Photo

gmax no extraction

13 replies to this topic
dehman137
  • dehman137

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:42 PM

Hi everyone i just started modeling with gmax mainly because i cant afford 3ds, anyway i finally finished my model and everytime i try to extract my model or collision model it goes through then says snoopned at the end if that matters. Anyway im very confused and dont know how to fix it can anyone help me?

thanks,
dEHmAN137

foxunitone
  • foxunitone

Resident Bat

• Members

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:28 AM

We can try to help you, but we need to know a little more.

Are you using Kam's scripts?
What kind of model? Im guessing vehicle or object because you mentioned a .col file.
What steps are you taking to export?
And lastly, if you can post a screen of the model with the export error appearing we may be able to see if you have selected something wrong.

-Fox

dehman137
  • dehman137

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:26 AM

QUOTE (foxunitone @ Monday, Oct 3 2011, 00:28)
We can try to help you, but we need to know a little more.

Are you using Kam's scripts?
What kind of model? Im guessing vehicle or object because you mentioned a .col file.
What steps are you taking to export?
And lastly, if you can post a screen of the model with the export error appearing we may be able to see if you have selected something wrong.

-Fox

ya im using cams and im modding the shamal aka learjet and when i go through the extraction i be sure to select the shadow mesh, the collision model mesh, and the whole col model , export and it isnt there

foxunitone
  • foxunitone

Resident Bat

• Members

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:18 AM

Okay. Your best bet is to use steve m's col editor 2 and follow its directions for creating a custom shadow/col file. Then use that col file as the reference when you export using Kam's scripts. If your not making a custom col/shadow, you can just make a copy of the shamal's dff and load the copy as collision reference before export.

-Fox

dehman137
  • dehman137

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (foxunitone @ Monday, Oct 3 2011, 05:18)
Okay. Your best bet is to use steve m's col editor 2 and follow its directions for creating a custom shadow/col file. Then use that col file as the reference when you export using Kam's scripts. If your not making a custom col/shadow, you can just make a copy of the shamal's dff and load the copy as collision reference before export.

-Fox

thats what i do its not just for collisions the dff wont export ither once i hit export it looks like it's extracting then it says snoopned and i still dont know what that means

foxunitone
  • foxunitone

Resident Bat

• Members

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:18 PM

I have never had that error and did not find anything on it right off. Best I can do is offer to take a look at the file if you want to upload it and post the link.

-Fox

dehman137
  • dehman137

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (foxunitone @ Monday, Oct 3 2011, 23:18)
I have never had that error and did not find anything on it right off. Best I can do is offer to take a look at the file if you want to upload it and post the link.

-Fox

ok thanks and is says snoopned at the bottom left corner after i export

RanxeroX
  • RanxeroX

Wielding Many Hats

• Members

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

I think what's probably happening in your case is that you're lacking another program that's needed to get the actual data out of Gmax.

Unlike Kam's scripts for 3ds-Max, his scripts for Gmax do not actually write to a file - they write to Gmax's Script Listener window in text format. See, Gmax does not really allow exporting of files. It doesn't have the functions to let scripts export data. So Kam got around it by writing to the Listener window in text format.

What you need is a program that will convert the text from the Listener window into binary format. At a minimum, you need a program called 't2b.exe'. You have to run it from a commmand line and specify parameters. It'll do the necessary conversion.

A better solution, and one that I used, is to look for a program/archive called 'Gta-Max'. It includes t2b.exe and adds a small utility that runs out of the taskbar tray. What it does is stay running in the background and monitors Gmax for output to its Listener window. When it sees the text 'snoopstart' and 'snoopend', it knows that a Gta-type file has been exported and will do the conversion, using t2b.exe, for you. On the rare occasion that it doesn't catch it automatically, you can right-click the Gta-Max tray icon and select 'Manual Conversion' (or something like that).

So, once you get ahold of that program and unpack/install it, run it first then fire up Gmax and do your exporting. Worked pretty slick for me back in the day!

Hope this helped! smile.gif

dehman137
  • dehman137

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (RanxeroX @ Tuesday, Oct 4 2011, 18:58)
I think what's probably happening in your case is that you're lacking another program that's needed to get the actual data out of Gmax.

Unlike Kam's scripts for 3ds-Max, his scripts for Gmax do not actually write to a file - they write to Gmax's Script Listener window in text format. See, Gmax does not really allow exporting of files. It doesn't have the functions to let scripts export data. So Kam got around it by writing to the Listener window in text format.

