Quantcast

» «
Photo

Northren Ireland who owns them you decide ?

45 replies to this topic
glenn tha killer
  • glenn tha killer

Irish.

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:45 PM Edited by glenn tha killer, 02 November 2011 - 08:25 PM.

Northern Ireland is a disputed area run basically by Ireland and mainly Briton the main problem goes back to the Plantations of Ulster which is the Provence Northern Ireland is in.What happened was the British decided to plant their citizens there, as war was expensive and they had the Spanish and French at their necks, they ordered many plantations but only one was considered victorious it was the plantation of Ulster.So as time went on the Celt`s or common Irish families were pushed of their land into the bogs and forests and the fact that the Irish were Catholic and the British were protestant never helped.As the Industrial Revolution began Catholics moved into their own towns and villages, the Catholics had their own and so did the protestants.It came to a time after many failed Revolutions that the Irish had a successful rebelian the IRB was established and soon after the 1916 Easter rising the IRA was set up.In the North groups were also set up by protestants so at that time the people of Ireland and the people of Briton came together to support each others causes.The British army gave in, they could no longer fight in Europe in world war 1 and worry about the oldest colony Ireland, they made a treaty and they both agreed on the fact that at the time Northern Ireland will always be more British populated than any other area in Ireland so the rest of Ireland was freed but the North with both Catholics and Protestants stayed in the firm grip of the British Empire, and has been still to this day.Then the troubles started and the IRA [in my view they are scum they killed innocent people and will never be anything like the original IRA] they fought for equal rights for Catholics in a very violent way and often bombed areas of Briton and Northern Ireland and killed many people they eventually signed a cease fire but splinter groups still run today who kill Innocent people.

RULES
  • no hate messages this is for anyone
  • You can add to points but please don't attack people over their views.
  • All the other rules of this form and of the website in general.
It would appreciated people adding to my points and correcting me if im wrong as I might be some where above I tried to be at least by-is as possible icon14.gif

valid points from sivispacem

QUOTE (glenn tha killer @ Wednesday, Nov 2 2011, 15:45)
Northern Ireland is a disputed area run basically by Ireland and mainly Briton the main problem goes back to the Plantations of Ulster which is the Provence Northern Ireland is in. What happened was the British decided to plant their citizens there, as war was expensive and they had the Spanish and French at their necks, they ordered many plantations but only one was considered victorious it was the plantation of Ulster. So as time went on the Celt`s or common Irish families were pushed of their land into the bogs and forests and the fact that the Irish were Catholic and the British were protestant never helped.

Actually, the fundamental problem wasn't that the common Irish were being pushed off their land- the area had been the focus of Scottish immigration for centuries and Highland Gaelic and Presbyterian Scots formed a sizeable proportion of the population. It was more down to the ingress of the common Irish- or more importantly (as you highlight) Catholics- into the actual running of the towns of Northern Ireland, "undue" religious tolerance towards Catholicism in the region, and perhaps most importantly, the rise of fundamentalist Protestantism after the Civil war.

As the Industrial Revolution began Catholics moved into their own towns and villages, the Catholics had their own and so did the protestants. It came to a time after many failed Revolutions that the Irish had a successful rebelian the IRB was established and soon after the 1916 Easter rising the IRA was set up.

Quite accurate, though the partition of Ireland didn't actually occur until 1921- that was the truly successful insurrection/rebellion. The IRA also existed before the Easter Rising, having been set up in 1913.

In the North groups were also set up by protestants so at that time the people of Ireland and the people of Briton came together to support each others causes. The British army gave in, they could no longer fight in Europe in world war 1 and worry about the oldest colony Ireland, they made a treaty and they both agreed on the fact that at the time Northern Ireland will always be more British populated than any other area in Ireland so the rest of Ireland was freed but the North with both Catholics and Protestants stayed in the firm grip of the British Empire, and has been still to this day.

The entire Irish War of Independence occurred after the First World War, rather than during it. The rest of what you say is pretty accurate- the UK's armed forces had been decimated by the conflict and the 1918-1919 Spanish Influenza outbreak, and they weren't capable of fighting a counter-insurgency war in Ireland. That led to the aforementioned establishment of the Irish state- which at this point did not include the Northern regions, which had by that point already had established a North-Eastern "Home Rule" parliament with a Unionist majority.

