Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,496 replies to this topic
FaintShadow
  • FaintShadow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

user posted image

Back to the Observatory, IRL Griffith Park is on the same hill as the Hollywood Sigh, but as was seen in the helicopter screenshot with the vinewood sigh the hill does not appear to have the park. Even the terrain doesn't match, as the screenshot of the Observatory the grass is green with plenty trees while the helicopter screen shows a less grass more desert, no trees kinda thing. they might of moved the observatory closer downtown (or to a completely different spot like in SA but that's highly doubtful.) or it could be in the place where it is in real life (Scaled, that is) which seems logical. do any of you agree. . . .?

Getzmunney
  • Getzmunney

On september 17..the streets will be on hush mode

• Members

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 14:03)
@lxr : Yeah, Franklin's apartment is between Chateau Marmont and the Hollywood Blvd Stores in that heli screenshot.
Probably in the hills, a little more North than those two buildings.

EDIT : I think I got something.
Could it say 'Von Crastenburg' ?
This name appeared before in GTA IV, see here :
Von Crastenburg Family on GTA Wiki

Actually franklins apartment is a penthouse in the chateau marmont... its just on the same floor as the point top..

Dystopia
  • Dystopia

?

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

I personally can't wait to see what they've done with this. I wonder why they aren't showing us yet...

user posted image

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:55 PM Edited by Kifflom112, 24 November 2012 - 05:02 PM.

QUOTE (SCLASS @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 04:57)
LXR - true when so many LA locales are missing it takes away the feeling of being in a city rather than a theme parked parody of one.

It wouldn't take much to include a real sized airport..instead we get 700m long runways ...f*cking ridiculous - thats 10 times the wingspan of a jumbo.

Suburbs of 80-200 blocks would not take a THING away from the game. It would only add to it. Jesus...small minded, easily pleased ppl here.

Do us a favor, shut the hell up.
I'm sorry but nobody wants to hear it, nobody cares about what you want, it's not going to happen and nobody wants it to happen, period.

OT: @Lxr, I see you're finding some pretty interesting stuff I never even spotted in the trailer. icon14.gif
EDIT: Wait a minute. Is the place where Franklin is at the same hillside house from trailer 1?

sibs44
  • sibs44

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

Not sure if this has been found.. but the Vinewood sign is right here as seen in the lower half of the pic. That leaves a good chunk of LS we haven't seen.

user posted image

J-B
  • J-B

Blood Drenched

• Members

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (sibs44 @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 11:06)
Not sure if this has been found.. but the Vinewood sign is right here as seen in the lower half of the pic. That leaves a good chunk of LS we haven't seen.

user posted image

In the bottom left you can see the lights keep going out of the frame. I wonder how far they actually go ?

AceHigh11
  • AceHigh11

Homie

• Members

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 16:55)
Do us a favor, shut the hell up.
I'm sorry but nobody wants to hear it, nobody cares about what you want, it's not going to happen and nobody wants it to happen, period.

I liked some of his ideas. Just pointing out.

SCLASS
  • SCLASS

Homie

• Members

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

Kifflom...your obviously quite young. An adult wouldnt tell someone to shut up because they would like larger suburbs. Do my demands really affect you in any way ?...what nerve have I touched. Christ.....

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:40 PM Edited by Kifflom112, 24 November 2012 - 07:04 PM.

QUOTE (SCLASS @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 12:37)
Kifflom...your obviously quite young. An adult wouldnt tell someone to shut up because they would like larger suburbs. Do my demands really affect you in any way ?...what nerve have I touched. Christ.....

confused.gif How does that determine age? Whatever...
I too like large suburbs, but I'm just saying, there is nothing wrong with the city, it's fine with me. And I'm just tired of hearing you bashing it for silly reasons. It seems you're rather immature calling us small minded easily pleased people simply because most of us like the cities R* does it. And I'm not simply telling you to shut up, "because you would like larger suburbs" I'm just saying quit bashing the cities. It's a damn video game for Christ sakes. And I'm still seeing that you don't understand why somethings you're wanting would be a problem.
Okay? rolleyes.gif

Hardly
  • Hardly

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:54 PM Edited by Hardly, 24 November 2012 - 09:06 PM.

