Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

Various Bus Routes will be in GTA5

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:44 PM Edited by Fido_le_muet, 21 November 2012 - 08:59 PM.

QUOTE (Death2Drugs @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 19:19)
QUOTE (BoolCaX @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 14:47)
Its building near union station

user posted image

Its close to highway, canal and railroad
user posted image

Quoting because it's a shame this wasn't noticed at all.

Could you guys explain why you think this is it ?
I mean I don't see it, except for the spot on location of both.
I'd would be great to find another building !

And by the way, I think I got something else :
user posted image

pablo77bar
  • pablo77bar

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

Cool video about the moutains in LA area

VegaLA
  • VegaLA

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

user posted image

Looks like it was taken off a new iPhone! biggrin.gif

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (VegaLA @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 22:07)
Looks like it was taken off a new iPhone! biggrin.gif

Straight from my computer screen !

artificialguy
  • artificialguy

Snitch

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 20:44)
And by the way, I think I got something else :

Unity Station probably will be back! smile.gif

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

Your post on the 4th Street Bridge is quite interesting. it was featured in L.A. Noire. However, I have one question: why is there a hill past it? The screenshot makes no sense at all. There are no hills past the 4th Street Bridge. What is Rockstar doing to Los Santos?

artificialguy
  • artificialguy

Snitch

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

Haha, someone posted this image of a building in this thread, but haven't you found another detail? smile.gif

user posted image

Coronta
  • Coronta

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

Hi, I'm new here.
I read all the stuff. You guys do a great job with all the mapping.
If i remember the car list in MP3, we can expect a snowplough. Means we need a mountain with snow. Will there be more
mountains behind those we saw in the trailer? The things we saw is pretty big, but i thinks there must be more.
A goal to drive/fly to.

I think (hope) there is another mountain with a lot of snow. could be wrong.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (Death2Drugs @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 23:20)
Your post on the 4th Street Bridge is quite interesting. it was featured in L.A. Noire. However, I have one question: why is there a hill past it? The screenshot makes no sense at all. There are no hills past the 4th Street Bridge. What is Rockstar doing to Los Santos?

That part is a ripoff of 4th Street Bridge but the actual copy of the bridge in Los Santos isn't here.
It is located more to the south, just east of downtown.
You can see it on this screenshot :
user posted image

It actually goes like this from North to South :
- 4th Street Bridge ramp close to the overpass
- 6th Street Bridge
- 4th Street Bridge

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 22:37)
QUOTE (Death2Drugs @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 23:20)

That part is a ripoff of 4th Street Bridge but the actual copy of the bridge in Los Santos isn't here.
It is located more to the south, just east of downtown.
You can see it on this screenshot :
user posted image

It actually goes like this from North to South :
- 4th Street Bridge ramp close to the overpass
- 6th Street Bridge
- 4th Street Bridge

See it now. Thanks.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

If everything we've seen has been connected, IT'S ALL DESERT... where the hell is our lush countryside and tall forest trees? Where is our "Tall Trees" for GTAV? It can't all be just desert. There must be more to the map beyond the mountains, some really rural forestry areas before the edge of the map or something with some creepy little "cabins in the woods" stuff

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 22:57)
If everything we've seen has been connected, IT'S ALL DESERT... where the hell is our lush countryside and tall forest trees?

It's as if Rockstar noticed this thread and tried to make us all go crazy.

BTW, it might not necessarily be desert. It could just be dry grass.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:50 PM

If everything we've seen has been connected, IT'S ALL DESERT... where the hell is our lush countryside and tall forest trees? Where is our "Tall Trees" for GTAV? It can't all be just desert. There must be more to the map beyond the mountains, some really rural forestry areas before the edge of the map or something with some creepy little "cabins in the woods" stuff

According to IGN, see here, the countryside ("rolling hills") may be east of Los Santos.

There's one more thing.

The way I understand it, GTA V is not intended to be geographically accurate, but it's supposed to be realistic.

So the longer I keep looking at this desert sea with two outflows, the more I'm wondering if we might still be missing something...

GTAKiwi
  • GTAKiwi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 01:55)
Many things to follow up on... but let me start with this one:

QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 02:13)
-I've looked closely at the wind park shot and the jet shot, and I'm not 100% sure where exactly they fit into the map, so I've left them out for now.

First of all: I love the new version of your map.

But I'd like to make the case that we can actually extend our "known" zone by a tiny bit, in the northeast.

Credit goes to OUPS, who messaged me the gamer.nl screenshot below.

I can see three things here. One is that the green arrow looks like a very good match. But the other two things are the two shapes on the right, and to my eyes, these must be two radio telescopes (just their top section -- all the rest, and all the others, are hidden behind a small ledge). In consequence, the trees you see in the gamer.nl screenshot would be the trees you see in the gameinformer screenshot below. The plane, if you want to look at it that way, will make an emergency landing on the airstrip, and the horizontal structures just right of the right arm may or may not be part of the outer fence of the prison.

