'Los Santos Only' Discussion (Merged)

1,412 replies to this topic
NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:16 AM

Thats what i want is long stretches of highway etc., made me feel like i was going someplace far away.

J24D
  • J24D

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE (ColeIsaac @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 00:15)
QUOTE (J24D @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 23:55)
QUOTE (dr.house @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 23:49)
I think that it's possible to create GTAV (San Andreas) with all three cities in. Rockstar had only 2 years to build San Andreas (October 26, 2004), Vice City was released on 1. October 2002.

GTAIV was released on 29. April 2008, GTAV will be released in April-May 2012 (earliest). That are 4 years!!

And don't forget, Rockstar's original 3D-models of San-Andreas objects (cars, buildings) were done in 3DStudio/Cinema4D, so they're detailed enough to re-use them in GTAV. Their polygon count had just to be reduced, so the PS/2 could display them fast enough.

I think GTAV was done like this:

- Make a branch of the GTAIV (Rage) engine. Optimize it.
- Import all old San Andreas 3D-models with the highest possible polygon count from the original sources (3D Studio)
- Also import the high resolution textures (created from scratch with Photoshop/Illustrator in 300dpi, or modified digicam pictures)
- Now start to sort out, make some new, or modify objects and then rearrange them, so it doesn't look to similar.
- Build a terrain generator/beautifier and import the old San Andreas map
- Create a new story, record audio, motioncapturing and so on...

- Brand new engine
- Brand new characters
- Brand new textures
- Brand new city

See where this is going?

It's the same engine, and there are clearly re-used textures (returning GTA IV cars, a returning billboard) so it's not all new...

It is an upgraded RAGE engine.

Obviously there will textures taken from GTA IV but they wont import the San Andreas map, it would take longer to edit and rework everything rather than to start from new. It needs to have new foundations anyway.

HeNDo6750
  • HeNDo6750

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:25 AM

is this for next gen of consoles or this generation. i hope its for this gen

J24D
  • J24D

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (HeNDo6750 @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 00:25)
is this for next gen of consoles or this generation. i hope its for this gen

Definately this generation of consoles, only the Wii-u has been announced and im sure R* will know when Microsoft and Sony plan to release. The next GTA will probably come out 2 years after the next gen consoles are released, giving time for people to upgrade.

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:33 AM Edited by meson1, 04 November 2011 - 12:39 AM.

Let's take a different tack on this. The version of L.A. featured in GTA:SA was massively, massively condensed. They really had to hack L.A. to pieces in order to come up with something that would fit into one corner of the playing area. Even though I don't live in L.A. (hell, not even in the U.S.) and don't know L.A. half as well some people here, I know that there are a quite a few significant landmarks (Farmer's Market, La Brea Tar Pits, Disneyland, Universal Studios, Hollywood Bowl and many, many others) that didn't make it into the final cut of Los Santos in GTA:SA. And stuff that did make it in was cut down, compressed, rearranged and massively compromised in order to make it work. True, L.S. was never intended to represent L.A. street for street, it only had to have the right feel. And that was enough for the story that was to be told with it. But it doesn't change the fact that it was completely and brutally butchered to put it into GTA:SA. (Not that SA wasn't a bad game or that LS was a bad city. I like GTA:SA.)

In GTA:V, Los Santos now gets a whole game to itself. It too will not be a street by street representation of the real life city. But nor is it going to be a rehash of GTA:SA's version of L.S. But it is going to take centre stage. L.A. will still be massively condensed, but now they have much more area to play with, so it won't be compressed quite as much. They are going to be able to get a hell of a lot more of L.A. into the new L.S. This rendition of Los Santos is going to be an entirely new city. It will be as different from GTA:SA as GTA:IV's Liberty City was different to GTA:III (albeit that in GTA:III LC wasn't intended to be a direct representation of NYC, but I digress).

Furthermore, I think it unlikely that GTA:V will be focusing on L.A.'s street gang culture. In GTA:SA, it was central to the plot and the lead characters. GTA:V may possibly have some street gang elements in it, but they are more likely to take a back seat to what ever the central plot is likely to be.

Overall, GTA:V is not going to be GTA:SA mk2. It's going to be it's own game with it's own identity. It may not be what everyone wants. But Rockstar do prefer to let their creativity do their talking. They will give us a game that breaks new ground and is able to stand in it's own right.

