Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,185 replies to this topic
WestNL
  • WestNL

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

DONE! This is the actual location of Michael. Right. In a vinewood home. user posted image

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (DaWiesel @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 23:06)
The screens are coming soon too, right?

I haven't started yet biggrin.gif
I'm trying to find more buildings in the Downtown area right now and I think I found one...

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:28 PM Edited by lxr, 17 November 2012 - 10:31 PM.

QUOTE (WestNL @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 22:17)
DONE! This is the actual location of Michael. Right. In a vinewood home.

In order to locate camera positions that show downtown in the background, the easiest approach seems to be (at least to me) to check how the downtown skyscrapers are ordered, obscure each other, etc. That way, it becomes obvious Michael is south-west of downtown, not in the north.

OUPS
  • OUPS

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hello

Super taff Fido et en avance en plus icon14.gif

That view images already and probably good "translated by google"
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Now the images that we try to bound. But probably false "translated by google"
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Sorry speak only french So I can not argue. ph34r.gif

MetalGrand
  • MetalGrand

Hail To The King

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:50 PM Edited by MetalGrand, 17 November 2012 - 10:58 PM.

My apologies if this has been discovered already, I just haven't seen it.

EDIT: Looks like post above me explains it nicely.

I feel like this mountain is in the two following screens but taken on opposite sides and perspectives:

user posted image

user posted image

Perspectives:

user posted image

OUPS
  • OUPS

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (MetalGrand @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 22:50)

I feel like this mountain is in the two following screens but taken on opposite sides and perspectives:

user posted image

user posted image

Perspectives:

user posted image

Sorry your 2nd image is hollywood. So behind los santos.
So your 1st and 3rd images not anything even with the 2nd.

"Translated by google"

faizanali
  • faizanali

Proud PC Gamer

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

How big is Alamo Sea compared to Zancudo River? I really don't know much about LA.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE (faizanali @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 23:01)
How big is Alamo Sea compared to Zancudo River? I really don't know much about LA.

Both are entirely fictional, so... hard to tell.

flyboy7
  • flyboy7

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

DONE! This is the actual location of Michael. Right. In a vinewood home. user posted image

No! No! No! Look closely, that's not the same building. He looking at this group of buildings from a different angle, not from vinewood hills. He's actually facing towards the general direction of the hills.

user posted image

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:18 PM Edited by lxr, 17 November 2012 - 11:38 PM.

QUOTE (OUPS @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 22:40)
Sorry speak only french So I can not argue.

Est-ce qu'on peut marquer le sommet rouge dans ton premier image aussi?

EDIT: Ou plutôt, est-ce qu'on voit VINEWOOD dans #3? Si l'orientation de #1 est nord, c'est quoi dans #3?

flyboy7
  • flyboy7

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 21:24)
Ok so here it is, the latest version of the map.
I'm quite pleased with it and I think it's greatly improved compared to the older version.
It's kind of obvious since we know more and more about the map.
However, there are still a few things missing (the bus/train shot with the Forum in the background for instance...)
And before anyone starts yelling at me : no, I didn't put the Alamo Sea area nor the canyon with the red plane and train bridge.
I've read carefully what all of you said in this thread but there are no still no link between these areas and the city itself.
I know the canyon with the river is linked with the salton Sea and I could try to draw them together but I wouldn't know where to put them. And I don't want to start all over again when we get more intel on these locations so I guess y'all have to wait wink.gif

As always, click for the huge full size :
user posted image

We still don't have a 360 view of the entire island, which I really think it is. I want to see what's on the far end. I hope we will have a safehouse somewhere there.

Maximus Prime
  • Maximus Prime

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (OUPS @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 22:59)
QUOTE (MetalGrand @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 22:50)

user posted image

user posted image

Perspectives:

user posted image

Sorry your 2nd image is hollywood. So behind los santos.
So your 1st and 3rd images not anything even with the 2nd.

"Translated by google"

Actually, the second picture looks very much like Palm Springs, CA. Pretty far away from Hollywood. I've lived in Southern California my whole life and I can tell you there are no highways or windmills like that close to Hollywood.

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

I keep looking at the trailer in slow motion, the part where Trevor jump out of plane.

