Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,517 replies to this topic
rsgtafan
  • rsgtafan

Aka SenseiKOFF

• Members

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

Been reading this topic since the first page. Much respect to yall. Especially fido, choco taco and gifbrah. Much love and cookies.

Fail_At_GTA
  • Fail_At_GTA

Actually awesome at GTA

• Members

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:50 PM

I think we can all agree we will need a bottle of windex once we see the actual map.

Anyway, the map is much larger than what is mapped out so far. Theres going to be many details within that map aswell, it wont just be empty space. Im confident all the whiney people who are saying "Omg the map is sooo much smaller than I expected! sad.gif" will soon change their mind.

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:14 AM

30 square miles would be ideal and realistic for many, but it seems Rockstar are pushing that 30sqmi.

GTAKiwi
  • GTAKiwi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE (stayupthere @ Saturday, Apr 6 2013, 01:35)
Hey that's awesome! You made an awesome map the first time round. It'd be cool to see some of the new images added and a little more city detail (if poss)!  biggrin.gif
If it helps you could look into conceptualising it in 3D either digitally or with clay to get your bearings. Awesome work!

Thanks stayupthere.
At this stage I've only got the top of the city on my mew map, and I probably won't be adding the rest. Fido already has an awesome
map of the city, so I'm more focused on trying to make a map of the countryside as accurately as I can.

QUOTE (Argon @ Saturday, Apr 6 2013, 03:16)
And GTAKiwi, I think everyone's wants you to finish your new map, and I think we can all agree that estimating distances based on screenshots (therefore scaling correctly) is the hardest thing in this thread. Good luck on it and I cant wait to see your 'sightlines'. You mean visible lines showing the location and orientation of screenshots right? All of them, or the new ones?

I hope you're not expecting a super awesome looking map. While I am using the GIMP to make this map instead of MS Paint, I'm still
using the same style as my last map. Although I may texture it once I'm finished to make it look a bit better.
The sight lines I was talking about in my last post(s), was about using sight lines from the pictures to place where things are on my
new map. However I will be including a map with sight lines like you said though, but it'll only be for the countryside screenshots.

Also to the guys that were talking about the other train bridge further up that valley. I'm not so sure it is a train bridge, as it has, what
looks like street lights on that bridge. Why would that train bridge have street lights, but the train bridge we can clearly see doesn't
have them?

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:14 AM

QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Friday, Apr 5 2013, 20:14)
Also to the guys that were talking about the other train bridge further up that valley. I'm not so sure it is a train bridge, as it has, what
looks like street lights on that bridge. Why would that train bridge have street lights, but the train bridge we can clearly see doesn't
have them?

It's hard to tell what those are. They don't appear uniform like street lights, but that might just be the way they're drawing in from that distance.

Could they be power line towers behind the bridge? There are a lot of them in the game.

user posted image

Jamie Smith
  • Jamie Smith

"The King Has Risen!" - MJ

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:32 AM

Does anyone know what Wine Country is based on??
I know IGN or Gamer Informer said there'll be a wine country but i dont know when/where.

John Footpenis
  • John Footpenis

Thug

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:04 AM

@Choco I don't know if it was you or not but your most recent map size estimation was just posted on the Gamefaqs forums.

@Jamie I'm guessing they were referring to the vineyard from trailer 1 where those Hispanic people were working and the crop-duster flew overhead.

Jamie Smith
  • Jamie Smith

"The King Has Risen!" - MJ

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:24 AM

QUOTE (John Footpenis @ Saturday, Apr 6 2013, 05:04)
@Jamie I'm guessing they were referring to the vineyard from trailer 1 where those Hispanic people were working and the crop-duster flew overhead.

Awh Right. i thought they were referring to a place in game called Wine Country.

The Hippie
  • The Hippie

Long haired freak

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE (Jamie Smith @ Saturday, Apr 6 2013, 04:32)
I know IGN or Gamer Informer said there'll be a wine country but i dont know when/where.

My guess, is that it's based on an Oxnard/Camarillo type area. Complete guess though.

jbte
  • jbte

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

Hello, I completed the whole GTA V map in 3D, including mountains and well known landmarks... i've compared my map version with in game pictures, making most possible accurate to the final map... (10 pictures in total, sorry for that many)
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Final map, in result with the images, click for better resolution..
user posted image

Hope you like this new version of the map smile.gif

WolfbackGames
  • WolfbackGames

Keep things real.

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:17 AM Edited by WolfbackGames, 06 April 2013 - 08:23 AM.

