Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,080 replies to this topic
countrymike84
  • countrymike84

honky tonker

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:29 AM

Was there any screenshots or places in the trailer, that shown the area below the dam? like the Pasadena area?

I actually don't think we have seen any areas below the dam. All we have is that dam screenshot from the GI article sadly. Rockstar might be hiding that area until release.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:42 AM

Hey guy's just want to ask is there any evidence to support Malibu being in the game? Just seems as if , scaled down, it would be a pretty fun place to go on a rampage with the hills and such.

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:47 AM

The size of Los Santos on it's own is about 1 liberty city and a halve!!!

Mnxanr
  • Mnxanr

Michael

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:11 AM

QUOTE (dyz @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 01:47)

If you only consider the land and neglect the water, then yes! biggrin.gif icon14.gif

GTAKiwi
  • GTAKiwi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:41 AM

Here is my new and more accurate map. There are still plenty of errors on it though. The worst issue
is the scale of the mountains/lake being to big, or to small. There is also still some small sight
line issues.

It can be quite tricky to tell exactly how big something should be, when all the pictures have different
height, zoom, angle, FOV, etc.

So while my new map is still nowhere near being 100% accurate, at least it should give you a good idea
of how the countryside fits together.

The map kinda has a 3D look to it, but it is actually a top on map. It looks 3D due to me drawing the
ridge of each mountain to help you know which mountain you're looking at.

On the sight line map, anything with a ? next to it means I'm not sure if it's correct or not.

Click for huge map.
user posted image

Click for huge sightline map.
user posted image

J-B
  • J-B

Syrup Drenched

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:15 AM Edited by J-B, 07 April 2013 - 04:17 AM.

Seriously, that looks like it took a lot of effort man. Great job Kiwi.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:53 AM Edited by lxr, 07 April 2013 - 06:58 AM.

QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 03:41)
Click for huge sightline map.
user posted image

This is very impressive. Great job!

The best thing about it is probably that your map hasn't changed much, i.e. that is was, overall, correct months ago. But I guess it's all in the details... I quite like the mountain shapes, they're actually recognizable, and so the new map gives a good idea about the northeastern edge of the known territory, too.

A couple of old and new mysteries:

- The area behind the Observatory. Is there a larger unknown area, or not? I once thought there was, then wasn't convinced anymore. I think your map leaves both options... it has that unknown triangle, but then maybe you can also just cut it out and connect its two edges.

- Grapeseed (24). Does this postcard show the same universe? While there may be enough space where you put it, the angle of the Vinewood Hills suggests it's much closer to the Alamo River (10) and Mt. Boot. The vegetation would match, but is there enough space there?

- The new, elevated highway (15). I remember jbte once had the idea of an elevated highway around there... and here it is. It may originate in East LS, but where does it lead to? Isn't it too close to the other freeway, wouldn't it have to intersect with it? But we haven't seen any trace of that, and a highway interchange is usually rather massive. Otherwise, do we expect it to bend right (to the east) soon after the spot shown in the new screen?

- The motorcyclists near the highway bridge (19). The way the river bends (see 6), I think this should take place north of the river, not south of it. Or do you think this shot is looking across the gorge?

- The area between Vinewood Hill and the dam. Your markup of mountains in (7) suggests you agree with Fido, and the shot shows that gap. Even though both of you may be right, I still don't find it easy to reconcile that perspective with what we see in (1) and (24).

- And finally (17), H or E, still a mystery. I still think E, given these two shots, which, to my eyes, show the same mountain as (17).

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

And a few more questions about the newest screenshots:

In A, what's the highrise in the foreground, at the very left edge? We're east of the LS river, right?

In B, assuming this is 4th Street Bridge, then where are we looking, and what's the mountain in the background?

In C, have we seen the mountain(s) between the motorcycle and the car before, in any other unrelated shot?

A
user posted image

B
user posted image

C
user posted image

Threepwood
  • Threepwood

Calm like a bomb.

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (VATG @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 00:48)
anyone have a clue what this could be? (maybe just some texture issues/bug?)

[big image]

In my opinion thats the Grapeseed/Vineyards.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

GTAKiwi and all the mappers: Is this is? Is there going to be anything else further north?

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (Ferocious Banger @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 14:13)
GTAKiwi and all the mappers: Is this is? Is there going to be anything else further north?

As mentioned quite a few times: There's a train tunnel leading north -- so yes, there's more territory there. Same for the eastern edge of the map: the game doesn't end there.

