Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,506 replies to this topic
jonstunt
  • jonstunt

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

Has anyone identified the location of Michael's house from the air yet? In the first shot of the second trailer it show a large block overlooking his house, I can't tell which one it is.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (jonstunt @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 22:20)
Has anyone identified the location of Michael's house from the air yet? In the first shot of the second trailer it show a large block overlooking his house, I can't tell which one it is.

The best image so far is this one. No aerial view yet, as far as I can tell.

koeklin
  • koeklin

- - - - cut here - - - -

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 23:43)
user posted image

Franklin Plaza Apartments... or not

user posted image

Google maps : http://goo.gl/maps/Bx6as

jonstunt
  • jonstunt

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 22:29)
QUOTE (jonstunt @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 22:20)

The best image so far is this one. No aerial view yet, as far as I can tell.

Thanks...So it look likes he's right next to the golf course, sweet!!!!

lxr
  • lxr

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:23 PM Edited by lxr, 20 November 2012 - 11:56 PM.

QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 10:31)
user posted image
FULL SIZE

I have a question for GTAKiwi:

Are you planning to make updates to your map in the future? I don't think that we're going to find very many new places any time soon, I was just wondering what you think should become of the map.

As far as can I see, there are six shots that could be added, mostly in the north-east:

- Grapeseed
- Dead guy in the water
- Recreation area
- Trevor driving past satellite dishes
- Wind park
- Nighttime air combat near Vinewood Sign

Also, I found four very minor inaccuracies or potential improvements (I tried hard to find more, but I think that's really it wink.gif), mostly at the edges of the region you were mapping:

- You have a bit of coastline east of Los Santos inside your "known" zone, and I don't think we have seen that yet.
- There are a few shots that show at least one prominent peak east of Los Santos.
- Just west of the observatory, there should be one more distinct hill.
- Both the wind park shot and the air combat shot show three distinct mountains at the eastern edge of the known world.

So my question is if you think such changes should be made, eventually -- and if yes, then if you want to take care of it.

I guess updating the map might also be a technical question. But I'm pretty sure one could add a new, transparent layer with changes that would leave the original map intact.

GTAKiwi
  • GTAKiwi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 12:23)

Are you planning to make updates to your map in the future? I don't think that we're going to find  very many new places any time soon, I was just wondering what you think should become of the map.

As far as can I see, there are six shots that could be added, mostly in the north-east:

- Grapeseed
- Dead guy in the water
- Recreation area
- Wind park

Also, I found four very minor inaccuracies or potential improvements (I tried hard to find more, but I  think that's really it wink.gif), mostly at the edges of the region you were mapping:

- You have a bit of coastline east of Los Santos inside your "known" zone, and I don't think we have  seen that yet.
- There are a few shots that show at least one prominent peak east of Los Santos.
- Both the wind park shot and the air combat shot show three distinct mountains at the eastern edge of  the known world.

So my question is if you think such changes should be made, eventually -- and if yes, then if you want  to take care of it.

I guess updating the map might also be a technical question. But I'm pretty sure one could add a new,  transparent layer with changes that would leave the original map intact.

Thanks for all the feedback on my map guys.

@lxr, lol no I'm not secretly working with OUPS, I actually thought the map went like this before he even posted his theory. But when he posted how he thought it went, it backed up what I was thinking.
And because I wasn't a member here at the time, I wasn't able to post my thoughts on how the map went.

I've actually just finished updating my map a bit. I've added some things I forgot to add in my first map.
More roads now, and few extra things in the country side, and also updated the picture viewing angles.

I've already added some of the image view points you said about to the new map, but some of the other ones I'm not sure exactly where they go, so I haven't put them in.

About the errors you found in my map:
-The coast off to the east of Los Santos looks like it went like that in the shot where the jeep drives out the back of the plane. I could be wrong though.
-Haven't really looked to much into the hills on the east side of Los Santos.
-I think I might have added this hill to the west of the observatory in the new map.
-I've looked closely at the wind park shot and the jet shot, and I'm not 100% sure where exactly they fit into the map, so I've left them out for now.

I'm not sure if I'll keep updating this map. I did it just to see what the map would roughly look like with what we've seen so far.

I've most likely made some mistakes with my map, but this should be the basic layout to what we can see in the pictures/trailer.

Here is the updated map:
user posted image
FULL SIZE

user posted image
FULL SIZE

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 16:52)
QUOTE (initium @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 16:26)
QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 14:37)
I merged Fido's map with this one, and made some tweaks (and some dummy roads just for effect):
user posted image

Full size

Looks nearly perfect!