QUOTE (SCLASS @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 09:00)
An assets bank of say 20 different houses, 10 different warehouses and maybe 20 different types of commercial buildings would be sufficient to avoid uncanny valley issues. Yes, if you look closely you will repeated buildings occasionaly, but that's a small price to pay for an expansive world.

Firstly, please don't act condescending. It doesn't make you look mature in the least. Nobody made you the judge of what adults do or do not do. You came to this thread to whine, don't insult people when they tell you to shut the hell up.

Secondly, ew.

Don't forget that you also need to make your buildings extra generic or else the repetition will be really jarring. Forget the dust-covered bars and gun stores of Blaine County, because they have to look the same there as they do all the way across the map. Think about all the buildings we've identified so far from the trailers. They'd all have to go too. No Roosevelt Hotel, no Bradbury, no Vinewood Dome or Greek Theatre.

Building on hills would add challenges as well since you'd need a foundation for the slope. There are a lot of hills in parts of Los Angeles, though you wouldn't know that from playing True Crime LA. The only solution I can think of is to put everything on concrete slabs, Sim City style, though that would make everything look ugly and plopped-down (which it would be), instead of looking like a real city. Think Fallout 3.

Also I don't think I have to mention that Los Angeles is not the same 50 buildings over and over. Even if neighborhoods like Compton may seem repetitive and sprawled out, houses in Compton are not the same as houses in Beverley Hills. You'd have to consider that certain models of houses and buildings can only be designated to certain neighborhoods. There are no skyscrapers, mansions, trailer homes or log cabins in Compton so for that area you'd have to reduce that asset pool of 50 buildings down to about 5. Then for 50 blocks there's no way you can't use the same building on nearly every block.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but R* has reused certain assets in every one of their games since. They do it in a way that makes sense and is hard for most people to notice. But what you're describing sounds like a nightmare. It sounds like you're upset that there are any unique buildings anywhere in the game besides downtown. No matter what R* produces, you'll still be in here demanding more generic repetitive buildings. You're complaining about something you have no reason to expect from the series. However, that's not what anybody wants. I get it, you want a city driving simulator. Not Grand Theft Auto.

QUOTE (SCLASS @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 09:56)
The number of city blocks per city from LC in 3 to VC to LS in SA to LS in V has been rising steadily...this will be the case for VI and VII.

Yes, the cities have been getting bigger, but they are all still comparable. You cannot look at aerial screenshots of Vice City and Liberty City and immediately tell me which one is largest. In fact, back before Vice City was released there were people complaining that the city was going to be smaller than III. Los Santos from San Andreas wasn't even twice the size of Liberty City from III, but it seems you expect an increase of even more than double now. Why?

Eagle-Eye
  • Eagle-Eye

☸ Sniper ☸

• Members

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

1:35 in Trailer 2

You can see an Oil Pump moving upwards and down.
Probably the same Brute Oil Pump from Trailer 1.

user posted image

Hardly
  • Hardly

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:09 PM Edited by Hardly, 24 November 2012 - 09:35 PM.

QUOTE (Eagle-Eye @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 21:04)
1:35 in Trailer 2

You can see an Oil Pump moving upwards and down.
Probably the same Brute Oil Pump from Trailer 1.

user posted image

There's another one to the right so it's not necessarily confirmed, but it's probably in the same area.

Man, for someone named Eagle-Eye you've got to step up your game. We have people who identified a hotel based on a sign seen from half a block away through a window and behind a plant stitched together from two scenes, and then traced that back to a family of characters in IV.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

^^Wat? It as actually a fairly good find. I didn't even notice that. Judging that I've only seen the trailer 12 times.

Hardly
  • Hardly

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 21:16)
^^Wat? It as actually a fairly good find. I didn't even notice that. Judging that I've only seen the trailer 12 times.

I know. It's a good find on its own but it's already been spotted before. I'm not trying to be insulting I'm mainly trying to provide constructive criticism. It seems the only things that are left to find are the things that are nearly impossible to notice. The game has changed and unless it's something absurdly well hidden, you can assume someone's found it before.

