Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,079 replies to this topic
malmoutte
  • malmoutte

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 13:26)
OK I'll bite, I think there's a log of good observations but why do you all think the foggy flat blue area is all lake instead of a flat desert?
I think the lake will be in the top right near the mountain but it's not going to be the size of Los Santos city like most of the maps are depicting it. In a lot of pictures you can see the buildings and mountains rise out of the mist , they've clearly using a ground fog technique which adds fog based on height as well as distance, as so any low down areas are going to blend towards a single fog color, which happens to be blue here.

I have the same idea, but i change my mind.
The 10 pages before are what you need to read.

Look at the gtaKiwi map with the screen in it.
Look at the grand unified theory from Lxr.

The lake/sea is here and it's big.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 14:47)
@fido

I think you need to start expanding your map regions and flesh out the desert/countryside area, I'm curious to see how it all comes together. I don't think the city will change much in shape from now on.

Well, I'm not sure yet that everything is connected as suggest the Grand Unified Theory.
I mean I see what all of you have been working on for the last couple of days and it makes sense but I'm waiting for more intel on that.
Besides, the map by GTAKiwi is great as it is and it sums everything up fine.
So I'll wait before starting mapping the countryside.
And like I said before, I don't want to start drawing too early as I'll have to start all over again as new info comes out I'm sure.
Like all of you, I'm gonna rely on GTAKiwi for now but I'll be mapping the countryside for sure when we have more to chew on wink.gif

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 14:07)
QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 14:47)
@fido

I think you need to start expanding your map regions and flesh out the desert/countryside area, I'm curious to see how it all comes together. I don't think the city will change much in shape from now on.

Well, I'm not sure yet that everything is connected as suggest the Grand Unified Theory.
I mean I see what all of you have been working on for the last couple of days and it makes sense but I'm waiting for more intel on that.
Besides, the map by GTAKiwi is great as it is and it sums everything up fine.
So I'll wait before starting mapping the countryside.
And like I said before, I don't want to start drawing too early as I'll have to start all over again as new info comes out I'm sure.
Like all of you, I'm gonna rely on GTAKiwi for now but I'll be mapping the countryside for sure when we have more to chew on wink.gif

Fair enough icon14.gif

Keep it coming anyway! Great work

poncratias
  • poncratias

a thread for threads

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 02:13)

Here is the updated map:
user posted image
FULL SIZE

user posted image
FULL SIZE

quoting because of awesomeness, so this version of the map gets rescued over to this page

lava lamp
  • lava lamp

cupa

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (poncratias @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 14:16)
QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 02:13)

Here is the updated map:
user posted image
FULL SIZE

user posted image
FULL SIZE

quoting because of awesomeness, so this version of the map gets rescued over to this page

yeah wow nice one. i think this is probably the closes. but we shall seeeeeee

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (malmoutte @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 13:51)
QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 13:26)
OK I'll bite, I think there's a log of good observations but why do you all think the foggy flat blue area is all lake instead of a flat desert?  
I think the lake will be in the top right near the mountain but it's not going to be the size of Los Santos city like most of the maps are depicting it.  In a lot of pictures you can see the buildings and mountains rise out of the mist , they've clearly using a ground fog technique which adds fog based on height as well as distance, as so any low down areas are going to blend towards a single fog color, which happens to be blue here.

I have the same idea, but i change my mind.
The 10 pages before are what you need to read.

Look at the gtaKiwi map with the screen in it.
Look at the grand unified theory from Lxr.

The lake/sea is here and it's big.

Just a very quick reply to zombie elvis:

I was seeing fog there just like you, for a week or so. Then I saw the surface of the runway. And that made it much more plausible that the shade of blue you're talking about is actually the color of the ground, not just mist. See this post.

Needless to say that it also fits with all the other observations.

BoolCaX
  • BoolCaX

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

One more beach house identifed
user posted image

koeklin
  • koeklin

- - - - cut here - - - -

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 15:08)
On an unrelated note, I think I found something :
Wilshire Colonnade

I agree. I've already noticed these buildings (3701 & 3731 Wilshire) on the same picture but I didn't know they are named Wilshire Colonnade.
What I can't find are the 3 buidlings arranged in a circular arc to the right of the Wilshire Colonnade, curious layout...

I want to thank you for all the work you've done on this topic (map, edited images with captions, building found etc.). I'm really impressed.

BoolCaX
  • BoolCaX

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:47 PM Edited by BoolCaX, 21 November 2012 - 02:54 PM.