Then the troubles started and the IRA [in my view they are scum they killed innocent people and will never be anything like the original IRA] they fought for equal rights for Catholics in a very violent way and often bombed areas of Briton and Northern Ireland and killed many people they eventually signed a cease fire but splinter groups still run today who kill Innocent people.

The first incarnation of the IRA also killed innocent people. By conducting insurrection campaigns, they did target non-combatants in conflict- political figures, members of the police force and anyone else they saw as a bastion of British rule in Ireland. As, for that matter, did Unionist terrorist organisations like the Ulster Defence Force- commonly targeting Catholic civilians both in Northern Ireland and in the Republic. Since the full implementation of the Peace Process in 1998 and the re-establishment of a separate Irish parliamentary institution with close links to the Republic, but technically still part of the United Kingdom. This has pleased the vast majority of the IRA and it's splinter groups- but not all of them; similarly, it's been a good enough compromise for most aspects of the Loyalist/Unionist terrorist network, but not all of it. The problem is thus- the IRA splinter groups- Óglaigh na hÉireann, Continuity IRA and the Real IRA- haven't been satisfied- and they've been supplied clandestinely with weapons and explosives by other powers, principally Libya until very recently. Then again, both the Ulster Volunteer Force and Ulster Defence Force are still operating to some extent inside Ireland. Of these groups, only the IRA splinters have conducted or attempted to conduct large-scale attacks in Northern Ireland, and do possess the aspiration to attack England proper. With the exception of one of the so-called "Óglaigh na hÉireann" organisations (there are at least two, both a PIRA and CIRA splinter group), though, their intentions- and those of the Unionist paramilitary forces- have changed from being purely political, to operating closer to organised criminal gangs. These days, they tend to conduct activities such as the killing, robbing or maiming of drug dealers apparently conducting their activities on "their territory", and conducting robberies against businesses. There have also been incidents of attacks from both sides on innocent civilians of the other political or religious beliefs- Loyalists attacking Catholics and Republicans attacking Protestants. It's still far from resolved, but both sides are equally as guilty in my view. The Republicans have certainly caused more casualties, but they're numerically larger and have been the ones conducting limited warfare and the Unionists and British have responded to that- so that's no unexpected.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:46 PM

My ancestors were part of the old IRA and I'm very proud of them. I am almost entirely catholic, only about 25% of my lineage comes from Norway/Germany, and as someone who has family in Scotland and Ireland, I really don't see the issue. Northern Ireland is predominately Catholic and Anglican (I don't care what they say, it's the same religion save the pope) but I think that isn't much of an issue anymore. I think that people are past that and the what, 1 million people in Northern Ireland are fine with the status quo.

glenn tha killer
  • glenn tha killer

Irish.

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Wednesday, Nov 2 2011, 18:46)
My ancestors were part of the old IRA and I'm very proud of them. I am almost entirely catholic, only about 25% of my lineage comes from Norway/Germany, and as someone who has family in Scotland and Ireland, I really don't see the issue. Northern Ireland is predominately Catholic and Anglican (I don't care what they say, it's the same religion save the pope) but I think that isn't much of an issue anymore. I think that people are past that and the what, 1 million people in Northern Ireland are fine with the status quo.

so what is your answer

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D]
    Contribution Award [General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013
    Best Debater 2012
    Best Debater 2011

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:47 PM

Northern Ireland is a disputed area run basically by Ireland and mainly Briton the main problem goes back to the Plantations of Ulster which is the Provence Northern Ireland is in. What happened was the British decided to plant their citizens there, as war was expensive and they had the Spanish and French at their necks, they ordered many plantations but only one was considered victorious it was the plantation of Ulster. So as time went on the Celt`s or common Irish families were pushed of their land into the bogs and forests and the fact that the Irish were Catholic and the British were protestant never helped.

