» «
Photo

Dan Houser @ "Possible" Darkel Mission

18 replies to this topic
Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

I think one mission got removed. There was a non-interactive jumbo jet, just to give some life to the sky, that looked like it could pass through a building. That got adjusted, and a few lines of radio dialogue in the talk show. We were really very sensitive to stuff though because we'd watched on our doorstep, you know?

People said that it was a dodo, turned out to be a Jumbo jet. What do you think?

Source: http://pc.ign.com/ar.../1210042p1.html

Thunderfuckrapist
  • Thunderfuckrapist

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:27 PM

Did you not read it? A NON INTERACTIVE jumbo jet. He means the the ones that circle the city the entire time. It LOOKED like it could pass through a building. Probably the flight path was a bit low and they changed it for obvious reasons. The removed mission hes talking about was something completely different.

OmeXr
  • OmeXr

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:44 PM

"Probably the flight path was a bit low and they changed it for obvious reasons"

they did indeed.

if you look at beta screens, you can see that dodo was flying much more low than the final version.

and for the mission thing, i think there was atleast 20 missions got removed.

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:18 AM

That's right - around 20 mission were removed, according to very reliable source - Gouranga.com.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

Grand Theft Auto III Chain Game Former Chief

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:44 AM

People who think it was a Dodo are wrong indeed.

The jumbo jets are the one we still can see landing and taking off in Francis Intl. Airport.

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (OnePiece @ Saturday, Oct 22 2011, 22:27)
Did you not read it? A NON INTERACTIVE jumbo jet. He means the the ones that circle the city the entire time. It LOOKED like it could pass through a building. Probably the flight path was a bit low and they changed it for obvious reasons. The removed mission hes talking about was something completely different.

Ah well. I looked at it a totally different perspective. sad.gif

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

Sometimes happens, pal biggrin.gif

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:11 AM

im sure the jumbo jets where flyable until 9/11. Look in the manual and it says on the "ways to get around page": By plane.

It shows a pic of the jet also.
Maybe they were flyable.

user posted image

Dingleman
  • Dingleman

SA:LC Mod Leader

• Members

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:31 AM

That looks like the airtrain that is in the final game to me. I'm pretty sure it's based on a Boeing 727, which I recall being a mid-sized aircraft rather than a jumbo jet.

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (ccrogers15 @ Monday, Oct 24 2011, 23:11)
im sure the jumbo jets where flyable until 9/11. Look in the manual and it says on the "ways to get around page": By plane.

Maybe they were flyable.

The jumbo jets are just scenery, as in GTA IV. The lack of solidity in tall buildings and the ghost city suggest a map that was never intended to be explored by flight. If they had intended flight they would have completed collision models to make everything solid, and if they had suddenly removed flight after 9/11 they wouldn't have spent the little time they had removing the solid surfaces because what would be the point?

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (ccrogers15 @ Tuesday, Oct 25 2011, 08:11)

Of course you can fly - but only by Dodo! I guess that picture was just put in for greatness of it, you were never intended to man or at least enter the airtrain.

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

It's a long way to the top

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Tuesday, Oct 25 2011, 14:35)
QUOTE (ccrogers15 @ Tuesday, Oct 25 2011, 08:11)

Of course you can fly - but only by Dodo! I guess that picture was just put in for greatness of it, you were never intended to man or at least enter the airtrain.

The airtrains have handling files, collisions, and wheel sizes. All you would have to do is replace the airtrain dff to one with door dummies (the original one wink.gif ) and you could theoretically fly them. The exe treats them as objects so the game crashes if you actually try this, but one could assume that this was changed at a later date. My guess is that for 9/11 they removed the big planes' flyability so we wouldn't have a terrorist simulator. It's also possible that the skyscrapers were originally solid, but that this was removed on purpose... (this would take someone maybe a few hours to change for the entire game, so it's possible they did this).

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

I think that fireguy is right, anyways!

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:52 PM

I agree with Magic_Al. If you have been inn the GTA: LC project as long as I had, you will see that there is no way R* had any plans to implement proper aircrafts in GTA III. There are just too many buildings that don't even have a roof to them.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Tuesday, Oct 25 2011, 12:59)

Maybe they were flyable.

The jumbo jets are just scenery, as in GTA IV. The lack of solidity in tall buildings and the ghost city suggest a map that was never intended to be explored by flight. If they had intended flight they would have completed collision models to make everything solid, and if they had suddenly removed flight after 9/11 they wouldn't have spent the little time they had removing the solid surfaces because what would be the point?

And also what about the Ghost town? If flight had been a full feature, they wouldn't have made it so easily reachable. It seems flight was always limited, probably to keep development costs and time down.

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Tuesday, Oct 25 2011, 12:59)

Maybe they were flyable.

the plane may of been drivable anyways along with the dodo and helicopters. The helicopters may of been made solid, the dodo was crippled and the planes were made unsolid. In GTA LCS the plane is fully solid but if you touch the wheels you die.

I would love to see the full GTA 3 beta leak one day...

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:37 PM

Man, there was no ability to do this -.- Only dodo.

irganc
  • irganc

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

Liberty city was never ment to be seen from top down. But why r* created plane and then choped it's wings and made in almoust unflyable?

By the way, if plane or car is flyable it's not writen in handling.cfg or in default.ide, so is it in gta-3.exe?

Maybe planes were flyable, but Liberty city was halfmade and noboady wanted to finish it or recreate, so they removed option to fly planes, but didn't wanted to compleatly waste flying so they left dodo just for skilled pilots to fly.

For making gta3 flyable you just don't need to create some .dff, .txd and .col, but you need to change physics and the way how map is shoving (if you've used mods for geting wery high, you know what i mean).

Gta3 was made by humans, so they just choosed easier way to solve problems with flying.

Heihachi_73
  • Heihachi_73

Hey! My cab!!

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

The picture in the instruction manual seems to point that they may have wanted to include the Airtrain as a form of transport from each island, just like the subway. The screenshot also looks like it's in cinematic mode, just like the subway again.

About the Dodo, the game engine doesn't care that a "vehicle" has its wings chopped or whether it even has wings to begin with (e.g. flying cars cheat), the only reason the Dodo isn't easily flyable is because the flying physics (e.g. handling.cfg) was probably altered to make it harder. Notice how the Dodo is top-heavy and will practically always land on its roof/wings if it crashes or goes out of control? Same thing. I will bet that they made it touchy just so it will do a barrel roll if you tilt he stick to its maximum. You can do the same thing with a car's steering in handling.cfg - make a car turn on a dime, or make it have a turning circle of a football field.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users