Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA V Police Cars & Emergency Vehicles

8,556 replies to this topic
CallTheCoroner
  • CallTheCoroner

Have you ever been dying of thirst, and smelled rain?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:38 AM

Hey guys, in the new jet screenshot, is that an extra set of tail lights just above the exhaust?

I think they're just reflectors.

LSPD_Dragon
  • LSPD_Dragon

Police Officer

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:41 AM

Hey guys, in the new jet screenshot, is that an extra set of tail lights just above the exhaust?

Believe those are reflectors which all cars have, would be why their lit up a bit with all the runway lights.

John Footpenis
  • John Footpenis

Thug

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:44 AM

I was thinking so. Just had to ask since we never had them before.

zakir2
  • zakir2

PS3- The Clean Up Crew - Now recruting - PM mohammad_zaki

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:51 AM

One common "feel" among all GTA IV vehicles was the ridiculously fast deceleration that occurs when you stop accelerating and don't apply the brake. That drastically diminished the quality of GTA driving. I'm hoping they fixed this in GTA V although I wouldn't bet anything on it! I don't want to be driving down a slight decline, let off the gas and then come to a complete stop in a matter of seconds without the brake.

Somebody give this guy a cookie ;)

I agree, it's DRIVING me crazy!!

hehe, see what I did there? 0-0
  • _Douglas_ likes this

kmanmx
  • kmanmx

Peon

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:59 AM

The problem isn't that clear though. If you are driving around at very high RPMs (as would be the case if you driving like you stole a car... which you have), and then you let off the gas, the car would slow down quicker than it would when driving at normal RPMs.

I'm not saying it's right in GTA4, i'm sure it's probably not. But it's yet another thing they have to add in to the lines of code, and on a game as big as GTAV, with it's already extremely high level of complexity, they may not have time. They simply can't simulate every aspect of life, even if it is easy to do.  

Also, it may be a game play thing. It's easier to drive cars and approach corners if cars slow down naturally faster. Personally, i'd prefer it to be a full on driving sim like rFactor 2, but most people would not.

As for the police cars, I think they look excellent. They are not perfect, but they are very good. It's worth bearing in mind GTA isn't a faithful representation of real life. None of the cars are. It's supposed to be similar to real life, and that's all. And I hate to say it, but we are a small (but enthusiastic) minority of people that care about the size of the LED lights in the rear window. The poor vehicle artists at Rockstar are probably sick to death of being told by their senior to make more realistic police cars after reading this thread themselves ;) 

American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:08 AM Edited by American, 07 September 2013 - 01:45 AM.

One common "feel" among all GTA IV vehicles was the ridiculously fast deceleration that occurs when you stop accelerating and don't apply the brake. That drastically diminished the quality of GTA driving. I'm hoping they fixed this in GTA V although I wouldn't bet anything on it! I don't want to be driving down a slight decline, let off the gas and then come to a complete stop in a matter of seconds without the brake.

Somebody give this guy a cookie ;)

I agree, it's DRIVING me crazy!!

hehe, see what I did there? 0-0

Was that meant to be a pun? I like puns.

The problem isn't that clear though. If you are driving around at very high RPMs (as would be the case if you driving like you stole a car... which you have), and then you let off the gas, the car would slow down quicker than it would when driving at normal RPMs.

I'm not saying it's right in GTA4, i'm sure it's probably not. But it's yet another thing they have to add in to the lines of code, and on a game as big as GTAV, with it's already extremely high level of complexity, they may not have time. They simply can't simulate every aspect of life, even if it is easy to do.  

Also, it may be a game play thing. It's easier to drive cars and approach corners if cars slow down naturally faster. Personally, i'd prefer it to be a full on driving sim like rFactor 2, but most people would not.

I figure there must be some code that says how fast a car slows down without the brake. So, rather than having to add more code they could just tweak it to be more reasonable. I'm not really asking for a perfect representation of how cars coast and different cars react differently when you let off the gas (my car slows down way too fast for me--I'm a natural born hypermiler with only my stupid car in the way) but it was really quite ridiculous in GTA IV. Cars would stop on declines and I once drove a truck full throttle to the top of a steep hill (that really steep off ramp on the third island), let go of the gas, coasted down, and the truck came to a complete stop just a few feet after the hill. That's so ridiculous that it should be beneath Rockstar.

kmanmx
  • kmanmx

Peon

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:14 AM

If thats the case then it is pretty bad.

I guess I don't really every coast that much, at least not to a total stop. I'll play some IV and see what gives.

American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:31 AM Edited by American, 07 September 2013 - 01:31 AM.

