Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,143 replies to this topic
faizanali
  • faizanali

Proud PC Gamer

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (Barcasam7 @ Sunday, Nov 18 2012, 20:37)
This edited shot also declares that it is in fact an landing strip for planes:
user posted image

icon14.gif Nice

Pillemannscharo
  • Pillemannscharo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

@livilaNic: Even if it was the same jeep, what makes you think, there is a connection to the plane-scene biggrin.gif you have no Idea of the story but you connect two totally different events directly to each other.

livilaNic
  • livilaNic

Got Milf?

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (Pillemannscharo @ Sunday, Nov 18 2012, 16:54)
@livilaNic: Even if it was the same jeep, what makes you think, there is a connection to the plane-scene biggrin.gif you have no Idea of the story but you connect two totally different events directly to each other.

I didn't say that it did in fact happen. For all I know the Jeep could have a chute too, lol. So that when he lands he drives over to the wind farm. Or that the screens/scenes have no relation whatsoever to each other. Who knows...Doesn't really matter. I was just thinking out loud. As you can see, I shouldn't do that too often. tounge.gif

Pillemannscharo
  • Pillemannscharo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (livilaNic @ Sunday, Nov 18 2012, 23:18)
QUOTE (Pillemannscharo @ Sunday, Nov 18 2012, 16:54)

I didn't say that it did in fact happen. For all I know the Jeep could have a chute too, lol. So that when he lands he drives over to the wind farm. Or that the screens/scenes have no relation whatsoever to each other. Who knows...Doesn't really matter. I was just thinking out loud. As you can see, I shouldn't do that too often. tounge.gif

biggrin.gif If these two scenes are in fact directly related to another in the final game, I'll fly to the USA and buy you a beer biggrin.gif

livilaNic
  • livilaNic

Got Milf?

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:59 PM Edited by livilaNic, 19 November 2012 - 12:02 AM.

HA!

Yeah, looking at the Jeep again by the wind farm. It actually looks more like the Unnamed Pickup in the vehicle thread. Doesn't really resemble the Jeep in the cargo plane.

TillSMC
  • TillSMC

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

Hello!

I know that your map is not scaled and all, but when i looked at the map and the size of the airport i was wondering how big that map would be in the right scale...

So i thought about what Rockstar said about the map size... They said it's 5times bigger than Liberty City in GTA IV...

Next i was wondering if they mean Liberty City WITH all the water surrounding or without... I think they only mean 5times bigger than the actual "landmass" in IV.... So i took the GTA IV map and cut it into little peaces and put all the little peaces together to get ONE big Piece... Now i kinda got the idea of how big the map will be compared to IV's Landmass... (pretty impressive)

Then i took your map and scaled it (looking at the length of the airport runway) to the GTA IV map and put it over the "5times IV map" so you can see, how much bigger it will be....

I just got back from a party, and don't even know if anything of that makes sense, but i just wanted to try biggrin.gif Sorry if this is stupid inlove.gif

Oh, and sorry for the bad english cryani.gif

user posted image

Cjc45
  • Cjc45

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

QUOTE (TillSMC @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 00:23)
Hello!

I know that your map is not scaled and all, but when i looked at the map and the size of the airport i was wondering how big that map would be in the right scale...

So i thought about what Rockstar said about the map size... They said it's 5times bigger than Liberty City in GTA IV...

Next i was wondering if they mean Liberty City WITH all the water surrounding or without... I think they only mean 5times bigger than the actual "landmass" in IV.... So i took the GTA IV map and cut it into little peaces and put all the little peaces together to get ONE big Piece... Now i kinda got the idea of how big the map will be compared to IV's Landmass... (pretty impressive)

Then i took your map and scaled it (looking at the length of the airport runway) to the GTA IV map and put it over the "5times IV map" so you can see, how much bigger it will be....

I just got back from a party, and don't even know if anything of that makes sense, but i just wanted to try biggrin.gif Sorry if this is stupid inlove.gif

Oh, and sorry for the bad english cryani.gif

user posted image

Every time theyve mentioned size, they counted the interiors of structres too, not just the exterior map.

TillSMC
  • TillSMC

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

but in San Andreas I remember that the interiors where very high in the SKY... So when you walked into the yellow pylon you got teleported into the sky into the interior...

BUT in IV it wasn't like that... You just opened the door and the interior was really inside the building...

So what do they mean when they say they count the interior...

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

user posted image

Look at the above pic from trailer, do you think we are looking North? (RockStar North? tounge.gif )

On the right there is a triangular mountain and also a mountain range next to it, could this be the same triangular mountain we see in the mountain/alamo sea screenshot?

Then look at left of above pic, there is a large mountain in distance, seems further away than the mountains on the right. Could this be Chiliad?