Actually, the fundamental problem wasn't that the common Irish were being pushed off their land- the area had been the focus of Scottish immigration for centuries and Highland Gaelic and Presbyterian Scots formed a sizeable proportion of the population. It was more down to the ingress of the common Irish- or more importantly (as you highlight) Catholics- into the actual running of the towns of Northern Ireland, "undue" religious tolerance towards Catholicism in the region, and perhaps most importantly, the rise of fundamentalist Protestantism after the Civil war.

As the Industrial Revolution began Catholics moved into their own towns and villages, the Catholics had their own and so did the protestants. It came to a time after many failed Revolutions that the Irish had a successful rebelian the IRB was established and soon after the 1916 Easter rising the IRA was set up.

Quite accurate, though the partition of Ireland didn't actually occur until 1921- that was the truly successful insurrection/rebellion. The IRA also existed before the Easter Rising, having been set up in 1913.

In the North groups were also set up by protestants so at that time the people of Ireland and the people of Briton came together to support each others causes. The British army gave in, they could no longer fight in Europe in world war 1 and worry about the oldest colony Ireland, they made a treaty and they both agreed on the fact that at the time Northern Ireland will always be more British populated than any other area in Ireland so the rest of Ireland was freed but the North with both Catholics and Protestants stayed in the firm grip of the British Empire, and has been still to this day.

The entire Irish War of Independence occurred after the First World War, rather than during it. The rest of what you say is pretty accurate- the UK's armed forces had been decimated by the conflict and the 1918-1919 Spanish Influenza outbreak, and they weren't capable of fighting a counter-insurgency war in Ireland. That led to the aforementioned establishment of the Irish state- which at this point did not include the Northern regions, which had by that point already had established a North-Eastern "Home Rule" parliament with a Unionist majority.

Then the troubles started and the IRA [in my view they are scum they killed innocent people and will never be anything like the original IRA] they fought for equal rights for Catholics in a very violent way and often bombed areas of Briton and Northern Ireland and killed many people they eventually signed a cease fire but splinter groups still run today who kill Innocent people.

The first incarnation of the IRA also killed innocent people. By conducting insurrection campaigns, they did target non-combatants in conflict- political figures, members of the police force and anyone else they saw as a bastion of British rule in Ireland. As, for that matter, did Unionist terrorist organisations like the Ulster Defence Force- commonly targeting Catholic civilians both in Northern Ireland and in the Republic. Since the full implementation of the Peace Process in 1998 and the re-establishment of a separate Irish parliamentary institution with close links to the Republic, but technically still part of the United Kingdom. This has pleased the vast majority of the IRA and it's splinter groups- but not all of them; similarly, it's been a good enough compromise for most aspects of the Loyalist/Unionist terrorist network, but not all of it. The problem is thus- the IRA splinter groups- Óglaigh na hÉireann, Continuity IRA and the Real IRA- haven't been satisfied- and they've been supplied clandestinely with weapons and explosives by other powers, principally Libya until very recently. Then again, both the Ulster Volunteer Force and Ulster Defence Force are still operating to some extent inside Ireland. Of these groups, only the IRA splinters have conducted or attempted to conduct large-scale attacks in Northern Ireland, and do possess the aspiration to attack England proper. With the exception of one of the so-called "Óglaigh na hÉireann" organisations (there are at least two, both a PIRA and CIRA splinter group), though, their intentions- and those of the Unionist paramilitary forces- have changed from being purely political, to operating closer to organised criminal gangs. These days, they tend to conduct activities such as the killing, robbing or maiming of drug dealers apparently conducting their activities on "their territory", and conducting robberies against businesses. There have also been incidents of attacks from both sides on innocent civilians of the other political or religious beliefs- Loyalists attacking Catholics and Republicans attacking Protestants. It's still far from resolved, but both sides are equally as guilty in my view. The Republicans have certainly caused more casualties, but they're numerically larger and have been the ones conducting limited warfare and the Unionists and British have responded to that- so that's no unexpected.

glenn tha killer
  • glenn tha killer

Irish.

