Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,288 replies to this topic
Bonfy
  • Bonfy

Friendly Neighborhood Super-Mario

• Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 12:47)
So far, only gtamodeller has made a serious attempt at estimating the size of the Los Santos city area, based on his model. Given the above numbers, the map would look roughly like the one below (10m/px). I don't think it's totally impossible, but definitely somewhat unlikely.

user posted image

Hi, I'm following the great job you guys are doing. First of all grats for the effort you all are putting in it. Now to the question smile.gif

Why you're saying that it's unlikely that the map will have that size? Just curious. It looks just fine to me.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

How about we not jump to mathematics and formulas until we know exactly what the map looks like and can make an accurate comparison. You're comparing maps to something we haven't even seen.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:18 PM Edited by lxr, 20 January 2013 - 01:00 PM.

QUOTE (Bonfy @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 12:02)
Why you're saying that it's unlikely that the map will have that size? Just curious. It looks just fine to me.

Yeah, who knows, could be that the longer you look at it, the better it looks.

It's more about the city/country ratio than the map size itself. I think the overall expectation in this thread was that relative to the city, there should be more countryside (both discovered and undiscovered) than on that map.

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 12:17)
How about we not jump to mathematics and formulas until we know exactly what the map looks like and can make an accurate comparison. You're comparing maps to something we haven't even seen.

But aren't we doing that all the time? Noone has ever really seen the territory on GTAKiwi's map, still we think that's how it looks. Noone has ever really seen Grauman's Chinese Theatre, still we know it's there. (The Ancient Greeks knew the Earth was a sphere more than 2000 years before anyone had seen it, etc.) All this is based on the estimation of angles and distances and perspectives. So I guess if R* throw us a bone ("V = 5 x RDR", which is precisely "comparing maps to something we haven't even seen"), we can't just ignore that.

And I think one could just as well say: "How about we not jump to drawing lines and boxes and mountain shapes until we know exactly what the correct scale of the map is and how the optics of the screenshots work and can prove all that mathematically or with an accurate 3D model." wink.gif

initium
  • initium

Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Can't you make a seperate topic for the size of the map calculations?

It doesn't matter how big the map is!
It's about quality, and I prefer a small detailed map over a big dessert without any details.

It's about the experience you have while playing the game, so in no way these calculations will satisfy you, in fact they can only bring you dissapointment if the map turns out to be smaller than what you expected.

But this is just my opinion, so continue if you feel like it

Bonfy
  • Bonfy

• Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 13:18)
QUOTE (Bonfy @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 12:02)

Yeah, who knows, could be that the longer you look at it, the better it looks.

It's more about the city/country ratio than the map size itself. I think the overall expectation in this thread was that relative to the city, there should be more countryside (both discovered and undiscovered) than on that map.

Ah ok got it, thanks wink.gif

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (initium @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 12:25)
Can't you make a seperate topic for the size of the map calculations?

It doesn't matter how big the map is!
It's about quality, and I prefer a small detailed map over a big dessert without any details.

It's about the experience you have while playing the game, so in no way these calculations will satisfy you, in fact they can only bring you dissapointment if the map turns out to be smaller than what you expected.

But this is just my opinion, so continue if you feel like it

I think there should be a separate topic for the disappointment wink.gif

(Personally, I wouldn't be disappointed if the map turned out to be small, but if a lot of what has been claimed in this thread -- be it maps or buildings or anything else -- turned out to be plain wrong. And with regards to the map size and the level of detail, you're right, and many people have shown how a map that from above seems tiny can seem gigantic one you descend to street level.)

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

These calculations are awesome but I believe they're going too far.
Personnally, I believe that with all the screenshots and videos we have and will have in the
future, the scale of the map will come naturally.
Of course it won't be 100% accurate but I think it'll be enough for the purpose of this thread.
For instance, if we discover on a new screenshot that there's a building or a road that we didn't
saw before, I'll just update the map to include it and in the end, after doing this dozens of time,
we'll get a pretty good idea of the map.
That's how I've been working on my map. Of course, it means I have to erase and redraw a lot of
stuff, sometimes several times.
But I don't mind and I believe my map is pretty accurate so far. Of course it isn't perfectly in scale
from one point to the other but it gives a good glimpse of what to expect I think.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

proud "conspiracy theorist"

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:19 PM Edited by Stephan123, 20 January 2013 - 02:27 PM.

forget it

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

The prison is included on my map. It's right where it should be.

user posted image

I believe this prison may be based on the California State Prison, in Lancaster just 70km North of Los Angeles.
It could also be the Calipatria State Prison, located just east of the Salton Sea (300km South east of LA).
Avenal State Prison could also be it (300km North West of LA).
The Penitentiary in Victorville looks a lot like it as well (100km North East of LA).