SCLASS
  • SCLASS

Homie

• Members

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

Hardly - he told me to shut up and was taking observations of mine ( yeah and whining ) personally. No need really.

In essence..larger suburbs...i should of just said that. Whatever way you wanna cut it...suburbs are essential to a city. TCSOLA did it ...luxoflux had some unique sat mapping technology (licensed to them). Mate, what I am suggesting makes perfect sense.

J-B
  • J-B

Blood Drenched

• Members

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (SCLASS @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 16:26)
Hardly - he told me to shut up and was taking observations of mine ( yeah and whining ) personally. No need really.

In essence..larger suburbs...i should of just said that. Whatever way you wanna cut it...suburbs are essential to a city. TCSOLA did it ...luxoflux had some unique sat mapping technology (licensed to them). Mate, what I am suggesting makes perfect sense.

Shouldn't you be bringing your opinions up in one of the several map size threads and not derailing this one ?

SCLASS
  • SCLASS

Homie

• Members

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

naaaaaaaaah !!!!!!

Hardly
  • Hardly

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:06 PM Edited by Hardly, 24 November 2012 - 11:11 PM.

QUOTE (SCLASS @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 22:26)

In essence..larger suburbs...i should of just said that. Whatever way you wanna cut it...suburbs are essential to a city. TCSOLA did it ...luxoflux had some unique sat mapping technology (licensed to them).  Mate, what I am suggesting makes perfect sense.

You aren't asking for more suburbs though. You're saying that the game should be 30 square miles and R* should do this because you say so even if it means they have to take out major landmarks and repeat the same buildings several times over.

I want larger suburbs too, but what you're asking for doesn't even make sense given the rate of growth for every single GTA city throughout the life of the series, and there's no reason to be demanding it. Yes, there will be a few games like True Crime that offer expansive and lifeless cities, but GTA is not one of those games, nor will it ever be. What you are describing isn't the future of open world gaming, it's the past. True Crime LA came out nine years ago and even then it was criticized as being dated. There's a reason why barely any successful games since then have taken the approach that it did and why Luxoflux is now defunct.

jbte
  • jbte

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

user posted image

Eagle-Eye
  • Eagle-Eye

☸ Sniper ☸

• Members

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (Hardly @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 21:09)

Man, for someone named Eagle-Eye you've got to step up your game. We have people who identified a hotel based on a sign seen from half a block away through a window and behind a plant stitched together from two scenes, and then traced that back to a family of characters in IV.

I don't mean to offend your "constructive criticism" but honestly, it doesn't help. I don't spend time detailing every spec or pixel of detail shown in the screens or pictures.

The only reason i named this account Eagle-Eye is because my PSN Is Eagle-Eye which i made years ago.
Also, just because i don't hint out something through the computer doesn't mean i cant hint out something in reality, my good friend. :]

I'm not obligated to have an objective if I chose a name.

Hardly
  • Hardly

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:21 PM Edited by Hardly, 24 November 2012 - 11:45 PM.

QUOTE (Eagle-Eye @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 23:16)
QUOTE (Hardly @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 21:09)

I don't mean to offend your "constructive criticism" but honestly, it doesn't help. I don't spend time detailing every spec or pixel of detail shown in the screens or pictures.

The only reason i named this account Eagle-Eye is because my PSN Is Eagle-Eye which i made years ago.
Also, just because i don't hint out something through the computer doesn't mean i cant hint out something in reality, my good friend. :]

I'm not obligated to have an objective if I chose a name.

Well I'm sorry then. I was making a joke about your name and I didn't mean to put any pressure on you. You're fine and it's not a problem at all but a surprising amount of things get mentioned more than once.

I hate leaving threads right after posting a big ranty wall of text so I usually find myself writing something small and pointless afterwards. The problem is that it's not always something well thought out.

QUOTE (jbte @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 23:06)
http://s7.postimage....d26z/longbn.jpg

This is interesting. icon14.gif
Does anyone know how to enhance the screenshot to make the buildings more clearly visible?

