Quantcast

» «
Photo

Another hardrive, but backing up Windows?

24 replies to this topic
konyo
  • konyo

AddOn Maker

• Members

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

Hi all. Ive looking to buy a new hardrive as the one i have now only has 20gb left of space..
Anyway once i get a new hardrive and install it into the second slot (Keeping both hardrives in computer) Is there a way to put Windows 7 on the new hardrive too incase the one i have now goes dead.. Touch wood it wont icon14.gif Then i can start up windows on the 2nd hardrive if the 1st one fails?

Get what im saying? lol.

Regards,

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:49 PM

You want to use the new drive to create a back up of your current drive or to replace the current drive because it's running out of space?
Are you worried that the old drive is going bad? How old is the old drive? How big is it as well?

One of the things you could do is to just use the new drive as additional storage or even install large programs (games, photoshop and so on) on to which will free up space on the current/old drive.

There are ways to clone the old drive to the new drive and even then run a program in the background that would keep things up to date on both, not that I would recommend the last part.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:03 PM

You might also consider making a RAID1 array if your motherboard supports it.

konyo
  • konyo

AddOn Maker

• Members

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Wednesday, Oct 5 2011, 16:49)
You want to use the new drive to create a back up of your current drive or to replace the current drive because it's running out of space?
Are you worried that the old drive is going bad? How old is the old drive? How big is it as well?

One of the things you could do is to just use the new drive as additional storage or even install large programs (games, photoshop and so on) on to which will free up space on the current/old drive.

There are ways to clone the old drive to the new drive and even then run a program in the background that would keep things up to date on both, not that I would recommend the last part.

No just getting a new drive and using it as a slave drive to install big programs on etc like you said, but still using the old drive as the master until it dies, its about 4 years old and its 150Gb and has 10GB Space left.

So if that drive was ever to break, im just wondering if i could copy the windows onto the new drive, so if the old HDD goes bust, i can start my computer up using the slave drive.

Hope that makes more sense smile.gif

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:11 PM

There might be a better/faster way to do this, but I'd just do a complete block copy of the original, and then delete/uninstall anything that you don't need duplicated. If the new drive is bigger than original, you can either expand the last partition, or simply create a new partition in extra space. You should then still be able to boot from either hard drive by making appropriate selection in BIOS.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:37 AM

Well for what you're asking and thinking, you can't do both.
You can clone your old drive to the new to have incase the old drive dies, but you can't really just also use it for big programs unless you really just want to clone the old to it and start using it as your boot/OS drive.
I would do one or the other.

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:43 AM Edited by Fozzy Fozborne, 06 October 2011 - 12:48 AM.

Wolf, I think he means keep the current drive as his boot drive and install a larger drive as a slave then instead of installing programs to the boot drive, install them to the slave drive.

Yes, this is possible. When you install a program and it asks you where to install, change the drive letter from [usually C:\] to the letter of the new drive which depends on your system config.

As far as backing up your current drive, I would recommend COMODO Backup. Why? It's easy, free, and it works just fine.

Just make sure you do a full backup and a Clone / Partition rather than a CBU file.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:44 AM

He wants to be able to boot his OS from either drive. I don't really see a problem with simply cloning the drive and cleaning up stuff that does not need to be redundant.

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:57 AM Edited by Fozzy Fozborne, 06 October 2011 - 01:00 AM.

@K, doesn't cloning an older disk then shrinking it cause any reasonably-new drive with 4k to get bumped out of alignment and thus suffer from a big performance loss?

This is what I'm talking about.

I was thinking to back up the data to the new drive, install stuff on the new drive and boot from the old drive.

kamuran
  • kamuran

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:03 AM

My hard drive is dying and I bought a new hard drive to transfer all of my programs on it. I want to use all of my programs on the new drive without any hassle. I also would like to play all my games on it. Would Comodo allow me to play GTA without any compatibility issues?

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:11 AM

Yes, Comodo just copies the files from one drive to another. Make sure you choose these options
user posted image

Also, make sure you do not use your computer while making a copy of it. Any files changed after they are copied will not be reflected on the new hard drive. It should only take 30-60 minutes to make a copy.

Be sure to try out GTA4 on the copied drive to be 100% sure it worked correctly (don't know why it wouldn't but you never know) before your current drive dies.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE (Fozzy Fozborne @ Wednesday, Oct 5 2011, 20:57)
@K, doesn't cloning an older disk then shrinking it cause any reasonably-new drive with 4k to get bumped out of alignment and thus suffer from a big performance loss?

This is what I'm talking about.

If the old cluster size doesn't align on the new sectors, yes, there will be serious performance issues. So it'd be something to check before cloning.

I was thinking to back up the data to the new drive, install stuff on the new drive and boot from the old drive.

He does want to continue booting from old drive, but he wants to be able to boot from new drive if the old drive fails. If the drive is cloned, both will be bootable and both will run Windows. Of course, anything installed after the copy is made won't run when booted from new drive, even if the new drive was used for the installation. But at least he'd have an OS with most of his stuff in place if the old drive dies.

