Photo

Your most overrated US presidents?

106 replies to this topic
mt774
  • mt774

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:27 PM

Which US presidents do you fell to be overrated when people talk of their achievements and decisions?

Mine choice: Abraham Lincoln who so many admire and praise, but he owned slaves.

and yours?

Guns N R0se
  • Guns N R0se

King of the Mountain

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

Inb4 Obama
Inb4 debate
Inb4 lock

Also, Obama.

NaidRaida
  • NaidRaida

Inactive user

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

G. W. Bush jun.

The anti-terror single player mod for the US. Not recommended, may crash your system.

To me, an epic fail this fool.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Absolute Dunkel:Heit

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D]
    Contribution Award [General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (NaidRaida @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 21:06)
G. W. Bush jun.

The anti-terror single player mod for the US. Not recommended, may crash your system.

Not really over-rated though, is he? That would suggest he was well-rated in the first place, which he wasn't.

NaidRaida
  • NaidRaida

Inactive user

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

Youīre right. He was never well-rated. Maybe I choose him because he always presented himself as such a consequent guy. He simply presentated himself like he was well-rated all the time but at the end even his sh*t stinks.

Guns N R0se
  • Guns N R0se

King of the Mountain

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (NaidRaida @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 20:06)
G. W. Bush jun.

silly liberal.

mt774
  • mt774

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:40 PM

whut about JFK? I mean i never hear anybody say a bad word about him. Was he so great everybody loves him?

Guns N R0se
  • Guns N R0se

King of the Mountain

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (mt774 @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 20:40)
whut about JFK? I mean i never hear anybody say a bad word about him. Was he so great everybody loves him?

people like you better once your dead.

NaidRaida
  • NaidRaida

Inactive user

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:44 PM

Lee Harvey Oswald obviously didnīt loved him. Or too much... if all that what was heard is true... I didnīt heard anything bad about JFK so far.

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

QUOTE (Guns N R0se @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 20:41)

people like you better once your dead.

Very true, his brother Bobby actually did more with regards to civil rights and that is th same with his successor Lydon. B. Johnson. He was also an adulterer and an alcoholic I believe so that knocks some points off his presidency as well.

Twang.
  • Twang.

No greater good, no just cause.

• The Connection

Ronald motherf*cking Reagan.

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members
  • None
  • Comedian of the Year 2010

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:45 PM

Maybe.........................Bill Clinton? Franklin Roosevelt?!?!!

NaidRaida
  • NaidRaida

Inactive user

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:46 PM

Oh yeah, to Billy Boy I would also agree. biggrin.gif

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (cidamelo @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 20:45)
Maybe.........................Bill Clinton? Franklin Roosevelt?!?!!

Bill Clinton was actually an ok president. Good economic expansion but there was the intervention in Bosnia and Somalia, both controversial.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

He was a weak willed President who botched the best chance America had to unseat Castro. He was a pill popping physical wreck whose licentiousness would have made Clinton blush. Why is he so revered now? Because he died young, because people believe he was killed by The Big Bad Wolf, because he was handsome.
But he was a bad President, Nixon trounced him in almost every regard. Call me crazy, but I think Nixon may be the best President of the 20th Century.

Heisenberg
  • Heisenberg

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 20:32)
QUOTE (NaidRaida @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 21:06)
G. W. Bush jun.

Not really over-rated though, is he? That would suggest he was well-rated in the first place, which he wasn't.

Overall average ratings maybe, but let's not forget how popular he actually became, and only then on did he make a steady decline over the successive six years of his office. It's a recurring consequence of representative democracy.

Guns N R0se
  • Guns N R0se

King of the Mountain

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 20:49)

He was a weak willed President who botched the best chance America had to unseat Castro. He was a pill popping physical wreck whose licentiousness would have made Clinton blush. Why is he so revered now? Because he died young, because people believe he was killed by The Big Bad Wolf, because he was handsome.
But he was a bad President, Nixon trounced him in almost every regard. Call me crazy, but I think Nixon may be the best President of the 20th Century.

wow, Typhus you are a man after my own heart.