However, Los Santos should be 2x larger (in pixels) than how it is in here...
Can someone make Los Santos bigger?

"2x larger" is a good guess. But maybe it's possible to estimate the scale of both maps (like pixels per meter) more precisely?

One thing I read on this forum, even though I think it won't help yet, is that highway lanes in GTA are 5 meters wide (a bit wider than in real life, to allow for a more reckless driving style).

Also, I see that LotusRIP hopes for the Oxnard/Ventura region, NW of Los Santos, to be in the game -- but that part is pure fiction, so far.

One thing I actually quite liked about the original map was the green/yellow line that separated knowns from unknowns.

So before you put *a lot* of work into this... think about it.

Actually, the only reason I left that huge green patch on the left of the map, it's exactly the same size in land mass to the original version but I had to make the mountain ranges smaller and squish them further off the water because they were swallowing up the beach too much. The views from the trailer, you can't see any obstruction of the horizon so I had to clear it out completely. So in making the mountains smaller, I just patched it up with grass.

Yes, I removed the border of known/unknown areas because I had to scale LS to fit properly, and there were all these funny yellow/green random lines in spots. So it's just a rough representation... not even claiming it as my own, just thought I'd merge fido's city map with the land map.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 02:13)
QUOTE (lxr @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 12:23)

Are you planning to make updates to your map in the future? I don't think that we're going to find  very many new places any time soon, I was just wondering what you think should become of the map.

- Grapeseed
- Dead guy in the water
- Recreation area
- Wind park

Also, I found four very minor inaccuracies or potential improvements (I tried hard to find more, but I  think that's really it wink.gif), mostly at the edges of the region you were mapping:

- You have a bit of coastline east of Los Santos inside your "known" zone, and I don't think we have  seen that yet.
- Both the wind park shot and the air combat shot show three distinct mountains at the eastern edge of  the known world.

So my question is if you think such changes should be made, eventually -- and if yes, then if you want  to take care of it.

I guess updating the map might also be a technical question. But I'm pretty sure one could add a new,  transparent layer with changes that would leave the original map intact.

Thanks for all the feedback on my map guys.

@lxr, lol no I'm not secretly working with OUPS, I actually thought the map went like this before he even posted his theory. But when he posted how he thought it went, it backed up what I was thinking.
And because I wasn't a member here at the time, I wasn't able to post my thoughts on how the map went.

I've actually just finished updating my map a bit. I've added some things I forgot to add in my first map.
More roads now, and few extra things in the country side, and also updated the picture viewing angles.

I've already added some of the image view points you said about to the new map, but some of the other ones I'm not sure exactly where they go, so I haven't put them in.

About the errors you found in my map:
-The coast off to the east of Los Santos looks like it went like that in the shot where the jeep drives out the back of the plane. I could be wrong though.
-Haven't really looked to much into the hills on the east side of Los Santos.
-I think I might have added this hill to the west of the observatory in the new map.
-I've looked closely at the wind park shot and the jet shot, and I'm not 100% sure where exactly they fit into the map, so I've left them out for now.

I'm not sure if I'll keep updating this map. I did it just to see what the map would roughly look like with what we've seen so far.

I've most likely made some mistakes with my map, but this should be the basic layout to what we can see in the pictures/trailer.

Here is the updated map:
user posted image
FULL SIZE

user posted image
FULL SIZE

Hey GTAKiwi,

Nice maps! Excuse me for using your creation for this example, but it seems there is a problem I've tried to outline here:

user posted image

Also note that, with fido's map and scaling, I had to cut the mountains on the left off as they were closing in on the beach too much (and the ocean view is quite "open" as we seen in the trailer) once I lined up fido's map with Vinewood sign + dam locations. So I'm wondering if the perspective is wrong and if the beach should be in line with the coast? It would cut through the mountains though confused.gif

Magic_Al
  • Magic_Al

Boss

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 10:52)
One thing I read on this forum, even though I think it won't help yet, is that highway lanes in GTA are 5 meters wide (a bit wider than in real life, to allow for a more reckless driving style).

Yep, I observed this on the 1-meter-scale 6000x6000 rendering of San Andreas and found it to be true in GTA IV as well. It's probably a GTA standard that makes the math of traffic programming easier, creating sort of a grid to align traffic paths to, and it tends to open up a 2m-wide path down the centerline in slow traffic so the player can squeeze through in a typical 2m-wide car. I'm sure we've all experienced that.

If GTAV continues the 5m lane standard it should help with scaling these highways.
user posted image

GTAKiwi
  • GTAKiwi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:58 AM Edited by GTAKiwi, 21 November 2012 - 06:15 AM.