And yeah, that's not really the solution I'd go with either, but if he really wants to set it up this way, I don't see why he couldn't.

kamuran
  • kamuran

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:13 AM

Thanks dude. I tried to just copy and paste the files on my hard drive and it wouldn't let me open any programs.

I'll write back later to tell you if it worked or not.

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:31 AM

@OP: Now this is me blathering a bit about what I would do in your situation: What I would do is take the drive you have now out, install a fresh copy of 7 on your new drive, then reinstall your old drive. Why? Well I'm sure by now you've realized that Windows generates a fair amount of crap files that builds up over time (bad registry keys, old drivers, bad installs/uninstalls, temp files, etc.) that certainly can be fixed but it's always good to start fresh once in a while. Plus you still have ALL of your old files that you can selectively copy over so you don't waste space on your new drive.

/rant. Are you sure you wouldn't rather make a full copy of your files to your new drive, keep your current drive as a backup, and enjoy the larger space without having to worry about specially installing software? That would be much easier.

@K:Alright if it will work without any performance issues with 4K. I figured his drive would be 512 as it's only a 160GB drive. Oh and I realized my previous post sounded condescending. Nothing intended by that, I know you know a lot about software but didn't know if you were as up-to-speed with hardware.

kamuran
  • kamuran

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:40 AM

I cannot clone the disk for some reason to my new hard drive. It says "No Viable Destination disks found for the selected item."

What does a CBU file do?

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:48 AM

Are both of your hard drives connected now? On the first page select the drive you want to copy. Make sure the destination drive (non-boot) is NOT selected then click next. Now select your destination drive and click backup.

A CBU file is a [C]omodo [B]ack[U]p file. It's basically a special zip file that contains all of your files that can only be recovered by using the restore function in comodo.

kamuran
  • kamuran

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:00 AM

Both of my hard drives are connected but when I hit next I cannot select anything. I have no choices.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:06 AM Edited by Wolf68k, 06 October 2011 - 04:18 AM.

QUOTE (Fozzy Fozborne @ Wednesday, Oct 5 2011, 19:43)
Wolf, I think he means keep the current drive as his boot drive and install a larger drive as a slave then instead of installing programs to the boot drive, install them to the slave drive.

Yes, this is possible. When you install a program and it asks you where to install, change the drive letter from [usually C:\] to the letter of the new drive which depends on your system config.

As far as backing up your current drive, I would recommend COMODO Backup. Why? It's easy, free, and it works just fine.

Just make sure you do a full backup and a Clone / Partition rather than a CBU file.

But he also keeps talking about copying Windows to the new drive in case the old drive fails.
Then he also talks about using the new drive as added storage.

@kamuran
You can also try using Western Digital's version of Acronis True Image http://support.wdc.c...il.asp?swid=119

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

I'm half drunk here, so correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you want to keep using your current drive as is, then use the new drive for storage, as well as also having the second drive ready to boot from (with all your programs on it?) if the current one dies.

If that's the case you could just install windows on the new drive, and then not use it so it stays as small as it is on first install. Then just save an image of your current system on a partition if necessary, as lots of image software forces you to use a separate disk or partition. You could then restore that image if you ever need to. Then just use the remaining space for storage, or if you really want shrink the other partition(s) and create yet another partition with all the remaining space and use that for storage.

That said, what would seem easiest to me would be to install windows on the new drive, make the image of your current system, restore the image onto the new disk, then once you're sure everything is working properly wipe the current one. IMO it's better to be 100% sure you have everything working properly before the drive fails, just in case.

Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason you want to keep running from the current disk and using the second for storage, instead of moving to the new one and then using the original for storage? I mean if you were worried about the current drive dying, using it for storage instead of running everything off of it could actually increase its life by decreasing its use.

Also, not an answer to your question at all, but just completely reinstalling windows is a better idea really. I know it seems like a huge pain in the ass, but that's only until you've done it a few times and know what to backup to make it quicker to get back to exactly where you were.

kamuran
  • kamuran

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

So I used Acronis to clone my hdd and it worked perfectly fine. All I have to do is update my drivers and test out a lot of my programs.

Thanks Fuzzy!

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:20 AM

I just bought a magazine that had a cd included and one of the program is Acronis True Image Home edition. I have installed the Ease US and it seems to do the job although, I haven't really tested the software.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (kamuran @ Thursday, Oct 6 2011, 13:45)
So I used Acronis to clone my hdd and it worked perfectly fine. All I have to do is update my drivers and test out a lot of my programs.

Thanks Fuzzy!

Wait? Fozzy told you use Acronis?!?
QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Wednesday, Oct 5 2011, 23:06)
@kamuran
You can also try using Western Digital's version of Acronis True Image http://support.wdc.c...il.asp?swid=119

kamuran
  • kamuran

Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:39 PM

After I posted about needing help with Comodo I talked to Fuzzy on steam. I looked at this thread the next day to thank fuzzy for telling me to use Acronis on steam but I didn't see your post.

Thank you anyway!

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:29 AM

Don't worry Wolf, I didn't jack your idea. I just searched for WD's copy utility which was Acronis.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:41 PM

I was just screwing around. It's all good. I forgot the smiley, so my bad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users