If we are looking North in the windfarm pic, then look at next pic to see whereabouts the 3 mountains would end up

user posted image

The triangular mountain would be around bottom centre of this pic, the mountain range would be bottom left of the pic and Chiliad would be bottom right

Thoughts?

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE (Cjc45 @ Sunday, Nov 18 2012, 19:36)
Hello!

Oh, and sorry for the bad english  cryani.gif

user posted image

Every time theyve mentioned size, they counted the interiors of structres too, not just the exterior map.

I still think it's safe to assume that IV is tiny enough compared to V to where we can say it's at least 5 times as large.

*The RDR+SA+IV comment in GI was just referring to the Los Santos world too. We technically have no reliable guide other than words like "massive" for determining the actual size though. monocle.gif

jfavignano
  • jfavignano

Aviation/Weather Nerd

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

Okay I did some revisions to what some people have on track here. I am not saying I am right just showing an alternate opinion.

user posted image

As you can see I put that building in Blue and the surf shop in Red. I believe that R* modeled that area after the place I circled in red, it makes sense because it is closer to the actual sidewalk and beach. Am I clear enough or do I need some splainin' to do? lol.gif

Boss7dm
  • Boss7dm

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE (jfavignano @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 01:00)
Okay I did some revisions to what some people have on track here. I am not saying I am right just showing an alternate opinion.

user posted image

As you can see I put that building in Blue and the surf shop in Red. I believe that R* modeled that area after the place I circled in red, it makes sense because it is closer to the actual sidewalk and beach. Am I clear enough or do I need some splainin' to do? lol.gif

the 1st looks different than the 2nd

jfavignano
  • jfavignano

Aviation/Weather Nerd

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE (Boss7dm @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 01:07)

I took the image from some pages back because I was lazy, the black X's show what I disagree with and the new red and blue are mine.

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

user posted image

Looking at this pic, do you think the large runway is part of Edwards Air Force Base and the prison is Lancaster prison?

In real life they are fairly close together

Also where does the long freeway go to?

Maybe it goes to a town version of San Diego?

Because if the Alamo Sea is off screen bottom centre, then San Diego town could be off screen bottom left at the end of the long freeway

The freeway must go somewhere otherwise it is pointless having a long freeway right?

It seems most of the map is North of Los Santos

Makes me think we are going to have a rectangular shaped map rather than a square shaped map like SA

Maybe ~4 miles east to west and ~8 miles north to south?

Boss7dm
  • Boss7dm

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE (jfavignano @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 01:11)

I took the image from some pages back because I was lazy, the black X's show what I disagree with and the new red and blue are mine.

i'm talking about the 2 screens of the game. The 1st looks 10x better

jfavignano
  • jfavignano

Aviation/Weather Nerd

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

QUOTE (Boss7dm @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 01:16)
QUOTE (jfavignano @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 01:11)

i'm talking about the 2 screens of the game. The 1st looks 10x better

Ah gotcha haha, yeah I know I believe that was a later build.

jfavignano
  • jfavignano

Aviation/Weather Nerd

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 01:13)
user posted image

Looking at this pic, do you think the large runway is part of Edwards Air Force Base and the prison is Lancaster prison?

Because if the Alamo Sea is off screen bottom centre, then San Diego town could be off screen bottom left at the end of the long freeway

The freeway must go somewhere otherwise it is pointless having a long freeway right?

Makes me think we are going to have a rectangular shaped map rather than a square shaped map like SA

I too believed it could be Edwards AFB but that would be a small representation. I think R* may have it in GTA V as the Military Base but the location here is way off of EDW. What we are seeing here is a strip that is on the west side of Hwy 5 and North of LA. IRL Edwards is on the East side of 5 and northeast of LA. This strip is in the Burbank area here, however compressed they did it. Still too early to guess.

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

user posted image

Also on that same picture I think the road that heads west (going off screen to the right) leads to the farmland area including Grapeseed.

In the trailer where we see Trevor torch John Marston's house tounge.gif we can a big mountain, I think it is Chiliad.

I think the house he burns is near Grapeseed

Also the other part of trailer where we see a restricted sign, I think Trevor is near Edwards Air Force Base

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 01:30)

Also on that same picture I think the road that heads west (going off screen to the right) leads to the farmland area including Grapeseed.

In the trailer where we see Trevor torch John Marston's house tounge.gif we can a big mountain, I think it is Chiliad.

Also the other part of trailer where we see a restricted sign, I think Trevor is near Edwards Air Force Base

Folks, that's not how it works!

You can't just say "There's a highway, I think it goes to San Diego" or "There's a house, I think it's near Grapeseed".

