» «
Photo

Community

146 replies to this topic
SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:43 PM Edited by SIKKS66, 19 April 2012 - 06:14 PM.

QUOTE (Robinski @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 17:40)
QUOTE (SIKKS66 @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 17:09)
How is this show not more famous? It's not on any of the major TV channels over in the UK, either terrestrial or satellite television.

Oh, really? Although to be fair the article does say it's much under-appreciated, and VIVA and SET are hardly major.

Anyway, I've been rewatching a lot of these recently and it's even better the second time around. So many subtle jokes and so much foreshadowing that I didn't or couldn't catch the first time through.

That is the very same article I read the other day that motivated me to go watch the show. The whole premise of that article is what I was getting at; the show isn't well known enough over here. If I hadn't stumbled across that article on my Guardian app browsing I'd have been one of the "unconverted" suicidal.gif

And no, I wouldn't call Sony TV or Viva major channels which is what I was implying. All the big American sitcoms seem to get picked up by the likes of E4, Comedy Central and Sky One. They're the kind of channels that get the heavy advertising sitcoms of this quality deserve.

What the f*ck is Sony TV and Viva? This is almost as bad as Breaking Bad ending up on Five USA.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

I already have the first 2 seasons. Might actually watch it.

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Zaibatsu

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (SIKKS66 @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 18:43)
What the f*ck is Sony TV and Viva? This is almost as bad as Breaking Bad ending up on Five USA.

This is worse than Breaking Bad being on Five USA.

VIVA is a mess of a channel that fancies itself as the new MTV but in actual fact is just the best place for 6 Hour blocks of Fresh Prince of Bel Air. It did show the first season of Community but stopped right before the paintball episode. That was around the time that Season 2 was airing in the USA.

Sony TV is a new channel that came to Sky last year. Just shows a bunch of shows you've never heard of, cancelled shows and old BBC programmes from about 7 years ago. But it did have 'Newsradio' and that show is good. When it comes to Community, I've simply found alternative ways to watch it. A hell of a lot better.

It's horrible how the really good American tv shows get treated in the UK. Arrested Development was left to rot on BBC2 on late Saturday nights. Friday Night Lights was dropped after a season by ITV4, even The Sopranos got stuck on E4 at some stupidly late time. Apparently Seinfeld got stuck in a sh*t slot back in the day too.

At least we have Sky Atlantic now which is pushing the current HBO lineup out plus replaying some classic stuff like Six Feet Under and The Sopranos. FX UK aren't that bad either but still we get all the CSI's and the NCIS's flooding the schedules. Grrrr.

Anyway rant over, I'll go back to my cave now.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:44 PM Edited by SIKKS66, 19 April 2012 - 08:46 PM.

Yeah I left FX out of my rant since they took up Breaking Bad (even if it was only season 2) and at least try to compete with the Sky monopoly on American shows by airing The Walking Dead and True Blood.

I just remembered I once stumbled upon Sony TV late at night. They were airing one of those cancelled sitcoms you mentioned, 'Til Death. Only reason it caught my eye was cause it had Brad Garrett (aka Robert Barone of Everybody Loves Raymond and stand-up fame) with a reaaaally strange voice.

And yeah The Sopranos used to air on E4 at like 10-11pm I think, then they'd show it on Channel 4 a week later at like 1am. I remember stumbling across it and instantly wanting to go out and buy all the boxsets. Also reminds me of how they used to air The Wire on an obscure satellite channel (mighta been FX) but as soon as the BBC started airing all the episodes it became a popular "water cooler" show.

Only thing annoying about Sky Atlantic is the adverts. If I had to watch Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire episodes with adverts for pot noodles and fat Welsh tenors asking me to go compare every fifteen minutes, I'd go mad. Box sets and more nefarious methods of acquiring awesome television is indeed the way to go.

Started season 2 now but I'm thinking of tracking down the DVDs themselves so I can see all the extra content/bloopers etc. Also easier to convince other people to watch a show if you lend them a DVD and not tell them to go download all 25 episodes tounge.gif

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

Basic Lupine Urology is a bonafide top-ten all-time episode.

"A Holocaust-denying, 9/11 pedophile"

"I bet that pissed you right off, didn't it? Is that why you hit your wife? - withdrawn.
Is that why you drink and pop pills- withdrawn.
Are you a virgin - withdrawn! "

Law & Order was so right for parody.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

I don't like Season 3 as much as first 2 seasons. It feels like they don't know what to do with these characters anymore so they're just making parodies of other shows. It was fun the first couple of times they did it, but now it's just cheap and lame. And what the hell did they do to Jeff...

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

I remember an interview with some cast members during the hiatus. They were saying that they weren't sure if NBC was going to bring the show back, so the writers were going to really cut loose on the last half of the season.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Saturday, Apr 28 2012, 10:10)
I don't like Season 3 as much as first 2 seasons. It feels like they don't know what to do with these characters anymore so they're just making parodies of other shows. It was fun the first couple of times they did it, but now it's just cheap and lame. And what the hell did they do to Jeff...