The exact position of the motorcyclist from the gamer.nl pic on the gameinformer pic remains to be figured out, but I think there is very strong evidence that the three mountains we've seen before in fact do form the eastern boundary of the Alamo Sea. If that is so, then we can even see, for the first time, how the northernmost one (green arrow) is connected to the mountain range north of the sea.

It certainly does look like those hills are at the northeast end of the lake, but due to not being 100% sure
when making the map, I didn't want to put something in the map that I wasn't sure of it's exact location
to the other mountains in my map. I wanted everything on the map to be reasonably accurate.
So It got left out.

And sorry guys, I probably won't be updating my map anymore, as it was just a quick one off map to see
how the countryside would fit together around Los Santos, going by the pictures we have. Due to it being
a quick map, it's not that accurate, and things are a bit out scale with each other. Also some things are not
positioned exactly as they should be. To continue updating this map, it would be best to make it more
accurate, and that would be quite a big task, and would probably be better to start a completely new
map.

I'm happy to wait till Fido adds a more accurate countryside to his map, or maybe someone else will
start mapping out the countryside.

malmoutte
  • malmoutte

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:13 AM Edited by malmoutte, 22 November 2012 - 02:35 AM.

For the moment we've got "little forest" no ?
We see Palm tree in desert and big tree in moutain.

quad
burn
town
plane
chiliad
train
grapeseed
parachuting
and so on...

It seems to be that down the big hills, along rivers, on some hills and Chiliad it will be trees.
The surrounding of Vinewood hill seems green apparently too.

Moreover the LOD is misleading, trees appears when they are close.
But see here, i think the trees are just a green texture, when we have the sun in the eyes, behind the moutains, we see the silhouette of a mountains and no trees, we just see a big black rock and it affect our vision of the map.

I don't see big green forest either, but San Andreas was just like that (California too) no ?

So, will it be ? I don't know, but what i see is that for the moment :
_ this map contains the house of the 3 protagonists
_ this map is big enough, that goes with rockstars interview/news (we don't know yet any interiors/undersea)
_ one major city, various landscapes, salton sea, a lake, little lost towns

One positif clue is the famous 1/3 of the map behind the Chiliad, because we don't see it close yet.

I really hope there are many city with a enormous map but i really doubt about it.
Rendez vous for the trailer 3 biggrin.gif

cabbie786
  • cabbie786

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE (artificialguy @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 22:30)
Haha, someone posted this image of a building in this thread, but haven't you found another detail? smile.gif

user posted image

WHAT THE FUXKKKKKK panic.gif

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:49 AM

Ive been thinking the same thing. We are yet to see any real forested areas. There a glimpses with the hikers in trailer 1 and the plane flying through the valley in trailer 2. The GI articel mentioned a large wilderness surrounding Chilliad area and also mentioned a salton sea region so I dont think R* mean the deserts around the salton sea as part of the "wilderness". Judging by the salton sea and Zancudo river screens very little forest area is visible, mainly rocky desert and arid plains which gives me hope there is stll a whole lot of environment we are yet to be shown.

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:50 AM

Cedars-Sinai! Yet another nod to Heat.

SimMaster
  • SimMaster

San Andreas Explorer

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:06 AM

Where does the river in the northeast lead to? There could be a massive forest we haven't seen yet.

FRAIZER
  • FRAIZER

Made in the '80s

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA Online]

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 23:50)

According to IGN, see here, the countryside ("rolling hills") may be east of Los Santos.

There's one more thing.

The way I understand it, GTA V is not intended to be geographically accurate, but it's supposed to be realistic.

So the longer I keep looking at this desert sea with two outflows, the more I'm wondering if we might still be missing something...

Eh, I would trust my dick being massaged in a meat grinder before I would trust anything from ign...

LS and LA are close geographically, but like you said, not exact. For example: The position of the Hollywood sign and Griffith observatory are switched relative to the city in V. If you looked at the Hollywood sign from Downtown, it would be behind and to the left of the Griffith observatory, while looking at the Vinewood sign in GTA, you'll notice it sits to the right of the observatory.

FRAIZER
  • FRAIZER

Made in the '80s

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA Online]

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:04 AM

Looking at the map in the first post (Great Job by the way, GTAKiwi!) it seems to me that the arrow pointing up to peak "O" in picture 1 is an impossible angle for it to be the same Peak "O" in pic 8.

Fishman92
  • Fishman92

Snitch

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:21 AM Edited by Fishman92, 22 November 2012 - 08:35 AM.

Where does everybody think the airport will be?

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:57 AM Edited by zombie elvis, 22 November 2012 - 09:00 AM.

The northern mountains will have 'Tall trees' like areas.
Then there's Grapeseed farmland which looks like it must be west of the Air force base. East and west coast could be countryside but we've not seen much of them yet.
Tall trees was relatively tiny compared to the rest of RDR's map, I think it'll be bigger than that with the amount of hillside we've got

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:19 AM Edited by lxr, 22 November 2012 - 10:54 AM.

