vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

Hey guys, what's happenin?

So what is your religion?

I am a Muslim, I will give a short background on Islam.

As a Muslim you have to fast for the holy month, it lasts for 30 days, there are a few exceptions for the people who can't fast, if you are old then you have to feed other people, if you are still young, if your travelling or your ill, then you can break your fast but you have to fast to compensate the days lost, directly after Ramadan, we get a holiday called Eid al-fitr, it marks the end of Ramadan, it is forbidden to fast on that day, it usually lasts for 2 or 3 days.

This is just a short background, right now I am fasting, Ramadan ends in 2 days.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Absolute Dunkel:Heit

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D]
    Contribution Award [General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:33 AM

I think there have been topics like this before, and from memory they don't tend to end well...

I'm an atheist, or more accurately a secular humanist. Which means that I dispel the ideas that mankind is somehow "good" or "moral", and don't believe that religion should form the principal basis for ethics or ethical decision-making. Instead, concepts of good and bad, morality and immorality, are based on logic and reason- hence why they differ dramatically in different cultures and societies.

dice
  • dice

love_triangle

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:42 AM Edited by ^- Dice ->, 29 August 2011 - 10:45 AM.

The concept of what's good or bad is passed down from generation to generation and is usually thought by the elderly. I am Christian to some extent, I support the Bibles moral ideas, but dislike going to church or following any rules set by it. If I want to praise my god, I wont go to some materialistic institution and listen to a person citing something which I can read myself. I'm not saying all priests are bad, some do a good job at preaching, using words which can really reach out to you. I do go to church at major holydays though.

And I really hate idiots who dumb down religion by taking it literally. For me It isn't a strict set of rules, written in a 100% historically accurate book, I take is as an idea, a guide for making you a better person.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Monday, Aug 29 2011, 20:33)
secular humanist

Yep. Same as what this guy said.

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Zaibatsu

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Monday, Aug 29 2011, 18:15)
As a Muslim you have to fast for the holy month, it lasts for 30 days, there are a few exceptions for the people who can't fast, if you are old then you have to feed other people, if you are still young, if your travelling or your ill, then you can break your fast but you have to fast to compensate the days lost, directly after Ramadan, we get a holiday called Eid al-fitr, it marks the end of Ramadan, it is forbidden to fast on that day, it usually lasts for 2 or 3 days.

This is just a short background, right now I am fasting, Ramadan ends in 2 days.

I'm a Muslim, and it's one more day from where I'm staying.

To be honest, I myself am a very bad Muslim. The only reason I am one is because my whole family is strict on religious views. I don't see why my religion should affect my lifestyle at all. Morality is a bitch I tell ya

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:09 AM

I'm a Discordian. It works for me.

Tyler
  • Tyler

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

• Unknown
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:09 AM

Deism is interesting, but frankly I prefer to just not be affiliated with religion. The idea that there's some magnificent eternal bliss after this life makes our Universe seem less amazing, and that should be a sin.

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:21 AM

I am not a spiritual person. I never picked a 'team' or even played the game. Maybe when I'm on Death Row I will possibly consider choosing Christianity, to save my soul from eternal damnation.
Although, you know, that secular humanism sounds pretty all right. Is there a pamphlet somewhere I can read?

schwebe
  • schwebe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:30 AM

I'm an atheist, I live my life by my own rules. Pretty incredible actually, when I think about how much different institutions (elementary school, kindergarten, television) tried to push christianity down my throat. I'm baptized and confirmated, but this happened when I was young and didn't know any better. Now, 20 years after I was in kindergarten, christianity is pretty much dead here (in schools and kindergarten).

King Mystery
  • King Mystery

Playa

• Members

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:51 PM

I'm agnostic; I'm really unsure on the existence of a god/goddess/gods/goddesses/it. Some days I believe in it, some days I don't.
But I feel we really have no way of proving it. At least, not anytime soon.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Monday, Aug 29 2011, 12:33)
I think there have been topics like this before, and from memory they don't tend to end well...

