Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:51 AM

Hey, my current setup is:

i5 2500 @ 3,7 GHz
asrock p67
sapphire HD6950 @ HD6970 2GB VRAM
8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz

and i am wondering, why ffs i can't max the graphics out and play smoothly. This game is 3 years old, come on...
Well of course i can set all values to very high and push sliders to the limit, but game becomes unplayable. These are the highest settings that let me play under reasonable framerate:

http://i.imgur.com/XGqjf.jpg

I have read tons of guides/tips for better performance and such, but they are mostly outdated and don't really contribute to my problem (most of them are for people who can't play damn game at all).

Some additional info:

I am running on Windows 7 Pro. I have just installed this OS a couple of days ago, so it's not an issue with old/outdated drivers, viruses, trojans etc. I have newest drivers for my graphic card. My PSU is OCZ stealthxstream 2 600W.

I would be grateful for any reasonable feedback on my problem.

YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:38 AM

Have you installed the latest updates?

Patch 7: http://support.rocks...-0-5-2-japanese

AMD drivers: http://sites.amd.com...on_win7-64.aspx

Also, undo the 6970 flash. It might not be stable for you. Try to go back to the 6950 and see if it actually is a stability issue.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:46 AM

Turn off Night Shadows, they are very resource intensive and they are actually (IMO) pretty ugly.
Also, turn down the sliders to about 30/30 or something.
The difference between sliders 50 and 100 is zilch wink.gif

surxenberg
  • surxenberg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:22 AM

you can max out the game but it won't run at 60 FPS.

Really, not even a 4.0 GHz Sandy Bridge with GTX580OC can max out the game and keep it at a steady 60 FPS.

snk
  • snk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the replies.

@YankeesPwnMets

Yes, i have both my gta (steam version) and amd drivers up to date. I may undo the bios swap, but the sole reason of it was performance in gta ; - )

@Exxon

I noticed that setting Night shadows to 'very high' messes the game completely, stutter every second, just unplayable. And i wonder, is it CPU dependent? Maybe i should get i7 and o/c it to 4,5 GHz at least. Is it possible, that current cpu is the bottleneck atm?

@surxenberg

I see, but the problem is i get horrible stuttering every second, fps drop from 60 to like ~15. It's this wide fluctuation that won't let me play.

Probably i will just have to lower the settings a bit to play comfortably, nevertheless i am hugely disappointed.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:43 PM

Buying an i7 over your current i5, only for IV, is totally unnecessary as this game can use 3 cores max. You wouldn't notice a single thing of difference in performance wink.gif

Yes, Night Shadows is heavily resource intensive. It are the shadows which come from the car's headlights. You should just turn it off, it's pretty ugly anyway. The performance you win is absolutely worth it.

Besides that, turn down the sliders and/or the normal shadows. That's worth it too icon14.gif

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Die Hoodrat DIE!!!

• Members

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:21 PM

also try turning off clip capture
but
only for IV, is totally unnecessary as this game can use 3 cores max.

i remember seeing several times gta IV showed benchmarks saying 87% on my quad core machines. and i know my q6600 was running rings around my x3 8600 when it was installed
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103269

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

Could be that another program (perhaps an AV) was using the rest?
Also, the benchmark is inaccurate and broken. You shouldn't trust it wink.gif

But it's really true, IV really uses only three cores whatsthat.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users