90s music

91 replies to this topic
Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

user posted image

...because I sure do (what little part of them I was alive for anyway).

Two days ago was the twentieth anniversary of Pearl Jam's debut album Ten, so to celebrate I am going to open this topic. colgate.gif

And to kicks things off with some familiarity, perhaps you remember these songs?

Luna Fortuna
  • Luna Fortuna

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

Two of the best bands of the 90's.

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:42 PM

Well I was born in that last few years of the 90s so I can't remember that many bands although I do know that I was raised on songs by "The Prodigy", mostly these two songs:

Am I disturbed for whatching those videos at such a young age? No. *Nervous twitch*.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:37 PM

Never had interest in that band, I did see a Mashup of sorts because the movie Firestarter based on Stephen King's novel came circa 1983 and I was heavily interested in it. On YouTube you can see the band with clips from that film.

I will offer up Matthew Sweet to start with, he's got catchy Pop Rock songs from the early 1990s, MTV's 120 Minutes is actually now an archive of sorts

Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:17 AM

Ahh the 90's is so f*cking nostalgic when it comes to music inlove.gif All the great songs I used to listen to when I was little. Early and mid 90's Gangsta Rap, Late 90's Pop Music... Britney Spears, Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys... it's just so NOSTALGIC!

02fishera
  • 02fishera

PSN ID: TeamTango91

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:56 PM

Not my favourite music decade, but these are a couple of my favourites to emerge:

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:45 AM Edited by Slamman, 06 September 2011 - 08:18 AM.

QUOTE (Rucke @ Saturday, Sep 3 2011, 08:17)
Ahh the 90's is so f*cking nostalgic when it comes to music  inlove.gif    All the great songs I used to listen to when I was little. Early and mid 90's Gangsta Rap, Late 90's Pop Music... Britney Spears, Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys... it's just so NOSTALGIC!

Watching the Oprah final season again, she had Backstreet Boys and Peter Frampton on the SAME SHOW! Now, tell me what that all means! hahaha

I know you're sarcastic, we all got mistreated by mean pop culture and dumb as bricks record companies...

Still, Pearl Jam over Nirvana for me any day! hahaha RIP Kurt Cobain however, he was an amazing talent cut short

KICK TOTAL ARSE ^^

Temple of the Dog is from the era, even some reunion footage on the 'Tube. Always liked the track

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:59 AM

Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Tuesday, Sep 6 2011, 05:45)
I know you're sarcastic, we all got mistreated by mean pop culture and dumb as bricks record companies...

Nah I wasn't. Everybody who grew up during the 90's was into that kind of music.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:05 AM Edited by Slamman, 07 September 2011 - 12:59 AM.

So, then, why would you follow popular trends or your peers? I did the same for a while, but I lived to regret it, the bands that were popular early 1980s were REO Speedwagon and Van Halen, and I found I really liked them in the long run. So on some fronts, it's hard to tell! haha

If you liked it, so be it (Robinski, I think he or you might have been Hoodwinked to follow the masses!)

This Everclear song is one of their best me thinks

My late friend Jared enjoyed the BELLY band....

Lemonheads require mentioning, non-stereo for the promo of it:

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:37 AM

Maybe he, y'know, actually liked the music? *gasp*

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:19 PM

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:15 AM Edited by Slamman, 07 September 2011 - 12:41 AM.

Of course, Not the first person to post this, but it's memorable STILL

BEST ELEVATOR MUZIK EVER!!!! ^

SmC12
  • SmC12

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:56 PM

Hip-Hop hasn't been the same since...

Just SOME classic examples.

Mockage
  • Mockage

First Breathe After Coma

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:03 AM

Today by SP is a great song... really nostalgic stuff right there.

QUOTE (Slamman)
So, then, why would you follow popular trends or your peers?

So what give you that assumption? Besides the fact that kind of music was popular back in the 90's.

.Lycosa
  • .Lycosa

Prankster

• Members

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:47 AM

Can't beat Big L, guy should of got alot more recognition.

"Before the rap contract, I was selling crack, stay strapped with a Mac I was into all of that, I started rapping and got nice as hell If it wasn't for this I might be doing life in jail."

"They could've been boxers, ballplayers or rap singers - Instead they bank robbers and crack slingers."

