Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,519 replies to this topic
Gifbrah
  • Gifbrah

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

Okay, this is purely speculation but I could use a second opinion.

user posted image

The building circled red looks a little bit like a Chinese-type building. It may also very well be a regular building under construction, but it does have a slight distinct look to it.

The green is even more confusing. The things that crossed my mind were the Beverly Center, Staples Center and Dodger Stadium. It may be connect to the building/thing on the left... It may not.

Geographically, Both Dodger Stadium and Chinatown would be in those respective general areas.

Thoughts?

TMR2007
  • TMR2007

Wacky Wavy Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man - and Child.

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:19 AM

Man, I love these kinda threads - really makes the world seem more realistic. Much appreciated for everyone id'ing the buildings.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Godawful-Disturbed-Earl Root

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (Millionsofdeadcops @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 23:56)
QUOTE (BGModder @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 23:54)
Nice work, guys. Are there any apparent similarities between this map and the map from L.A. Noire?

the map from LA Noire is a nearly 100% exact, street by street recreation of a small portion of Los Angeles. I'm guessing this wont be the case in GTA V because V doesn't actually take place in Los Angeles, it takes place in Los Santos. looking at the trailer it's obvious that Los Santos is not a street by street recreation of LA like LA Noire was.

Agree that L.A. and New York, just over done for games and in the media as well. When Kim Kardashion was putting down Minnesota, I flew into a rage, glad it got props in GTA IV from Rockstar at least. I've lived in MN all my life, nothing wrong with it at all, but she sure is a spoiled brat

As far as LA and the real Los Santos comparisons, not as big a shock anymore, we know it's not just the same in name alone

JoshGTAfreak
  • JoshGTAfreak

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 10:24)
QUOTE (Millionsofdeadcops @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 23:56)
QUOTE (BGModder @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 23:54)
Nice work, guys. Are there any apparent similarities between this map and the map from L.A. Noire?

the map from LA Noire is a nearly 100% exact, street by street recreation of a small portion of Los Angeles. I'm guessing this wont be the case in GTA V because V doesn't actually take place in Los Angeles, it takes place in Los Santos. looking at the trailer it's obvious that Los Santos is not a street by street recreation of LA like LA Noire was.

Agree that L.A. and New York, just over done for games and in the media as well. When Kim Kardashion was putting down Minnesota, I flew into a rage, glad it got props in GTA IV from Rockstar at least. I've lived in MN all my life, nothing wrong with it at all, but she sure is a spoiled brat

As far as LA and the real Los Santos comparisons, not as big a shock anymore, we know it's not just the same in name alone

I'm sorry but that whole post was quite irrelevant and had nothing to do with the post you replied to...

BoringAdultWithAFatGirlfriend
  • BoringAdultWithAFatGirlfriend

WE'RE EATING LIKE KINGS TONIGHT BABY!

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

everything in this thread looks on point. However, I believe there are a few "Standard" hotels, one of which is part of the LA skyline just south of the US bank tower. The rooftop bar is featured in movies a lot.

BULLSEYEMK1
  • BULLSEYEMK1

Veteran

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

Does everybody remember this motel from GTA:SA, Cant remember what its called.
user posted image

SonofUgly
  • SonofUgly

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (BULLSEYEMK1 @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 04:30)
Does everybody remember this motel from GTA:SA, Cant remember what its called.
user posted image

Yeah, its the Jefferson Motel:
user posted image

sabbathfan
  • sabbathfan

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

I'm not convinced that's a motel. There is a communal pool (although it's empty in the trailer). It seems more like low-rent apartments to me.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:36 AM

Hello again guys.
I did this wednesday but I decided to redo it to be on par with what's going on here.
Check it out:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Feel free to reuse these pics if you find another landmark/building wink.gif

Bret_HartvsSting
  • Bret_HartvsSting

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:44 AM

Freakin awesome work everyone, this is the best thread since the trailer.

jogy
  • jogy

GTAF Alumni

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

Awsome work guys! But that looks just like Jefferson Motel?