GTA:V is going to be different in so many ways to GTA:SA. Deal with it.

Peace.

J24D
  • J24D

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE (meson1 @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 00:33)
Let's take a different tack on this. The version of L.A. featured in GTA:SA was massively, massively condensed. They really had to hack L.A. to pieces in order to come up with something that would fit into one corner of the playing area. Even though I don't live in L.A. (hell, not even in the U.S.) and don't know L.A. half as well some people here, I know that there are a quite a few significant landmarks (Farmer's Market, La Brea Tar Pits, Disneyland, Universal Studios, Hollywood Bowl and many, many others) that didn't make it into the final cut of Los Santos in GTA:SA. And stuff that did make it in was cut down, compressed, rearranged and massively compromised in order to make it work. True, L.S. was never intended to represent L.A. street for street, it only had to have the right feel. And that was enough for the story that was to be told with it. But it doesn't change the fact that it was completely and brutally butchered to put it into GTA:SA. (Not that SA wasn't a bad game or that LS was a bad city. I like GTA:SA.)

In GTA:V, Los Santos now gets a whole game to itself. It too will not be a street by street representation of the real life city. But nor is it going to be a rehash of GTA:SA's version of L.S. But it is going to take centre stage. L.A. will still be massively condensed, but now they have much more area to play with, so it won't be compressed quite as much. They are going to be able to get a hell of a lot more of L.A. into the new L.S. This rendition of Los Santos is going to be an entirely new city. It will be as different from GTA:SA as GTA:IV's Liberty City was different to GTA:III (albeit that in GTA:III LC wasn't intended to be a direct representation of NYC, but I digress).

Furthermore, I think it unlikely that GTA:V will be focusing on L.A.'s street gang culture. In GTA:SA, it was central to the plot and the lead characters. GTA:V may possibly have some street gang elements in it, but they are more likely to take a back seat to what ever the central plot is likely to be.

Overall, GTA:V is not going to be GTA:SA mk2. It's going to be it's own game with it's own identity. It may not be what everyone wants. But Rockstar do prefer to let their creativity do their talking. They will give us a game that breaks new ground and is able to stand in it's own right.

Peace.

This.. Well said mate.

ChorusGuy
  • ChorusGuy

Doing it in a very efficient rate

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE (I like GTA and Saints Row @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 23:25)
As a massive San Andreas fanboy who considers it the greatest game of all time, I'm honestly not bothered if it turns out Los Santos is the only main city in the game. I loved San Andreas for the varied landscape, and it's exactly what I wanted out of GTA V. But what I loved about San Andreas variety of the map wasn't so much the variety of the cities, but the open areas between the cities. The main thing I wanted out of the location in GTA V was lots of countryside and mountain areas to explore as well as the main city. San Fierro was always pretty meh to me, and as much as I liked Las Venturas I don't feel like I'm going to miss it too much as long as we're getting a massive awesome new version of Los Santos along with the surrounding areas.

Plus the Los Santos in the trailer looked very little like the Los Santos in San Andreas. It'll be a completely different take on it anyway and be way more detailed. The scale of it will be huge. It should be a bigger map than San Andreas, and based on the trailer there's plenty of variety in the location even if it is only Los Santos and surrounding areas.

This, this and again THIS!

I think when people hear that there will be just one main city, the first thing which comes to their mind is Liberty City from IV and that they didn't like it.

But the thing that made SA so good and LC (mapwise) so bad isn't the three cities but the huge countryside between them.

So I think that everyone who liked SA will like V.

Bruceafc
  • Bruceafc

UbeenFrimponed

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:47 AM

This is a nooby question but, because its only los santos, is it just going to be one big island or is it going to have bridges link us to other towns, im really confused, yes i did play san andreas and there was 3 towns but now we know only los santos is in seems as though i will only be and island, which seems unlike gta as every game i can rember had brides leading to other islands.

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE (BTNH @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 19:14)
Even if it's bigger and there is countryside, the "exploring" made SA so fun. The thought I was driving this long highway to a totally different city. Even if the map is bigger, which it probably will be, it won't be the same because I know I'm ultimately driving around a big field around one city.

If they split Los Santos into a couple of pieces, divided by country then I guess it will make it better for me.