I went through some of last weeks findings again... and this one was actually one of the greatest discoveries.

While the opening looks more like from the L.A. Noire era, there is a lot of more contemporary heist and car chase footage later on. Those who have played TBOGT will smile at the 6 minute mark. From minute 40 on, there is a whole segment on Hollywood villas, a lot of which we might still find in the game. And the whole thing has been mapped really nicely.

Highly recommended watching for everyone who can afford to take off three hours from mapping LS!

QUOTE (robertluxemburg @ Wednesday, Nov 14 2012, 12:39)
Hey... I just thought this one is quite relevant in a "Mapping Los Santos" thread:

This is the city: Los Angeles, California. They make movies here. I live here.

Sometimes I think that gives me the right to criticize the way movies depict my
city.

I know it's not easy. The city is big. The image is small. Movies are vertical.
At least when they're projected on a screen. The city is horizontal, except for
what we call downtown. Maybe that's why the movies love downtown more than we
do. If it isn't the site of the action, they try to stick its high-rise towers
in the back of the shot.

But movies have some advantages over us.

They can fly through the air. We must travel by land.

They exist in space. We live and die in time.

So why should I be generous?

Of course, I know movies aren't about places, they're about stories. If we
notice the location, we are not really watching the movie. It's what's up front
that counts. Movies bury their traces, choosing for us what to watch, then
moving on to something else.

They do the work of our voluntary attention, and so we must suppress that
faculty as we watch. Our involuntary attention must come to the fore.

But what if we watch with our voluntary attention, instead of letting the movies
direct us?

If we can appreciate documentaries for their dramatic qualities, perhaps we can
appreciate fiction films for their documentary revelations.

And what if suspense is just another alienation effect. Isn't that what
Hitchcock taught? For him, suspense was a means of enlivening his touristy
travelogues. Then maybe I can find another way to animate this city symphony in
reverse. Maybe this effort to see how movies depict Los Angeles may seem more
than wrong-headed or mean-spirited.

Full script:
http://newfilmkritik...s-plays-itself/
List of references:
http://www.imdb.com/...ovieconnections
Review by Jonathan Rosenbaum:
http://www.chicagore...004/041001.html

Ten years ago, Thom Anderson made an amazing three-hour film titled "Los Angeles Plays Itself", in which he analyzes and criticizes how the city of Los Angeles has been depicted in movies, using hundreds of clips that feature many prominent and not-so-prominent landmarks. Not only is it one of the greatest exercises in "Mapping Los Angeles" that I'm aware of, but also, just like this thread, it deals with a fictional city that is heavily compressed and distorted. I'm pretty sure the film shows quite a few areas and buildings that you're trying to identify, and it should be a good filter, since just like GTA V, it's interested in iconic, but sometimes unobvious locations.

For an interactive map of "Los Angeles Plays Itself", click on the image below.

user posted image

You can watch the full film here. The video player can be used to search for places (see here for details). Alternatively, most of it should also be on YouTube.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:53 AM Edited by lxr, 22 November 2012 - 10:03 AM.

QUOTE (FRA1Z3R @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 04:04)
Looking at the map in the first post (Great Job by the way, GTAKiwi!) it seems to me that the arrow pointing up to peak "O" in picture 1 is an impossible angle for it to be the same Peak "O" in pic 8.

I think that in picture 1, the arrow is intended to indicate that peak "O" is quite a bit further up.

But I realized that I hadn't really looked much at picture 1... not at the area behind the bridge.

I'm not saying that the ledge has to be the blue arrow ledge, or the distant mountain has to be the green arrow mountain... but there might be something to it.

Picture 1 on the left, with picture 3 on the right, for comparison:

user posted image

Blue arrow ledge:

user posted image

user posted image

Green arrow mountain:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

I've also made a single-page version of the "Grand Unified Theory" (click for full size):

user posted image

To me, C and E seem to be the weakest links, as there are [E] or may be [C] other versions of the same signs nearby. But not much of the rest depends on the exact locations being correct, and they're definitely very close. Also, I find O more plausible now than I used to.

There are a few though that have to be correct for the theory to hold. If someone manages to prove them wrong, a lot will fall apart, including the map.
  • streetsoflossantos likes this

jmb180
  • jmb180

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 10:35)
I've also made a single-page version of the "Grand Unified Theory" (click for full size):

Bravo. Very impressive (and convincing).

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:26 PM Edited by lxr, 22 November 2012 - 04:58 PM.

QUOTE (jmb180 @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 12:14)
QUOTE (lxr @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 10:35)

Bravo. Very impressive (and convincing).

However... can someone explain the following?

In P, I have no doubt about the location of the highway exit, and I'm also pretty sure that the mountain ranges are identical.

But why is there no trace whatsoever of the mast above the Vinewood Sign?

I'm aware that the Vinewood Hills are not just one single line of hills... but still, it's weird.

Edited to add: See here and here for orientation.

NML
  • NML

Snitch

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Does anybody know what dam this is based on?
user posted image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users