Nixon was a good President. Every single President has done at least 1 illegal/questionable thing in office. The difference is Nixon got caught and now everyone acts like he was terrible.

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:57 PM Edited by OchyGTA, 03 November 2011 - 08:59 PM.

QUOTE (Guns N R0se @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 20:52)
QUOTE (Typhus @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 20:49)

wow, Typhus you are a man after my own heart.

Nixon was a good President. Every single President has done at least 1 illegal/questionable thing in office. The difference is Nixon got caught and now everyone acts like he was terrible.

I would agree in terms of foreign policy e.g. China and civil rights, I believe he abolished segregation in schools in de facto but in economic terms; kinda average I guess. What's more, the "tactical withdrawal" from Vietnam was a bit of a mess. There have been worse presidents but there have been better.

mt774
  • mt774

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

Bush was really despised so much, but why elect him for second term? John Kerry was really so bad that ppl would rather have Bush again?

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (mt774 @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 21:00)
Bush was really despised so much, but why elect him for second term? John Kerry was really so bad that ppl would rather have Bush again?

Good economic growth and people were more "supportive" of the War on Terror I would presume. He wasn't a terrible president, just made some big (and I mean big) mistakes.

Guns N R0se
  • Guns N R0se

King of the Mountain

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

user posted image

I really liked Bush. He did what was necessary. People blame him because they needed someone to blame. Funny how every says how stupid he is, yet I'd like to see them do his job for a day.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (OchyGTA @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 21:04)

Good economic growth and people were more "supportive" of the War on Terror I would presume. He wasn't a terrible president, just made some big (and I mean big) mistakes.

He was America's answer to Idi Amin. Amin, if you recall, pretended to be a buffoon in order to conceal the extent of his crimes. Bush did the same thing and now lo and behold, you people blame Cheney for everything Bush did.

I heard a story once about Bush when he was Governor of Texas. How a woman on death row begged and pleaded for her life. She said she had changed and understood the severity of her crime but was afraid of death. Apparently Bush simply mocked her panic, mimicking her sobs and garbled pleas for clemency.

He was a cruel, narcisstic man. A man who understood how to play people in the way sociopaths often do. The fact that he was circumventing everything America stood for with some shamelessness should have tipped you off. But no, you all just thought he was a fool who was easily led by his advisors.

I think he was insane, or at least incredibly disturbed. Perhaps the worst President in American history. Maybe Warren Harding is a close contender. But Bush's megalomania, his betrayal of American values and his vicious indifference to human suffering make him a very calculating and deceptive monster in my eyes.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (Guns N R0se @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 16:04)
user posted image

I really liked Bush. He did what was necessary. People blame him because they needed someone to blame. Funny how every says how stupid he is, yet I'd like to see them do his job for a day.

Right, because torture works.

Anyway, the most overrated is for sure Ronald Reagan. The conservative guy who tripled the national debt and sold weapons to Bin Laden and Iran, and also, raised taxes multiple times.

As for the OP, no, that's wrong. Lincoln did NOT own slaves. He had been opposed to slavery for his entire life. The guy was a member of the biggest anti slavery party in the country at the time (Republicans)

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:27 PM Edited by OchyGTA, 03 November 2011 - 09:37 PM.

QUOTE (Typhus @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 21:18)

He was America's answer to Idi Amin. Amin, if you recall, pretended to be a buffoon in order to conceal the extent of his crimes. Bush did the same thing and now lo and behold, you people blame Cheney for everything Bush did.

I heard a story once about Bush when he was Governor of Texas. How a woman on death row begged and pleaded for her life. She said she had changed and understood the severity of her crime but was afraid of death. Apparently Bush simply mocked her panic, mimicking her sobs and garbled pleas for clemency.

