» «
Photo

Maybe buying this Suburban...

165 replies to this topic
leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:23 AM Edited by leik oh em jeez!, 27 June 2012 - 04:14 AM.

This is now a build thread for my 1997 GMC Suburban K2500 SLT. What started out as a family hauling daily driver with candy and soda spilled about the floor, will now get a slightly redneck trail-rig/work horse exterior and drive train, and receive a more luxurious interior treatment than GMC could have imagined in 1997. THIS is how it begins.

Purchase price: $1800
Current total: $2545

Repairs done:
-Battery
-Belt Tensioner
-Grill/Corner lenses
-Starter

Upgrades done:
-06 Escalade center console
-06 Escalade 6-disc in-dash CD changer
-00 Escalade door conversion
-00 Escalade seats front & rear
-Keyless entry
-Cab lights

Other modifications:
-Cranked torsion keys for 7/8" front lift
-Painted wheels black
-CD changer housing swap

As I bought it:
user posted imageuser posted image

Replaced grill/corner lenses with new '93 style, painted wheels black, removed running boards:

Custom fitted '06 Escalade center console. Pictures left to right: Interior before, wiring done for CD changer, interior after.
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Original post:

Okay, so I've been looking for a while for a cheap 90's Suburban K2500 to hopefully eventually swap a 12-valve Cummins into.
I recently found this one on Craigslist for $2500.
1997 K2500 (4x4 3/4 ton) with 176,000 on the odometer.

So I called him up, found out it's got a 350 (was kind of hoping for a 454) explained to him my money situation, and he said he could take $2000.
While I think this a reasonable deal, my father is completely against the idea and is under the impression that for $2000 I'd better be getting a 2000+ with under 100k miles and in perfect condition. I then of course explained that would never happen.

So if you were in my position, would you consider this a good deal?
Considering the cheapest 2wd 1/2 tons are $1500-2000, all of them older and with more miles, I'd say it's not that bad. But everyone around me seems to disagree.
  • *MURDOC* likes this

Michaś
  • Michaś

BMW Maniac

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:16 PM

That's a pretty good deal. Needs some TLC, but overall $2k is not bad for such a truck.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

Could probably get a pickup with a better stock drivetrain in it (like already with an NV4500 in it) for around the same price.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:22 PM

Not so sure about that, trucks are expensive around here. Most K2500s are $3000-4000, while F-250s and Ram 2500s older than 2000 are all but extinct.

Original Light
  • Original Light

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:30 AM

With a new paint job that would look sweet. Just get some of the rust off and clean it up, otherwise, that's a great deal.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:37 PM Edited by Lurch, 29 September 2011 - 07:40 PM.

Something to keep in mine is a lot of the suspension is going to have to be replaced. A cummins weighs roughly 1200 lbs. complete. An SBC is only 500 lbs. Most Suburban/chevy truck cummins swaps I see have them SAS the front with a Dana 60. I've seen someone successfully swap a Cummins into a 3/4 ton Burb like that and keep the IFS, but it was a 6.5 truck with the HD tow package so it had the heaviest duty torsion bars, springs, ball joints, and steering parts of any Suburban made. I think he still had to switch to some stiffer aftermarket springs for the additional 300 lbs. of the Cummins over the 6.5.

I've found a few older straight axle square body 3/4 ton burbs in your price range in NC. Might should check them out. Then a d60 would at least be basically bolt-in.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:03 PM Edited by leik oh em jeez!, 07 October 2011 - 04:09 AM.

Well, I got it for $1800.
user posted image
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Relevant jorts intensify.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:14 PM

Yeah, no sh*t, you've posted it in 3 different places! tounge.gif

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

lol. I'm quite happy about finally getting one after. I'm 20 and just now getting my first vehicle, so you can imagine my excitement.

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

Nice car! Looks great white on beighe.

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Sunday, Oct 2 2011, 10:37)
lol. I'm quite happy about finally getting one after. I'm 20 and just now getting my first vehicle, so you can imagine my excitement.

I can understand, I got a '79 Suburban when I was 16.

Financial troubles meant I didn't have it for too long, but it was fun while it lasted.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:36 PM

My automechanic in highschool had one just like that but red and black. Had a big steel bumper with a built in brush guard too. Still 3/4 ton, 4x4 with a 350/4L80E combo. 4L80 took a sh*t on him. Still was a fun truck to mess around in.

Is the rear end in it the 9.5 SF 14 bolt or 10.5 FF 14 bolt? Hard to tell with the centercaps on.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:56 PM

Appears to be the 9.5 SF.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:15 AM

Yeah, if you plan to cummins swap it, that's not going to hold up. Kaboom. Needs at least a FF 14 bolt or a d70 or d80.

Most everything will need to be swapped.

Here's a thread to a 3/4 ton Suburban with a Cummins swap. It was originally a 454 truck with the 8800 GVW package on it so it had the biggiest heaviest duty parts on it. Everything on your truck won't be enough for the Cummins.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:15 AM Edited by leik oh em jeez!, 03 October 2011 - 07:36 AM.

hmm. Looks like it'll be that much more of a project. Maybe I can find a parts truck with the higher GVWR.

Think I could get anything useful off of this truck?

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:33 PM Edited by Lurch, 03 October 2011 - 05:36 PM.

Yes. The rear end, but that's it. FF 10.5 might be bolt in and are cheap. Not sure if 1 ton spring perches are the same. A 3/4 ton with a 454 or a 6.5 will have the full float axle in it too. They're like 100 bucks or less at the junkyard. That guy might want more.