EXACTLY, I want to travel to a different city when things get crazy. Take a break from the storyline, clear my mind and feel like I'm taking a 'vacation' from the missions.

Halo_Override
  • Halo_Override

Dilettante

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE (J24D @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 17:43)
Let's take a different tack on this.  The version of L.A. featured in GTA:SA was massively, massively condensed.  They really had to hack L.A. to pieces in order to come up with something that would fit into one corner of the playing area.  Even though I don't live in L.A. (hell, not even in the U.S.) and don't know L.A. half as well some people here, I know that there are a quite a few significant landmarks (Farmer's Market, La Brea Tar Pits, Disneyland, Universal Studios, Hollywood Bowl and many, many others) that didn't make it into the final cut of Los Santos in GTA:SA.  And stuff that did make it in was cut down, compressed, rearranged and massively compromised in order to make it work.  True, L.S. was never intended to represent L.A. street for street, it only had to have the right feel.  And that was enough for the story that was to be told with it.  But it doesn't change the fact that it was completely and brutally butchered to put it into GTA:SA. (Not that SA wasn't a bad game or that LS was a bad city. I like GTA:SA.)

In GTA:V, Los Santos now gets a whole game to itself.  It too will not be a street by street representation of the real life city.  But nor is it going to be a rehash of GTA:SA's version of L.S.  But it is going to take centre stage.  L.A. will still be massively condensed, but now they have much more area to play with, so it won't be compressed quite as much.  They are going to be able to get a hell of a lot more of L.A. into the new L.S.  This rendition of Los Santos is going to be an entirely new city.  It will be as different from GTA:SA as GTA:IV's Liberty City was different to GTA:III (albeit that in GTA:III LC wasn't intended to be a direct representation of NYC, but I digress).

Furthermore, I think it unlikely that GTA:V will be focusing on L.A.'s street gang culture.  In GTA:SA, it was central to the plot and the lead characters.  GTA:V may possibly have some street gang elements in it, but they are more likely to take a back seat to what ever the central plot is likely to be.

Overall, GTA:V is not going to be GTA:SA mk2.  It's going to be it's own game with it's own identity.  It may not be what everyone wants.  But Rockstar do prefer to let their creativity do their talking.  They will give us a game that breaks new ground and is able to stand in it's own right.

GTA:V is going to be different in so many ways to GTA:SA.  Deal with it.

Peace.

This.. Well said mate.

Yep, great post.

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (Bruceafc @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 00:47)
This is a nooby question but, because its only Los Santos, is it just going to be one big island or is it going to have bridges link us to other towns? I'm really confused. Yes, I did play San Andreas and there were 3 towns. But now we know only Los Santos is in, it seems as though there will only be one island, which seems unlike GTA as every game i can remember had bridges leading to other islands.

We just don't know at this time. It probably won't be known until the game actually comes out how and if they will divide up the playing area.

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (meson1 @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 19:33)
Let's take a different tack on this.  The version of L.A. featured in GTA:SA was massively, massively condensed.  They really had to hack L.A. to pieces in order to come up with something that would fit into one corner of the playing area.

But that was the great part about it. It was the highlights of the City. What are they going to add? Probably just more basic buildings, the majority is nothing that is going to make us say "wow, I can't believe that wasn't here last time".

No matter how hard R* wants to seperate this game from the last San Andreas, they are going to have accept the fact that people are going to compare them.

skillz7855
  • skillz7855

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:11 AM

They said that game will be in Southern California

user posted image

If you ask me that pretty big plus details.

This is the exact quote of what they said

We are very proud to officially announce that Grand Theft Auto V is in full development.

Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches in the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created.

A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California.

With that being said they did not rule out other cities in Southern California

Turin88
  • Turin88

Your God

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:14 AM

You're all going to feel silly when the next trailer comes along showing San Fierro.

