|QUOTE (J-B @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 17:15)|
| Seriously, that looks like it took a lot of effort man. Great job Kiwi. |
Thanks, and it did take a good few hours to make.
|QUOTE (lxr @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 19:53)|
This is very impressive. Great job!
The best thing about it is probably that your map hasn't changed much, i.e. that is was, overall, correct months ago. But I guess it's all in the details... I quite like the mountain shapes, they're actually recognizable, and so the new map gives a good idea about the northeastern edge of the known territory, too.
A couple of old and new mysteries:
- The area behind the Observatory. Is there a larger unknown area, or not? I once thought there was, then wasn't convinced anymore. I think your map leaves both options... it has that unknown triangle, but then maybe you can also just cut it out and connect its two edges.
- Grapeseed (24). Does this postcard show the same universe? While there may be enough space where you put it, the angle of the Vinewood Hills suggests it's much closer to the Alamo River (10) and Mt. Boot. The vegetation would match, but is there enough space there?
- The new, elevated highway (15). I remember jbte once had the idea of an elevated highway around there... and here it is. It may originate in East LS, but where does it lead to? Isn't it too close to the other freeway, wouldn't it have to intersect with it? But we haven't seen any trace of that, and a highway interchange is usually rather massive. Otherwise, do we expect it to bend right (to the east) soon after the spot shown in the new screen?
- The motorcyclists near the highway bridge (19). The way the river bends (see 6), I think this should take place north of the river, not south of it. Or do you think this shot is looking across the gorge?
- The area between Vinewood Hill and the dam. Your markup of mountains in (7) suggests you agree with Fido, and the shot shows that gap. Even though both of you may be right, I still don't find it easy to reconcile that perspective with what we see in (1) and (24).
- And finally (17), H or E, still a mystery. I still think E, given these two shots, which, to my eyes, show the same mountain as (17).
Yeah my old map was still correct, I just wanted to make a more accurate map.
Now to answer your questions,
- My old map had a smaller mountain range there, but making this new map has made me think there might be larger mountain range to the west of the Observatory.
There is some guess work with the mountain directly behind the Observatory, as there are not very many pictures looking at that area, and the pictures that do
show that area are all from a distance.
- Looking at the Grapeseed location again, I probably put it a bit to far to the east. I should have put it somewhere near the base of the 'I' mountain.
- Picture 15 is a guess, that's why I have the ? next to it. Also that area is probably bigger than than I have it on my map. It's probably my bad scaling that makes
it look so close to the other highway.
- That motorbike race location was on the north side of the river in my old map, but looking at the way that bridge is heading in picture 6, and then in the picture 19,
it doesn't really look like it can be on the north side of the river, due to the way the bridge is heading in the background. It's just that to me it looks like it's impossible
to get that view(pic 19) of the bridge from the north side of the river when you look at it in picture 6. I could be wrong though.
- I actually had my locations marked up before I saw Fido's thoughts on those mountains. If you look at picture 11 and see the way it's looking at the T, S, and R,
hills from Vinewood hill, I'm not so sure the Vinewood hill could be 'P' in picture 7. But again, I could be wrong.
- I have no idea if it's E of H, hence the ? next to it. But going by my map, it looks like the sight line would line up with H, which is why I put H there. But I could have
the location of the hills north of the city incorrectly positioned. Or it could just be due to the scale of everything being off that is making it looking like H instead of E.
Or maybe those two pictures you said about are looking at a different angle to the picture I have in my map.