Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,212 replies to this topic
mickawes
  • mickawes

Peon

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (GKP @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 21:38)
1st pic has the barrel vision I hope to god they rid of in 1st person view.

Your not kidding anyone R* , stop trying to make things look far away.

wish you would be far away from this topic

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (mickawes @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 13:47)
QUOTE (GKP @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 21:38)
1st pic has the barrel vision I hope to god they rid of in 1st person view.

Your not kidding anyone R* , stop trying to make things look far away.

wish you would be far away from this topic

Well, that picture is distorted.

bakerach
  • bakerach

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

They really did use that distortion big time in IV (especially when driving -- super tunnel vision), but most of the screenshots we've seen so far have been longer "lenses," giving a more realistic view to what we actually see in real life. The promo screenshots for IV mostly used the same wide-angle tricks that the game did, and the screenshots for V make everything look like it will actually be closer to real scale. I think the US Bank tower in V is going to be bigger than the Empire State in IV.

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

nah mick. Think il stay and say my piece. After all its just a discussion. MAPPING ANALYSIS you know..talking bout the MAP...

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (jbte @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 12:03)
Hope these images explains why I believe grapeseed is located west Mt. Zancudo... (actually in all 3 images, Mt Zancudo its not shown...)

[IMG]http://s22.postimg.o...w35/rendft1.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://s22.postimg.o...m5t/rendft2.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://s22.postimg.o...b5d/rendft3.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://s22.postimg.o...ze9/rendft4.jpg[IMG]

Edit: The same mountain in yellow, it's the same mountain to this one...
[IMG]http://s18.postimg.o...tm1/rendft5.jpg[/MG]

I'm not sure the yellow mountain in this pic - http://s22.postimg.o...b5d/rendft3.jpg is the same as the one in the highway and Grapeseed pictures.

Also, in this pic - http://s18.postimg.o...tm1/rendft5.jpg wouldn't the runway have to be south of the highway for it to work?

bakerach
  • bakerach

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 17:47)

There's no way that the city is 4 miles wide.

user posted image

The screenshots from V are taken from about 2x farther away from the reference buildings than the screenshot from IV. That means the distance you've marked in Los Santos will take you about 2x as long to drive as the distance you've marked in IV. The camera in IV makes things that are close look farther away by using almost an extremely wide-angle lens (thing 20mm in photography terms). The screenshots from V seem to be more realistic in terms of scale, with the lenses somewhere around 50mm-85mm.

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

Bake...

I appreciate the sentiment of your point but your wrong . The two buildings (empire state and US bank) would not be equal sized ( close in real life and close in pic ) if the FOV was significantly different. A '20mm' lens would appear to make the empire state VERY small in the IV pic. It looks closer to a 35mm. Indeed the V pic is probably closer to 50 mm. You do have a point but I think its nowhere near double. Maybe 1.2 difference in scale.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (bakerach @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 14:28)

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/a2EmOyK.jpg[IMG]

The screenshots from V are taken from about 2x farther away from the reference buildings than the screenshot from IV. That means the distance you've marked in Los Santos will take you about 2x as long to drive as the distance you've marked in IV. The camera in IV makes things that are close look farther away by using almost an extremely wide-angle lens (thing 20mm in photography terms). The screenshots from V seem to be more realistic in terms of scale, with the lenses somewhere around 50mm-85mm.

About lenses and focal lengths - http://i.imgur.com/pzjMb.jpg

Mnxanr
  • Mnxanr

Michael

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:25 PM Edited by Mnxanr, 08 April 2013 - 09:29 PM.

QUOTE (GKP @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 19:23)
Yes  - city is still a pip squeak tho.

Go to another suburb - oh its 30 seconds away.

Can't believe you keep coming back here saying the same old thing. Why not just add your thoughts to your signature, that way you won't even need to type anymore! suicidal.gif

---
In regards to comparing the size of LC to LS, most of you are comparing apples to oranges. Some of you are referring to GTA IV's total landmass, while others are comparing it in regards to GTA IV's map as a whole (including the water in between).

That being said, if Liberty City was combined into 1 giant landmass and the water in between was taken away, then Los Santos in GTA V would be as big as Liberty City in GTA IV. That's all there is to it.

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

excellent idea ! biggrin.gif

Mnxanr
  • Mnxanr

Michael

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (GKP @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 21:26)
excellent idea ! biggrin.gif

lol.gif

bakerach
  • bakerach

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 21:04)

I've seen this image posted in reference to mapping LS before, but it doesn't mean what you're using it to mean. The problem isn't the distance between buildings, or however you seem to think that image supports your idea, the problem is that the skyscrapers you're using as your scale references are not the same height. You're working off a flawed starting point, due to the wide-angle distortion of the GTA IV camera.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:36 AM

QUOTE (bakerach @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 17:12)

I've seen this image posted in reference to mapping LS before, but it doesn't mean what you're using it to mean. The problem isn't the distance between buildings, or however you seem to think that image supports your idea, the problem is that the skyscrapers you're using as your scale references are not the same height. You're working off a flawed starting point, due to the wide-angle distortion of the GTA IV camera.