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE (J24D @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 00:43)
Let's take a different tack on this.  The version of L.A. featured in GTA:SA was massively, massively condensed.  They really had to hack L.A. to pieces in order to come up with something that would fit into one corner of the playing area.  Even though I don't live in L.A. (hell, not even in the U.S.) and don't know L.A. half as well some people here, I know that there are a quite a few significant landmarks (Farmer's Market, La Brea Tar Pits, Disneyland, Universal Studios, Hollywood Bowl and many, many others) that didn't make it into the final cut of Los Santos in GTA:SA.  And stuff that did make it in was cut down, compressed, rearranged and massively compromised in order to make it work.  True, L.S. was never intended to represent L.A. street for street, it only had to have the right feel.  And that was enough for the story that was to be told with it.  But it doesn't change the fact that it was completely and brutally butchered to put it into GTA:SA. (Not that SA wasn't a bad game or that LS was a bad city. I like GTA:SA.)

In GTA:V, Los Santos now gets a whole game to itself.  It too will not be a street by street representation of the real life city.  But nor is it going to be a rehash of GTA:SA's version of L.S.  But it is going to take centre stage.  L.A. will still be massively condensed, but now they have much more area to play with, so it won't be compressed quite as much.  They are going to be able to get a hell of a lot more of L.A. into the new L.S.  This rendition of Los Santos is going to be an entirely new city.  It will be as different from GTA:SA as GTA:IV's Liberty City was different to GTA:III (albeit that in GTA:III LC wasn't intended to be a direct representation of NYC, but I digress).

Furthermore, I think it unlikely that GTA:V will be focusing on L.A.'s street gang culture.  In GTA:SA, it was central to the plot and the lead characters.  GTA:V may possibly have some street gang elements in it, but they are more likely to take a back seat to what ever the central plot is likely to be.

Overall, GTA:V is not going to be GTA:SA mk2.  It's going to be it's own game with it's own identity.  It may not be what everyone wants.  But Rockstar do prefer to let their creativity do their talking.  They will give us a game that breaks new ground and is able to stand in it's own right.

Peace.

This.. Well said mate.

I agree. It should be R*'s statement to explain this question.

Axl00357
  • Axl00357

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:17 AM

QUOTE (Turin88 @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 01:14)
You're all going to feel silly when the next trailer comes along showing San Fierro.

Tell me about it

EVERYONE on the internet is jumping to bad conclusions. I mean this R*, there going to do the biggest and best thing there is.

gtacrazyz
  • gtacrazyz

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE (Axl00357 @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 01:17)
QUOTE (Turin88 @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 01:14)

Tell me about it

EVERYONE on the internet is jumping to bad conclusions. I mean this R*, there going to do the biggest and best thing there is.

fully agree...

my 2 pence on the situation (and please actually read it rather than just saying "los santos is confirmed")

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=491288

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:50 AM

I agree that if the next trailer shows San Ferrio or Las Venturas a lot of people will feel stupid for what they said. I'm just saying that I wish R* wouldn't leave us in the dark so much. I'm still keeping hope alive for the other two cities.

bpark8824
  • bpark8824

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE (Jeeebuuus @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 01:16)
QUOTE (J24D @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 00:43)

Peace.

This.. Well said mate.

I agree. It should be R*'s statement to explain this question.

At least someone understands what R* is doing. You're dead on. This should be put in it's own thread and locked so nobody can reply to it after because this is exactly what is going to happen.

mcstupidfun
  • mcstupidfun

D-Bomb

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:02 AM

Personally, I wouldn't mind having SF and LV but I don't necessarily want them. I'd prefer they incorporate Malibu or create their own beach towns. I'm not a fan of San Diego having its own space either. Not every space/district is interesting, well known or worthwhile but I hope they really make it huge and varied.

dewan2000
  • dewan2000

Hustler

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:04 AM

I cant believe ppl are actually dissapointed and they actually thought there was going to be 3 huge cities with the amount of detail we are seeing.....Sorry, we arnt going to see that with this Generation of consoles. It would take just way to much time to produce and have to many issues most likely. If they were to do 3 cities, we prolly wouldnt be seeing the game released for another 2 years.

Phoenix345
  • Phoenix345

Hu-Tong 4 Life

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:10 AM

i personally am ok with the idea of having a huge country side and one big city..

during the day you can climb mountains and explore the country then at night you can go back down to the city and chill there for a while

samyG
  • samyG

Uncivilized atheist looking to devour you when you're dead

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:15 AM

QUOTE (meson1 @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 19:33)

Peace.

