Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,151 replies to this topic
QueNTiN5406
  • QueNTiN5406

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hello !

This dam seems to be the same that the dam near the Powell's lake.

user posted image

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (pablo77bar @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 20:59)
Cool video about the moutains in LA area

Good vid, I hope R* takes advantage of the natural beauty of that area.

Pillemannscharo
  • Pillemannscharo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 10:35)
I've also made a single-page version of the "Grand Unified Theory" (click for full size):

user posted image

To me, C and E seem to be the weakest links, as there are [E] or may be [C] other versions of the same signs nearby. But not much of the rest depends on the exact locations being correct, and they're definitely very close. Also, I find O more plausible now than I used to.

There are a few though that have to be correct for the theory to hold. If someone manages to prove them wrong, a lot will fall apart, including the map.

Nice 1. I like that kind of collections.

cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

Wreak Havoc in Los Santos
  • Wreak Havoc in Los Santos

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

so

how big is the map based upon this measurements?

30 square miles?

T0X1C
  • T0X1C

Carry on My Wayward Son

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

I still think we've seen very little of Los Santos. I'm no expert but there are plenty of L.A landmarks that I haven't seen in any screenshot, for example I haven't seen any indication of the four level interchange (I think it's called). I'm sure it will be in the game.

C Js Afro
  • C Js Afro

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (Mm9090 @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 18:17)
I still think we've seen very little of Los Santos. I'm no expert but there are plenty of L.A landmarks that I haven't seen in any screenshot, for example I haven't seen any indication of the four level interchange (I think it's called). I'm sure it will be in the game.

There must be a lot of the map still to be revealed. For a map the size of what R* say it is, we've only really seen a few different areas just from different views. Basically downtown, venice beach, the docks, the salton sea based town and a little of the area from around Vinewood. Surely thats not enough for a map the size of what they've made. I don't think It's a coincidence that everything we've seen so far seems, to be from the same few missions. I'd love to know how much they've kept back, although I don't think theres much more of Los Santos itself to see apart from the suburbs. I hope I'm wrong. But I think there must be alot of the surrounding area left to see though.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (QueNTiN5406 @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 09:59)
Hello !

This dam seems to be the same that the dam near the Powell's lake.

user posted image

Damn! What program are you using? That looks awesome.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Sorry for double post but just wanted to let you all know iGTA5 found something else in the Beach House/9F picture:
1355 Palisades Beach Road
user posted image

Sorry if I'm late, lol

hristobg
  • hristobg

IV Map Modder, Scholarship Edition Project Leader

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

What I don't like is that I will never remember the names of all streets, hoods and places in GTA V. I will never remember the whole map... sad.gif

user posted image

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

I think the map needs to be updated.

user posted image

I don't know. It's really hard whether the highway is turning straight from Santa Monica or it was straight from the start. Also, I think the US Route 23 is a parody of US Route 101, a highway that starts in Los Angeles and goes through San Jose and San Francisco and then goes all the way north to Olympia, WA. Of course, I'm not saying all those areas are in the game. Just thought I'd throw that out.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 20:15)
Sorry for double post but just wanted to let you all know iGTA5 found something else in the Beach House/9F picture:
1355 Palisades Beach Road
user posted image

Sorry if I'm late, lol

You're late ^^
But only by a day as someone found this house yesterday wink.gif

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:33 PM Edited by zombie elvis, 22 November 2012 - 08:56 PM.

QUOTE (Death2Drugs @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 19:22)
I think the map needs to be updated.

user posted image

I don't know. It's really hard whether the highway is turning straight from Santa Monica or it was straight from the start. Also, I think the US Route 23 is a parody of US Route 101, a highway that starts in Los Angeles and goes through San Jose and San Francisco and then goes all the way north to Olympia, WA. Of course, I'm not saying all those areas are in the game. Just thought I'd throw that out.

There's a 23 that connects to the 101 too.

I don't think that shot is the coastal road, but it's up the hill from there. Any idea what that building is behind the sign?