Its building near union station

user posted image

Its close to highway, canal and railroad
user posted image

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 14:23)

I was seeing fog there just like you, for a week or so. Then I saw the surface of the runway. And that made it much more plausible that the shade of blue you're talking about is actually the color of the ground, not just mist. See this post.

That's what I don't understand, the 'lake' is pretty much the same color as the runway, I'm not saying it's totally obscured by mist, but the color is a product of the fog calculation, it won't look like that when you're standing next to it. The arrows in your link could be right but that doesn't explain why the lake would have to go beyond the blue arrow. I don't think I'm going to convince anyone though, we'll have to see if they release another trailer or more pics.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:11 PM Edited by lxr, 21 November 2012 - 03:23 PM.

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 14:56)
QUOTE (lxr @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 14:23)

That's what I don't understand, the 'lake' is pretty much the same color as the runway, I'm not saying it's totally obscured by mist, but the color is a product of the fog calculation, it won't look like that when you're standing next to it. The arrows in your link could be right but that doesn't explain why the lake would have to go beyond the blue arrow. I don't think I'm going to convince anyone though, we'll have to see if they release another trailer or more pics.

Totally agree with what you're saying. We may see a thin layer of fog, but we can still see the geography (runway, long straight road or track, shoreline, etc.).

And you're right, in the "dead guy in the water" pic, the lake wouldn't have to extend beyond the blue arrow. What makes me believe it does are these images, I) and J).

(Again, in the image with the plane, there is blue fog, and some of the "waves" may well be compression artefacts. But I think what it looks like most is water, with a bit of shoreline on the far right.)

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

What do you mean BoolCaX ?
The red circled building and the one on Google Maps are the same ?

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 15:11)

And you're right, in the "dead guy in the water" pic, the lake wouldn't have to extend beyond the blue arrow. What makes me believe it does are these images, I) and J).

(Again, in the image with the plane, there is blue fog, and some of the "waves" may well be compression artefacts. But I think what it looks like most is water, with a bit of shoreline on the far right.)

Thinking about it I'm going to say the Trevor pic shows Mt. Chiliad in the distance to the left, and the ridge behind Trevor is the boxy mountain in the bike+burning plane picture. The other shoreline picture is all palm trees but there's none in Trevor's picture.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 21:43)
The buildings I was talking about earlier and where are we on the flynt Productions building and 6100 Wilshire ?
Are they 100% confirmed or is there a closer match ?

With Flynt Productions and 6100 Wilshire, I haven't made any progress. They're both relatively good matches, in terms of both shape and RL location. But I fear they're neither 100% confirmed, nor is there a closer match. (Critical Care Tower may be a tie.)

It could be that we're entering the phase where many of the remaining buildings don't have one identical RL counterpart (like Mellon Bank, or Franklin Plaza Apartments, in case we settle on that one).

The "black with golden top" one near the highway interchange NE of downtown is astonishingly hard, too... I've been looking for it for quite a while, and I guess we can't fully rule out that the exact same building does not exist in RL. (Even though usually, R* don't make up stuff.)

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 16:39)
The "black with golden top" one near the highway interchange NE of downtown is astonishingly hard, too... I've been looking for it for quite a while, and I guess we can't fully rule out that the exact same building does not exist in RL. (Even though usually, R* don't make up stuff.)

Yeah, this one is really pissing me off !
I've been going around Downtown LA like a dozen times on Google Earth and nothing seems to match.
There isn't even a building that has some features like the one in Los Santos !

BoolCaX
  • BoolCaX

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 15:24)

Yes, but it seems that you dont think so .. nvm

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 15:37)
QUOTE (lxr @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 15:11)

Thinking about it I'm going to say the Trevor pic shows Mt. Chiliad in the distance to the left, and the ridge behind Trevor is the boxy mountain in the bike+burning plane picture. The other shoreline picture is all palm trees but there's none in Trevor's picture.

I see why it's tempting, but if you compare J1 and L1 (both have the tower above the Vinewood Sign), the two boxy tops can't be the same. In my theory, the ridge to the left of the boxy mountain in the "bike and burning plane" pic leads up to the boxy mountain in the "dead guy in the water" pic.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (BoolCaX @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 16:52)
QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 15:24)

Yes, but it seems that you dont think so .. nvm

Well, I don't see any common features but maybe that's just me.
It doesn't mean you're wrong mate wink.gif

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:22 PM Edited by lxr, 21 November 2012 - 04:24 PM.

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 03:46)
QUOTE (lxr @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 10:52)
One thing I read on this forum, even though I think it won't help yet, is that highway lanes in GTA are 5 meters wide (a bit wider than in real life, to allow for a more reckless driving style).

