Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,189 replies to this topic
MT90
  • MT90

Trick

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:20 AM

QUOTE (artificialguy @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 00:57)
^^^^^^ Couldn't see screens, but I think I know what you meant. And it's the same thing that is bothering me. However, I think we have to wait for more screens or videos to find out what it exactly is. From one view we can see some sort of power lines, probably for trains, but from another perspective we no loger can see them.

As for Los Santos, the more screens I see, the more I think the city will not be huge at all. Look at photos of real LA, how dense skyscrapers are build in Downtown and how far is to Hollywood sign.

user posted image

user posted image

It is a video game dude, they can't reproduct the city exactly like IRL... Look at Liberty City and compare it with NYC... If R* wanted to make a pure copy of the cities in their games, the map of GTA IV would be the bigger map of all time.

dewan2000
  • dewan2000

Hustler

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:21 AM

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 01:02)
QUOTE (artificialguy @ Sunday, Nov 11 2012, 18:57)
^^^^^^ Couldn't see screens, but I think I know what you meant. And it's the same thing that is bothering me. However, I think we have to wait for more screens or videos to find out what it exactly is. From one view we can see some sort of power lines, probably for trains, but from another perspective we no loger can see them.

As for Los Santos, the more screens I see, the more I think the city will not be huge at all. Look at photos of real LA, how dense skyscrapers are build in Downtown and how far is to Hollywood sign.

user posted image

user posted image

I can sort of agree, but they obviously tried to make it look dense. Just look at the repelling shot and the shooting from a helicopter shot. Between the avenues are lots of houses and shops. It looks aweome. This city might not be bigger than Liberty City, but it damn sure looks more exciting and nicer to look at.

The size of Los Santos alone doesn't bother me though. We've got suburbs that lead up to the city, and behind the Vinewood Hill, it looks like the managed to include towns such as Burbank and/or Simi Valley.
I literally cannot wait to explore this map, the wealthy suburbs, the sports car filled avenues, it all looks awesome and better than Liberty City by a long shot.

You guys are forgetting that Downtown LA is just a small portion of the overall city. We still really do not know what is south/South east of Los Santos, and really do not know really how far it stretches North West. Still many areas that we have no clue about.

MT90
  • MT90

Trick

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (SergioBel @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 01:58)
One complements the other screenshot

[IMG ]http://i078.radikal.ru/1211/08/85561ffa365d.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG ]http://s019.radikal.ru/i606/1211/d3/b941205a2d87.jpg[/IMG]

user posted image

Yes, and like fido did, you can put them together to make a quick look at what the vinewook hills will be. Like this.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

QUOTE ([enforcA] @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 02:06)
user posted image

Hey! That's it, no?

user posted image

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:48 AM Edited by lxr, 12 November 2012 - 02:55 AM.

QUOTE (enforcA @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 02:06)
remember the balcony guy scene from trailer 1?

just wanted to add this picture (92 frames used, motion tracked, picture quality enhanced with own photoshop script), even if it's not that important anymore:

user posted image

The building in the balcony scene is on the other side of downtown:

user posted image

Actually, I think you can see it in this shot too, right below the airship:

user posted image

snollygoster747
  • snollygoster747

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

QUOTE (lakingsfan @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 16:54)
QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 08:24)
I absolutely don't get this pic :

user posted image

Looks like the sun is setting so we're looking west.
But it seems to be the same direction as the following screen BUT on this one we're looking south-east.

user posted image

So I don't get it  notify.gif

I think the first pic is really looking west and so we have the Venice/Harbor area all wrong...

LAX tower perhaps?

http://imgur.com/PlUii

Kind of far from the LAX restaurant (theme building), but who knows?

http://fr.wikipedia....hier:LAX_LA.jpg

For entertainment:

Are we gonna see the LAX letters and the lights?

http://www.google.ca...Q9QEwAw&dur=641

http://www.google.ca...CQQ9QEwAQ&dur=0

http://fr.wikipedia....er:Lax_sign.jpg

here is a mock up I made months ago

user posted image

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Lots of new screenshots, some very helpful:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

GTADKNUT
  • GTADKNUT

Stowaway

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 11:21)
Lots of new screenshots, some very helpful:

AWESOME!!!!!

poncratias
  • poncratias

a thread for threads

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

waiting for this thread to explode

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:02 PM Edited by lxr, 12 November 2012 - 12:50 PM.

Some of the more obvious findings:

Whoever had spotted the tunnel entrance: good job, here it is. Also note that there is another bridge, on the horizon, below the parachute.

user posted image

There are two California Plaza Towers, and in fact they have the same facade. In the first mission, Michael is descending the opposite side of #1, but in other shots, we may see the base of #2. On fido_le_muet's map, it's probably safe to move the Mellon Bank Center directly to the west of #2. Apart from that, quite a few more known buildings are visible, like 6767 Sunset Boulevard in the top right corner.

user posted image

For the first time, we can see the Vinewood Sign, the Hollywood Bowl and the Griffith Observatory in the same shot. They are on an almost straight line.

user posted image

RiccardoPatrese
  • RiccardoPatrese

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 11:21)
user posted image

The Salton Sea, I guess?

This could be part of the desert area where Trevor lives, the Salton Sea area is where lots of Hippies gather (Slab City), there are trailers and a abandoned village.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

Also, this shot shows Sierra Tower and Luckman Plaza:

user posted image

snaredrum
  • snaredrum

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

so is it safe to suggest that the map will be bordered on the east side by the Salton Sea region, as well as or instead of impassable mountains?