Edit: actually I think it must be the coast road, a few bends beyond Del Perro.

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (Death2Drugs @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 19:22)

http://en.wikipedia...._State_Route_23

Los Santos APB
  • Los Santos APB

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (Money Over Bullsh*t @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 12:37)
QUOTE (NML @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 13:30)
Does anybody know what dam this is based on?
user posted image

The Morris dam in the San Gabriel Valley. Altough the telecom tower is not present in real life.

EDIT: It could also be based on the San Gabriel dam.

But is that a telecom tower or a winch for the floodgates? The concrete is built in a shape that supports a winch rather than a radio tower, imho.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:30 PM Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 22 November 2012 - 11:43 PM.

QUOTE (Los Santos APB @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 22:12)
QUOTE (Money Over Bullsh*t @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 12:37)
QUOTE (NML @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 13:30)
Does anybody know what dam this is based on?
user posted image

The Morris dam in the San Gabriel Valley. Altough the telecom tower is not present in real life.

EDIT: It could also be based on the San Gabriel dam.

But is that a telecom tower or a winch for the floodgates? The concrete is built in a shape that supports a winch rather than a radio tower, imho.

Yeah you're right.. it's a winch. Either way it's absent on the real deal.

Apologies for my horrible 2 minute editing of google maps but this is what I think the map will be laid out like:

user posted image

I've thought about how they would likely do it and a triangular formation seems to be the most logical layout with Los Angeles, Malibu, Long Beach and Palm Springs making up the bottom portion, the Grapeseed/Farmland area and the airforce base making up the the north west portion and the Salton Sea/Blaine County area making up the North west portion. In real life the Salton sea sits geographically below the Angeles National Forest/San Gabriel mountains but in the screenshots it seems to be located above or behind it which is why I placed it where I did.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE (Money Over Bullsh*t @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 22:30)
Apologies for my horrible 2 minute editing of google maps but this is what I think the map will be laid out like:

Not that my edits make it any better wink.gif ... but I just realized that the shape of the Alamo Sea, or what we've seen of it, may actually be quite close to the actual shape of the Salton Sea.

user posted image

NGC BemaR
  • NGC BemaR

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (Warmaster666 @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 11:19)
On the GTA V Map:

This world -- the range of height and between north and south and east and west -- is huge, and it's a real strength. It felt California. Oceans are there and tall hills are there. We wanted those in the game. For us, this kind of world, that was a big properly-realized L.A. and a huge slab of regionally appropriate countryside, felt like the most interesting match to do something new with. Doing other cities just didn't seem appealing. Doing small towns is very appealing. There's a bunch of small towns and villages and whatnot in there to discover and play around in. Doing other cities, though, felt like it was going to create problems we didn't need. It wasn't going to add to the experience. Of course you could do a game with a bunch of cities now that could be pretty interesting, but we didn't think that was going to be this game. This map is going to be spectacular to people when they start exploring and playing around with it.

http://www.ign.com/a...stions-answered

So how big a piece of the map would we have puzzled together so far you all think? 25% And did we already see towns and villages? I can't recall i did, how big would they be? Some towns the size of Alderney and villages the size of Bohan would be good for me if there aren't any major city's like Los Santos in the game.

I agree. 25% sounds about right maybe less. If were right, what a game were in for!!! sly.gif

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 01:10)

Not that my edits make it any better wink.gif ... but I just realized that the shape of the Alamo Sea, or what we've seen of it, may actually be quite close to the actual shape of the Salton Sea.

user posted image

The editing of the salton sea's shape seems to be a bit more accurate but Vinewood is nowhere near where you've placed it. It's actually just above the word "Los" in "Los Angeles" right in the middle of the map. If you're referring to the Vinewwod sign though then it is located just below the word "Glendale".

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (Money Over Bullsh*t @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 00:20)
The editing of the salton sea's shape seems to be a bit more accurate but Vinewood is nowhere near where you've placed it. It's actually just above the word "Los" in "Los Angeles" right in the middle of the map. If you're referring to the Vinewwod sign though then it is located just below the word "Glendale".