All these prisons shares the same buildings that look like a rectangular Pacman.
The closest is the one in Lancaster and IMO, the best match.

Jamie Smith
  • Jamie Smith

"The King Has Risen!" - MJ

• Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 14:07)
Personnally, I believe that with all the screenshots and videos we have and will have in the
Of course it won't be 100% accurate but I think it'll be enough for the purpose of this thread.
For instance, if we discover on a new screenshot that there's a building or a road that we didn't
saw before, I'll just update the map to include it and in the end, after doing this dozens of time,
That's how I've been working on my map. Of course, it means I have to erase and redraw a lot of
But I don't mind and I believe my map is pretty accurate so far. Of course it isn't perfectly in scale
from one point to the other but it gives a good glimpse of what to expect I think.

Yo Fido, can you point out on your map where this photo is?
user posted image

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Sry I didn't pay enough attention when looking at the map. I thought it had to be much bigger. But it's right as it is now.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

I think the artwork with Franklin and Chop is somewhere in South/East LS.

Bonfy
  • Bonfy

• Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (Jamie Smith @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 15:34)
QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 14:07)

user posted image

Being that an artwork it may not be representing any place really existing in the game.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (iiConTr0v3rSYx @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 14:39)
I think the artwork with Franklin and Chop is somewhere in South/East LS.

this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (Jamie Smith @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 15:34)
user posted image

I'm afraid I can't.
I suspect it's somewhere in East Los Santos, as the background looks like a ghetto area.
Also, artworks aren't 100% accurate with the actual game maps.
Personally, I would put this South-East of Downtown, between echo Park and the industrial area.

Jamie Smith
  • Jamie Smith

"The King Has Risen!" - MJ

• Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:46 PM Edited by Jamie Smith, 20 January 2013 - 02:48 PM.

K Thanks

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:57 PM Edited by lxr, 20 January 2013 - 03:24 PM.

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 14:34)
I believe this prison may be based on the California State Prison, in Lancaster just 70km North of Los Angeles.
It could also be the Calipatria State Prison, located just east of the Salton Sea (300km South east of LA).
Avenal State Prison could also be it (300km North West of LA).
The Penitentiary in Victorville looks a lot like it as well (100km North East of LA).

All these prisons shares the same buildings that look like a rectangular Pacman.
The closest is the one in Lancaster and IMO, the best match.

Yeah, I think that's the issue. US Supermax Prisons all look the same.

And that's the challenge when extending Fido's map to the countryside. Sometimes we know the location, but the building is just a good guess (like the prison), sometimes we know the building, but the location is just a good guess (like the liquor store/gas station).

QUOTE (Jamie Smith @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 14:34)

We know that it's here (same liquor sign), but we still can't place it on the map. We also know that R* have, in their artwork, moved the skyline around, at least once, so we can't go by that.

Edited to add images. The white building in the top left corner looks interesting, but I don't think we've seen it yet.

user posted image

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Yeah, that white building stands out.
The window made me think of the Shrine Auditorium (the Alhambra Club in GTA SA) but it's unlikely considering the rest of the environment (ghetto area).

Pieface
  • Pieface

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:14 PM Edited by Pieface, 20 January 2013 - 06:23 PM.

[lol

[QUOTE=Jamie Smith,Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 14:34]Yo Fido, can you point out on your map where this photo is?[/QUOTE]
We know that it's here (same liquor sign), but we still can't place it on the map. We also know that R* have, in their artwork, moved the skyline around, at least once, so we can't go by that.

Edited to add images. The white building in the top left corner looks interesting, but I don't think we've seen it yet.

user posted image [/QUOTE]
I am prettysure that is ten green bottles from San Andreas, its 500 meters away from cj's hood in GTA sa. Ofcourse it's a bit different due to GTA 5 taking place after 10 years from sa. It's in ganton I believe. It's in the ghetto area as well.