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:14 PM

ok thanks man ill add them in icon14.gif

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom
    Best Debater 2013
    Best Debater 2012
    Best Debater 2011

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (glenn tha killer @ Wednesday, Nov 2 2011, 21:14)

You didn't need to add them in that way (bit too late now, though)- D&D is a free-for-all for personal views and opinions, interesting ideas and principals and the suchlike! Those were just my opinions, I'm sure others will probably dispute them!

glenn tha killer
  • glenn tha killer

Irish.

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Wednesday, Nov 2 2011, 20:29)

You didn't need to add them in that way (bit too late now, though)- D&D is a free-for-all for personal views and opinions, interesting ideas and principals and the suchlike! Those were just my opinions, I'm sure others will probably dispute them!

it is an example of a valid point not like the other guy he didn't build on what I said or answer the question

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom
    Best Debater 2013
    Best Debater 2012
    Best Debater 2011

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (glenn tha killer @ Wednesday, Nov 2 2011, 21:35)
QUOTE (sivispacem @ Wednesday, Nov 2 2011, 20:29)

it is an example of a valid point not like the other guy he didn't build on what I said or answer the question

This section of the forum isn't about answering a question, though. It's more about just contributing views information and presenting arguments.

glenn tha killer
  • glenn tha killer

Irish.

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:19 PM

ok sorry

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

UK owns them if you want a specific answer. You can't argue that at all lol..

myhame
  • myhame

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

Yes, they are a member of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Ireland should be taken under our control again. There were never any abuses as the ones the Irish and their idiotic descdents living in America such as the replier in this topic. I must ask you, you have Scottish blood, Irvding? That signifies that you are, in fact, a Briton. How could you support not having a unified British Isles?

General Goose
  • General Goose

Because Jeb Bush is all in my house with disease.

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

The reasons Ireland should be independent are as follows:
A) It's perfectly happy being independent
B) We're perfectly happy it being independent.

myhame
  • myhame

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (General Goose @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 19:13)

I, am not.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (myhame @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 14:09)
Yes, they are a member of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Ireland should be taken under our control again. There were never any abuses as the ones the Irish and their idiotic descdents living in America such as the replier in this topic. I must ask you, you have Scottish blood, Irvding? That signifies that you are, in fact, a Briton. How could you support not having a unified British Isles?

Yes, my family is descended almost entirely (75%) from the British Isles as you call them. I am mostly Irish with some Scottish and English in me... my grandfather is Scottish/English and his family came to the US in the 1600s to live in Maryland under Lord Baltimore because of their persecution as Catholics. The rest of my family is German, Norwegian, etc, and I don't identify with those countries because it is such a small amount of my lineage. I identify primarily as Irish and Scottish... if you really want to, you can call me British, I don't care much. Your hypernationalistic, imperialist bullsh*t you are spreading around is frankly getting tiring.

And are you joking? British never did anything bad to the Irish? Do you know what the black and tans did to Irish people? Women were raped, young girls, my great grandmother one of them. Go spew your bullsh*t to the BNP or whatever other wackjob organization out there.

General Goose
  • General Goose

Because Jeb Bush is all in my house with disease.

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (myhame @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 19:17)
QUOTE (General Goose @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 19:13)

I, am not.

You're in a minority, then.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom
    Best Debater 2013
    Best Debater 2012
    Best Debater 2011

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (myhame @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 20:09)

I don't usually try and censor people with valid opinions in this section of the forum, but please do some actual research into what you are talking about, because you come across as a poorly-educated, self-righteous and pointlessly-nationalist imbecile. Seriously, explain to me where these view are coming from and what justification you have for holding and supporting them, because they're not only factually inaccurate and very juvenile, but they're also quite offensive.

glenn tha killer
  • glenn tha killer

Irish.

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (myhame @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 19:09)

stop your offensive crap I told people that I didnt want that also that is just plain stupidity as the other guy said do some research icon13.gif

Talakua
  • Talakua

1%

• Members

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:42 PM

Rightly or wrongly, Northern Ireland is part of the UK politically. And at the end of the day, the majority of people of NI have let bygones be bygones, they are happy with the arrangement at present and want no more violence. End of discussion as far as im concerned. These IRA splinter groups have no credibility in the eyes of the general public, and are effectively just a self-serving, camo clad mafia who dont give a damn about the people of NI. The sooner these assholes are stamped out the better it will be for these islands of ours.

myhame
  • myhame

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:14 AM Edited by sivispacem, 09 November 2011 - 09:19 AM.

