» «
Photo

GTA III/VC/SA 3ds max .dff importer

24 replies to this topic
seggaeman
  • seggaeman

Ace

• Members

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:20 AM Edited by seggaeman, 30 December 2011 - 06:57 PM.

This is a 3ds max importer for GTA III/VC/SA .dff model files. Since it's a compiled plugin import speed is comparable to Zmodeler2 & it can handle large models.

UPDATE 26/10/2011 Added support for night vertex colors.

Night vertex color and alpha are imported to mapping channels 3 and 4 (x-coordinate only) respectively; let me know if you are able to view and edit the information.

Instructions

In addition to 3ds max you need to have .NET framework 4 and Max.NET installed.
You will also need Kam's gta_material.ms which is included with his scripts.

Download the Max.NET installer here.
http://www.ephere.co.../downloads.html

Download Kam's 3ds max scripts here.
http://www.gtagarage...how.php?id=9172

But it's important to note that the plugin will not work with versions prior to 3ds max 9 since they do not have in-built support for the .NET framework.

Copy GTADffImporter.dll into <3ds max root folder>\plugins. It's advisable to run 3ds max as administrator; sometimes it didn't work when this step was omitted.

The plugin is accessible from the utilities tab: Expand the "Utilities" rollout and click the "More... " button. In the list you should find an entry for "GTA DFF importer".

The utility brings up a dialog. Click the "open" button to choose a file. One or more numbers will appear in the listbox; these represent clumps in the .dff file. The numbers are the offsets(i.e addresses) of the clumps relative to the beginning of the file. Select one of them and click the "Import" button to perform the import.

Most .dffs are single clump.

Features

Imports GTA III, Vice City and GTA SA models.
Imports materials, normals, both UV maps and vertex colors.
Limited support for peds: mesh is imported but bones are represented by dummy nodes.
UV and other animations not supported.
2dfx not supported.
Does not import collision data.

Dingleman
  • Dingleman

SA:LC Mod Leader

• Members

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:13 AM

Ah, nice one seggaeman. I'll definately have to check this out tomorrow.

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

what makes this more special then the already released DFF importer / exporters ??

seggaeman
  • seggaeman

Ace

• Members

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:41 AM Edited by seggaeman, 01 November 2011 - 05:09 PM.

It imports stuff made in Zmodeler.

DimZet13
  • DimZet13

Please set me Modders

• Members

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:51 PM

please create dff VC(PS2) Importer

pmillett
  • pmillett

The Dragon King

• Members

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:51 PM Edited by pmillett, 22 December 2011 - 09:56 PM.

This is a good tool... However, I feel you should take into consideration protecting the models that are locked. It's nice to import models into 3ds Max that were made in Zmodeler and ZModeler2, but will you protect locked models out of respect for the modelers that made them?

fastman92
  • fastman92

фастман92 | ف

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (pmillett @ Thursday, Dec 22 2011, 21:51)
This is a good tool... However, I feel you should take into consideration protecting the models that are locked. It's nice to import models into 3ds Max that were made in Zmodeler and ZModeler2, but will you protect locked models out of respect for the modelers that made them?

I don't really think it's a good idea. Though what's wrong if someone opens your DFF that is for free anyway. If someone can open DFF, it may be improved especially when no domage parts were made. Even taking someone's hard work isn't a reason to block DFF as everyone is unknown and anonymous on internet. We don't glory anyone for making mods it is wrong to try to get rid of the mod reuse by another.

pmillett
  • pmillett

The Dragon King

• Members

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:39 AM

Well, if the author gives permission then have them send the model unlocked if they can. People are going to use other people's work without permission regardless as some just don't have respect for them. If it's locked it should remain so unless you actually have permission since with permission you don't have to worry about having to bypass the lock anyway,

seggaeman
  • seggaeman

Ace

• Members

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:57 PM Edited by seggaeman, 26 December 2011 - 06:34 PM.

Actually the problem is that if I implement recognition of the Zmodeler2 locking system, files generated by at least one other tool won't import correctly. I know someone who created a PS2 to PC .dff converter and the files generated won't import in Zmodeler2, because they were "locked" unintentionally. And because of the way this locking system works, this issue can arise with Kam's exporter as well

Another alternative is to use the "non standard .dff" workaround, but if I do that no Zmodeler file will import. It will defeat the purpose of the tool as I see it.

It remains though that I have ceased work on the .NET version of the importer, if there are going to be further updates they will only apply to the native SDK plugin (also posted on gtagarage).

Pmilett if you or anyone else would like to have locking for this tool I'll supply you the source code.

Btw an exporter is coming.

XEPOMAHT007
  • XEPOMAHT007

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:46 PM

any plans to support import bump mapping from dff gta3?

user posted image

_Rob_
  • _Rob_

Game Dev, Graphics Artist

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

GTA 3 Bump maps? What is this? Why haven't I heard of it wow.gif

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

Have you driven a Ford... Lately?