I guess I don't really every coast that much, at least not to a total stop. I'll play some IV and see what gives.

I got in a Calvalcade and accelerated to near full speed. About ten seconds after letting off the gas, it was stopped. I am about to try the off ramp experiment and time it.

American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:40 AM Edited by American, 07 September 2013 - 01:45 AM.

Okay I used a Benson and drove down the steep off ramp at the bottom center of the third island (a bit to the left of the prison). I accelerated to at least half speed and let off the gas at the top of the hill. It stopped at the bottom right near the little ramp. It stopped about 6 or so benson truck-lengths from the end of the off ramp. That's pretty ridiculous! Also, I drove a faction to almost full speed, let off the gas before a moderate decline and about 17 seconds later (still on the moderate decline) it came to a complete stop).

If you let off the gas in a given car and just coast to a stop on flat ground, it is clear that the car is behaving as it should if you had a considerable amount of pressure on the brakes.

Sanchez14
  • Sanchez14

Special Purpose Force (SFU-1)

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:48 AM

They might possibly be reflectors. In some screens they seem that way anyway.

LAPD 85
  • LAPD 85

The Cop

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:15 AM

From the CNT commercial

2013-09-06_221136.png

2013-09-06_221243.png

DEERxBanshee
  • DEERxBanshee

Badder den dem

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:17 AM

so is it looking like crown vics will have old style lights from gta iv and the leds?

LAPD 85
  • LAPD 85

The Cop

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:19 AM

I still don't get why, on the screens, sometimes the blue light is on the left. WTF?

I apologize for the double post but to answer your question; the pictures where you see the blue lights on the left side are from older game builds.  When the gameplay trailer came out, this was when the blue/red lights became the correct red/blue combination.  Rest assured that the blue/red light combination is no more!  :^:

SimsDaniel916
  • SimsDaniel916

Future LE Officer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:19 AM

so is it looking like crown vics will have old style lights from gta iv and the leds?

Yah, we have seen both variations of the Crown Victoria (Sheriff & LSPD) with an LED light bar and rotators. 

DEERxBanshee
  • DEERxBanshee

Badder den dem

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:21 AM

sweet i like that variation is always good

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:25 AM

"The Los Santos Police Department is famous for tackling crime in the most aggressive and unhinged way possible. This is through community outreach like stop and frisk, spectacular police chases and liberal use of stun guns and service revolvers."

TheTerminatorNY
  • TheTerminatorNY

Saxon = Joke Account

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:26 AM

From the CNT commercial

2013-09-06_221136.png

That just looks so awesome. I'm sure this was done just for the "show," but it would be cool if this was actually an extra view while in police cars.

LAPD 85
  • LAPD 85

The Cop

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

That just looks so awesome. I'm sure this was done just for the "show," but it would be cool if this was actually an extra view while in police cars.

They could have added this view as a cinematic view when you are in cinematic mode during a chase.  That would be great if R* did that.

Sanchez14
  • Sanchez14

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:30 AM

It looked really nice in the clip too! It'll be a blast operating these things all across the map

TheTerminatorNY
  • TheTerminatorNY

Saxon = Joke Account

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:32 AM

They could have added this view as a cinematic view when you are in cinematic mode during a chase.  That would be great if R* did that.

That would be pretty cool. They may also use this in GTA: Online when you watch other players' chases on the news channel.

• Sanchez14 likes this

ty0628
  • ty0628

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:36 AM

Do you guys think that guns will actually come out of holsters or appear to stay in them when drawn like previous gta's

SimsDaniel916
  • SimsDaniel916

Future LE Officer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:08 AM

Not sure how much people are into role-playing here but I really hope theres a large LSPD Station thats fully accessible including the jail, especially in GTA Online.

• Sanchez14 likes this

Sanchez14
  • Sanchez14

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:25 AM

Not sure how much people are into role-playing here but I really hope theres a large LSPD Station thats fully accessible including the jail, especially in GTA Online.

Same here! Just more enterable buildings in general, but especially police stations.

American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:45 AM

Same here! Just more enterable buildings in general, but especially police stations.

I second this sentiment. However, judging from the screenshots and videos, it looks like very few buildings will have interiors. For example, the club house on the golf course looks like it's not enterable and even parts of Michael's house don't look enterable. That's unfortunate seeing as they could probably add a few dozen interiors without too much trouble. I would rather have that than a detailed underwater world. At least it probably won't be like Just Cause 2--it was like they went out of their way not to have any interiors in that game!