Why won't Ireland just become in the Commonwealth at least?

- No one-line posts. Another faux pas to add to the ever increasing list -

Bad Girls
  • Bad Girls

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

I think it should be 101% up to the people who live in Northern Ireland, whether they want to be part of the UK, part of the Irish Republic or even their own little country altogether.

I really don't think people who live in the mainland of the UK, Republic of Ireland or anywhere else like many of the so-called "Irish-Americans" in the USA for that matter should have an opinion (one that 'counts' at least). Why should people who don't even live there have a say in what happens or even dictate what happens?

Of course, the issue is that the people there are very divided about what they want and it won't be completely resolved any time soon. IMO.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom
    Best Debater 2013
    Best Debater 2012
    Best Debater 2011

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (Bad Girls @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 22:17)
I think it should be 101% up to the people who live in Northern Ireland, whether they want to be part of the UK, part of the Irish Republic or even their own little country altogether.

I really don't think people who live in the mainland of the UK, Republic of Ireland or anywhere else like many of the so-called "Irish-Americans" in the USA for that matter should have an opinion (one that 'counts' at least). Why should people who don't even live there have a say in what happens or even dictate what happens?

Of course, the issue is that the people there are very divided about what they want and it won't be completely resolved any time soon. IMO.

The problem is this- Northern Ireland is very factional. There appears to be a pretty even split between those who want to remain part of the UK (Unionists/Loyalists) and those who want to be part of the Irish Republic (Republicans). The Republic, on the whole, couldn't give a toss- they don't care either way. Under the current establishment, the only individuals who are involved in large-scale violence are the Republican splinter groups, armed with Libyan-supplied weapons and explosives. However, if the tables were turned and the Six Counties became part of the Republic, then all you'd have is the Loyalist paramilitary organisations conducting a guerilla campaign against the Irish mainland in order to re-establish connections with the Union. It's one of those Catch 22s which is always going to leave one group marginalised and prone to sectarian violence.

Bad Girls
  • Bad Girls

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 21:29)
QUOTE (Bad Girls @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 22:17)

The problem is this- Northern Ireland is very factional. There appears to be a pretty even split between those who want to remain part of the UK (Unionists/Loyalists) and those who want to be part of the Irish Republic (Republicans). The Republic, on the whole, couldn't give a toss- they don't care either way. Under the current establishment, the only individuals who are involved in large-scale violence are the Republican splinter groups, armed with Libyan-supplied weapons and explosives. However, if the tables were turned and the Six Counties became part of the Republic, then all you'd have is the Loyalist paramilitary organisations conducting a guerilla campaign against the Irish mainland in order to re-establish connections with the Union. It's one of those Catch 22s which is always going to leave one group marginalised and prone to sectarian violence.

I know. Hence my last line.

I just notice that there's a lot of people who don't even live in Northern Ireland who sound off thinking they're qualified to state what's best for the region when they don't even live there. Republicans from the south think they have an automatic geographic and historical "right" to it, people with Unionist sympathies in the mailand UK have some idealistic view of it being part of the UK and everyone living happily ever when that's clearly not the case either.

If this is ever gonna be resolved the least that should be done is everyone else butting out.

glenn tha killer
  • glenn tha killer

Irish.

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

it was our county at first,but yes its too much of a mess and to be honest if we didn't create it why should we be responsible or try to free it, all the same if someone in the north considers them selves Irish I accept it and consider them Irish the same with the lads who are British.

myhame
  • myhame

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:10 PM Edited by sivispacem, 16 November 2011 - 11:36 PM.

Enough.

leaflinks
  • leaflinks

Peon

• Members

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

Northern Ireland is still a complicated territory.

During the problems in the last century, all the IDF soldiers were withdrawn from the couple of UN peacekeeping missions in 1974 for four years and sent to the border, to protect the rest of the country from the problems in that province whilst the British military was stationed there.