Of course this game isn't going to focus on gangs like GTA:SA did, but they will hopefully be present. I mean, if they do justice to a "south central" like area within the game, then we will see street gangs roaming around said areas. I mean, we know there will be an East Los Angeles present and that area is known to be poor and gang ridden.

Hell, I'm pretty sure we'll have missions dealing with gangs either by working with one or being ambushed by one during a mission. It's going to happen.

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:34 AM

QUOTE (dewan2000 @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 10:04)
I cant believe ppl are actually dissapointed and they actually thought there was going to be 3 huge cities with the amount of detail we are seeing.....Sorry, we arnt going to see that with this Generation of consoles. It would take just way to much time to produce and have to many issues most likely. If they were to do 3 cities, we prolly wouldnt be seeing the game released for another 2 years.

San Andreas on PS2 only took 2 years. They've had since 2008 to make this, that's almost 4 years, with fully developed technology that they know well how to use. This is why they couldn't do it with GTA IV because they were making the RAGE engine and learning how to use technology on consoles that weren't released yet.

It's possible, Rockstar are really good at doing this sh*t.

SimMaster
  • SimMaster

San Andreas Explorer

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:39 AM

Sorry, I didn't read through all 57 pages of this thread, but there's this posted on Rockstar Games.com:

http://www.rockstarg...nouncement.html
We are very proud to officially announce that Grand Theft Auto V is in full development.

Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches in the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created.

A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California.

So, while it doesn't confirm only Los Santos, it sorta implies that.

Ice1980
  • Ice1980

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:39 AM

You know what I personally believe? There are other cities, but not at first. Hear me out. Just like past GTA's, when you first start out, other islands/cities are locked obviously. Los Santos, surrounding hills and country side are accessible from the start, but the roads/highways that lead to LV and SF are blocked obviously until a further DLC or a seperate add on disk that once available will allow us to venture off in to LV/SF for further exploration and story telling.

This is what I think just theories and wild thinking.....lol

* Los Santos: surrounding hills, countryside and beaches are accessible from the start. The story will be primarily, as mentioned by R*, in and around Los Santos.

* There will be/are other cities in S.A that are being worked on as we speak or possibly completed, yes completed. Just because R* focus is on L.S, doesn't mean they are not working on or have finished LV and SF.

* LV and SF will most likely be an additioal disk(s) possibly downloadable. Maybe after we completed the story mode, we are left with to be contiuned, we might see are protag driving off on I-15 heading to LV for example.

I just don't think that Los Santos is the Final destination. I believe there are DLC's that will have us leave the city and venture off, possibly on seperate disks when available.

Thoughts?

Halo_Override
  • Halo_Override

Dilettante

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE (SimMaster @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 19:39)
Sorry, I didn't read through all 57 pages of this thread, but there's this posted on Rockstar Games.com:

I think that news release was what inspired the merged thread. But yes, I agree their statement was tantalizingly unspecific, and I'm confident that was no accident.

sabbathfan
  • sabbathfan

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:53 AM

QUOTE (SimMaster @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 02:39)

YES! Exactly!

It implies only Los Santos.

But doesn't say so.

If it were Liberty City or Vice City the implication would mean nothing. We're all familiar with those locations as standalone cities. But when referring to a city in San Andreas, the implication means a lot.

Has
  • Has

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:55 AM

Good god there just has to be something over those damned mountains. I'll wait for Rockstar to either tell me or show me what that is because I am done jumping to conclusions.

chokeslamcena
  • chokeslamcena

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:58 AM

QUOTE (Halo_Override @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 02:47)
QUOTE (SimMaster @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 19:39)

I think that news release was what inspired the merged thread. But yes, I agree their statement was tantalizingly unspecific, and I'm confident that was no accident.

I think they pretty much told us that it's only Los Santos.

You have to remember that they're still trying to hype the game. They have to make it sound good. They can't use words like "only" or "sorry" or "unfortunately", etc.

So they're never gonna say "sorry, guys, unfortunately it's only Los Santos". That won't help them sell the game. If anything it just makes people sound like it was a half-hearted effort altogether.

They told us it's only LS, but they tried to say it with a positive spin. There'll be no SF or LV. I'm sure of it (though I'd love to see them, and finding out it's only LS has really killed my interest in the game, personally, as it's too similar to IV, now, in my opinion, but I'm sure that's how it's going).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users