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

This thread is going to be BUSY this week.

snaredrum
  • snaredrum

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

i know, i'm sorry. if it helps (which it doesn't) i'm a long-time lurker. the Salton Sea thing really excited me though... biggrin.gif

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (snaredrum @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 12:48)
the Salton Sea thing really excited me though... biggrin.gif

FWIW, the red line runs from east to west, roughly. Guess late afternoon is more likely than morning, but who knows...

user posted image

GTADKNUT
  • GTADKNUT

Stowaway

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:05 PM Edited by GTADKNUT, 12 November 2012 - 01:08 PM.

In this screen the mountain bordered red is the same mountain as in the trailer still of the 2 hookers and the liquor store.

user posted image

Sorry can't find the still to compare, so if anyone can, please do smile.gif

Edit: Is there any place where all the screens and stills are available? Id love if they were all available in one place..

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (snaredrum @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 12:27)
so is it safe to suggest that the map will be bordered on the east side by the Salton Sea region, as well as or instead of impassable mountains?

It's really hard to speculate on the edges of the map. The only thing that's really unlikely, IMO, is an island map: We've seen so much realism that it's hard to imagine Rockstar has created miles and miles of fake eastern coastline. Also, it would be extremely boring to go around it.

If you ask me, I'd expect a combination of impassable mountains (steep enough for me), and maybe some fenced-off military areas.

Six Paths of Pain
  • Six Paths of Pain

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 13:18)

It's really hard to speculate on the edges of the map. The only thing that's really unlikely, IMO, is an island map: We've seen so much realism that it's hard to imagine Rockstar has created miles and miles of fake eastern coastline. Also, it would be extremely boring to go around it.

If you ask me, I'd expect a combination of impassable mountains (steep enough for me), and maybe some fenced-off military areas.

The only problem is the fighter jets.... they wan't to make the game realistc, so having a jet fighter no being able to fly over a mountain doesn't seem to fit their script. I for one think they will go the island route or at worst/best make it an endless dessert/mountain range

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (GTADKNUT @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 13:05)
In this screen the mountain bordered red is the same mountain as in the trailer still of the 2 hookers and the liquor store.

Sorry can't find the still to compare, so if anyone can, please do smile.gif

Trailer, frame #1716:

user posted image

I'd be somewhat cautious when comparing mountain tops though, as they may look very different from different perspectives. Relative positions of different mountains would be the thing to look for, IMO.

QUOTE (GTADKNUT @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 13:05)
Edit: Is there any place where all the screens and stills are available? Id love if they were all available in one place..

I think this is the best collection for now. But I agree, one big repository with everything would be super useful.

RiccardoPatrese
  • RiccardoPatrese

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

i know, i'm sorry. if it helps (which it doesn't) i'm a long-time lurker. the Salton Sea thing really excited me though... biggrin.gif

I like that to, The Salton Sea, Salton City and maybe even Slab City (from Into the Wild).

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (Six Paths of Pain @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 13:23)

The only problem is the fighter jets.... they wan't to make the game realistc, so having a jet fighter no being able to fly over a mountain doesn't seem to fit their script. I for one think they will go the island route or at worst/best make it an endless dessert/mountain range

You're right, I completely forgot about that.

I don't remember exactly what happens in IV, but I guess you just bump against an invisible wall, and they draw more ocean in all directions. With the dramatically increased drawing distance in V, the edge of the map is a hard problem... think of flying a jet along one of the edges. No idea how they'll do it.

Jimmarn
  • Jimmarn

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 13:33)
QUOTE (Six Paths of Pain @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 13:23)

You're right, I completely forgot about that.

I don't remember exactly what happens in IV, but I guess you just bump against an invisible wall, and they draw more ocean in all directions. With the dramatically increased drawing distance in V, the edge of the map is a hard problem... think of flying a jet along one of the edges. No idea how they'll do it.

In IV you just suddenly go back to the island if you try going far far away, go one direction, suddenly you start seeing the island again

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Uh! "Salton Sea Liquor Store", Google Image Search, first result:

user posted image

snaredrum
  • snaredrum

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

well THAT looks familiar... and the mountain's location would suggest the liquor store should be somewhere past trevor on the shore in the new pic...

EDIT - or am i looking at the mountain wrong?

Bastidr
  • Bastidr

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 13:40)
Uh! "Salton Sea Liquor Store", Google Image Search, first result:

user posted image

3 years after the trailer and you come up with this. Great work!

VincentPericant
  • VincentPericant

Peon

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:59 PM Edited by VincentPericant, 12 November 2012 - 02:06 PM.

Good job on the liquor store!!

Someone mentioned the name of the town in the shot of Trevor in his denim jacket in another thread earlier today. Can't find this thread now as there were so many.

Anyone else know?

Edit - Oh no, they just said it look like Angel Pine from SA. Any one know what this town replicated?

poncratias
  • poncratias

a thread for threads

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

WOW!!! FANTASTIC FIND!!!!!

just for comparisation sakes:

http://i.imgur.com/gi1w5.jpg
http://24.media.tumb...b80no1_1280.jpg

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (RiccardoPatrese @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 13:28)

I like that to, The Salton Sea, Salton City and maybe even Slab City (from Into the Wild).

Looking at some more images from the Salton Sea, I can totally see why Rockstar included it.

Actually, a lot of it looks as if someone has already been playing Trevor there for quite a while... wink.gif

RiccardoPatrese
  • RiccardoPatrese

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (poncratias @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 14:05)
WOW!!! FANTASTIC FIND!!!!!

just for comparisation sakes:

http://i.imgur.com/gi1w5.jpg
http://24.media.tumb...b80no1_1280.jpg

Here is the address: 99061 West Access Road, Mecca, CA

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users