Though the government had plans to send in soldiers to protect the catholic community, it would of lead to somewhere else but most likely the government probably remembered president De Valera's statement that he spoke to a crowd on the 50th anniversary of the Easter Rising in April 1966. Eitherway, Prime minister Lynch was correct to agree to a movement of soldiers into the province.

user posted image

^President De Valera, he was very old when in office, was in his 80's. Two term president. Fourteen years. 1959-1973. Met President Johnson and also spoke to the congress in 1964.

He said in April 1966 - "A real friendship that would stand the test, because in the long run the fate of these two islands, the people's of these two neighbouring islands, is likely to be the same, ultimately we must go our different ways, have our different intellectual and spiritual ideas. But materially and otherwise these two islands to a large extent set by nature here off the coast of Europe and they are destined to be neighbours and they should be friends."

When Eamon De Valera was PM in the 30's, 40's, he would again in the fifties, PM churchill offered the North back, but the deal was send Irish soldiers to fight the white race empire in Europe. Which he would not agree to.

His statement as president was very progressive compared to his radio address during his time as PM, to PM Churchill after world war 2, May 1945. Put the question to him, why should we have fought with an empire that did what it did. World war 2 was about competing empires.

The way history goes, and the events that shape our ancestors and ultimately our own in where we live to day. So it was a fair point at the time, but it looks very different today.

The former president Mary McAleese, during her two terms as president 1997-2011, her optional theme as president was "building bridges", a noble way of trying to create a bridge for the communities to walk across and be one, with their differences, but live in calm and cause. President McAleese was a very different president than her predecessors, the time and attitude was different in the past. As well as the office has changed to include a president to make a mark in the country domestically.

user posted image

Though one thing could faulted with the previous president, she didn't remind the government that possibly an election should of taken place in 2004, she was never elected. The government decided with the help of the other parties to not have an election. That ment that a few independent candidates could not contest in an election.

Personally if you want my view, I'm a nationalist living in England, I more interested in English renaissance than a Union or Kingdom an English state, a nation of our own.

Thanks for reading.

Vercetti27
  • Vercetti27

Staunton Faction

• Members

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:38 PM

Has there ever been an idea to split up the catholics in NE with the protestants? The idea of NE is that it is for people who want to be part of britian is what I've assumed. But catholics and republicans want to live where they come from in NE without being persecuted for having a different religion, so they won't leave. There are protestant areas of belfast and catholic areas, but I think there is often violence between the different neighbourhoods, especially during that Orange march of whatever its called.

The ideal solution would be to make NE independent from both Ireland and Britain , although I'm sure there are thousands of possible disadvantages.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom
    Best Debater 2013
    Best Debater 2012
    Best Debater 2011

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (Vercetti27 @ Monday, Nov 21 2011, 19:38)
Has there ever been an idea to split up the catholics in NE with the protestants?

That's basically how NI looks right now. Belfast has changed a lot since the early-mid 1990s (I have family on both sides of the border), and it's regained some modicum of normality, but it's still like being in Southern Israel or Baghdad. There are 30-foot-high razor-wire and steel-reinforced-concrete walls 3 feet thick separating some Catholic communities from Protestant ones. There are big metal gates that can be drawn across major thoroughfares that can be used to physical segregate communities in times of trouble. It's very alien to most mainland British citizens. Doesn't work that well, either. You can't segregate communities in that way without some kind of agreed national or political border, and that just doesn't exist.

glenn tha killer
  • glenn tha killer

Irish.

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

I think now that it should be left the way it is.

leaflinks
  • leaflinks

Peon

• Members

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (glenn tha killer @ Sunday, Jan 8 2012, 13:51)
I think now that it should be left the way it is.

How long do you think that would remain that way?

Do you think that the Irish state would ever be in a position like Israel? Sort of having a defensive military strategy towards the North? That would be a twisted possbility for those that want an independent England.

But that question cannot be answered unless the Union between England, Scotland and Nothern Ireland changes, and not forgetting the English-Welsh union.

TheTrikstar
  • TheTrikstar

Skank!

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:28 AM Edited by sivispacem, 23 January 2012 - 12:44 PM.

PIRA. Tiocfaidh Ar La. Up the RA

-Warned- SVP-

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users