It's about what we can *know*, by looking at stuff.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:47 AM Edited by lxr, 19 November 2012 - 01:55 AM.

I think they only mean 5times bigger than the actual "landmass" in IV.... So i took the GTA IV map and cut it into little peaces and put all the little peaces together to get ONE big Piece... Now i kinda got the idea of how big the map will be compared to IV's Landmass... (pretty impressive)

user posted image

Um. I'd say it makes very close no sense at all, but it's definitely pretty, and I don't think it has been done before.

I like this one even better (but must have been a lot more work).

PostMeridian
  • PostMeridian

Seo a Aistriú

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:48 AM

San Diego is south of LA. If it were in the game, this freeway is going the wrong direction to bring you there!

Anyway, as lxr says, this thread is about mapping the area using solid information, not a mixture of speculation and desire.

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE (PostMeridian @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 01:48)

San Diego is south of LA. If it were in the game, this freeway is going the wrong direction to bring you there!

Anyway, as lxr says, this thread is about mapping the area using solid information, not a mixture of speculation and desire.

Why did you and the other guy just reply to one part of my post and ignore the rest and also ignore my previous post which was talking about the distant mountains we see in the windfarm screenshot from trailer 1?

GetBentSaggy
  • GetBentSaggy

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

That's because R* aren't putting in the entire market, only 1 aisle/path of it. They've merged them, I think.

http://i.imgur.com/SDvMj.jpg

OUPS
  • OUPS

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:05 AM

Hello

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:12 AM Edited by lxr, 19 November 2012 - 02:14 AM.

QUOTE (PostMeridian @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 01:48)

Just for the record: I'm all for speculation. It's just that it's hard to argue with "I think XYZ". If I think behind the dam is Denver, Colorado, then what can you do about it? Not much I guess.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:25 AM

This is from the trailer? Uh!

QUOTE (OUPS @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 02:05)
user posted image

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 01:39)
QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 01:30)

Folks, that's not how it works!

You can't just say "There's a highway, I think it goes to San Diego" or "There's a house, I think it's near Grapeseed".

It's about what we can *know*, by looking at stuff.

When Trevor burns the house it looks like he is in farmland country and I am wondering where Grapeseed is on the map, so I suggested maybe he is near Grapseed and Grapeseed might be located to the west.

Is it really that bad to suggest and ask that question?

As for the freeway I was just wondering where it goes and suggested maybe it goes to a town and thought maybe San Diego?

Reason I thought San Diego is because we saw interstate 5 in trailer and also if Alamo Sea is North of Los Santos then Maybe San Diego is North East of Los Santos, because the whole map is re-imagined by RockStar

I also asked what direction we looking in windfarm pic and ask about mountains but you ignore that post and single out me talking about freeways and farms

There are plenty of people who have speculated and asked questions, maybe by asking questions it might give people ideas and they find something that can be proved

OUPS
  • OUPS

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

Yes ! #2 biggrin.gif

Je vais faire une rectification car je me suis trompé un petit peu pour les montagnes en rouge et orange. bonne nuit à tous.

I'll make a correction because I cheated a little to the mountains in red and orange. good night to all. <---- Translated by Google.

Boss7dm
  • Boss7dm

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:44 AM

QUOTE (GetBentSaggy @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 01:57)

That's because R* aren't putting in the entire market, only 1 aisle/path of it. They've merged them, I think.

http://i.imgur.com/SDvMj.jpg

No. Everything looks bigger and better

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:53 AM Edited by lxr, 19 November 2012 - 03:11 AM.

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 02:29)
When Trevor burns the house it looks like he is in farmland country and I am wondering where Grapeseed is on the map, so I suggested maybe he is near Grapseed and Grapeseed might be located to the west.

Is it really that bad to suggest and ask that question?

As for the freeway I was just wondering where it goes and suggested maybe it goes to a town and thought maybe San Diego?

Reason I thought San Diego is because we saw interstate 5 in trailer and also if Alamo Sea is North of Los Santos then Maybe San Diego is North East of Los Santos, because the whole map is re-imagined by RockStar

I also asked what direction we looking in windfarm pic and ask about mountains but you ignore that post and single out me talking about freeways and farms

There are plenty of people who have speculated and asked questions, maybe by asking questions it might give people ideas and they find something that can be proved

No, it's not definitely not bad to suggest and ask questions.

I was just about to reply to your wind farm idea, along the lines of: I have no idea how many wind farms there are in the game, all these mountains look the same, and the same mountains look different all the time, perspectives and distances are very deceptive -- but who knows, could be you've just demonstrated the power of speculation wink.gif

Slightly larger image (not that one would see much more):

user posted image

Hard to make out any overlap at all:

user posted image

And, as a reminder:

user posted image

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users