Yep, I observed this on the 1-meter-scale 6000x6000 rendering of San Andreas and found it to be true in GTA IV as well. It's probably a GTA standard that makes the math of traffic programming easier, creating sort of a grid to align traffic paths to, and it tends to open up a 2m-wide path down the centerline in slow traffic so the player can squeeze through in a typical 2m-wide car. I'm sure we've all experienced that.

If GTAV continues the 5m lane standard it should help with scaling these highways.

As far as I understand it, traffic paths in GTA work like this: There are lots of vertices (=nodes, i.e. points), spaced a few meters apart, connected by edges (=lines, i.e. roads), forming a graph (=network, i.e. street map), and cars move along these lines. Boats travel the same way. You can extract this data from the PC version of GTA IV, see below. Both images are to scale (full size A, full size B), 1 pixel per meter.

user posted image

While we don't really need the lane width yet, it may come in handy later. Or even sooner, in case you want to start to map Downtown.

GTARandom
  • GTARandom

Unfortunate piece of meat

• Feroci Racing
  • Croatia

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Looks so out of place to me, like for modding, your reply doesn't answer the real size

6000x6000 is the size used in SA and IV. V will be larger than that , maybe up to 12kx12k

VegaLA
  • VegaLA

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:39 PM Edited by VegaLA, 21 November 2012 - 04:42 PM.

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 13:08)
On an unrelated note, I think I found something :
user posted image

Yep, that would make sense, except in the image we'd be looking at the back of the building. As you walk up Wilshire Blvd towards Downtown that building is on the left, and on the right side is a mini mall and some grass area with steps where skateboarders get yelled at by security.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:42 PM Edited by lxr, 21 November 2012 - 05:08 PM.

QUOTE (GTARandom @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 16:27)
Looks so out of place to me, like for modding, your reply doesn't answer the real size

The data from IV can be used to make estimates about V. See this post, for example. One assumption to start with could be that in V, the height of the US Bank tower is accurate. As you can see here (again, 1px=1m), in IV, Empire State Building, Chrysler Building etc. were just about right.

QUOTE (GTARandom @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 16:27)
6000x6000 is the size used in SA and IV. V will be larger than that , maybe up to 12kx12k

If someone wants to do the math, I think we have enough information to compute the estimated map size in square meters or miles: "3xRDR land mass, 5xRDR with water", and "SA+IV+RDR+'room to spare'". The latter doesn't say if it's meant to include water or not, but I guess once you do the math, you'll know.

GTARandom
  • GTARandom

Unfortunate piece of meat

• Feroci Racing
  • Croatia

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

R* could be troling and be full of lies biggrin.gif

Most things get cut out the game anyway

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (gustovski @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 00:52)
i merged the iv map and the map posted earlier
user posted image

Um, wasn't it already stated that Los Santos IS bigger than Liberty City by square milage? So shouldn't I see some Los Santos outskirts pass LC's outskirts?

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:19 PM Edited by lxr, 21 November 2012 - 05:33 PM.

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 17:07)
Um, wasn't it already stated that Los Santos IS bigger than Liberty City by square milage? So shouldn't I see some Los Santos outskirts pass LC's outskirts?

You have to take into account what you're looking at: A map of Blaine County that was never intended to reflect the accurate dimensions of Los Santos at its southern edge, then Fido's map pasted into it, which so far has been about buildings and positions, and not about the exact scale of Los Santos, and finally, superimposed, a map of Liberty City that is stretched and/or tilted to look more "3D", without any indication that is has the correct size/scale. I don't think you can see or say anything, based on that image. The superimposition by Choco Taco that I linked to in my previous post may be better... but caution, all this is still in its experimental phase.

lava lamp
  • lava lamp

cupa

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 17:07)
QUOTE (gustovski @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 00:52)
i merged the iv map and the map posted earlier
user posted image

I think he's just using LC to represent the size of LS compared to the rest of the map

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (BoolCaX @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 14:47)
Its building near union station

user posted image

Its close to highway, canal and railroad
user posted image

Quoting because it's a shame this wasn't noticed at all.

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:30 PM Edited by ZeeKid2k10, 21 November 2012 - 06:33 PM.

user posted image

Trailer 2 GTA5 bus to real life

http://en.wikipedia....El_Monte_Busway

https://maps.google....F-8&sa=N&tab=il

TrevorPhilips
  • TrevorPhilips

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Look out for the 4-5 giant satellite dishes in Trailer 2.

They can be found:
1)To the right of the highway with the large number of lorries/trucks
2)To the left of the Pisswasser bar
3) In the distance behind the dune buggy

These should make some good reference points for mapping.

NML
  • NML

Snitch

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

What is the dams real life counterpart?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users