison/military base (Whatever it is, we don't know, but it's seen behind Vinewood). I feel the base/prison is much nearer to Vinewood than portrayed and as a result the countryside airport too. Your map also seems to portray the big mountain range next to the lake (Of all times why have I suddenly forgotten the name?!) with the river valley that we were analysing a few pages ago as much smaller than I vision it to be. It's not an issue, it just messes with my brain. I feel like everything in your map is smaller than it should be proportion wise.

Anyway, just want to emphasise that I commend you for your mapping work and reiterate that we'll view things different depending on how we interpret them.

Anyway, thoughts?

The "prison" could be moved a little closer on my map. The problem is if it's moved closer, then everything in that area has to move with it to keep things properly positioned. It even affects the alignment of Mt. Zancudo. Plus, that area has to be far enough away to get this view:

user posted image

ChocoFrosty
  • ChocoFrosty

Trolley Surfing

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:30 AM

After V comes out, I really hope we all come back to this thread and reflect on all this speculation/analysis.

It would be really neat to compare how wrong or right we are.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:55 AM

QUOTE (ChocoFrosty @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 21:30)
After V comes out, I really hope we all come back to this thread and reflect on all this speculation/analysis.

I'll definitely be back, but I don't know when. I plan on playing this game very slowly to make it last and I'll be avoiding the forums so nothing gets spoiled. I'd hate to read this thread and find out there's a secret area or something and ruin the surprise.

I might just make a post without reading anyone else's posts.

Mnxanr
  • Mnxanr

Michael

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:07 AM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 03:55)
QUOTE (ChocoFrosty @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 21:30)

I'll definitely be back, but I don't know when. I plan on playing this game very slowly to make it last and I'll be avoiding the forums so nothing gets spoiled. I'd hate to read this thread and find out there's a secret area or something and ruin the surprise.

I might just make a post without reading anyone else's posts.

I definitely agree with the idea of going through the game slowly.

I too am very curious (just as most of us probably are) to see just how close (or far) you all were with your assumptions and drawings.

Still 5 months to go though, however it's certainly been a fun ride.

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 03:21)
RockStarNiko,

You don't think these are the same?

user posted image

I not 100% convinced they are the same.

There are a few screenshots where we can see some kind of town and most people seem to agree that it is the same town in every screenshot and there are a few screenshots where we can see a mountain and most people seem to agree that it is the same mountain in every screenshot.

I wonder to myself, if it is the same town in every screenshot and if it is the same mountain in every screenshot, why are we only seeing one town and one mountain.

Does the map only have one town in it?

I actually think that we are not just seeing the same town from different angles but we are seeing different towns. They look similar from a distance but they are different towns. What they do have in common is they are all coastal towns and lay on the bank of the Alamo Sea, this would explain why they appear similar.

The way I see the Alamo Sea is having around half a dozen towns encircling it, not just one.

If there are many towns, why are we only seeing the same one each time? Same with the mountains.

Also, in various screenshots of the city we see one triangular mountain to the North. If this triangular mountain is located North of Alamo Sea at far Northern end of map, where is the large mountain that is to the west?

In the new screenshot, there are two large mountains in foreground.

One on left is the triangular one, so where is the huge mountain on the right?

We can see how big it is in the trailer when plane goes around it.

We cannot see that mountain in the city screenshots.

The reason we cannot see it in my opinion is because we are not looking at those mountains and the triangular mountain is not one of the mountains in foreground of new screenshot.

milkmansun
  • milkmansun

Detective

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:41 AM

This thread just amazing.. First page containing all the findings just blown my mind.. Great work every one...
cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

Dick Valor
  • Dick Valor

Cold Ass Honky

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 05:02)
I wonder to myself, if it is the same town in every screenshot and if it is the same mountain in every screenshot, why are we only seeing one town and one mountain...

If there are many towns, why are we only seeing the same one each time? Same with the mountains.

R* has said numerous times that they want most of the map to be a surprise. The fact that they keep showing us more of the same is clearly intentional. We've basically seen LS and Blaine Country (where the protags live and where we will most likely be enjoying the first part of the game) over and over again from different perspectives. They still want to wow us with the unseen parts of the map... either later in the marketing campaign or when we finally get the game.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

user posted image

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

I'll be back after the game is released obviously.
I want to see how far or close we were to the real thing.

Besides, I plan on keeping this thread alive after the release.
I will be searching for buildings in the game and their real life counterpart.
It's something I did in IV and I'm counting on you to help this time.

