Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,288 replies to this topic
GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

This is what is infuriating ...long drives ?

3 minutes is not a long drive

neither is 7 or 8 minutes ...7 or 8 minutes would be 7 or 8 miles at highway speeds. You will not be able to drive more than 3 minutes in any one direction in LS city. Thats small to me.

A long 'boring drive' would indeed be 15 minutes...or even 10-12 minutes. Immersion and the feeling you are moving from one neighbourhood to the next takes a little time. With 'hoods' and different areas being so close to each other it gives the impression that LS is just a theme park and not a real city.

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (GKP @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 17:16)

neither is 7 or 8 minutes ...7 or 8 minutes would be 7 or 8 miles at highway speeds. You will not be able to drive more than 3 minutes in any one direction in LS city. Thats small to me.

A long 'boring drive' would indeed be 15 minutes...or even 10-12 minutes. Immersion and the feeling you are moving from one neighbourhood to the next takes a little time. With 'hoods' and different areas being so close to each other it gives the impression that LS is just a theme park and not a real city.

Are you factoring traffic into this? It took longer than 3 minutes to drive from the top of Alderney to Hove Beach in IV.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

Dude can you just let it go, if your disappointed don't play the game. simple.

Argon
  • Argon

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (Freezer89 @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 17:12)
QUOTE (GKP @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 18:57)
There are numerous similar angles of algonquin in IV..what are you saying they prove ?

The city is still only a few minutes across in a car. Its no different than IV city wise.

Wow, someone isn't happy. Just wait for a damn official confirmation from R* about the map (or LS only) size.

And why even complaining about the city being "too small"? If it's the exact same size as IV then I am more than happy. The perfect size. It shouldn't be too large.. or long drives between A to B will be boring quickly. Hell, I would even rather it (LS) being a little smaller than IV.
There is still the rest, other small towns, seas, mountains, forest, desert, hills, beaches, ... it's gonna be massive, dude.

Thank you. This.

Some people seem to think that they (and therefore everybody) somehow deserve a map enormously big. Too big is not good. It is not real life. Getting lost while being chased by cops and having no clue where to go is not fun. I think everybody agrees that the production of sandbox games take about 5 years, and increasing map area is simply going to stretch content. Please, play Just Cause for 2 hours and come back. That map feels massive, and yet at the same time so empty. Rockstar is giving us what they have always given us city-wise (heck, Vice City was small, III was small, San Andreas had filler content), and decided to also include some massive non-city areas. If you still don't like what is happening, don't be V and please don't spam this topic anymore.

This is my last reply into nonsense discussions about opinions on the map. This thread is purely for analysis and contributions through screenshot investigation. I know that at this point it feels like all the possible work probably has been done already, but I'd hate to see this topic turn into a battle about what feels big and what not, and what V needs.

Having said that, I'm thinking about contributing by mapping LS street by street. The general map of LS is not detailed on every street level (IIRC), and I think this is possible. I'm just not sure if I want to spoil myself before playing by looking at every single street and building. confused.gif

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

That's why you have countryside the size of SA and RDR. For a 15 minute drive, they'd probably have to build a huge city and would not have time for anything else, like mountains and deserts, etc. I for one am tired of huge cities, I want off-road terrain, I want to skydive of mountain, I want to jump gorges with ATVs, etc.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

GTA 4 releases- People complain it's nothing but "concrete jungle" with no kind of diversity.

GTA 5- City is too small, yet we have a huge country side with the type of diversity people can enjoy(City, country side, forrests, small towns and even going underwater).

You people are ungrateful.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 06:46)

Hmm...looking at this screen again, I believe the eight lane highway that runs next to the skyscrapers is the same one going over the bridge (or bridges) in the distance. That means the bridges have to be a lot bigger than the 4 lane ones from LC.

It's 8 lanes wide next to the skyscrapers, but the part leading to the bridge is only 4 lanes.

http://i.imgur.com/dS6Ewow.jpg

QUOTE (Argon @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 11:23)

Having said that, I'm thinking about contributing by mapping LS street by street. The general map of LS is not detailed on every street level (IIRC), and I think this is possible. I'm just not sure if I want to spoil myself before playing by looking at every single street and building.  confused.gif

Fido's map has streets.

chop chop
  • chop chop

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

I'll take any game from R* at this point. If danny boy said the map is gonna be a big map in that interview, then I trust ol danny boy statement enough said. I'm sure he wouldn't lie to fans, especially after this brutal wait.

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 17:49)
QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 06:46)

Hmm...looking at this screen again, I believe the eight lane highway that runs next to the skyscrapers is the same one going over the bridge (or bridges) in the distance. That means the bridges have to be a lot bigger than the 4 lane ones from LC.

It's 8 lanes wide next to the skyscrapers, but the part leading to the bridge is only 4 lanes.

http://i.imgur.com/dS6Ewow.jpg

Just rewatched the second trailer, it seems you are right.

GSi
  • GSi

R3B3L

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (iiConTr0v3rSYx @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 17:24)
GTA 4 releases- People complain it's nothing but "concrete jungle" with no kind of diversity.

GTA 5- City is too small, yet we have a huge country side with the type of diversity people can enjoy(City, country side, forrests, small towns and even going underwater).

You people are ungrateful.

I know I will be attempting to scale mountains in a car and drive of it very fast and mangle it up as much as I can lol

Or at the right angle bail out and parachute out like in XXX with the bridge smile.gif

Argon
  • Argon

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 17:49)
QUOTE (Argon @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 11:23)

Having said that, I'm thinking about contributing by mapping LS street by street. The general map of LS is not detailed on every street level (IIRC), and I think this is possible. I'm just not sure if I want to spoil myself before playing by looking at every single street and building.  confused.gif

Fido's map has streets.

