Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,922 replies to this topic
lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:43 AM

QUOTE (jbte @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 03:32)
I did everything according to the image analysis, 3D modeling references and digital mapping of the terrain. And of course some help from this thread smile.gif
Hope you like, any corrections let me know!

Oh wow. While some of it contradicts everything we've seen so far (like the Vinewood Reservoir), this is definitely very interesting!

While I'm off to check your 89 (!) screens wink.gif ... can you tell us more about *how* you made it?

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:41 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 02:27)
QUOTE (Death2Drugs @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 02:04)
Notice the observatory? That would mean that the San Fernando/San Gabriel area is northeast of Downtown, meaning the location roughly mirrors San Gabriel Valley.

The oil rig is on Fido's map. Not 100% accurate of course, but not too far off either.

I wasn't referring to the oil rig.

I was referring to the suburban area instead.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:48 AM

Hey all, made this new map using the latest images available and second trailer video.
http://s10.postimage...all_GTAPrev.jpg
Click on image for better resolution and size, 4204x3804 pixels.

I did everything according to the image analysis, 3D modeling references and digital mapping of the terrain. And of course some help from this thread smile.gif

You my sir, are a genius!

But... what is screenshot 68? I've never seen it before.

mattscx
  • mattscx

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 04:48)
Hey all, made this new map using the latest images available and second trailer video.
http://s10.postimage...all_GTAPrev.jpg

I did everything according to the image analysis, 3D modeling references and digital mapping of the terrain. And of course some help from this thread  smile.gif

You my sir, are a genius!

But... what is screenshot 68? I've never seen it before.

That's because it's not an actual screenshot from GTA V. Map looks great though!

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

I'd like to point out that Adriaan said Los Santos will be "South" on the map. From another thread he posted in... so either this mean the map by jbte possibly needs to be flipped, or Los Santos is the most southern region and there is still more to go up North...

SCLASS
  • SCLASS

Homie

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

Great map Fido - it is a joke though if we get as many square blocks as Algonquin.

gtafanny
  • gtafanny

Wet n Ready

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

take a look at these comparisons between the screenshot and the view from the real Griffith Observatory. Clearly LS is much smaller than LA.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (gtafanny @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 09:01)
take a look at these comparisons between the screenshot and the view from the real Griffith Observatory. Clearly LS is much smaller than LA.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I like how the fog stays relative, as in, the viewing distance for both real and in-game LA is the same. You can hardly see much past the skyscrapers for both.

CJ_Vercetti
  • CJ_Vercetti

Peon

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE (jdrandall38 @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 03:43)
user posted image

I did everything according to the image analysis, 3D modeling references and digital mapping of the terrain. And of course some help from this thread  smile.gif

icon14.gif Nice Job.

It would be great if someone made this map interactive, that you click on a spot and see the screenshot. That way it would be much more effective, as this way it's just too large for exploration.

But excellent job in any case.

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

No Sh*t sherlock. Anyone who expected Los santos to even come remotely close to recreating to scale real life LA is beyond retarded.

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

Not so Gouranga...True Crime SOLA had a 240 sq mile rendition of LA. Yes there were a lot of repetitive buildings but all the same .

LS in V is a sh*tty cut down, corners cut , lowest common denominator pleasing shambles. LS is around 3 maybe 4 sq miles at most. What a f*cking joke. In other words, its about the size of a town of perhaps 20 000 people...not several million.

RipGore
  • RipGore

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (CJ_Vercetti @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 01:46)
user posted image

I did everything according to the image analysis, 3D modeling references and digital mapping of the terrain. And of course some help from this threadá smile.gif

icon14.gif Nice Job.

It would be great if someone made this map interactive, that you click on a spot and see the screenshot. That way it would be much more effective, as this way it's just too large for exploration.

Thats a WHOLE lotta effort. Unbelievable.

Big_Mitch_Baker
  • Big_Mitch_Baker

=┼= Angels of Death - Founder

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

Clearly LS is much smaller than LA.

I prefer it that way, R* have good level devs that know how to turn a real city into a quaint little characature of itself. Games like True Crime and L.A. Noir make L.A. look stale, no incentive to explore. I still remember every nook and cranny of the original Liberty City, Vice City, and even San Andreas because of it's scaled down "video game" quality. And I know, this sentiment has been repeated endlessly before...