I'm beginning to think you're right. But could this mean it's actually a third runway? The runway shown in the jumping out of the plane scene shows radar dishes and a prison-like building that are also clearly also shown in the Vinewood helicopter scene. San Andreas had four airports, so a world the size of five RDRs seems likely that it would have at least three.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (jbte @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 17:06)
user posted image

icon14.gif I'm convinced, hope you're right. Can't do a real Southern Los Angeles without Long Beach.
Now if this is true, all we need now is a few mediterranean style suburbs around it and definitely Orange County. One can hope.

J-B
  • J-B

Blood Drenched

• Members

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (Hardly @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 17:21)
This is interesting.  icon14.gif 
Does anyone know how to enhance the screenshot to make the buildings more clearly visible?

I'm beginning to think you're right. But could this mean it's actually a third runway? The runway shown in the jumping out of the plane scene shows radar dishes and a prison-like building that are also clearly also shown in the Vinewood helicopter scene. San Andreas had four airports, so a world the size of five RDRs seems likely that it would have at least three.

I've tried before to bring those structures out more but this is the best I can do. Maybe someone else can do better ?

user posted image

I'm not convinced that they are skyscrapers but they don't appear to be anything that we've seen inside the LS city limits either.

I originally thought the structures were part of the refinery area that we've seen in south LS but I haven't found any similarities between the two so I doubt it's that.

jbte
  • jbte

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

My map updated, corrected some areas as suggested, but there still might be some errors...

user posted image
Click on image for better resolution and size...

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE (J-B @ Sunday, Nov 25 2012, 00:07)

I've tried before to bring those structures out more but this is the best I can do. Maybe someone else can do better ?

user posted image

I'm not convinced that they are skyscrapers but they don't appear to be anything that we've seen inside the LS city limits either.

I originally thought the structures were part of the refinery area that we've seen in south LS but I haven't found any similarities between the two so I doubt it's that.

If it is indeed the Long Beach skyline, then it seems Rockstar took the liberty of putting desert south of Los Santos, which is weird, since in real-life SoCal south of LA are rugged hills, unless the cactus is there for decoration.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (Death2Drugs @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 18:47)
QUOTE (J-B @ Sunday, Nov 25 2012, 00:07)

user posted image

If it is indeed the Long Beach skyline, then it seems Rockstar took the liberty of putting desert south of Los Santos, which is weird, since in real-life SoCal south of LA are rugged hills, unless the cactus is there for decoration.

In GTA 4 they scattered real life landmarks all over the place.
What makes you think they'll do the SoCal countryside accurately, lol tounge.gif

sibs44
  • sibs44

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 17:27)
definitely Orange County. One can hope.

Seriously. You can't have LA without the OC.

Hardly
  • Hardly

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:06 AM Edited by Hardly, 25 November 2012 - 01:12 AM.

QUOTE (Death2Drugs @ Sunday, Nov 25 2012, 00:47)

It could be in a kind of southeast direction maybe, with hills off to the west.

Oh but the sign in the background of the scene where Trevor is getting shot at by bikers also was a confirmed match for another sign shown in the dune buggy scene, which was confirmed to be to the right of the highway scene with the trucks. So I guess you may be right tounge.gif

So what is it then, if not a city? The structures on the right look like they don't have windows, and the shading makes me believe they're cylindrical, so they might be silos of some sort?

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE (Hardly @ Sunday, Nov 25 2012, 01:06)
QUOTE (Death2Drugs @ Sunday, Nov 25 2012, 00:47)

It could be in a kind of southeast direction maybe, with hills off to the west.

Oh but the sign in the background of the scene where Trevor is getting shot at by bikers also was a confirmed match for another sign shown in the dune buggy scene, which was confirmed to be to the right of the highway scene with the trucks. So I guess you may be right tounge.gif

So what is it then, if not a city? The structures on the right look like they don't have windows, and the shading makes me believe they're cylindrical, so they might be silos of some sort?

The lack of detail could be due to LOD.

SimMaster
  • SimMaster

San Andreas Explorer

• Members

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:33 AM

QUOTE (jbte @ Saturday, Nov 24 2012, 19:24)
My map updated, corrected some areas as suggested, but there still might be some errors...

user posted image
Click on image for better resolution and size...

I think 67 and 48 are both looking at the same set of mountains in the background. Take a look.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users