Irrational
  • Irrational

Federação das Américas

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

user posted image

^If you mean this Liberty City, then I agree.

If you mean the Liberty City from the 3D and HD Era, then you are completely wrong.

EnviousBird
  • EnviousBird

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (ClaudeSpeedRulez @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 16:26)

user posted image

If you mean the Liberty City from the 3D and HD Era, then you are completely wrong.

Maybe YOU are completely wrong.

it's obvious that LS is going to be bigger than twice the LC from GTA III era, we'll see how it compares to LC from IV

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

user posted image

I'm afraid YOU are more wrong. LS in GTAV > LC in GTAIV. Confirmed by R*. Thank you, come again.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 12:22)

user posted image

I'm afraid YOU are more wrong. LS in GTAV > LC in GTAIV. Confirmed by R*. Thank you, come again.

Nothing's really been confirmed. It's all too vague at this point. For instance, they didn't mention exactly which areas are included in the measurements. Is the dam part of Los Santos? Is there a sparsely-populated area north of the observatory that's considered Los Santos? Are they measuring the water or just the land in IV?

At this point, what we've been shown of Los Santos could definitely be smaller than Liberty City.

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 19:07)
QUOTE (kesta195 @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 12:22)

user posted image

Nothing's really been confirmed. It's all too vague at this point. For instance, they didn't mention exactly which areas are included in the measurements. Is the dam part of Los Santos? Is there a sparsely-populated area north of the observatory that's considered Los Santos? Are they measuring the water or just the land in IV?

At this point, what we've been shown of Los Santos could definitely be smaller than Liberty City.

The same could be said for LC, in terms of where they are measuring from. They did say that 'LS covers more square-footing', which is enough for me.

WolfbackGames
  • WolfbackGames

Keep things real.

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

Yes there most likely is. We haven't seen the military base yet (which is confirmed to exist). I'm assuming there is a decent chunk north of what we've seen yet to be shown.

artificialguy
  • artificialguy

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 14:44)

As mentioned quite a few times: There's a train tunnel leading north -- so yes, there's more territory there. Same for the eastern edge of the map: the game doesn't end there.

But on the other side train can go along coastline and then take a loop and go south back to the city. We don't know what's behind the mountain.
However, I'm pretty sure Rockstar haven't showed us everything and there is still more to discover.

cannabinos
  • cannabinos

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

Los Santos size = Liberty City GTA IV size

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (cannabinos @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 22:46)
Los Santos size = Liberty City GTA IV size

Yeah your right! But los santos in GTA 5 might be slightly bigger because if the game is red dead, san andreas and gta 4 combined, it must have at least halve the size of red dead in the city alone, (Red dead is the size of gta 4 roughly). For the people who think that the city is small are wrong because you haven't played the game and the camera angle that show the game in the pictures make it look small!

GTAKiwi
  • GTAKiwi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (J-B @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 17:15)
Seriously, that looks like it took a lot of effort man. Great job Kiwi.

Thanks, and it did take a good few hours to make.

QUOTE (lxr @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 19:53)

This is very impressive. Great job!

The best thing about it is probably that your map hasn't changed much, i.e. that is was, overall, correct months ago. But I guess it's all in the details... I quite like the mountain shapes, they're actually recognizable, and so the new map gives a good idea about the northeastern edge of the known territory, too.

A couple of old and new mysteries:

- The area behind the Observatory. Is there a larger unknown area, or not? I once thought there was, then wasn't convinced anymore. I think your map leaves both options... it has that unknown triangle, but then maybe you can also just cut it out and connect its two edges.

- Grapeseed (24). Does this postcard show the same universe? While there may be enough space where you put it, the angle of the Vinewood Hills suggests it's much closer to the Alamo River (10) and Mt. Boot. The vegetation would match, but is there enough space there?

- The new, elevated highway (15). I remember jbte once had the idea of an elevated highway around there... and here it is. It may originate in East LS, but where does it lead to? Isn't it too close to the other freeway, wouldn't it have to intersect with it? But we haven't seen any trace of that, and a highway interchange is usually rather massive. Otherwise, do we expect it to bend right (to the east) soon after the spot shown in the new screen?

- The motorcyclists near the highway bridge (19). The way the river bends (see 6), I think this should take place north of the river, not south of it. Or do you think this shot is looking across the gorge?

- The area between Vinewood Hill and the dam. Your markup of mountains in (7) suggests you agree with Fido, and the shot shows that gap. Even though both of you may be right, I still don't find it easy to reconcile that perspective with what we see in (1) and (24).