• Sanchez14 likes this

Sanchez14
  • Sanchez14

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:21 AM

I second this sentiment. However, judging from the screenshots and videos, it looks like very few buildings will have interiors. For example, the club house on the golf course looks like it's not enterable and even parts of Michael's house don't look enterable. That's unfortunate seeing as they could probably add a few dozen interiors without too much trouble. I would rather have that than a detailed underwater world. At least it probably won't be like Just Cause 2--it was like they went out of their way not to have any interiors in that game!

Well, the new Ammunation store screenshot that came out yesterday looked like a regular building, but it has to be enterable. Then you have all the other stores and places you can "rob"

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

Resident Actor, Dancer, and Singer

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:27 AM

Okay I used a Benson and drove down the steep off ramp at the bottom center of the third island (a bit to the left of the prison). I accelerated to at least half speed and let off the gas at the top of the hill. It stopped at the bottom right near the little ramp. It stopped about 6 or so benson truck-lengths from the end of the off ramp. That's pretty ridiculous! Also, I drove a faction to almost full speed, let off the gas before a moderate decline and about 17 seconds later (still on the moderate decline) it came to a complete stop).

If you let off the gas in a given car and just coast to a stop on flat ground, it is clear that the car is behaving as it should if you had a considerable amount of pressure on the brakes.

ALL video games do that. In real life, simply turning on the engine, putting the car in Drive, and keeping your foot off the brake will cause the car to coast forward on its own. Releasing your foot from the gas at high speed will result in it taking quite a while to slow down on its own and it won't come to a stop until you put your foot on the brakes or hit something.

Actually simulating cars coasting forward without the brakes or rolling down hills would be terribly aggravating, as many players would forget to put the parking brake on when parked on a hill. Not to mention that since the brake button is also reverse, you literally can't "hold your foot on the brake" when wanting to be stopped.

Frankly, this level of complexity is unnecessary. GTA has never been a perfect simulation of real life, nor should it be. Fun comes first and foremost, and remembering to put on the parking brake or having cars coast for ages on inertia alone aren't very fun.

• TheTerminatorNY likes this

LAPD 85
  • LAPD 85

The Cop

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

ALL video games do that. In real life, simply turning on the engine, putting the car in Drive, and keeping your foot off the brake will cause the car to coast forward on its own. Releasing your foot from the gas at high speed will result in it taking quite a while to slow down on its own and it won't come to a stop until you put your foot on the brakes or hit something.

Actually simulating cars coasting forward without the brakes or rolling down hills would be terribly aggravating, as many players would forget to put the parking brake on when parked on a hill. Not to mention that since the brake button is also reverse, you literally can't "hold your foot on the brake" when wanting to be stopped.

Frankly, this level of complexity is unnecessary. GTA has never been a perfect simulation of real life, nor should it be. Fun comes first and foremost, and remembering to put on the parking brake or having cars coast for ages on inertia alone aren't very fun.

In order to solve these issues, you will need to modify the handling.dat file.  Then you can change the mass, drag, center of mass, suspension, brakes, etc. to your
liking for whatever vehicle you want.  There are exact values out there for real life counterparts for Crown Vics, Chargers, Impalas, etc.

American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:55 AM

While I personally would like cars in GTA that would move slowly on flat ground when you release the brake in D and require a switch to R to go in reverse using the R2 button, and a brake that doesn't magically turn into reverse, I don't expect Rockstar to do that. But I DO expect Rockstar to make cars that don't behave like you're pressing firmly on the brake every time you release the gas without braking. I don't understand how that could possibly be considered a superior way of vehicle handling. Frankly, I am baffled that nobody else has complained about this glaring issue on forums, reviews, or blos(that I have found).

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

Resident Actor, Dancer, and Singer

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

While I personally would like cars in GTA that would move slowly on flat ground when you release the brake in D and require a switch to R to go in reverse using the R2 button, and a brake that doesn't magically turn into reverse, I don't expect Rockstar to do that. But I DO expect Rockstar to make cars that don't behave like you're pressing firmly on the brake every time you release the gas without braking. I don't understand how that could possibly be considered a superior way of vehicle handling. Frankly, I am baffled that nobody else has complained about this glaring issue on forums, reviews, or blos(that I have found).

Making things easier for the player by letting their car slow down when they're not intentionally keeping their foot on the gas isn't a "glaring issue."

Sanchez14
  • Sanchez14

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

All I said was I wanted them to feel different, not be some realistic simulators... Hopefully they have the sounds right though. At least for the CV. There's apparently a way you can turn your car on or off, and hearing the CV kick in to overdrive while stationary was always a distinct sound to me.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users