I know, I know wink.gif ... nothing is nowhere near I placed it, Grapeseed and Mount Chiliad are both wrong, etc. This was only about the relative position of the Alamo Sea to the Vinewood Sign (which I placed at the one spot on the map from where you can see both the city and the sea).

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:02 AM Edited by lxr, 23 November 2012 - 03:15 AM.

QUOTE (NGC BemaR @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 00:11)
QUOTE (Warmaster666 @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 11:19)

So how big a piece of the map would we have puzzled together so far you all think? 25% And did we already see towns and villages? I can't recall i did, how big would they be? Some towns the size of Alderney and villages the size of Bohan would be good for me if there aren't any major city's like Los Santos in the game.

I agree. 25% sounds about right maybe less. If were right, what a game were in for!!! sly.gif

My gut feeling is it's more like 50% (unless there is a lot of desert), but that's of course nothing but wild guessing. I still think we could actually know better, see here. It just turns out to be surprisingly hard to find accurate numbers about the map size of RDR, everyone says something else. The only thing I can personally vouch for is that these two maps of GTA IV are 6,000 by 6,000 meters and 5,400 by 3,600 meters. And the only thing I can say about LC vs. LS (see here), and that isn't much, is that if LC is meant to be all islands combined, then neither of the cities seems to be very clearly very much larger than the other one.

Currently, the ends of the known world are the motocross bridge (H2) in the NW and the boxy-top mountain (L1) in the NE, but of course the train bridge (N1) has to lead somewhere, further up north. And then there is the whole eastern part of the map, we just haven't seen much of it yet.

NML
  • NML

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 00:10)

user posted image

I'll bet it's shaped like a penis turn.gif

TenEightyOne
  • TenEightyOne

We're bouncing now?

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

Amazing stuff... there's still something new and interesting every time I review this thread - kudos to all biggrin.gif

Mind you, it's 1AM-ish and the rum is nearly gone... icon14.gif

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:01 AM Edited by lxr, 23 November 2012 - 02:59 AM.

Found it:

user posted image

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:04 AM

Image I found (not by me):

user posted image

Notice the observatory? That would mean that the San Fernando/San Gabriel area is northeast of Downtown, meaning the location roughly mirrors San Gabriel Valley.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE (Death2Drugs @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 02:04)
Notice the observatory? That would mean that the San Fernando/San Gabriel area is northeast of Downtown, meaning the location roughly mirrors San Gabriel Valley.

The oil rig is on Fido's map. Not 100% accurate of course, but not too far off either.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:35 AM Edited by lxr, 23 November 2012 - 02:51 AM.

Just made a quick collection of (what I think are) the screens we haven't been able to place so far, 33 in total:

user posted image

Maybe that helps. There are a few that will be next to impossible to find, but also a few that should be easier.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:31 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 02:35)
33 in total

One down?

(arrows, not box)

user posted image

user posted image

jbte
  • jbte

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:32 AM

Hey all, made this new map using the latest images available and second trailer video.
user posted image
Click on image for better resolution and size, 4204x3804 pixels.

I did everything according to the image analysis, 3D modeling references and digital mapping of the terrain. And of course some help from this thread smile.gif
Hope you like, any corrections let me know!

jdrandall38
  • jdrandall38

Out of Work Comedian

• Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:43 AM

QUOTE (jbte @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 03:32)
Hey all, made this new map using the latest images available and second trailer video.
user posted image
Click on image for better resolution and size, 4204x3804 pixels.

I did everything according to the image analysis, 3D modeling references and digital mapping of the terrain. And of course some help from this thread smile.gif

icon14.gif Nice Job.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:43 AM

QUOTE (jbte @ Friday, Nov 23 2012, 03:32)

Oh wow. While some of it contradicts everything we've seen so far (like the Vinewood Reservoir), this is definitely very interesting!

While I'm off to check your 89 (!) screens wink.gif ... can you tell us more about *how* you made it?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users