@jbte: Nice work man icon14.gif
Still think LS is to the south, but I could be wrong...

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

That map is incredible jbte !
Aesthetically, it's the best map of the thread.
However, I believe it is far from accurate, Los Santos being East and all.
Where is the runway north of the prison ?
I'm sorry to say it but I'm affraid many things on your map are just wishful thinking... confused.gif
Amazing effort nonetheless icon14.gif

Squidgyone
  • Squidgyone

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

jbte = bluespot = deepthroatgta4

Seems too good to be just "fan made"

DiegoLosSantos
  • DiegoLosSantos

ThePottfather

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (RipGore @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 11:16)
QUOTE (CJ_Vercetti @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 01:46)
user posted image

I did everything according to the image analysis, 3D modeling references and digital mapping of the terrain. And of course some help from this threadá smile.gif

icon14.gif Nice Job.

Thats a WHOLE lotta effort. Unbelievable.

very nice work dude BUT LS is toooo big in comparsion to the countryside wink.gif

NML
  • NML

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (GKP @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 10:09)
Not so Gouranga...True Crime SOLA had a 240 sq mile rendition of LA. Yes there were a lot of repetitive buildings but all the same .

LS in V is a sh*tty cut down, corners cut , lowest common denominator pleasing shambles. LS is around 3 maybe 4 sq miles at most. What a f*cking joke. In other words, its about the size of a town of perhaps 20 000 people...not several million.

Are you serious?
Of course it's a cut down, that's what Rockstar has said since the first official announcement.
If it was the size of real LA it would be way too huge.
Liberty City aint the size of real New York just so you know. suicidal.gif

Davidx123
  • Davidx123

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

SINCE WHEN, A GTA, HAS A CITY THE SIZE OF A REAL LIFE CITY? SINCE f*ckING WHEN?!

ECDT1089
  • ECDT1089

TheGamer

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

user posted image

Cool map man. Seeing the effort put into maps like this makes me even more excited about the game.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:53 AM Edited by lxr, 23 November 2012 - 12:04 PM.

QUOTE (lxr @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 03:43)

Oh wow. While some of it contradicts everything we've seen so far (like the Vinewood Reservoir), this is definitely very interesting!

While I'm off to check your 89 (!) screens wink.gif ... can you tell us more about *how* you made it?

Since you asked for potential corrections, I tried to find some. The main reason my list looks long is that you included 89 screens... wink.gif

There are a few city screens where the positions of known landmarks, like the Downtown skyscrapers, suggest otherwise: 6 + 34 vs. 27 (FIB/IAA), 12 (golf course), 14 (Hollywood Blvd, camera is looking east), 16 (fire on highway), 36 (Observatory, can see airport), 40 (Gerald Desmond Bridge, can see Downtown), 45 (Rottweiler, should be west of LS River), 70 (cars near Sierra Tower), 75 (underpass near FIB/IAA), 80 (hobo, camera is looking south), 85 (Capitol Records, camera is looking south), 87 (underpass w/ graffiti, should be south of Downtown). Of course, some of them are not such a big deal.

Then there are a few countryside screens where I think their position contradicts what we're actually seeing: 47 (plane jump), 48 (highway exit), 49 (Trevor w/ telescopes), 50 (airstrip), 51 (wind farm), 58 (train collision), 63 (offroad/lake), 64 (recreation area, should be across the sea), 67 (Grapeseed), 73 (burning plane). If these are right then my theory of Blaine County is definitely wrong.

And then there are a couple of shots that leave me wondering... how can you possibly know their location? Like: 57 (train/rocket), 65 (motocross/mountain), 66 (crop duster/river), 74 (small town), 76 (Trevor w/ car on fire), 77 (Trevor w/ molotov cocktail), 78 (hikers/mountain), 79 (crop duster/vineyard). If these are intended to be speculative, then that's fine, but the map makes them look as if you had actually found them. Or you *have* found them... then I'd love to hear or see more.

One thing that made verifying locations difficult for me is that the city layout is just a generic grid, i.e. most of the streets don't have an exact counterpart in the screenshots, and some quite likely don't exist, like the two highway bridges across the LS river. (Of course, it's pretty much impossible to draw a more correct full city grid, as of now.) Also, I think that some of the larger features around the city are very speculative, like Bay City, Grapeseed or the Vinewood Reservoir. (A reservoir must have an inflow, not just outflows, right?)

