Photo

Work Experience

27 replies to this topic
Slingaa
  • Slingaa

Unbowed, unbent, unbroken.

• Members

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:35 PM

Work experience is coming up soon in my school and I was wondering what everyone on GTAF did for their work experience (if anything).

I'm also pretty stuck on what to do for my work experience. I like business studies and I'd love to do something business-oriented, but I'm not sure what. I was thinking of applying at a book publishers, as I enjoy reading. Any suggestions?

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

I worked in a supermarket for a week. But then again, I have no aspirations.

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

I worked in an architects for two weeks, 90% of the people I worked with were either sh*t boring or douche-bags

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (OchyGTA @ Tuesday, Oct 11 2011, 16:38)
I worked in an architects for two weeks, 90% of the people I worked with were either sh*t boring or douche-bags

Welcome to the world of architecture. Corporate architecture, anyway. Residential architecture tends to have the really interesting people in it. That, or your just a a bit difficult to get along with. I did mine, many years ago, and worked for a regional newspaper. It was brain-bleedingly boring. A mate of mine did his at an engineering company, which he thoroughly enjoyed. Apparently, he spent all his time pissing about with CNC milling machines and chatting about cars. Oddly, he's now an architect.

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Tuesday, Oct 11 2011, 15:43)
QUOTE (OchyGTA @ Tuesday, Oct 11 2011, 16:38)

Welcome to the world of architecture. Corporate architecture, anyway. Residential architecture tends to have the really interesting people in it.
That, or your just a a bit difficult to get along with wink.gif

I did mine, many years ago, and worked for a regional newspaper. It was brain-bleedingly boring.

Lol, it was what put me off of wanting to be an architect knowing I'd have to work with people like that. A local newspaper sounds really dull though

WF the Hobgoblin
  • WF the Hobgoblin

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (mark-2007 @ Tuesday, Oct 11 2011, 16:36)
I worked in a supermarket for a week. But then again, I have no aspirations.

Same here.

bluesboyjr
  • bluesboyjr

Founder of the Zee Memorial Foundation

• Members

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

In a library. I was all books n' sh*t.

02fishera
  • 02fishera

PSN ID: TeamTango91

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

I worked in the head office of a housing company, doing various tasks such as filing, photocopying etc. I also got to help out with designing a design board for some conference that was coming up at the time.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:10 PM

Old peoples home. Mainly because I didn't find my own placement and some girl in my class was to pussy to do it just because her friends grandmother lived there. Which it turned out this grandmother was the most coherent of everyone in that place so I've no idea why she didn't go. I didn't really enjoy the place itself, couldn't do much due to the regulations with working with old people. Mainly sat and talked to the residents, which some had really interesting stories. The place was also haunted, and it was actually built on one of these old borstal homes for boys back in the day. Was actually pretty sweet on my last day there I got to go round with the groundskeeper of the care home since he had the key and some of the stories I heard were pretty scary. Oh and not to mention the obvious story about rape/sexual abuse in the head masters room and apparently where he kept boys in cupboards while he abused another.

Swoorup
  • Swoorup

innovator

• Feroci
  • Nepal

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

I have not had any work experience nor have I been able to find out what I am capable of.

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:54 PM

I don't know if it works the same way there as here but right now I'm at a car dealer in the sales department two days a week (Thursday-Friday). It's sort of business oriented and great fun. Great people to work with aswell.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Wales

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:56 PM

I did programming, since I want to be a game programmer.

I did ask Rockstar North and other Rockstar companies but they do not do it.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

I worked in a nursery for posh parents to dump their kids in while they go to work until noon, drink cocktails and then f*ck the gardener. I have a feeling that it'd be good money if it was a proper job as these kids were well trained - not one cheep out of any of them. I remember getting sent to the "baby room" to pick up somebody's kid. It was a little something like that scene out of The Simpsons where Homer goes to pick up Maggie and it's just a room full of babies sucking on pacifiers. Creepy, but fun.

Come to think of it, how they agreed to let a 15 year old near a bunch of vulnerable children is still a mystery to me.

Lithium
  • Lithium

Deathdealer

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:29 PM

In high school I did my work experience at the local youth prison, which I later ended up working at.

In College, I did it with the Sherriffs who did transfers and provided security for the court where I lived at the time.

Both were great experiences.

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:31 PM

I told my school i was working in a flower shop, which my uncle actually owned, and worked with a different uncle loading wagons and getting paid, was pretty good imo.

GTAspotter
  • GTAspotter

Middle Park East/Rockford Hills Resident

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:42 PM

I worked in an estate agents... i didn't really do much except listen to them swear, and go on facebook..

