The Writer's Resource

30 replies to this topic
Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:20 AM Edited by Craig, 10 May 2011 - 03:50 PM.

user posted image

We all need a little help here and there. Be it a character's name, a place to jot down ideas or simply sharpen a skill you never even knew you needed work on. Here is a collection of tools, websites and resources designed to help you discover new ways of writing, give you fresh ideas and tap into your imagination as and when needed. Do post if you have any and I'll add them to the table for all to use. At the moment things will look a little bare, but it's early days and I know there's a boat load out there so do share what you dig up. Just don't get any soil in my topic, this is hard to clean, y'know. It takes a lot of scrubbing to keep that big ol' white obnoxious banner gleaming.

LinkSo, What Is It Then?
Synonym FinderHelps you vary your vocabulary and find another way of getting across what you want to write, one word at a time.
Write Or DieKeep writing spontaneously or face having it deleted. Designed to bring out your quick writing skills.
BubblA brilliant brainstorming tool that shows you exactly what you've already plotted and has a simple interface.
Seventh SanctumA treasure trove of writing utensils, including quick name generators, scenario suggestions and other inspiration points.
GlyphoJot down your basic premise and receive character and plot suggestions.
SynchroEditA browser-based editor that allows multiple users to edit the same document at the same time.
Character QuestionnairesGet to know your characters before you write about them with this handy list.
ThinkFreeAn online word processor that has 1GB of online storage.
LexiconceptA portmanteau word generator that's more for a bit of fun that anything serious. Still, you never know...

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

Looking for more resources and material?

Take a look at the old topic, which features some more great info!

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

Updated with a few more I found because I got bored of looking at the same three. Also, I removed the "recommended by" column because it doesn't really matter who brought it up, so long as we all share them and have fun with them.

Tyler
  • Tyler

This is gonna take crackerjack timing, Wang.

• Unknown
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:55 PM

This is very handy stuff, Craig. Whenever I get the chance to write a bit more I'll try out Seventh Sanctum, it sounds interesting.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:58 PM

It's a slow-burner because it's not often you find something that helps, and most of the time it's the occasional word generator. Hopefully we'll strike gold more often than not.

Vercetti21
  • Vercetti21

V21

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:50 AM Edited by Vercetti21, 11 May 2012 - 07:07 PM.

ph34r.gif

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:41 PM

True. I was thinking the other day actually that it needs a bit of work doing at it I think. As it stands, it's a little out of date. It's not a big deal so much as the board moves slow enough for us to catch up and it's not exactly hard to find older stories, but it was a nice little catalogue.

Canofceleri
  • Canofceleri

OG

• The Connection

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:36 PM

https://docs.google.com

I have finally gotten around to checking it out and now I am hooked. It is quite easy to use, native documents can be translated and transferred to different languages and files easily. It's easy to share work with others or collaborate. The maximum storage is 1GB, but is really essentially unlimited considering you can just upload files and turn them into a google doc... there is no limit on native documents.

http://www.paperrater.com

It's a nice little tool to get a few little pointers. Input your text and it will give you a lot of stats on it, percentage of vocabulary words used, grammar and spell check, word count, some tips, etc. For what it is, pretty good.

http://www.merriam-webster.com

I like this dictionary, gives a lot of information and lists words that are pretty esoteric.

http://www.pbs.org/speak

Great site, not really for writing specifically, but you can learn a lot about language in general, and get some insight into regional dialects for your dialogue.

http://www.forvo.com

Pronunciation guide, useful if you give readings of your work. It's not definitive, but the voting up and down system is helpful. I just found out last night that I've been pronouncing homogeneous wrong for years. (Hint: it's not huh-mah-jin-us).

Post some good ones, I know there are many more. I'll get to some more at some point as well.

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:17 PM

Thanks, they're nice. But don't these belong in The Writer's Resource topic?

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:02 AM

Thanks to a bit of magic, I've successfully merged the two. Quite proud.

Canofceleri
  • Canofceleri

OG

• The Connection

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE (Craig @ Friday, Sep 23 2011, 20:02)
Thanks to a bit of magic, I've successfully merged the two. Quite proud.

Oh. Yeah. biggrin.gif Thanks!