Oh I know that, I've studied his map quite often. I'm just wondering if it contains every visible street and building, or just the important, unique ones.

FJT2123
  • FJT2123

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

user posted image
this image also make the city look massive. So everyone stop complaining.

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

Pretty ignorant to just look at pictures. The size of LS has been extrapolated by choco to be barely the size of LC. A 3 square miles city or 3.5 at most is a pretty poor representation of a city over 1000 sq miles in size. No they were not trying to recreate LA but the cutdown CBD is even a bit of a half baked effort.

The countryside is looking fairly large - thats if you have never played any decent mil sim game (225sq km in ARMA2). Its just ok, and would of been an excellent effort if released 3 years ago. For a game we have waited for 5 years for , a better effort to recreate a CITY would of been welcomed.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (Argon @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 19:15)
Oh I know that, I've studied his map quite often. I'm just wondering if it contains every visible street and building, or just the important, unique ones.

It has every street that I can map with the screens and trailers we have so far.
I'm trying to map every road but some are missing cause I can't link them with
other areas that we know about.

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

GKP, aren't you tired of complaining yet? R* tried to make a game that most of the people would like, working on a dated console system, with limited time and resources (like every other company put there). Obviously they will never make everybody happy, but that's to be expected. Complaining won't really get you anything.

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Yeah I know. sad.gif

I get tired of hearing my own complaints sometimes tounge2.gif

abottig
  • abottig

tinyurl.com/2glbsx

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (GKP @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 13:44)
Pretty ignorant to just look at pictures. The size of LS has been extrapolated by choco to be barely the size of LC. A 3 square miles city or 3.5 at most is a pretty poor representation of a city over 1000 sq miles in size. No they were not trying to recreate LA but the cutdown CBD is even a bit of a half baked effort.

The countryside is looking fairly large - thats if you have never played any decent mil sim game (225sq km in ARMA2). Its just ok, and would of been an excellent effort if released 3 years ago. For a game we have waited for 5 years for , a better effort to recreate a CITY would of been welcomed.

Show me 1 game with a map that is as large AND detailed as this one. You cannot.

Don't give me the ARMA example. ARMA is even emptier than Just Cause 2.

GTA sets the bar for open worlds. This game will be no different.

Jonny04
  • Jonny04

Playa

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

I suppose we can hope for Trailer 3 announcement tomorrow as at the moment the topic is a little off track, and we need something to analyse.

I reckon it might be tomorrow due to previous GTA marketing patterns.

One can hope!

The_Majestic
  • The_Majestic

Playa

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (Jonny04 @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 19:55)
I suppose we can hope for Trailer 3 announcement tomorrow as at the moment the topic is a little off track, and we need something to analyse.

I reckon it might be tomorrow due to previous GTA marketing patterns.

One can hope!

don't get me excited

salka
  • salka

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:15 PM Edited by salka, 09 April 2013 - 08:39 PM.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i think, in every GTA game before, if there was a railroad, it was looped over the map. When I was studding GTAKiwi's map (it's pretty convincing for me), there is a rail bridge right on the NW edge of the map. Maybe there is something behind those mountains yet? What do you think? ( sorry for my English confused.gif )

Mr. Darko
  • Mr. Darko

My lies are better.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (salka @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:15)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but i think, in every GTA game before, if there was a railroad, it was looped over the map. When I was studding GTAKiwi's map (it's pretty convincing for me), there is a rail bridge right on the NW edge of the map. Maybe there are something behind those mountains yet? What do you think? ( sorry for my English  confused.gif )

Yes, that's not the whole map. It's just a map of what we've seen so far and what could be contextualized.

cannabinos
  • cannabinos

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Nothing. This is end of map, because map is very small.

EnviousBird
  • EnviousBird

Snitch

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (cannabinos @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:22)

So is your weiner

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

Capitol Crusader

• The Connection
  • Ireland
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2015
    Contribution Award [GTA Online]
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Top c*nt 👍

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (EnviousBird @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 21:37)
QUOTE (cannabinos @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:22)

So is your weiner

lol lol.gif

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

Ill repost my post here;

For comparison:
Original Los Santos ( on rage engine so you see the distance)
user posted image

user posted image

On the first pic u see it really not much bigger. Probably same size as San Andreas Los Santos

EnviousBird
  • EnviousBird

Snitch

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (iNero @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 22:20)
Ill repost my post here;

For comparison:
Original Los Santos ( on rage engine so you see the distance)
user posted image

user posted image

On the first pic u see it really not much bigger. Probably same size as San Andreas Los Santos

so you're implying that GTA V LS will be about as big as the GTA SA LS?
You're trolling/joking or something aren't you?

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

If u have eyes in your head u would clearly see it.

EnviousBird
  • EnviousBird

Snitch

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (iNero @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 22:31)

If YOU had any eyes in your head, you'd clearly see that LS from GTA SA is way smaller than the LS from GTA V.
GTA V isn't even out yet so we haven't even seen everyting yet

initium
  • initium

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (EnviousBird @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 22:33)
QUOTE (iNero @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 22:31)

If YOU had any eyes in your head, you'd clearly see that LS from GTA SA is way smaller than the LS from GTA V.
GTA V isn't even out yet so we haven't even seen everyting yet

It is quite obvious that GTA V Los Santos is waaaay bigger

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

So compare this with the one above

user posted image

The harbor part and the stuff between is almost the same size. Now add the stuff on the other side of the skyscraper

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users