SuperVeloce
  • SuperVeloce

Paramore <3

• Members

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:55 PM

I worked in a café... about all there is to say really. One thing it did teach me though is how much I missed school...

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Daddy's back, bitches!

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:29 PM

I was going to gain work experience in the police force but since the school were the people who were arranging the work experience (and they had to run health and safety checks and all of the rest of the red tape that gets in the way of progress) everything fell fowl in the end and instead the school said I could get experience as a lawyer, woo great. sarcasm.gif

So I just gained experience in a youth centre instead run by the local church in my area. One year later and I now work for said youth group. smile.gif Though now we are really feeling the pinch of the economic downturn and we are very low on money. We have to appeal to charities and local groups for more funding (since the council has slashed the amount of money that they were paying into youth centres within Bristol by over a half), so we now have resorted to fundraising for more money. sad.gif

Mr.Mister
  • Mr.Mister

Capt. Downtown

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:50 AM

I never did the work experience thing... couldnt be bothered. I made paper selling 'product' and also working part time at the local pharmacy. Go figure sarcasm.gif

Im unemployed right now and it sucks

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:36 AM Edited by finn4life, 12 October 2011 - 02:57 AM.

QUOTE (Mr.Mister @ Wednesday, Oct 12 2011, 12:50)
I never did the work experience thing... couldnt be bothered. I made paper selling 'product' and also working part time at the local pharmacy. Go figure  sarcasm.gif

Im unemployed right now and it sucks

Yeah i didn't do work experience, my beliefs were "why do something and not get paid when i could get a real job" which i did do, most of my friends said they just stood around anyway.
I thought it smarter to just get a job, that way i got paid.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:46 AM

Not really sure what the OP is talking about. Some sort of school related job thing?

Never did that. I just got a job.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE (Lurch @ Wednesday, Oct 12 2011, 13:46)
Not really sure what the OP is talking about. Some sort of school related job thing?

Work experience is school related, or usually is anyway, you could set it up yourself if you really wanted to.
ANyway you find an employer such as a cafe owner and the school organizes a time period for you to go work for the cafe owner, you don't get paid (not legally anyway) but you gain an insight into cafe life.

Note the cafe' was just an example.

Punk-in-Drublic
  • Punk-in-Drublic

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

I did my work experience at Pilkington Glass in the vehicle maintenace area fixing heavy duty vehicles like JCB's and stuff. It was pretty cool, I was only 15 or something, didn't really want to go back to school after 2 weeks of being covered in oil and sh*t haha.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:34 AM

I did mine at the local car garage, in only 2 weeks the mechanics there taught me quite a bit about the basics of car mechanics and i had a great time doing it aswell!

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [Gen Chat]

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (Lurch @ Tuesday, Oct 11 2011, 22:46)

Never did that. I just got a job.

Same.

The job I had while in high school I actually kept for about 9yrs. I spent 9yrs kissing the asses of rich people, local celebrities and sports figures. The job was for a specialty pet supply store(no pets - not a pet store). Aside from having to be a certified animal nutritionist, and vet tech, we were heavily trained in dealing with people, and that people training really helped me out later in life.

The shop itself was really cool. Even though it wasn't a pet store, we had our own free roaming animals in there which made for a great atmosphere. You'd be talking to someone and the iguana would just walk by, or the parrot would land near by. Local dogs would escape their yards and run to the shop and hang out - the owners would call and ask if their dog was there and stuff. Since our animals where all free roaming they would escape from time to time and people would be all happy and proud to return them.

Whether it be through a school program or just for spending money, I think having a part time job while in school is important. It really teaches you responsibility, the value of a dollar, and maybe even a few specific skills. It also furthers along your social learning.

Slingaa
  • Slingaa

Unbowed, unbent, unbroken.

• Members

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (Lurch @ Wednesday, Oct 12 2011, 03:46)

In a week in June, instead of going to school you get a job. It isn't optional, but if you fail to get yourself a placement then the school find one for you. Not the best option. You don't get paid for it, but it's a good chance to find out a bit more about what you want to do after leaving school. I already have a job, but it's not one I could do for five hours a day for a week.

I want to start my own book publishing company when I leave school (hopefully university) so I've applied to work at Bloomsbury Publishing, so fingers crossed. Thanks everyone for your insights on what you did.

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:54 AM

I spent a week at a music shop. It was fun, I just played on the various guitars most of the time with the odd customer every now and again. At the end of the week they gave me some free guitar strings, result!

The Unvirginiser
  • The Unvirginiser

You ain't gettin' your tings?!

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

The Sainsbury's local in Brixton, I can guarantee that it will be the wort week of your life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users