I'm an atheist, or more accurately a secular humanist. Which means that I dispel the ideas that mankind is somehow "good" or "moral", and don't believe that religion should form the principal basis for ethics or ethical decision-making. Instead, concepts of good and bad, morality and immorality, are based on logic and reason- hence why they differ dramatically in different cultures and societies.

Careful there. I might start to like you.

I too am an atheist. Although I don't like that word. It doesn't really say much. It only explains what you aren't, not what you are. I like to call myself a rationalist.

@ vertical limit - please realize that you're wrong. For your own sake.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Monday, Aug 29 2011, 21:33)

Pretty much this ^.
Once upon a time i was Christian, that was how i was brought up, but the older i got the more things didn't seem to add up, and then High School science came along and explained many many things, and that just affirmed my belief that religion is a waste of time for me since i did not believe in those things any longer.

There could be a god, it has not been dis-proven, and i respect anyone who has religious views, just personally like i said, it doesn't make sense for me.

@GTAvanja, vertical is not wrong read the sentence above.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:02 PM Edited by GTAvanja, 29 August 2011 - 01:05 PM.

QUOTE (finn4life @ Monday, Aug 29 2011, 14:58)
i respect anyone who has religious views, just personally like i said, it doesn't make sense for me.

Well you can respect people, but why should you respect religions? Why should anyone respect a load of bullsh*t designed to manipulate people? And the biggest 3 religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) say in their holly books that non-believers will be punished for all eternity etc. Why should you as a non-believer respect a religion that doesn't respect you? Further more, why should you respect people who believe in that nonsense? They, with their silly beliefs directly disrespect you.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Monday, Aug 29 2011, 12:54)

Care to explain.

R.F.
  • R.F.

I <3 R*

• Members

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

I`m atheist, but arent we all atheist? We're born atheist, its later that we get brainwashed with the bogus religion bs. It really comes down to where you're born. Some areas are extremly religious, other not so much.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Monday, Aug 29 2011, 15:16)

Care to explain.

Yeah, as soon as you rationally explain to me why you believe in god. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to drink alcohol, eat bacon and f*ck women with my uncircumcised dick.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (makeshyft @ Monday, Aug 29 2011, 10:51)
QUOTE (sivispacem @ Monday, Aug 29 2011, 20:33)
secular humanist

Yep. Same as what this guy said.

Going to second this as well. I pretty much fit that label.

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (schwebe @ Monday, Aug 29 2011, 11:30)
I'm an atheist, I live my life by my own rules. Pretty incredible actually, when I think about how much different institutions (elementary school, kindergarten, television) tried to push christianity down my throat. I'm baptized and confirmated, but this happened when I was young and didn't know any better. Now, 20 years after I was in kindergarten, christianity is pretty much dead here (in schools and kindergarten).

May I call you stupid? I was just confirmated, and how the hell can you not know this has a religous intent? I'm having science shoved down my throat now! I wish people could just let people believe what they want, noo shoving needed. (of course science is important, but they are not trying to prove science's things, they do everything they can to prevent religions. )

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

I, like many others here I imagine, am an atheist. I went to a "Christian" primary school, in the sense that we had to sing hymns in assembly and had parables and sh*t read to us, but actual Christianity was never forced down our throats. My family aren't religious in the slightest, and my mam's an anthropologist so religion is just treated as something that happens in culture. I am definitely not anti-theist like the loud mouths that give atheism a bad name in religious communities. Those people will single handedly attempt to ruin a religious person's day by coming in and telling them just how objectively wrong they are. Dawkins is the worst for this and almost makes me want to find another label for my beliefs just to distance myself from his arrogance. Ironically, anti-theists are some really close minded people.

If anything, I wish I did believe in a higher power. It might be annoying when someone says to you in a hard time that Jesus/God has a plan, but it must be pretty f*cking good to genuinely believe that, because you're a good person, someone is looking out for you and everything will be alright. There's also all the good that religion has done and does in the world. I'm not ignoring all the horrible acts committed in its name but religion as a whole (not just organised religion) is generally a force for good.

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:40 PM

I'm an Evertonian, all hail thy ginger ruler!

user posted image

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:00 PM Edited by PrometheusX, 29 August 2011 - 02:05 PM.