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 15:58)

Hey GTAKiwi,

Nice maps! Excuse me for using your creation for this example, but it seems there is a problem I've tried to outline here:

user posted image

Also note that, with fido's map and scaling, I had to cut the mountains on the left off as they were closing in on the beach too much (and the ocean view is quite "open" as we seen in the trailer) once I lined up fido's map with Vinewood sign + dam locations. So I'm wondering if the perspective is wrong and if the beach should be in line with the coast? It would cut through the mountains though  confused.gif

Thanks.

My map is a very rough/basic/inaccurate version of how all these pictures piece together to make that map. It was never intended to be accurate. It would be to time consuming and
maybe even impossible to make an accurate map with what we have seen so far.

Also when you merged my map with Fido's, it probably would have been more accurate to line up his map with my Vinewood sign and Observatory, rather than aligning it with the dam.
Because I wasn't actually 100% sure of its exact location. And my mountain range on the east of Los Santos where the dam is, is probably not correct, and not scaled correctly to
the rest of the map. In fact, everything in the map is probably way out of scale with each other, so that would be why it'd be tricky to merge Fido's map with mine and have it
correctly align.

You can clearly see that in my map with the viewpoints and pictures on it, that some of my sight lines are slightly out. And that's due to it being a very rough map of the area.

Hopefully someone else will make a more accurate map of what we have seen so far, or even just another basic map. Be interesting to see how someone else would make a map
from scratch of the area, like I have done.

adrian949
  • adrian949

Thug

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:59 AM

QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 10:31)
Here is a very rough map I've made going by how I think the map layout is, based on the countryside
pictures we have. My layout also happens to be the same as how OUPS and lxr think it goes. So that
looks like its at least three of us that think the map goes like this.

I would have uploaded this map a few days ago, but because I wasn't a member here, I didn't. But I
finally decided to join to post my map.

This map could very well be wrong. But if it is right, then it should give you a rough idea of how the
map fits together with what we have seen so far. The stuff I've drawn outside of the big bright green
and yellow border is just a guess of how the entire map could look. Also this map is not to scale, and
some things might not be placed exactly where they should be.

Great work Kiwi! I think the whole area around the lake is mapped out very well!

Though, telling from the direction of the sun and observation, I think the whole lake/mountain area should be rotated about 90 degrees counterclockwise and shifted to the east.

GTAKiwi
  • GTAKiwi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (adrian949 @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 18:59)

Great work Kiwi! I think the whole area around the lake is mapped out very well!

Though, telling from the direction of the sun and observation, I think the whole lake/mountain area should be rotated about 90 degrees counterclockwise and shifted to the east.

Thanks man.

You are gonna have to show me why you think the lake/mountain area should be rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise. Because I cannot see how that is possible
with the pictures I have based my map on. I know it isn't 100% accurate, but that seems like huge change in the layout of my map, and going by everything
I was looking at in the pictures I used to get the layout for my map, isn't to far off how they should be in relation to Los Santos. But I guess it all depends if my
understanding of the pictures and the hills/mountains in them is correct.

racso562
  • racso562

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:30 AM Edited by racso562, 21 November 2012 - 06:40 AM.

QUOTE (jmb180 @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 20:50)
QUOTE (lxr @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 20:13)
Still trying to get a better view of the cell phone tower. That one wall is good, but the rest isn't. Of course, there may be multiple towers in the game.

QUOTE (jmb180 @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 19:44)
@lxr - Maybe it's Rockstar's take on the "Salton Sea Rocket Ship" (Google search)

Yup, that's actually the same thing as above, off Highway 111.

Yep - my bad. I meant to provide another view of the same thing, not suggest it was a different rocket ship. biggrin.gif

i actually think there is no rocket...its totally made up for the up-n-atom next to it
heres the thing, in n out (which is what its based on) was very popular in the 50s and still has that 50s vibe to it.
everything "atomic" and "space-y" was popular during that time.

heres some 50s styled patterns
user posted image
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
rocket^
user posted image
thats the theme to the restaurant i suppose

gustovski
  • gustovski

MR APC RAMPAGE KING

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:52 AM

are you really sure its not just a silo and not a rocket
user posted image
i merged the iv map and the map posted earlier
user posted image

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

colgate.gif Again, I'm really surprised by the work done here. I'm glad to look at the panoramic shot and see all of those nice landmarks highlighted.

YukiEiri
  • YukiEiri

l33t nekkid skillz...

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (gustovski @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 06:52)
are you really sure its not just a silo and not a rocket

Have you not seen the trailer?
Or am I thinking of a different thing?