What you need is a program that will convert the text from the Listener window into binary format. At a minimum, you need a program called 't2b.exe'. You have to run it from a commmand line and specify parameters. It'll do the necessary conversion.

A better solution, and one that I used, is to look for a program/archive called 'Gta-Max'. It includes t2b.exe and adds a small utility that runs out of the taskbar tray. What it does is stay running in the background and monitors Gmax for output to its Listener window. When it sees the text 'snoopstart' and 'snoopend', it knows that a Gta-type file has been exported and will do the conversion, using t2b.exe, for you. On the rare occasion that it doesn't catch it automatically, you can right-click the Gta-Max tray icon and select 'Manual Conversion' (or something like that).

So, once you get ahold of that program and unpack/install it, run it first then fire up Gmax and do your exporting. Worked pretty slick for me back in the day!

ya i have that it came with kams script i ured it and it still doesnt extract

dehman137
  • dehman137

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE (dehman137 @ Tuesday, Oct 4 2011, 21:06)

ya i have that it came with kams script i ured it and it still doesnt extract

wait i might have found the problem does kams tool not work with version 1.2?

dehman137
  • dehman137

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:25 PM

ok i see where your going i think im close to exporting it says in the read me to distribute t2b with command line like this: c:\something.txt" "something.bin by replacing something with file ofcourse but only thing is what command line is it talking about?

RanxeroX
  • RanxeroX

Wielding Many Hats

• Members

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:29 PM

The 'command line' is a hold-over from the old days of Windows and DOS when commands had to be executed at a DOS prompt. It's still occasionally used by programs but it's usually done in the background so you never see it do it's thing.

To get to a DOS prompt, either open up the Start menu and look for an entry under Accessories that says 'Command Prompt' or type 'cmd.exe' into the Run or Search input boxes.

Once you're at a prompt, you have to enter the proper text to get t2b.exe to run. Usually, you type the command (t2b.exe) and follow it with the parameters it needs. In this case, it's probably something like:

> [t2b.exe path]t2b.exe [source path/name] [dest path/name]

Before any of that will even work though, you have to cut and paste all the text from the Listener window into an editor and then save the text somewhere. This becomes your source path & name.

If I were you though, I wouldn't bother with any of that and just look for 'Gta-Max' like I already suggested. It will handle all of that dirty work for you.

And if you want to know more about using DOS, please Google it!

Good luck!

PS: BTW, it's preferable that you edit a single post if you have something to add rather than triple post (with quotes to boot!). It's generally frowned upon...

dehman137
  • dehman137

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:32 AM Edited by dehman137, 13 April 2012 - 03:45 AM.

thanks so much man your a life saver biggrin.gif

dehman137
  • dehman137

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (RanxeroX @ Thursday, Oct 6 2011, 19:29)
The 'command line' is a hold-over from the old days of Windows and DOS when commands had to be executed at a DOS prompt. It's still occasionally used by programs but it's usually done in the background so you never see it do it's thing.

To get to a DOS prompt, either open up the Start menu and look for an entry under Accessories that says 'Command Prompt' or type 'cmd.exe' into the Run or Search input boxes.

Once you're at a prompt, you have to enter the proper text to get t2b.exe to run. Usually, you type the command (t2b.exe) and follow it with the parameters it needs. In this case, it's probably something like:

> [t2b.exe path]t2b.exe [source path/name] [dest path/name]

Before any of that will even work though, you have to cut and paste all the text from the Listener window into an editor and then save the text somewhere. This becomes your source path & name.

If I were you though, I wouldn't bother with any of that and just look for 'Gta-Max' like I already suggested. It will handle all of that dirty work for you.

And if you want to know more about using DOS, please Google it!

Good luck!

PS: BTW, it's preferable that you edit a single post if you have something to add rather than triple post (with quotes to boot!). It's generally frowned upon...

Well i appreciate all your help, except i still have one problem, i can only extract weapons and peds, im currently working on a model to replace the andromada, but everytime i try to export the model, it cant compile the whole model and i get this error :

exception econverterror in module t2b.exe at 00006236 '=' is not a valid interger,

ive tried reinstalling the scripts and even gmax, but the game can never extract any of my vehicles, any idea why this is so?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users