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

Nice work Craig, but why is this unpinned? mercie_blink.gif

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:56 AM

Must be a glitch when merging. Thanks. smile.gif

Vercetti21
  • Vercetti21

V21

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:49 AM

911 Writer's Block

This is an extremely handy tool for brainstorming to get those 'write' juices flowing. Lack of inspiration? Or just feeling lazy? This detailed idea generator will randomize characters, settings, verbs, endings, even dramatic entrances and deaths. You can even collect and save the tips you find most helpful.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:45 AM

How to write a novel using the "snowflake method".

It's very interesting if nothing else, and it's a fresh approach to writing some may find unorthodox.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:58 AM

Me again. Found this little nugget on StumbleUpon.

Today, we’re heading to the dictionary for a creativity boost. Here’s what I want you to do:

You’re going to select six words and use them to write a story of less than 250 words. You will select your six words from:
page 52, 11th word down
page 111, 2nd word down
page 144, 1st word down
page 199, 9th word down
page 225, 12th word down
page 243, 6th word down

Now, that you have your six words, open the dictionary at random, close your eyes and select a word. That word will provide the subject of your story.

Use the first three words in your opening paragraph. The last three words may be sprinkled throughout the story.

Link

Odd results abounds.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

Triple bump. Haters to the left.

25 Insights On Being A Better Writer

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:13 AM

Great post there Craig. Anything with Kurt Vonnegut quotes in it = a good post, by my standards.

As an aside to the point of the topic, I figured I'd also highlight the need of everyone to read more Vonnegut. Some of his stuff is really moving. I'm not one to be moved by many things ('cos I'm so damn macho), let alone words scribbled on a page, but some of his stuff is so unerringly human I just can't help but be amazed by its simplicity.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:04 PM Edited by Mokrie Dela, 13 April 2012 - 12:06 PM.

QUOTE (Craig @ Wednesday, Nov 16 2011, 00:45)
How to write a novel using the "snowflake method".

It's very interesting if nothing else, and it's a fresh approach to writing some may find unorthodox.

Interesting. Also sounds challenging. Half the battle i feel is saying what you want to say in as few words as possible. The first couple of steps could be helpful in of themselves.

@Mark-2007: An old topic i made with that intention. It never really got going.

Not trying to plug/bump old topics, it just reminded me.

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:34 AM

I recall that topic. It's probably suffered from the existence of a book topic in General Chat, people - I know I have once or twice - will stumble upon that topic and post there, then perhaps later see your topic and figure that, since it's already been posted once, there's no need to contribute the same material to another topic.

That said, I might bump your topic with a few recommendations. I've been getting through a bunch of books since I last posted.

Mr.Funny12
  • Mr.Funny12

Just keep swimming...

• Members

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

Wow, this topic is a great help. Thank you.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

The vulgar, Irish, writer!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

Didn't know where to post this but I found it helpful so maybe others might take something away from it.

The Snowflake Method: 10 Easy steps in plotting your story!

Also I have a PDF version if anybody is interested in it.

cammi
  • cammi

PROJECT A HAS COMMENCED !

• Members

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

seems interesting but the mountain writing scheme works well also even though it is quite childish

user posted image

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

I often use Kleimo for whenever I needa name for a story,
its probably the most through in terms of randomizing and you can a big
variety of examples. Its pretty simple but I find it works well.

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Does anyone know the best program for script writing?

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (VProductions @ Sunday, Jan 6 2013, 23:04)
Does anyone know the best program for script writing?

If, by script, you're talking specifically screenplays, then Final Draft is the industry standard. Another frontrunner is Movie Magic.

For something free, your best bet is Celtx.

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Thanks biggrin.gif . I tried the final draft demo but it was too complicated so now I am using celtx which is perfect.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:19 AM

Thanks for this topic, I am going to be creating a story in a few days. Not sure If I will share it with everyone though.

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

Listen up guys, this piece of software is f*cking perfect, seriously if I didn't have it then I wouldn't have even attempted Project Avalon. It helps me get all of the information out in one.

http://www.novelist....hp/en/storybook

http://snag.gy/TMDh7.jpg

^ how I use it.

There is thousands of cool features. I can't even explain in this post how much it can do. You can set out all of you scene descriptions to make a synopsis or set out all of your chapters to read like a book. Make locations and tag them in your scene, that works with characters too wow.gif

I would recommend this free software to anyone

Lexty.
  • Lexty.

whiskeytits

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

Looks interesting, Vice President. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users