Still, this map is very impressive! And while I'm not sure about the exact shape of the Alamo Sea (nobody is, I guess), the way it is stretched and rotated, compared to GTAKiwi's map, actually looks very good to me. I'd still love to know more about how you made all this, since there's obviously a lot to learn from it.

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

NML ...since when ?..the past is the past. Lets see some innovation - a cut down city sure...but there are shades of grey ffs !.

Give us a 30 sq mile city....still tiny, but at least resembling a metropolis - RESEMBLING urban sprawl , what we have is a suburb masquerading as a metropolis. Raise your expectations - R* could of made a far larger city with comparatively few assets. Lets see generic , identitkit houses , I dont care if its boring, THATS the suburbs. Crossing the town in under 2 minutes on a highway is a joke.

GetBentSaggy
  • GetBentSaggy

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (GKP @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 12:21)
NML ...since when ?..the past is the past. Lets see some innovation - a cut down city sure...but there are shades of grey ffs !.

Give us a 30 sq mile city....still tiny, but at least resembling a metropolis - RESEMBLING urban sprawl , what we have is a suburb masquerading as a metropolis. Raise your expectations - R* could of made a far larger city with comparatively few assets. Lets see generic , identitkit houses , I dont care if its boring, THATS the suburbs. Crossing the town in under 2 minutes on a highway is a joke.

Since they were catering to current-gen, no, they couldn't have made a "far larger city" AND also have kept in many other features. You'd have sacrificed a lot for those villages in South Los Angeles to have been put into GTA at an accurate scale.

If they catered for Wii U, PS4 and 720 then it would be a lot bigger, the Wii U is 50% more powerful than the 360/PS3 and so will the next Xbox/PS (or else they'll sell something too expensive and fail).

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

I would of given up everything ...just to drive in a decent representation of a city. Seriously...this gen cant end soon enough.

Yes the countryside is nice, the performance (fps wise) looks decent from the 2nd trailer ...but the city...damn, its just disappointingly small.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:02 PM Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 23 November 2012 - 02:08 PM.

QUOTE (jbte @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 04:32)
user posted image

The map is nice but I think the map should be rotated about 90 degrees since Rockstar always sets the map in a square or rectangular shape and I also think you might have north west and south east mixed up since I doubt they would put the salton sea in the complete opposite position to where it is in real life.

Grand_Theft_Coupe
  • Grand_Theft_Coupe

Trick

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

I don't know how to interpret what Game Informer said about the size of Grand Theft Auto V's map as a whole. The cover issue said something like ''When you include exterior and interior spaces together, the map of Grand Theft Auto V is the size of Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, and Red Dead Redemption combined!''. I don't know if they were talking about the city or the full map, but either way Dan Houser confirmed in his IGN interview that Los Santos downtown region was the size of Liberty City. smile.gif

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (Money Over Bullsh*t @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 14:02)
I also think you might have north west and south east mixed up

I don't think the new map has this mixed up, but I would like to make one suggestion for future mapping efforts.

We can't agree on a common scale yet, and we don't agree on certain locations... but can we agree on a common "north"?

This "north" is not something we can measure, it's something we would have to decide.

My impression is that it would make mapping easier if we assumed the following (I hope it's all the same thing):

- The Vinewood sign runs from west to east

- The mast above the sign is north from the center of the sign

- The two red logos on top of the US Bank Tower face north and south

- The downtown grid is aligned with the compass

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

^^^ This.
Vinewood Sign is North, end of story.

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Fido - considering the runways tend to be 7/800 metres long , you need to double the density of the city blocks. I appreciate that it is not too scale...but the relative scale needs to be fixed.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

With all these new maps, maybe it's fun to dig up some historical examples.

From top to bottom: 440 BC, 150 BC, 1154 AD, 1513 AD.

If you want -- I know, it's a bit of a stretch -- top is Fido (precise center), then GTAKiwi (new features), then jbte (larger area).

What would it take to make it to 1513?

user posted image

vLife
  • vLife

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

user posted image

I think it will be like this:

user posted image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users