» «
Photo

Cropping/Cutting out an image.

6 replies to this topic
XTREME0235
  • XTREME0235

Aviation Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:41 AM Edited by XTREME0235, 30 October 2011 - 05:45 AM.

Hey there,
Not sure if a topic exists on this already, if so then please direct me to it.

so I was wondering if there is a way of cutting out an image from another image in a clean way if you will. Every time I cut out an image from another one I always use the polygonal lasso tool because I feel that it is easier for me, to avoid getting edges/corners etc becoming pixely, I use the Refine Edge
(user posted image) tool and edit those properties.

Sure this is good enough for me but there are times where it doesn't do the job perfectly, so I was wondering if there is a much simpler or easier way to get smooth edges/corners of a cut out image as though there was no background behind it originally and having to put a slight blur on the borders of the cut out image.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:36 AM

Create a shape of the actual image using pen tool, and then mask the original image into it, not really the easiest method but gets you the best result.

XTREME0235
  • XTREME0235

Aviation Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:24 AM

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the pen tool as I have only used it once and I don't get how to use it.
I thought I would look up some tutorial videos but I keep getting side tracked.

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

Narcis is right, you get extremely superior selections with the pen tool. It's a little bit dubious at the start, but keep practicing cutting out objects and it'll all begin to come to you.

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:24 AM

Leave the tutorials aside, and experiment yourself, is far easier this way.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

I'm a convert from the lasso to the pen tool. I think the pen tool is one of those things that always seems a bit intimidatingly complex if you're self taught. Here's the last thing I did with the lasso tool, just look how jagged and pointy the corners are. Then look at this, one of my vector works since I switched over to the pen tool. Everything's a lot smoother, and the feather option you get when finalising a selection can help smoothen the transition from your object to the background to give you a good shape when you're cutting out.

(They're both in their original resolutions btw, so don't think the second was all jaggy but then I resized it to get rid of them, which is how I handled the first one tounge.gif )

The Guru
  • The Guru

Ghetto Star

• The Connection

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:39 PM

The pen tool is quite easy to get used to. Just play around with it for awhile and you'll get the hang of it. wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users