Photo

Occupy Wall Street

578 replies to this topic
Mr.Mister
  • Mr.Mister

Capt. Downtown

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:29 AM

Our Occupy movement only lasted 3 month until they all got evicted. They camped out infront of my high school actually, I remember walking in the freezing cold and chuckling at them. I just saw tents, signs and homeless looking people.

I think the movement is a good idea but its so flawed its not even worth it. Europeans seem to be better at protesting I think. But if we want to be taken seriosuly, we need to wear proper attire, not show up stoned, hand out educational pamphlets/DVDs and actually send a clear message. Asking for change won't do anything, you gotta be specific. I'm no economist so I cant really do research on my own

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE (my local newspaper site)
TWO GREAT streams of American political thought converged Tuesday outside the Daily News strippers to protest a month-old story about strippers and prostitution, the other, Occupy Philly, to protest everything else.

Full article here...

Kind of funny that the city's exotic dancers scheduled one of their protests the same day the occupiers had one going. Turns out all the reporters ignored the occupiers and spent their time interviewing the strippers.

Icarus
  • Icarus

[C9] Orthonormal

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (Mr.Mister @ Wednesday, May 2 2012, 19:29)
Our Occupy movement only lasted 3 month until they all got evicted. They camped out infront of my high school actually, I remember walking in the freezing cold and chuckling at them. I just saw tents, signs and homeless looking people.

Yeah, and the city just forked out over $10,000 to touch up Melcor Park where they had camped, since there was extensive damage to the land from all the tents and people being there.

I remember reading on the Occupy Edmonton Facebook page that they were going to help clean it up and pay for any damages, but they never did go pitch in or fork a dime over.

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:54 AM Edited by AlexGTAGamer, 03 May 2012 - 02:01 AM.

QUOTE (trip @ Thursday, May 3 2012, 02:37)
Kind of funny that the city's exotic dancers scheduled one of their protests the same day the occupiers had one going.  Turns out all the reporters ignored the occupiers and spent their time interviewing the strippers.

I got a chuckle out of that. biggrin.gif

And I can't blame those reporters, if you had a choice who would you interview, a group of strippers or members of a group that seem to have long overstayed their welcome?

I just did a quick Google search for groups involved in the May Day protests in Bristol, and I'm surprised to find nothing on the Occupy Bristol movement. The protests were mostly around Workers Unions, NHS reform, anti job/pensions/pay/etc. cuts, anti-arms protests (tied together with the Hinkley Point Power Station demonstrations) and the other expected protests.

- EDIT -

Regarding the point above referring to mess left by Occupy camps:
The Occupy Bristol camp on College Green was a terrible sight after they had all been evicted.

To put things in a simple manor, think of Glastonbury after the Music Festival, that's what College Green looked like - no signs of grass anymore, cardboard, wood crates, rubbish strewn all of the place. They offered to help the Council clean up the grounds but the Council urged them not to help due to the fact that it isn't as simple as planting a few seeds to grow the grass back, it was more technical than that in some sense.

So they really have left their mark on the city, just like they currently have done with Clifton Wood Mansion. confused.gif

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:06 AM

QUOTE (AlexGTAGamer @ Wednesday, May 2 2012, 21:54)
QUOTE (trip @ Thursday, May 3 2012, 02:37)
Kind of funny that the city's exotic dancers scheduled one of their protests the same day the occupiers had one going.  Turns out all the reporters ignored the occupiers and spent their time interviewing the strippers.

I got a chuckle out of that. biggrin.gif

And I can't blame those reporters, if you had a choice who would you interview, a group of strippers or members of a group that seem to have long overstayed their welcome?

I just did a quick Google search for groups involved in the May Day protests in Bristol, and I'm surprised to find nothing on the Occupy Bristol movement. The protests were mostly around Workers Unions, NHS reform, anti job/pensions/pay/etc. cuts, anti-arms protests (tied together with the Hinkley Point Power Station demonstrations) and the other expected protests.

And that is why I love this crappy city.

@Icarus - our city has been more than accommodating to the protesters. Their original camp was on a 5mil dollar construction project. It just so happens to be the big main plaza at our City Hall. We had a deal with them that they could stay but would need to relocate at a certain date. We worked with them and offered up another location a lock away at our second most government building. There were only a few dickheads that made it tough - but it was all drama free in the end.

I'm very torn with the occupy movement. I wish they had a consistent stance, but they are all over the board. I hate the 'entitled' ones who ate just looking for something social to do, but then again I do agree with what some of the older ones are saying.

The bulk of the occupiers just need to accept that you don't get your dream job as your first job. You have to work years of sh*t jobs, and jobs that have nothing to do with what you want later in life. I feel most of these kids feel ultra privileged and they think they should get a pass on all the sh*tty stuff most of us need to do in order to survive up until we get that break into the career/job we want.

Me = drinking beers tonight.

Icarus
  • Icarus

[C9] Orthonormal

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:15 AM

I'd like to say Edmonton was, to a point, accommodating to the protestors. The issue that came up was that they had set up on private property, since Melcor Park is owned by Melcor, so it was not public land. For the first bit, Melcor didn't really mind them camping there, as long as they were being respectful of the property. Eventually, though, they asked the Occupy Edmonton (OE) people to leave and they refused, citing their right to peaceful assembly and freedom of speech.

What really pissed off a lot of Edmontonians was that OE produced a list of demands that Melcor had to meet before they would vacate the property, even though it was private property. People felt that their sense of self-entitlement had ballooned. Eventually, the police came in early in the morning, just before five, and tore down the encampment and fenced off the park.

I understand the basic goals of the Occupy movement and I salute them for it, but until you get people on your side (and by that, I mean a majority of the people) and they don't think you're a bunch of self-entitled whiners, it's going to be hard to make some serious change.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (Icarus @ Wednesday, May 2 2012, 20:42)
and the city just forked out over $10,000 to touch up Melcor Park where they had camped, since there was extensive damage to the land from all the tents and people being there.

Eh, economic stimulus right there.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:52 AM

There never was a major movement in my city, just a few small demonstrations outside the campus of the uni. Mainly just anti-establishment types like anarchists. This one guy used to be in my english class in college, and was the archetypal "anarchist" type. He was middle class, went to a grammar school and talked like a posh twat. He had long smelly hair, was into metal music, would wear black t-shirts and had poor personal hygiene. He was also slightly hipster in that he hated anything mainstream, including showers and deodorant apparently.

I had to sit next to him in my first year, and the tables were set out so that I was on the end of a long line so he was the only person I was sitting next to. The summer days could get unbearable, especially on a wednesday when we had it last period and he'd had all day to build his "aroma" up. I had footy training on wednesday so my boot bag would be kicking up a stink, at least he covered that.

Anyways I saw him at a few rallies at the main entrance of the campus. They just piss me off, think they're revolutionaries when really they're just clueless. I'm talking about the particular "anarchists" at my campus, not the occupy movement in general. Although I do still dissagree with that as well and most of them are clueless.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

I hear back about reporting news here but news effects our lives, as I see it, this movement is taking action over the Way of the World. Economics are still in something of a free dive, as I type this it's on the news, it's not improving bottom line.

Regarding Occupy specifically is a court case over someone Twittering in the terms of inciting a gathering where it could be deemed illegal, could police crack down on Twitterers based on these kind of events? The verdict is out, but a discussion was held on why this might be accepted based on the illegal merits, but also as a possible invasion of privacy

We know the Arab spring resulted in mass success based on Social Networking and technology as it exists now

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users