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Monday, Aug 29 2011, 13:21)

Care to explain.

Yeah, as soon as you rationally explain to me why you believe in god. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to drink alcohol, eat bacon and f*ck women with my uncircumcised dick.

Whatever, Whatever.

Consider this:
If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter. Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.

Care to explain now? I hope you don't say "Everything started by itself", another way, explain to me rationally why you don't believe in god.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

PrometheusX, there are hundreds of billions of stars in this galaxy alone. Most of them have planets. And you are trying to prove god's existence by mere fact that out of these trillions of planets one happened to be just right?

Shayan Shaffey
  • Shayan Shaffey

Want to Advertise in my Sig? PM Me.

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

I only believe in God, no holy books, no prophets only god.

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (K^2 @ Monday, Aug 29 2011, 14:22)
PrometheusX, there are hundreds of billions of stars in this galaxy alone. Most of them have planets. And you are trying to prove god's existence by mere fact that out of these trillions of planets one happened to be just right?

Oh I forgot, I still have thousands more if you want.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

God is in our souls, hearts and body.

"nuff said!

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Tuesday, Aug 30 2011, 00:27)

"nuff said!

That is true. But remember: we put him there.

Shayan Shaffey
  • Shayan Shaffey

Want to Advertise in my Sig? PM Me.

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Monday, Aug 29 2011, 17:57)

"nuff said!

Yep, that's what my stalker said

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:35 PM

But still, you believe whatever you want, I ain't going to force you to convert your religion and what not, it is up to you.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

"On the sixth day, God created man. On the seventh day, man returned the favour."

I'm an atheist, I don't find the belief in God or religion useful nor realistic. I don't want to argue with anyone about it, and I don't want anyone telling me I'm wrong. It doesn't matter if you're Christian, Muslim or even atheist, don't thing your belief can sway the minds of others. You're wasting your time.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:40 PM Edited by GTAvanja, 29 August 2011 - 02:45 PM.

QUOTE (PrometheusX @ Monday, Aug 29 2011, 16:00)
QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Monday, Aug 29 2011, 13:21)

Care to explain.

Whatever, Whatever.

Consider this:
If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter. Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.

Care to explain now? I hope you don't say "Everything started by itself", another way, explain to me rationally why you don't believe in god.

First of all, the burden of proof is on religious people, not atheists. God doesn't exist until proven otherwise. I don't know if you noticed, but the list of things that god allegedly did is getting smaller by the minute.

So your argument for existence of god is the fact that Earth has ideal conditions for life? That quote clearly says that Earth is the only KNOWN planet with such conditions. You don't know every planet do you? What you're proposing here is an example of 'argument from ignorance'. Typical for religious people. I've heard it all a million times before. You don't know sh*t, so god must have done it!

The simple fact that Earth is capable of sustaining carbon based life forms proves only that it's capable of sustaining carbon based life forms. Nothing more than that. We wouldn't exist if it wasn't possible for us to exist. There is no creator, and there is no random chance. Sure, you can mathematically calculate the chances of life but that's not governed by chance. It's governed by natural laws of physics, chemistry and biology. We exist because we have to. It is impossible for us not to exist. We are the proof of that.

If god exists, then who created god? Oh, I guess god doesn't need a creator. We need a creator because we don't know how we came to be, but god doesn't. You wanna know why god doesn't need a creator? Because we know exactly how god came to be. We made him up. He's a product of our imagination.

I don't know how life began, but I don't pretend to know. If we were having this argument 2000 years ago you'd ask me something like "if god doesn't exist, then where does the rain come from, and the earthquakes, and storms herp-a-derp, durr!"

If we were happy with our own rationalization that god did everything, we would still live in f*ckin' caves. But for people like you that's totally acceptable I guess.

Oh I forgot, I still have thousands more if you want.

Please do try. I've heard every argument from religious people. And I learned one thing from them. They always attack with what they think is the best argument. So if what you already said is the best you can do, this is going to be a very one-sided discussion. But please continue. For my amusement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users