• Feroci Racing
  • Australia

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:07 AM

Is He Talking About Collision? It looks like the person is falling through the fence.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:35 AM

QUOTE (ALMOST610 @ Monday, Dec 26 2011, 21:07)
Is He Talking About Collision? It looks like the person is falling through the fence.

He wasn't talking about colision, he was talking about Bump Maps.

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

• Feroci Racing
  • Australia

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:38 AM

Well perhaps someone will explain what a Bump Map is bammargera questioned it, it is clear that I do not know what it is, can you enlighten us then?

seggaeman
  • seggaeman

Ace

• Members

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:18 PM

A bump map makes an object appear to have an irregular surface (even though actual geometry may be flat). @ XEPOMAT007 Are you sure gta 3 models support it? Send me a sample model if you have 1.
I wasn't aware of this.

Vicolaships
  • Vicolaships

SCM + IFP

• Members

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:57 PM

Download link down !
I would like to give a try smile.gif

seggaeman
  • seggaeman

Ace

• Members

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

Use the "Download mod" button on gtagarage.

http://www.gtagarage...ow.php?id=16737

You may also want to check this importer; it has more capabilities. I've stopped updating the Max.NET tool.

http://www.gtagarage...ow.php?id=18572

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

• Feroci Racing
  • Australia

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:27 AM

Perhaps you could also try and add support for GTA IV, as far as I know there is no Max Script for IV and it would be a welcome from plenty of modders who dont like using Zmod.
Could you look into it Seggaeman?

seggaeman
  • seggaeman

Ace

• Members

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

I would have liked to, but there are two hurdles. My pc is not good enough to run GTA IV, plus I don't have knowledge of the .wft file format. I guess it's .wft you are talking of since Shadow's plugins and GIMS can do WDR.

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

• Feroci Racing
  • Australia

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:45 AM

I myself am not to familiar with GTA IV file formats either but on the event that a Max Script is available I would get into modding and playing around with it then.

I think that ZMod might have import/export capabilities can you not reverse engineer that plugin and create a max script, all I can say is try and do what you can, and it will be more than I can comprehend, not sure how all these scripts and plugins work to begin with.

seggaeman
  • seggaeman

Ace

• Members

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:31 AM

These scripts and plugins are extensions to the modeling program. They are possible because the developer(s) of the modeling program made provision for them through what you call an API (applications programming interface). Now these tools can be of two types

(a) Scripts. Stored and run in text format itself, script instructions are evaluated/compiled by the scripting engine each time they are executed. Often use a language specific to the modeling program (e.g. MAXScript). Reverse engineering isn't so complex unless they are encrypted.

(b) Compiled plugins. These are developed using C++ or sometimes .NET languages and are typically implemented as a .dll. This describes my tool as well as the Zmodeler filters. The .dll contains mostly assembly instructions and data in binary format. If you don't have the original source code it's near impossible to reverse engineer. whatsthat.gif

In this case it may be easier to do it by analyzing the game files instead. Too bad those who've done it already already don't want to share their knowledge.

Apache Thunder
  • Apache Thunder

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:52 AM

Hey seggaeman, any possibility of adding an option to the importer to choose between the "standard" max material and the "GTA Material".

The reason being that some scripts I'm working with don't recognize the "GTA Material" and if the objects were imported with the standard max material I can work with them more easily. I can convert them manually, but this is extremely time consuming since I will lose the texture information for each material I change the material type on. I would have to then redefine what texture file each material will use if I go that route. sad.gif

flame1251
  • flame1251

Flame

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:48 PM Edited by flame1251, 19 February 2014 - 05:03 PM.

Sorry for writing in old thread.

On Windows 7 64-bit I faced with the problem (on XP and, it seems, 7 34-bit all OK) - when I import DFF (GTA SA format), textures displaying incorrectly (for example, one of texture mapped on the whole object). How to fix this?

Plugin was installed correctly (I have copied DffImporter_2010x64 to 3ds Max\plugins, GTA_Material.ms to Scripts\Startup).

seggaeman
  • seggaeman

Ace

• Members

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:50 AM

Tell me what 3ds max version you are using. Send me also a sample file by PM.

• flame1251 likes this

flame1251
  • flame1251

Flame

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:01 AM Edited by flame1251, 20 February 2014 - 09:47 AM.

seggaeman, I forgot say about the version: 3ds Max 2011 x64. And problems like that only with my new DFF, but textures correctly displayed in original game and when I import it with Kam's script - all is OK too (but when I import with Kam's script - prelight will be broken).

By the way, thanks for your plugins. These are best GTA .DFF plugins for 3ds Max. I have send file in PM.

UPD. Same problem and on XP (3ds Max 2011 32-bit). It turns out my DFF somehow damaged. :(

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users