RusUpdate
  • RusUpdate

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Now I can say with confidence that there is a BUG with skyscraper over clouds . It's Downtown.

user posted image

user posted image

llllI1llllI1
  • llllI1llllI1

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

@Rusupdate

wat

user posted image

RusUpdate
  • RusUpdate

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (sibs44 @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 18:18)
@Rusupdate

wat

user posted image

But it's not in LA. sigh.gif

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (RusUpdate @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 18:15)
user posted image

It bugs me that there is a shoreline that large East of LS. Looks like we have ocean surrounding the city on the West, South and East, whereas IRL LA only has a West and South coast. Looks like we might be getting an island map after all. Seems weird though, that will all this promised map space, the rest of the map only seems to exist North of LS.

EDIT: And I don't think that body of water is the Salton/Alamo Sea, as that is located North of LS.

RusUpdate
  • RusUpdate

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:00 PM Edited by RusUpdate, 20 January 2013 - 07:05 PM.

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 18:37)
QUOTE (RusUpdate @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 18:15)
user posted image

It bugs me that there is a shoreline that large East of LS. Looks like we have ocean surrounding the city on the West, South and East, whereas IRL LA only has a West and South coast. Looks like we might be getting an island map after all. Seems weird though, that will all this promised map space, the rest of the map only seems to exist North of LS.

EDIT: And I don't think that body of water is the Salton/Alamo Sea, as that is located North of LS.

Well, then look at the original frame, and tell me what you think, what is east of the line, if not water? It looks like monochromatic water.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:05 PM Edited by lxr, 20 January 2013 - 07:09 PM.

Who says there's a shoreline there? Just adding a shadow and writing "shoreline" isn't enough.

If you look at the original image, you can clearly see several structures that are beyond that "shoreline". You'll also see that featureless mountain flanks look very similar to that "body of water". Plus we've seen mountains east of the city, and know there's a reservoir in the northeast. (And a high-up, west-facing reservoir, just west of another coast? I'd be surprised...)

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (RusUpdate @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 19:00)
Well, then look at the original picture, and tell me what you think, what is easter of the line, if not water? It looks like monochromatic water.

I agree that it is water, I just think it is the ocean rather than the Alamo sea. Then again, the Alamo sea could curve around to the east of LS so it is North and East of the city, instead of just North. This would explain where the dam reservoir comes from. I don't think there is any evidence against this theory so far tbh.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:13 PM Edited by lxr, 20 January 2013 - 07:21 PM.

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 19:06)
I agree that it is water, I just think it is the ocean rather than the Alamo sea. Then again, the Alamo sea could curve around to the east of LS so it is North and East of the city, instead of just North. This would explain where the dam reservoir comes from. I don't think there is any evidence against this theory so far tbh.

What about... water not flowing up? wink.gif

I mean... we can't rule out that there's some sort of bay there, but... just going by that image, most of the city looks like ocean.

RusUpdate
  • RusUpdate

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 19:05)

Who says there's a shoreline there? Just adding a shadow and writing "shoreline" isn't enough.

If you look at the original image, you can clearly see several structures that are beyond that "shoreline". You'll also see that featureless mountain flanks look very similar to that "body of water". Plus we've seen mountains east of the city, and know there's a reservoir in the northeast. (And a high-up, west-facing reservoir, just west of another coast? I'd be surprised...)

Well, in the north-east perhaps we see the Salton Sea (upper left part of the panorama-frame). But Liberty City is surrounded by water on all sides. sigh.gif

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (RusUpdate @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 19:24)
Well, in the north-east perhaps we see the Salton Sea (upper left part of the panorama-frame). But Liberty City is surrounded by water on all sides. sigh.gif

The shot is looking south, and the Salton Sea is a bit further north.

But maybe someone can mark that shoreline (preferably not with a line, or a fat shadow), and then we can see if other images fit with that, or if it can be disproved.

RusUpdate
  • RusUpdate

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:40 PM Edited by RusUpdate, 20 January 2013 - 07:48 PM.

Now look VERY carefully at these frames. I think San Jacinto peak is righter from that shoreline, right on the top from car. There is water, I absolutely sure.
Here is better processed frames.

user posted image

user posted image

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users