That image means exactly what I'm using it to mean. Those buildings are based on real buildings. The landmark buildings in IV were scaled correctly, so it's pretty safe to assume that they'd properly scale the tallest building in Los Angeles. If for some reason they didn't, would it make sense to make it larger than real life which would make the city look smaller? I don't think so.

Just in case those 2 buildings aren't the same height, here's a side-by-side of the cities in the image I used:

user posted image

To me, Los Santos looks a little too big.

Onto the subject of image distortion...

user posted image

Which side is leaning?

Look at the whole picture and you can see how everything tilts away from the center.

user posted image

JuventusFC
  • JuventusFC

Vincere non importante, ma l'unica cosa che conta

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 03:47)
So you're expecting 45 square miles of total land area with a 15 square mile city?

Yes. 15 sq mile city is too big though.

trevors685
  • trevors685

poo poo head

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:03 AM

user posted image
No more bitching about the size of Los Santos.

VATG
  • VATG

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:10 AM

same place - different angle

user posted image

user posted image
user posted image

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:39 AM

Yeah, many seem to think that's a prison. I'm dieing to see the military base.

JuventusFC
  • JuventusFC

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE (VATG @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 12:10)

user posted image

Well that's quite disappointing... that looked like it would be far away from LS.

Cyberzone2
  • Cyberzone2

Zee's assistant and Resident Troll

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE (JuventusFC @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 02:41)

user posted image

Well that's quite disappointing... that looked like it would be far away from LS.

WTF? The military air base is soo near to LS Vinewood .

The map seems smaller

Boss7dm
  • Boss7dm

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:05 AM

user posted image

and so? I think is good!

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:08 AM

QUOTE (Cyberzone2 @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 21:01)

The map seems smaller

That's probably not the military base.

JuventusFC
  • JuventusFC

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE (Cyberzone2 @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 13:01)

The map seems smaller

Looks more like a prison. But yes, the map seems much smaller now. Maybe not, but I wasn't expecting that.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:18 AM

The map seems small because nearly every image is taken in the sky.

Kjax39
  • Kjax39

Playa

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

I've been saying this map looks small for forever. The fact that they're saying RDR, IV, and San Andreas combined more than likely includes interior space....and of course it includes underwater. Map isn't gonna be big though.

EDIT: I'm willing to bet surface area is smaller than San Andreas.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:16 AM Edited by iNero, 09 April 2013 - 04:19 AM.

QUOTE (Cyberzone2 @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 03:01)

user posted image

The map seems smaller

This just looks like a little town or container place to me. There are luke no fences no towers or space for vehicles tbh. Where is the jet and the runway for it? Even though its a harrier it needs quite some space. Tanks and choppers missing too. It looks way too small and less populated for a military base.
Looks ore like a prison to me
But these pics actually show me that the scale isnt as big as we want it to be. At least untik there is anither very bug part of the map which we didnt saw yet

bakerach
  • bakerach

Trick

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 00:36)
QUOTE (bakerach @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 17:12)

That image means exactly what I'm using it to mean. Those buildings are based on real buildings. The landmark buildings in IV were scaled correctly, so it's pretty safe to assume that they'd properly scale the tallest building in Los Angeles. If for some reason they didn't, would it make sense to make it larger than real life which would make the city look smaller? I don't think so.

Just in case those 2 buildings aren't the same height, here's a side-by-side of the cities in the image I used:

user posted image

To me, Los Santos looks a little too big.

Onto the subject of image distortion...

user posted image

Which side is leaning?

Look at the whole picture and you can see how everything tilts away from the center.

user posted image

Drawing lines doesn't make this comparison any more valid... if you look at the picture where you put the two cities together, you can see how clear it is that the screenshot from V was taken from a higher elevation than the shot from IV. I applaud the effort, but what you're trying to do isn't possible given the information we have.

FJT2123
  • FJT2123

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:07 AM

Notice how big each of those satellite dishes are though. Each one is larger the the width of a street. That's pretty big. They are further than they appear.

Threepwood
  • Threepwood

Calm like a bomb.

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

Even if the map was smaller than everyone in here expected - its for sure still bigger than San Andreas. Given that, I remember how much fun we had in SA with its "small" size, giving tons of options and different landscapes,
not to forget how much space we had for including new maps, modding stuff and still there was space left to not interfere with mission controlled places or actions. Thats what I really miss in IV. Options, space, and opportunities to drive 10 minutes in Sand, in the air or whereever
I can place just another track map without it being floating in the air. I'd die for starting all over again doing houses, garages, EPM'ed building stuff like I did in GTA SA. IV didn't give that option because everything was frikking city. Just import IV and SA into 3ds max - man thats a huge difference to how big it looks ingame.

Tho I am with FJT - it looks huge whatever lenses or camera angles say. The wideness of the freeway (6lanes? wtf..), the hugeness of the telescopes - I don't really mind if I need 5 or 10 minutes through the city. IV took less than 5 minutes, and then the map ended. In V at this point just the countryside starts.

JuventusFC
  • JuventusFC

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

Is this picture deceiving/fake or LS really this big?

user posted image

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE (JuventusFC @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 05:22)
Is this picture deceiving/fake or LS really this big?

It's really that big I think. Look at the way the lights are lined up, you can clearly see there are actual roads and not just randomly appearing LODs.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users