Any mechanics?

14 replies to this topic
Tommy.
  • Tommy.

MUFC

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:10 PM

So I have been on my motor vehicle course for about three weeks now (at the local College) and it's really fun but it does require a lot of work which I don't mind. I just wanted to know is there any mechanics around here or people who are training to be a mechanic?

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

I was, up until I kind of realised that I wanted to sell cars instead. Still taking the course though, but on thursdays and fridays I'm a "car-salesman-trainee" at a SAAB/KIA/Mitsubichi/Opel/Chevrolet dealer. smile.gif

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

You sex me up, baby!

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (Illousion @ Monday, Oct 3 2011, 17:58)
I was, up until I kind of realised that I wanted to sell cars instead. Still taking the course though, but on thursdays and fridays I'm a "car-salesman-trainee" at a SAAB/KIA/Mitsubichi/Opel/Chevrolet dealer. smile.gif

Do you sell old saabs? (900 turbo '85 plz)

Benzoboy
  • Benzoboy

Like Ronnyboy, but better.

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE (Tommy. @ Monday, Oct 3 2011, 12:10)
So I have been on my motor vehicle course for about three weeks now (at the local College) and it's really fun but it does require a lot of work which I don't mind. I just wanted to know is there any mechanics around here or people who are training to be a mechanic?

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Started a motor vehicle course at my local college (Walsall for those who know), must say it's pretty fun, finally getting to learn the ins and outs of the things I've loved all my life

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:05 AM

Used to when I was in high school. Decided it sucked and that I would rather drive vehicles than wrench on them.

κενιη
  • κενιη

Bringer of Dramageddon

• The Connection

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:40 AM

I worked as a mechanic back in high school at a local shop my neighbor owned, I was an Abrams tank mechanic in the army, and i work in maintenance at the Pittsburgh post office main distribution/sorting center (packages not paper mail).

Does that count?

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

MUFC

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (Benzoboy @ Tuesday, Oct 4 2011, 00:38)
QUOTE (Tommy. @ Monday, Oct 3 2011, 12:10)

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Started a motor vehicle course at my local college (Walsall for those who know), must say it's pretty fun, finally getting to learn the ins and outs of the things I've loved all my life

What have you been learning lately? We've been focusing on drum and disc brakes. Taking wheels, cleaning brake pads etc.

Benzoboy
  • Benzoboy

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:55 PM

We did all the basics, health and safety, jacking a car up, lowering onto axle stands, learnt about all the tools, how to use them, what they are etc. I think we were doing brakes later this week actually, which college you at?

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

MUFC

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:11 AM

Yeah same here, that is what I did basically. I go to Carlisle College and it's not bad actually, we get a couple of customer cars in and then we have cars that belong to the College. Last week we got a VW Beatle in the workshop. It was a customers car but we did get to work on it which was pretty awesome.

Benzoboy
  • Benzoboy

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

That doesn't sound too bad. Our college gets in cars seized by the police for no tax/insurance or whatever. We get around 10 in at any one point, not bad cars too. 2 Ford Kas, 2 Astra Mk3s, a Focus Mk1.5, a Peugeot 206, a Toyota Corolla, a Honda Accord, a Vauxhall Corsa C and a Vauxhall Vectra, there may be one or two I've missed.

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

MUFC

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

Yeah same here really. There is quite a lot of pressure when working on a customer's car, I've only do that once though (a VW Beatle) which is good experience. At Walsall College, are you getting put out on work placement? I am and I think that is around May time maybe earlier so I will gain a lot of experience form that.

Benzoboy
  • Benzoboy

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

I don't think we are, no, would be nice if we did though. Still, I'm enjoying it

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

MUFC

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:50 AM

Yeah I'm fairly looking forward to it. I'm on work placement for 10 days which isn't bad.

Starion
  • Starion

hmm..

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

I'm an apprentice mechanic for Volkswagen, I work at a franchise dealer and I've nearly finished the first year of my course.

I must say that I'm really pleased with who I'm learning with and wouldn't go anywhere else. The people at work are really helpful and put in a lot of effort to teach you how to do things properly, plus the workshop is very well kitted out.

You also get a lot of support from Volkswagen as well, every two months or so I do a week block training at the Volkswagen NLC in Milton Keynes. They pay for the accommodation/food/travel as well which is good.

The pay is not too bad either, I work full time and the pay is about 4.20 an hour and it goes up yearly. I think I'm lucky as some people I know only get paid around 3.00 or 3.50 depending on who they're with.

Plus there's a lot of satisfaction working on a hot veedub when the odd one comes in. On Friday I was working on a V10TDI Toureg with my mentor and earlier in the day a MK6 Golf GTI.

So, happy learner here. biggrin.gif

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

MUFC

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

That sounds pretty good.

I'm going out on work placement in July. I might see if I can get a weekend job at my local garage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users