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:34 PM

Here's a quick map I did based on the trailer and on the geography of Los Angeles.
Keep in mind that this is a very long shot and is probably 90% wrong.
Feel free to add things I may have missed wink.gif

user posted image

xAtreyux
  • xAtreyux

JB

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

That is very very interesting. I think pretty much that most of the building comparisons are right.

Coral_City
  • Coral_City

The Don

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 10:34)
Here's a quick map I did based on the trailer and on the geography of Los Angeles.
Keep in mind that this is a very long shot and is probably 90% wrong.
Feel free to add things I may have missed wink.gif

user posted image

I APPROVE OF THIS MAP

Nice work again Fido!

Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

Awesome thread. I also think that map's probably spot on. Hopefully there's water on the other side of those mountain ranges, but still...

ArienMC
  • ArienMC

Trick

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (Snake Without a Tongue @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 15:12)
Awesome thread. I also think that map's probably spot on. Hopefully there's water on the other side of those mountain ranges, but still...

I doubt it. I bet half of the map will be forever ocean, and the rest unclimbable mountains. I'm sure you can climb them, just not all the way to the top.

sabbathfan
  • sabbathfan

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (ArienMC @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 15:27)

I doubt it. I bet half of the map will be forever ocean, and the rest unclimbable mountains. I'm sure you can climb them, just not all the way to the top.

How would that work? If you fly out in a wide arc around the map, you'd bypass the mountains. It can't be mountains on one side.

StoneyWhistle
  • StoneyWhistle

Proud Redneck

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

I doubt those mountains will be unclimbable, and I'm sure it'll be just like in all the other GTAs, like an island. Anyway, only problem I see with the map is it's messing the ghetto, but we've seen nothing about that part yet. Cheers.

SonofUgly
  • SonofUgly

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

I looks like there's a somewhat distinguishable building far behind the for sale house. It's to the left.
user posted image
Might not be enough, but you guys are pretty good.

ArienMC
  • ArienMC

Trick

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (sabbathfan @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 15:33)

How would that work? If you fly out in a wide arc around the map, you'd bypass the mountains. It can't be mountains on one side.

Maybe the mountains will be higher then the flight limit. There for if you try and fly over the mountains, you will fly straight into them.

sabbathfan
  • sabbathfan

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (ArienMC @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 15:36)

Maybe the mountains will be higher then the flight limit. There for if you try and fly over the mountains, you will fly straight into them.

Yeah I know that, but you could totally bypass them by flying out to sea and around the island.

SonofUgly
  • SonofUgly

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (ArienMC @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 08:36)

Well if there is a sea to any side couldn't you just keep flying along the coastline?

ArienMC
  • ArienMC

Trick

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (sabbathfan @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 15:38)

Yeah I know that, but you could totally bypass them by flying out to sea and around the island.

Well maybe they will make the mountains really long as well. I have no idea.

sabbathfan
  • sabbathfan

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (ArienMC @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 15:40)
QUOTE (sabbathfan @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 15:38)

Well maybe they will make the mountains really long as well. I have no idea.

Yeah that makes more sense. Infinite mountains.

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:02 PM

What about Beverly Hills?

Millionsofdeadcops
  • Millionsofdeadcops

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (Raptomex @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 16:02)

It will be in there. Rodeo Drive is a street in Beverly Hills and we've already seen Rodeo Drive.

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (Millionsofdeadcops @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 12:07)
QUOTE (Raptomex @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 16:02)

It will be in there. Rodeo Drive is a street in Beverly Hills and we've already seen Rodeo Drive.

Yeah, I thought so. Well that's exciting. Going to love to shoot up that rich-ass town.

Millionsofdeadcops
  • Millionsofdeadcops

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (Gifbrah @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 03:03)
user posted image

Nice, that layout makes a lot of sense.

Chirpy Red
  • Chirpy Red

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

This thread is excellent for getting a scope of where the buildings area and what parts will be covered of LA. Of course it's R*'s own version but it nice to see the what type of places will exist in the game.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys.
I didn't include the ghetto because we have no idea of where it's going to be. Although I'd bet my hands it's located in East Los Santos.
Same thing about the Golf Club and the For Sale House. I couldn't figure out where they should be.

37 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 35 guests, 0 anonymous users