It doesn't make sense at all because just below the area where we all say is the city, it looks like there is large body of water and also it looks like there is a coastline.

Also if you follow the freeway up towards the top, you can see it just above the truck after he jump out, it looks as though the freeway is crossing a body of water too.

The landscape between vinewood sign and the radio telescopes does not look the same as that seen in the vinewood helicopter screenshot

Also at bottom left of the trailer screenshot it looks like the freeway is running along the coast, there seems to be water to the left, then a small peninsula, then little water again, then another peninsula

Finally what is at the very bottom right of the trailer screenshot, looks like water in between a weirdly shaped desert/mountain area?

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:03 AM Edited by lxr, 18 November 2012 - 12:08 AM.

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 23:48)
I keep looking at the trailer in slow motion, the part where Trevor jump out of plane.

It doesn't make sense at all because just below the area where we all say is the city, it looks like there is large body of water and also it looks like there is a coastline.

Also if you follow the freeway up towards the top, you can see it just above the truck after he jump out, it looks as though the freeway is crossing a body of water too.

The landscape between vinewood sign and the radio telescopes does not look the same as that seen in the vinewood helicopter screenshot

Also at bottom left of the trailer screenshot it looks like the freeway is running along the coast, there seems to be water to the left, then a small peninsula, then little water again, then another peninsula

Finally what is at the very bottom right of the trailer screenshot, looks like water in between a weirdly shaped desert/mountain area?

Ok, I'll try again:

In the aerial (plane jump) view, huge areas are blurry and/or obscured by clouds. Also, the perspective and field of vision are very skewed. So I would be hesitatant to claim anything based on that image as such.

But alone the fact that we have seen the prison + radar array before, from the opposite direction, and from a very well-established postion, makes me 100% confident that the city is up there, below the clouds.

WestNL
  • WestNL

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE (flyboy7 @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 23:09)
DONE! This is the actual location of Michael. Right. In a vinewood home. <schnipschnip, took the pictures out>

No! No! No! Look closely, that's not the same building. He looking at this group of buildings from a different angle, not from vinewood hills. He's actually facing towards the general direction of the hills.

user posted image

No! No! No! Look more closely. Where do you see the 2 buildings in a near 90 degree corner? I don't. Only thing i see there is a highway, but that's not seen in the original trailer 1 screenshot. And look at the mile high club, it's to the right of him, which exactly matches my location.

malmoutte
  • malmoutte

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

Ok i study the lake and i maybe find this, i'm not so sure right know.

But one thing, if this is true, i don't believe we see mt chiliad here (1,2 and 3) because :

_it look so gigantic in the trailer 1, and here it's just moutain
_if the lake is salton sea, and if it goes with reality, Chiliad and Salton sea would be far (it will go with 2 kind of moutains and vegetation's theorie)

Anyway, very good job everyone, the fido map say it all.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:01 AM Edited by lxr, 18 November 2012 - 01:07 AM.

QUOTE (malmoutte @ Sunday, Nov 18 2012, 00:49)
Ok i study the lake and i maybe find this, i'm not so sure right know.

"3" in the second image is "2" in the last image, but otherwise, I'd say that's pretty much how it is. IIRC, someone made a similar collage quite a few pages back.

adrian949
  • adrian949

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

I'm quite pleased with it and I think it's greatly improved compared to the older version.
However, there are still a few things missing (the bus/train shot with the Forum in the background for instance...)
And before anyone starts yelling at me : no, I didn't put the Alamo Sea area nor the canyon with the red plane and train bridge.
I've read carefully what all of you said in this thread but there are no still no link between these areas and the city itself.
I know the canyon with the river is linked with the salton Sea and I could try to draw them together but I wouldn't know where to put them. And I don't want to start all over again when we get more intel on these locations so I guess y'all have to wait wink.gif

Great looking map and accurate! icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif

I don't know if any other socal natives feel this way about R*s map, but the huge divergence from real life geography makes me cringe quite a bit haha.

Definitely "reimagined" for whatever's best for gameplay tounge2.gif

doubled
  • doubled

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

user posted image

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

QUOTE (adrian949 @ Sunday, Nov 18 2012, 01:41)

Great looking map and accurate! icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif

I don't know if any other socal natives feel this way about R*s map, but the huge divergence from real life geography makes me cringe quite a bit haha.