He was a cruel, narcisstic man. A man who understood how to play people in the way sociopaths often do. The fact that he was circumventing everything America stood for with some shamelessness should have tipped you off. But no, you all just thought he was a fool who was easily led by his advisors.

I think he was insane, or at least incredibly disturbed. Perhaps the worst President in American history. Maybe Warren Harding is a close contender. But Bush's megalomania, his betrayal of American values and his vicious indifference to human suffering make him a very calculating and deceptive monster in my eyes.

I can't call him on being the worst president in American history. In my opinion that would go to Herbert Hoover or Dwight D. Eisenhower. I don't think there is any denying his cruelty as after all, the man did sanction the illegal war in Iraq which is responsible for the deaths of thousands of civilians.But, if you looked solely at the statistics, I guess he'd come out looking as a decent president.

E: Does anyone feel that Obama is too much of an isolationist? He doesn't seem keen to intervene in foreign affairs with the example of Libya being the most recent. Reminds me very much of post World War One America.

Guns N R0se
  • Guns N R0se

King of the Mountain

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 21:27)

Right, because torture works.

Torture gets results. And terrorist don't have rights. I support the supposed "torture" of terrorist.

QUOTE (OchyGTA)
Illegal war in Iraq

silly silly liberals. Saddam Hussein was dangerous and Iraq harbors terrorist.

I agree we shouldn't have invaded Iraq.

We should have nuked the entire damned Middle East.

Luna Fortuna
  • Luna Fortuna

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:37 PM Edited by Personguy, 03 November 2011 - 09:39 PM.

QUOTE (Guns N R0se @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 21:30)

That is so f*cking retarded it's not even funny. How many innocent civilians would die as a result of this andal Qaeda have no power or the resources to do anything any more so there is no reason to do this.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (OchyGTA @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 21:27)
QUOTE (Typhus @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 21:18)

I can't call him on being the worst president in American history. In my opinion that would go to Herbert Hoover or Dwight D. Eisenhower. I don't think there is any denying his cruelty as after all, the man did sanction the illegal war in Iraq which is responsible for the deaths of thousands of civilians.But, if you looked solely at the statistics, I guess he'd come out looking as a decent president.

As much as it pains me to say it. If, by some miracle, Iraq becomes a stable democracy George W. Bush may be vindicated by history.
But I don't think he wanted democracy. I think the biggest factor was either religious zeal or a Commodian desire to outdo his father and cast his own shadow over the world.
His dad bailed him out of everything, gave him every opportunity, every advantage. For a man like Bush - confident, sly, obsessed with power - that must have been sickening.

His reign descended into fantastical, bombastic ravings which alienated all those nations who stood by America after 9/11. His War on Terror probably did start as a legitimate attempt to avenge the attacks, but a man like Bush wanted more control. Wanted to dictate the terms of the war, wanted a tangible enemy to conquer, wanted an easy target to parade in front of the world and string up.

Like I said, history might let him off the hook. But as a human being, as a man, he was a f*cking psychopath. And I truly believe that.

mt774
  • mt774

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

What about Woodrow Wilson for selling the country out to the bankers.

a lot of ppl dislike Hoover for watching the Depression happen and doing nothing.

Guns N R0se
  • Guns N R0se

King of the Mountain

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (Personguy @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 21:37)
QUOTE (Guns N R0se @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 21:30)

That is so f*cking retarded it's not even funny. How many innocent civilians would die as a result of this andal Qaeda have no power or the resources to do anything any more so there is no reason to do this.

Ok, innocent civilians would die. yes.

But, American soldiers would be saved.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (OchyGTA @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 16:27)
I can't call him on being the worst president in American history. In my opinion that would go to Herbert Hoover or Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Actually, we could use another Ike right about now.

Moving this to Debates & Discussion and all further posts should be of the standards for that forum. Thanks.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users