I think the 8800 package includes the 9.25 front end from a 1 ton. So if you find a 4wd 1 ton, I guess you could nab it. You've got the weaker 8.25 shared with the half ton. You'll need at least that if you stay IFS or a D60 (if you solid axled the front).

Or get a whole wrecked dodge with the cummins/nv4500/nv271/d60 front and d70 or d80 rear already in it. Then all you have to deal with is fab work to get it all in.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:06 AM

Now is as good a time as any for some "before" pictures. So I got some with an actual camera after a quick wash. (cell phone cameras suck.)
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

^Step brother's sh*tty little Del-Sol beside it.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

New grill installed, corner lenses should be here soon.
user posted image
user posted image

And I removed the running boards.
user posted image
Losing the front valance too when I get a new bumper.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:10 PM

Touch up the paint on the hood and that would be a very good looking truck. Craigslist the running boards and front valance. Could probably get a little bit out of them. The valance looks to be solid and doesn't have the normal cracks you see on them from trucks that gen.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:19 PM

Waiting on my dad to pay me back $1800 he borrowed from me, which will hopefully be enough for a cheap front leveling kit and paint. I wanted to do the older style two tone in a dark forest green with a white or off white stripe down the sides.

While I'm at it, I really like the look of the sealed beam lights with this grill, but from what I've read the sealed beams suck major ass and you'd be better off taping flash lights to the hood than using them. You know of any kits or anything that use decent bulbs but maintain the look of the quad sealed beams? I've read the Holden Suburbans have great lights and still have the same look, but I'm unable to find any parts anywhere online.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:39 AM

Double posting up in this bitch.
Corner lenses installed.
user posted image

Next up: Belt tensioner and registration. Then dinner for some nice ladies, and then back to upgrades. Bumper will probably be the first one.

Killer.Khan
  • Killer.Khan

no.

• Members

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:59 AM

Question,

How do you manage to pay for gas?

It probably get's like 3 MPG tounge.gif

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:04 AM

QUOTE (Killer.Khan @ Monday, Oct 31 2011, 20:59)
Question,

How do you manage to pay for gas?

It probably get's like 3 MPG tounge.gif

I know it's a big time difference, but my old 350 Suburban got more than twice that.

Guns N R0se
  • Guns N R0se

King of the Mountain

• Members

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:11 AM

I have a friend who is obsessed with Suburbans. When I asked him what car he could have if he could have any car his immediate answer was "Suburban".

anyway, very nice ride.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (Guns N R0se @ Monday, Oct 31 2011, 21:11)
I have a friend who is obsessed with Suburbans. When I asked him what car he could have if he could have any car his immediate answer was "Suburban".

anyway, very nice ride.

lol, I'm the same way. It's supposed to get 14mpg, but I've only driven it about three miles so far. Hopefully I've got the money now so hopefully I'll be getting all the legalities worked out this week so I can drive it.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:58 PM Edited by leik oh em jeez!, 01 December 2011 - 09:11 PM.

wooo! Escalade center console semi-installed.
user posted image

Definitely going to need some help with wiring though. I don't even know where to start.
I've got a clock, a CD changer, a sub woofer, and rear audio controls to custom wire. turn.gif
Help me God.

Edit: Daytime now. And I got the CD changer wired up. Too bad my head unit won't switch to the auxiliary input. confused.gif
user posted image
user posted image

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

Been a while since I updated this. Since the last post, I've:
-painted wheels black
-painted the faded lug nut covers black, it makes a big difference.
-replaced head unit with another factory unit in much better condidtion
-replaced front bumper
-sanded and polished the faded and yellowed headlights, now they look new.
-cleaned up the center console, finished installing hardware for all of the compartments to open/close correctly
-installed green LEDs in gauge cluster, AC cluster, headlight switch, and clock.
-hooked up the clock
-wired the clock so the lights come on with the rest of the dash lights
-replaced the missing switch on the rear AC controls
-replaced a bad bulb in the turn signal that was blowing fuses and killing my brake lights
-replaced starter

I also narrowed down my audio problems to the cable connecting the CD Changer to the head unit. I'll be picking up another one next time I'm at the scrap yard.

Plans for this month:
-keyless entry kit (on the way)
-cab lights
-get the CD changer working

Plans for next month:
-rear running lights
-intake mod and paint, OR find donor motor/transmission. I'll be looking for a Duramax, or a 6bt Cummins.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Monday, Mar 19 2012, 18:36)
Plans for this month:
-keyless entry kit (on the way)

that. sounds. f*cking. awesome.

i didnt know keyless entry aftermarket kits existed! i'd love to see pics when you get it

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:51 PM Edited by leik oh em jeez!, 19 March 2012 - 07:10 PM.

QUOTE (Outcast @ Monday, Mar 19 2012, 13:45)
i didnt know keyless entry aftermarket kits existed! i'd love to see pics when you get it

I'm unsure as to whether or not my Suburban had keyless entry from the factory. If it did, then the remote was lost long ago.
One of the previous owners had installed an aftermarket remote starter/keyless entry kit, which the remote for it was lost, and I took it out since it wasn't doing any good. But yes, they do make after market keyless entry kits. I paid $38 shipped and that's without bothering to shop around.

Edit: Also, it might be worth mentioning that if I find a Duramax, I'll be doing a NBS dash swap with it. And whenever I get around to it, I'd like to get a set of Ultra Baja Champs and some BFG All Terrains.

And the console as it sits now. Because it looks so much nicer than it did before. Still need to sand the top and peel the rest of the paint off.
user posted image

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

It's coming along nicely man. The console looks great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users