Definitely "reimagined" for whatever's best for gameplay tounge2.gif

Not sure why people are surprised by this... when they first announced Los Santos and showed us Trailer 1, I immediately thought it looked like a slightly bigger version of 2004 Los Santos and similar in terms of the condensed layout. But people kept posting saying "omg it's gonna be huge cause LA is like a bazillion miles big it's such a huge city!". I always posted saying they're probably hyping it up and it'll be like a 2.5x bigger Los Santos from III era.... which it looks to be!

I personally think it's great. It looks big enough. It doesn't need to be any bigger, it would be wasted space when it's just more of the same thing... They're making sure it's big enough but includes all the icons of the city, and their focus is strongly on the geographical diversity of the region... countryside and desert etc. It looks epic!!!

OUPS
  • OUPS

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:13 AM Edited by OUPS, 18 November 2012 - 02:17 AM.

QUOTE (lxr @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 23:18)
QUOTE (OUPS @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 22:40)
Sorry speak only french So I can not argue.

Est-ce qu'on peut marquer le sommet rouge dans ton premier image aussi?

EDIT: Ou plutôt, est-ce qu'on voit VINEWOOD dans #3? Si l'orientation de #1 est nord, c'est quoi dans #3?

Dans ma 1er image l'orientation est très légèrement Nord-Ouest et il y a aucune montagnes à mettre en rouges.
Dans ma 3ème image l'orientation est Sud-Est, on ne peut pas voir vinewood.

(In my first picture orientation is slightly Northwest and there's no mountains to red.
3rd picture in my direction is South East can not see Vinewood.) <---- Translation by google

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 20:01)

Not sure why people are surprised by this... when they first announced Los Santos and showed us Trailer 1, I immediately thought it looked like a slightly bigger version of 2004 Los Santos and similar in terms of the condensed layout. But people kept posting saying "omg it's gonna be huge cause LA is like a bazillion miles big it's such a huge city!". I always posted saying they're probably hyping it up and it'll be like a 2.5x bigger Los Santos from III era.... which it looks to be!

I personally think it's great. It looks big enough. It doesn't need to be any bigger, it would be wasted space when it's just more of the same thing... They're making sure it's big enough but includes all the icons of the city, and their focus is strongly on the geographical diversity of the region... countryside and desert etc. It looks epic!!!

You know, you have changed my view. This whole time I've been wondering so much about how big it really is but you're right! It doesn't need to be more of the same thing.

flyboy7
  • flyboy7

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (WestNL @ Sunday, Nov 18 2012, 00:46)
QUOTE (flyboy7 @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 23:09)
DONE! This is the actual location of Michael. Right. In a vinewood home. <schnipschnip, took the pictures out>

user posted image

No! No! No! Look more closely. Where do you see the 2 buildings in a near 90 degree corner? I don't. Only thing i see there is a highway, but that's not seen in the original trailer 1 screenshot. And look at the mile high club, it's to the right of him, which exactly matches my location.

No look at the building in violet line, its in the backround in trailer shot while in the screenshot its in foreground. Also the hsbc looks taller in trailer shot

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 15:24)

-snip-

Really awesome looking map. cookie.gif

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:04 AM

Has that stadium that is visible by the vinewood sign been confirmed as anything yet? Because it could possibly be dodger stadium.

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE (gtamann123 @ Sunday, Nov 18 2012, 04:04)
Has that stadium that is visible by the vinewood sign been confirmed as anything yet? Because it could possibly be dodger stadium.

Screenshot? I'd love to see Dodger Stadium.

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

Could It be

user posted image

State Route 23 is a state highway in the U.S. state of California. The route runs roughly from Fillmore to Malibu. This route is part of the California Freeway and Expressway System.

I think Ventura County, California will be in game also

http://en.wikipedia...._State_Route_23

GTAgamersquirrel
  • GTAgamersquirrel

#TeamTrevor

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

^^^

It looks to be,

In the background you can see the LS fourm.

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

I wonder if W.Ellipse Blvd is based on Westlake Boulevard, Thousand Oaks, CA area

FCM
  • FCM

Toreno

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

I thought this map was looking small from the first trailer, now it is almost confirmed to be even smaller than I thought. Huge upset.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users