QUOTE (jbte @ Saturday, Apr 6 2013, 08:11)
Hello, I completed the whole GTA V map in 3D, including mountains and well known landmarks... i've compared my map version with in game pictures, making most possible accurate to the final map... (10 pictures in total, sorry for that many)

*awesome sauce here*

Hope you like this new version of the map  smile.gif

Holy sh*t.

Edit: Also, is there a way for us to look around the model ourselves, maybe a download link?

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:18 AM Edited by GKP, 06 April 2013 - 08:27 AM.

Considering the city will only be around 3.5 sq miles. The entire map you have rendered there JBTE is only around 11/12 sq miles of land (incl lake) thats smaller than SA. Unless you have just drawn what we know. Still think the scale is a little off for the countryside.

Not trying to be an ars**le , just certain cam views like 18,19, 39 mean you have placed certain entities to close to each other. Interesting to see the general layout nonetheless.

/Tuomaz
  • /Tuomaz

ドリフト

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

Very nice, jbte

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

This map is much better than the previous one jbte. Great job !
It is aesthetically awesome icon14.gif

KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

Chin up, Cheer up. Chin up.

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (Jamie Smith @ Saturday, Apr 6 2013, 04:32)

Either Malibu or the wine country in the Temecula/Riverside region (that is close to Palm Springs in RL)

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Friday, Apr 5 2013, 21:33)
QUOTE (kesta195 @ Friday, Apr 5 2013, 20:53)
Something interesting to consider is that in the valley we have seen in the north/north west area of the map there are two railway bridges running north through the mountains at the very north of the current area we have seen. That means there must be an area of considerable size north of these mountains that we haven't seen so much as a glimpse of yet. I'm hoping for a snowy, high altitude alpine area, which they would understandable want to keep hidden until closer to release. To anyone that has played Uncharted 2: remember the train level where you entered the extremely long train tunnel in a tropical environment and when you finally emerged you were high in the Himalayas, with snow everywhere? Imagine that with GTAV, minus the tropics and the Himalayas replaced with the San Gabriel range.

You're saying something very interesting here.
Yes, there are two train bridges in that valley with the guy parachuting and Trevor's train crashing).
That means there is quite a large area north of that mountain range otherwise what's the point of having TWO FRAKING RAILWAYS going through ????
This is making me very very confident about the map size. The area north of these mountains should be at least the same size as what we have south
of the Alamo Sea. And we haven't see anything about the eastern part of the map.
This is big people ! seriously big !
Thanks for pointing that out kesta, it makes a lot of sense. wink.gif

No problem, it definitely is exciting biggrin.gif It is worth noting that these tracks will almost definitely loop around and meet each other at some point on the other side of those mountains, but still if there was nothing over there, they would have met earlier as there would be no point in going so far. There really could be anything over there haha.

@jbte amazing work icon14.gif

Von_Von
  • Von_Von

Thug

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

jbte found a part of the treasure map, well done!

TheFIREFLY
  • TheFIREFLY

Wanderer

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:50 PM Edited by TheFIREFLY, 06 April 2013 - 02:54 PM.

to be honest, this doesn't seem that much fake at all now

user posted image

and it's been released loong time ago

compared to this

user posted image

the city might be changed a bit now, has that been proven fake? and why?

lxr
  • lxr

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

Hi all! Had to take some time off, but looks like I picked a good time for that wink.gif

Exciting new screens! There's probably more to it, but just to sum the most obvious things up:

A
user posted image

B
user posted image

C
user posted image

A is really great as it's finally the counter shot that confirms GTAKiwi's Map, and the Grand Unified Theory. (Also note that you can make out the telescope array in the distance, behind Mt. X.)

B is very interesting too, as this is definitely not the freeway that runs past the prison, but an elevated highway east of it. My guess would be that this highway originates in East LS, cutting through the mountains east of the city.

And C, good observation, this takes place on the airstrip, as the mountains are in fact identical.

I've added two images to the mountains album:

user posted image

Feedback welcome!

And, P.S.: Fido, GTAKiwi, jbte -- looking forward to your new maps. Very much so!

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

It doesn't appear to have many of the geological factors that have been mapped already. It's fake. Please stop uploading that map. The GTA 4 pallet/hub design makes it obvious that it's fake. suicidal.gif

"Edit"
Welcome back, lxr. smile.gif

TheFIREFLY
  • TheFIREFLY

Wanderer

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (iiConTr0v3rSYx @ Saturday, Apr 6 2013, 15:55)
It doesn't appear to have many of the geological factors that have been mapped already. It's fake. Please stop uploading that map. The GTA 4 pallet/hub design makes it obvious that it's fake. suicidal.gif

"Edit"
Welcome back. lxr. smile.gif

I know i know but that map has some great predictions

J-B
  • J-B

Blood Drenched

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:01 PM Edited by J-B, 06 April 2013 - 03:04 PM.