Discussion is about the rocket that is on the yard of the Up'n'atom restaurant that is seen when Trevor climbs to the roof of the train.

gustovski
  • gustovski

MR APC RAMPAGE KING

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

uppon further inspection i noticed the tail fins!

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (koeklin @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 23:43)
user posted image
Google maps : http://goo.gl/maps/Bx6as

Hmmm...
I think it's the closest match but they still look very different.

Any ideas about the other buildings I posted ?

Also, the first post has been updated wink.gif

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

Two points to consider in the overall scheme of things.

* The Del Perro Freeway cuts from the east to west.
* The Los Puerta Freeway goes from north to south.
* The Zancudo River passes through the mountains and Grapeseed, a highly agricultural area.

FaintShadow
  • FaintShadow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

So the last three pages basically conforms that Blaine County is R*'s rendition of the Salton Sea area. So do you guys think Pleasure Pier just a nickname for Del Perro Pier or is it gonna be two different piers?

poncratias
  • poncratias

a thread for threads

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

user posted image

sh*t, this could mean that we have allready seen nearly everything of the map....

look at that! in that scale it'S already nearly 5x the size of GTA IV....

sad.gif

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (poncratias @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 11:17)

***im***]

sh*t, this could mean that we have allready seen nearly everything of the map....

sad.gif

We are defintely getting a much more clearer idea of what the map size may well be with every new screen and analysis here. It seems R* claims of 5 x GTAIV or RDR,SA and GTAIV combined are fairly accurate judging by what we have found in this thread and what is represented in this map. I still think we have a lot to see (we are yet to see the underwater environment for one) but my expectations for the overall map size will definetly be met if it somewhat resembles this one. I would be pleasantly suprised if it ends up being larger.

poncratias
  • poncratias

a thread for threads

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

but where are the promised towns & villages?

gustovski
  • gustovski

MR APC RAMPAGE KING

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (poncratias @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 11:17)

user posted image

sad.gif

i scaled it making the city street blocks he same sizein each map
-----gus

lxr
  • lxr

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

Many things to follow up on... but let me start with this one:

QUOTE (GTAKiwi @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 02:13)

First of all: I love the new version of your map.

But I'd like to make the case that we can actually extend our "known" zone by a tiny bit, in the northeast.

Credit goes to OUPS, who messaged me the gamer.nl screenshot below.

I can see three things here. One is that the green arrow looks like a very good match. But the other two things are the two shapes on the right, and to my eyes, these must be two radio telescopes (just their top section -- all the rest, and all the others, are hidden behind a small ledge). In consequence, the trees you see in the gamer.nl screenshot would be the trees you see in the gameinformer screenshot below. The plane, if you want to look at it that way, will make an emergency landing on the airstrip, and the horizontal structures just right of the right arm may or may not be part of the outer fence of the prison.

The exact position of the motorcyclist from the gamer.nl pic on the gameinformer pic remains to be figured out, but I think there is very strong evidence that the three mountains we've seen before in fact do form the eastern boundary of the Alamo Sea. If that is so, then we can even see, for the first time, how the northernmost one (green arrow) is connected to the mountain range north of the sea.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

On an unrelated note, I think I found something :
user posted image

And here's the new map with the Vespucci Canals and Wilshire area included :
user posted image

jfavignano
  • jfavignano

Aviation/Weather Nerd

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Sorry guys, I just don't see R* putting Salton Sea north of LS. If you look up the location of Salton Sea on a real map you will see just how south east it is across from San Diego. That lake North of LS is not Salton Sea.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:26 PM Edited by zombie elvis, 21 November 2012 - 01:37 PM.

OK I'll bite, I think there's a log of good observations but why do you all think the foggy flat blue area is all lake instead of a flat desert?
I think the lake will be in the top right near the mountain but it's not going to be the size of Los Santos city like most of the maps are depicting it. In a lot of pictures you can see the buildings and mountains rise out of the mist , they've clearly using a ground fog technique which adds fog based on height as well as distance, as so any low down areas are going to blend towards a single fog color, which happens to be blue here.

user posted image

Also I think the up-n-atom's rocket design could be inspired by this near Edwards Air Force base.

user posted image
http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (FaintShadow @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 21:30)
So the last three pages basically conforms that Blaine County is R*'s rendition of the Salton Sea area. So do you guys think Pleasure Pier just a nickname for Del Perro Pier or is it gonna be two different piers?

Blaine County is the broader country area, not just Alamo Sea.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

@fido

I think you need to start expanding your map regions and flesh out the desert/countryside area, I'm curious to see how it all comes together. I don't think the city will change much in shape from now on.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users