Argon
  • Argon

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (Mnxanr @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 23:59)
QUOTE (omawnakw @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 21:32)
QUOTE (AlienWillHeMonsta @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 20:05)
QUOTE (Mnxanr @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 16:06)
QUOTE (Dick Valor @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 08:01)

It's not IV + RDR + SA it's IV x RDR x SA. In other words the area is multiplicative not additive, it's not going to be IV and RDR and SA side-by-side.

user posted image
Scale is off

EDIT: Added image for clarification.

How did you work out additive or multiplicative? If its multiplicative as you say then you only one of the maps as comparison (the largest one). But r* have mentioned three maps - combined.

Ignore him, he is crazy math troll. When i talked about multiplication i mean that the game will be huge in all dimensions and it is great. Let's stop sh*tting about square miles.

EDIT: Again, to clarify, I'm one of the people who support the notion that the map will be huge/big enough. I was just tired of people assuming that rockstar meant additive, when they clearly did not.

I wouldn't call you a troll. It would be really pathetic if you would go through all this effort. tounge.gif I just think that nobody is really getting your point? I try to understand, but I really can't see what you mean by multiplicative. If someone states 'the area of D is bigger than the area of A,B and C combined', there is just no other way to interpret: D > A + B + C. Additive, without overlap ofcourse. I can imagine the confusion if they said it without 'combined', giving the ilusion that D is bigger than A, and also bigger than B, and also C. But they didn't. And the multiplicative would mean D > A*B*C, which in terms of area is insanely big and has nothing to do with your picture of 'square within square within square'. Whether or not Rockstar are lying in there area statement is another discussion, but there is only one interpretation and that is to add the individual areas of all of those games.

As for coming back after September 17, yes! But only after a month or so. This forum and the internet in general will be avoided as much as possible, because for the first time in my life, I want zero spoilers. Also, I don't want to hear anybody's opinion about V until I have played alot and formed my one. I, unfortunately, tend to take other's critisicism and nagging in my own opinion, and I suddenly start to see things that didn't annoy me at first. tounge.gif After a month or so I'll come back to poll for opinions, and ofcourse to discuss the whole mapping thing. As Fido stated, I might come back to continue mapping of all buildings, because I'm really sad I missed almost all of it in the beginning of this thread. Probably gonna miss all important stuff again if I'm staying away for a month, though mercie_blink.gif

RichyB
  • RichyB

Crush grapes mate. Sorry? You're a grape crusher. Next.

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Are there any pre IV fan maps? To see how right/wrong they were?

BlackandWhite23
  • BlackandWhite23

Lost in the World

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (RichyB @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 14:33)

Well here is da Mapping thread of GTA IV http://www.gtaforums...l=mapping gta 4

RichyB
  • RichyB

Crush grapes mate. Sorry? You're a grape crusher. Next.

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (BlackandWhite23 @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 12:35)
QUOTE (RichyB @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 14:33)

Well here is da Mapping thread of GTA IV http://www.gtaforums...l=mapping gta 4

Thanks, I think I found this in my search but all the images seem to be omitted for me.

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 06:56)
IMG**

No offense but not much of a revelation. Imo GTAkiwi has mapped accurately most (inculding this one) of the angles of camera shots in his map and is the most comprehensive layout until we get some new screens.

sibs44
  • sibs44

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

user posted image

That's pretty f*cking accurate lol.

Argon
  • Argon

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (sibs44 @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 13:00)
*SNIP*

Yeah but somewhere in the screenshot release period, they accidentally released a tiny version of the map on an in-game pc on a police boat. I think that added to the whole mapping thing.

ReliantRodney
  • ReliantRodney

Intrepid explorer

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 06:56)
user posted image

This is great. It's awesome how you can depict so much from so little. cookie.gif

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (Mnxanr @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 10:59)

I'm sure it it multiplicative as you say, rather than additive, but people aren't really misunderstanding, they deliberately phrased it like that so they weren't lying, but also misleading people into the size of the map.

No doubt the map will be huge, but I think some of the statements made are typical marketing type statements where they don't lie, but mislead.

Boss7dm
  • Boss7dm

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (GKP @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 19:47)
Why Boss too small ?

yes

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (Argon @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 13:02)
*SNIP*

Yeah but somewhere in the screenshot release period, they accidentally released a tiny version of the map on an in-game pc on a police boat. I think that added to the whole mapping thing.

Actually, the subway map poster was leaked.

DS 17
  • DS 17

om nom nom

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Argon @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 14:02)
*SNIP*

But even without this fault they created a very accurate map years ago for IV.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users