The position of the airport and docks in that old map is still a dead give away that it's fake. They should be bigger and not line up so flush with the shape of the coast. Also there's no LA River/drainage canal, pleasure pier, or Vespucci canals on that map.

Whoever made it had the general right idea though. Impressive given how little we knew about the map when that popped up.

Also, very nice work LXR.

MT90
  • MT90

Trick

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (TheFIREFLY @ Saturday, Apr 6 2013, 14:50)

user posted image

compared to this

user posted image

I still believe the map posted months ago is real. Like, at least, 75% real.

r0eladn
  • r0eladn

Big Homie

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (TheFIREFLY @ Saturday, Apr 6 2013, 14:50)

compared to this

For one, there is no pier (the pier from the lightning screenshot)

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

Hey lxr ! Good to see you back. I was wondering where you've been. smile.gif

Anyway, great work with the mountains names but I disagree with your location of Vinewood, Griffith and Rockford Hills.
I think it should be like this :

Rockford Hill = Vinewood Hill
N Griffith Hill = Mt Arrowhead
W Vinewood Hill = Mt Bernardino
Vinewood Hill = Mt Corona

lxr
  • lxr

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:19 PM Edited by lxr, 06 April 2013 - 03:25 PM.

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Friday, Apr 5 2013, 21:33)
QUOTE (kesta195 @ Friday, Apr 5 2013, 20:53)
Something interesting to consider is that in the valley we have seen in the north/north west area of the map there are two railway bridges running north through the mountains at the very north of the current area we have seen. That means there must be an area of considerable size north of these mountains that we haven't seen so much as a glimpse of yet. I'm hoping for a snowy, high altitude alpine area, which they would understandable want to keep hidden until closer to release. To anyone that has played Uncharted 2: remember the train level where you entered the extremely long train tunnel in a tropical environment and when you finally emerged you were high in the Himalayas, with snow everywhere? Imagine that with GTAV, minus the tropics and the Himalayas replaced with the San Gabriel range.

You're saying something very interesting here.
Yes, there are two train bridges in that valley with the guy parachuting and Trevor's train crashing).
That means there is quite a large area north of that mountain range otherwise what's the point of having TWO FRAKING RAILWAYS going through ????
This is making me very very confident about the map size. The area north of these mountains should be at least the same size as what we have south
of the Alamo Sea. And we haven't see anything about the eastern part of the map.
This is big people ! seriously big !
Thanks for pointing that out kesta, it makes a lot of sense. wink.gif

Btw, I only see one train bridge. Both the one by the Alamo Sea (the one that is also in the new screen) and the big one at the other end (that I assume is coastal) don't look like train bridges to me.

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Saturday, Apr 6 2013, 15:19)
Hey lxr ! Good to see you back. I was wondering where you've been. smile.gif

Traveling, mostly.

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Saturday, Apr 6 2013, 15:19)
Anyway, great work with the mountains names but I disagree with your location of Vinewood, Griffith and Rockford Hills.
I think it should be like this :

Rockford Hill = Vinewood Hill
N Griffith Hill = Mt Arrowhead
W Vinewood Hill = Mt Bernardino
Vinewood Hill = Mt Corona

Actually, I'd much prefer that version, i.e. gap for highway to prison between what I marked up as N Griffith Hill and Rockford Hill, mostly because that would give us an idea of where the dam would be. But take a look at this one -- I think all of these hills are west of that gap or pass.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

So does anyone have any idea where this area is? I would make a guess and say Grapeseed?

user posted image

Mnxanr
  • Mnxanr

Michael

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (iNero @ Friday, Apr 5 2013, 21:20)
Considering the latest map in OP, the map looks smaller than San Andreas. Even though it says that its not the complete map

Just looks that way because the map lacks detail. For example, some of the mountains actually have roads in them, and there are towns spread across the desert/countryside area. GTA V's map is definitely larger than San Andreas'!

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

Huh ? I must have been tired the other day. After verification, there is only one train bridge, you're right.
Still, the theory holds as the train tracks must be going somewhere rather big^^

About the hills, on this pic you can see the gap where the freeway goes, between
Griffith and Rockford Hills.
And you also see that same gap on this screen between Windy Hill and Vinewood.

I think there is a stream or river going between Windy Hill and Mt Windy on this screen that eventually
ends up at the dam, at Mt Arrowhead.

VATG
  • VATG

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

does anyone recognize this building? looks like a castle to me...

user posted image

64 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 63 guests, 0 anonymous users