Really? The other than this last episode, the past few have been really introspective, especially the dreamatorium one last week.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

I haven't seen the last two episodes yet.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

Oh sh*t, that makes sense. That one is a little slow, but it's a great character study of Abed.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

Yeah, kind of went through a lull for me but the last two episodes were fantastic! I'm glad they seemingly have the freedom to do whatever they want to.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

I've been loving this season so far. It's had more ten-pointers than the other two seasons combined. Remedial Chaos Theory, Horror Fiction in Seven Spooky Steps, Advanced Gay, Documentary Filmmaking: Redux, and Pillows and Blankets (my favorite of them all). Basic Lupine Urology was really good too. I'm a fan of the high-concept episodes.

Say what you will about this season, but Britta's seriously stepped her game up. She's been the consistently funniest character. MVP of the season.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

Watched seasons one and two over the last few week, trying to make season 3 last by staying a few episodes behind lol. A pointless endeavour.

Watched Pillows and Blankets pt 2 earlier, no prizes for guessing which line floored me.

user posted image

Pagelzilla
  • Pagelzilla

Blowjob Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

^^ That was awesome biggrin.gif

I loved the law and order episode. They really had the formula for law and order dialogue down cold

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

The paintball episode near the end of season one is like the best sh*t ever. Seriously.

best.sh*t.ever.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:31 PM Edited by SIKKS66, 02 May 2012 - 06:34 PM.

Oh crap, I just realised a certain character in the show looks like one of my old university lecturers:

user posted image

It's a good job I'm no longer there, I wouldn't be able to sit in a class with a straight face.

Finally caught up, sadly sad.gif Now I have to wait for new episodes like a schmuck. Enjoyed the Law and Order episode, funniest line for me was Professor Kane's "a man's got to have a code." Oh Michael K Williams, you legend you.

Pagelzilla
  • Pagelzilla

Blowjob Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

Did anyone watch last night's episode? Are there anymore episodes this season? EVER!?? The way it ended had me very concerned

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (Pagelzilla @ Friday, May 4 2012, 16:10)
Did anyone watch last night's episode? Are there anymore episodes this season? EVER!?? The way it ended had me very concerned

Yep, four more episodes this season. One next week, three all together the week later.

Loved the song at the end of this weeks episode biggrin.gif

Meanwhile, in Qarth:

user posted image

Pagelzilla
  • Pagelzilla

Blowjob Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

Loved the episode last night. All the flashbacks to things we never saw were pretty hilarious. I really enjoyed how supportive the dean has always been of them.

I wish my university offered some of those classes.

"Welcome to... Ladders." *applause*

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

Brilliant. So good. The best comedy on television in years.

So glad they were picked up for a new season!

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Friday, May 11 2012, 19:12)
Brilliant. So good. The best comedy on television in years.

So glad they were picked up for a new season!

I thought they were gonna cancel it after this season.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

Nope! Renewed for 13 episodes. Super rad.

Check it!

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Friday, May 11 2012, 19:51)
Nope! Renewed for 13 episodes. Super rad.

Check it!

Cool cool cool.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Godawful-Disturbed-Earl Root

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:24 PM Edited by Slamman, 13 May 2012 - 08:38 PM.

Recently this show was discussed on Morning radio, and I have to say, what I heard I agree with, Chevy Chase could not save the show, the other cast never outshined him, really, he can and HAS done better comic work, I even watched and enjoyed his stint as a talk show host, so I know Mr. Chase! haha

He'll crack you up just talking here....

One show with comic chops I felt was pretty good, you may not, also featured Jane Curtin of SNL fame, and a great job from John Lithgow, perhaps his most endearing character;

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:11 AM Edited by SIKKS66, 18 May 2012 - 03:01 AM.

Gillian Jacobs doing a live webchat on Entertainment Weekly.

user posted image

blush.gif She replied to me.

Can't wait to get tonight's episodes in the morning. Six seasons and a movie!

Edit: Yvette Nicole Brown doing a Q&A on another site. Answered my question about her favourite musical moment: "Sensible Night" from season one. Forgot about that.

Pagelzilla
  • Pagelzilla

Blowjob Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

@ Slamman: I always held Chevy in the highest regard until I read this article about how difficult he can be to work with.

I still enjoy his work, I just wish he was a nicer guy.

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

Great season finale, great final montage too. Very Wire-esque. And that makes Omar and Gus who have appeared this show. Awesome.

"Oh no, Jive Turkeys!"

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (SIKKS66 @ Friday, May 18 2012, 02:11)
Gillian Jacobs doing a live webchat on Entertainment Weekly.

You should check her out on some other comedy stuff. She does some sketch stuff with Paul F. Tompkins on his podcast, as well as appearing occasionally on Comedy Bang Bang and The JV Club.

Where do you/other UK folk watch Community, is it on any tv channel or Netflix? I can't seem to find it.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

Catching up on the last three episodes today. The video game episode? WITH GUS?! f*cking awesome so far.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

I was able to catch up to last couple of episodes I didn't watch.

Holy crap Starburns!

And holy crap Starburns!

Also, a movie?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users