- And finally (17), H or E, still a mystery. I still think E, given these two shots, which, to my eyes, show the same mountain as (17).

Thanks.
Yeah my old map was still correct, I just wanted to make a more accurate map.

Now to answer your questions,
- My old map had a smaller mountain range there, but making this new map has made me think there might be larger mountain range to the west of the Observatory.
There is some guess work with the mountain directly behind the Observatory, as there are not very many pictures looking at that area, and the pictures that do
show that area are all from a distance.

- Looking at the Grapeseed location again, I probably put it a bit to far to the east. I should have put it somewhere near the base of the 'I' mountain.

- Picture 15 is a guess, that's why I have the ? next to it. Also that area is probably bigger than than I have it on my map. It's probably my bad scaling that makes
it look so close to the other highway.

- That motorbike race location was on the north side of the river in my old map, but looking at the way that bridge is heading in picture 6, and then in the picture 19,
it doesn't really look like it can be on the north side of the river, due to the way the bridge is heading in the background. It's just that to me it looks like it's impossible
to get that view(pic 19) of the bridge from the north side of the river when you look at it in picture 6. I could be wrong though.

- I actually had my locations marked up before I saw Fido's thoughts on those mountains. If you look at picture 11 and see the way it's looking at the T, S, and R,
hills from Vinewood hill, I'm not so sure the Vinewood hill could be 'P' in picture 7. But again, I could be wrong.

- I have no idea if it's E of H, hence the ? next to it. But going by my map, it looks like the sight line would line up with H, which is why I put H there. But I could have
the location of the hills north of the city incorrectly positioned. Or it could just be due to the scale of everything being off that is making it looking like H instead of E.
Or maybe those two pictures you said about are looking at a different angle to the picture I have in my map.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 17:54)
- Looking at the Grapeseed location again, I probably put it a bit to far to the east. I should have put it somewhere near the base of the 'I' mountain.

I think Grapeseed is up in the mountains and that it's probably in the same area as the cropduster scene in trailer 1.

http://i.imgur.com/OCp1Fm3.jpg

It would have to be elevated or you'd be able to see the T,S, and R hills on your map in the Grapeseed picture.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

To the multiple mappers- where exactly is the vineyard seen in trailer 1 in comparison to the rest of the map?

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:34 AM

QUOTE (Niko Vercetti 112 @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 18:43)
To the multiple mappers- where exactly is the vineyard seen in trailer 1 in comparison to the rest of the map?

In case you didn't see my post above yours since you posted just 3 minutes after me...

I think it would be in the same area as Grapeseed. It could be anywhere in the red box below:

user posted image

It's not in the ocean. I just extended it because there could be more land up there. It's just about impossible to determine how far away it could be.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:39 AM

And to think, we haven't even seen the military base/most of the Grapeseed areas yet.

KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

Chin up, Cheer up. Chin up.

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:44 AM

QUOTE (kmlwin.1996 @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 11:57)
user posted image

This.

Mt. Chilliad will be apart of a snowy mountain range that will extend to the north portions of the map. You'll be able to ski/snowboard in places like Big Bear (and other snow towns). Any thoughts on this?

jbte
  • jbte

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 02:34)
QUOTE (Niko Vercetti 112 @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 18:43)

In case you didn't see my post above yours since you posted just 3 minutes after me...

I think it would be in the same area as Grapeseed. It could be anywhere in the red box below:

It's not in the ocean. I just extended it because there could be more land up there. It's just about impossible to determine how far away it could be.

How about grapeseed around the green circle?
user posted image

Looks like it's inclined to the other side...
I've studied this and your other quote, again, my Mt. Zancudo in my map is wrong... there seems to be an open valley between LS and Mt. Zancudo where the farming area should be...

jbte
  • jbte

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:46 AM

Map updated according to latest statement...
user posted image

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE (jbte @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 20:54)
How about grapeseed around the green circle?

I had thought about putting it to the west of Mt. Zancudo and this image suggests that it could be on that side:

user posted image

I think it would have to be farther away though. If it is on that side, could the mountain marked below be Mt. Zancudo?

user posted image

And if it is, could Grapeseed and the vineyard scene in trailer 1 be in the hills here...

user posted image

It's really hard to tell and I would say either side of Mt. Zancudo is possible. I think it's more likely on the east side though. This mapping stuff is hard! tounge.gif

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

©

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 11:07)

I really don't think so.. look at this image at the very far left, lthe city spans as far as you can see, same going right as well. I think it's going to be atleast as large as LC if not larger if it spans into the hills.

user posted image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users