"You betta listen when L rhyme; cause being street struck'll get you nothing but a bullet or jail time"

f*cking raw. 74-99 R.I.P Lamont Coleman.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE (Mockage @ Saturday, Sep 10 2011, 01:03)
Today by SP is a great song... really nostalgic stuff .....
QUOTE (Slamman)
So, then, why would you follow popular trends or your peers?

So what give you that assumption? Besides the fact that kind of music was popular back in the 90's.

Dude, you picked obvious chart topping acts, I know that's how they get things in your face so you pay attention, but of course, sometimes you gotta dig a bit

This comment I saw on a 1991 Letterman music performance, Damn Yankees, one of the best PROJECT bands, like Bad Co of the 70s, really formed there in 1990 as I recall

This guy sums up a good credo to live one's life

To the idiot "kids" who think you have to look like or sound like or become something different just to fit in, will realize someday that we ALL die. If you don't live your life just as exactly like you want to, you're a fool. Moral to this story? Dress how YOU want. Grow your hair long or be bald. Play the music YOU love. Screw all you cowards and morons who are too stupid and afraid to do that. Someday YOU too will be just as dead as the rest of us who WILL do & play what we want

This again, in response to YouTube comment bickering, I didn't follow all that, but this guy said a mouthful!

Mockage
  • Mockage

First Breathe After Coma

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:58 PM

@Slamman- I don't follow trends, especially todays trends. I HATE them. But just because I listen to like what, 9 popular bands, makes me a trendfag? I just like the music.. doesn't matter if artists go mainstream or not. It's the musical integrity that counts. Don't be such a f*cking musical elitist please.

P.S: Bands/Artists I listen to:

Followed by Ghosts
Mogwai
Red Sparowes
Noisia
Blue Stahli
The Qemists
Pendulum
RED
Hammock
65daysofstatic
We Made God
Incubus
Radiohead
Children of Bodom
Breaking Benjamin
MF Doom
Bloc Party
The Klaxons
Deftones
Submersed
Silverchair
10 Years
Tortoise
Maybeshewill
The American Dollar

I could go on.
See? I dig deep. Let's get back on topic now.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:51 PM Edited by Slamman, 10 September 2011 - 10:00 PM.

Mockage, I'm not dictating your taste, see that above YT comment I put in just above you ^^^
I agree with that sentiment that you'll live your live following what's popular and not altogether what you, yourself like. I know this from personal experience, and I can save you the grief ...That said, there is an original Incubus, another band that had their name usurped out from under them, I make it a mission to give the other bands their fair share of the lime-light, that's why I mention 80s Disturbed, the 80s Impaler, or several others I've known over the years, another band pops up and they get more attention, which just makes it that much harder for a NON COVER, original artist to gain their own audience. You can see this is a problem.

Better Man, AWESOME! No question

linkinghabit
  • linkinghabit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

90'S BOY BANDS INVASION....

Lochie
  • Lochie

darkness washed over the dude

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:52 AM

90s emo was the bomb.

Mockage
  • Mockage

First Breathe After Coma

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:51 PM

I love 90's Emo. Back then when it was actually full of real emotion and not some fake whiney sh*t.
Oh yeah, how about Jawbreaker?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:00 AM Edited by Slamman, 27 September 2011 - 10:30 AM.

I tell ya, I have also enjoyed the BREEDERS but forgot to mention Kim Deal, didn't I??

Divine Hammer directed by Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth and the amazing Spike Jonez

shred durst
  • shred durst

Mr. Cool

• The Precinct

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:47 PM

Slamman knows what's up... sh*t, cat, he was alternative rockin before i even discovered the pixies....respect

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:53 PM Edited by Vanilla Shake, 27 September 2011 - 11:05 PM.

QUOTE (methods @ Saturday, Sep 17 2011, 04:52)

90s emo was the bomb.

Youtube tags aren't working for some reason. Disregard this post.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE (shred durst @ Tuesday, Sep 27 2011, 22:47)
Slamman knows what's up... sh*t, cat, he was alternative rockin before i even discovered the pixies....respect

Cool man, but we METALHEADS were dragged Kickin' and Screamin' into the 90s along with everyone else, but outside of Headbanger's Ball, I made a point to watch MTV's 120 Minutes, it was Lewis Largent picking songs for that show as well, and I think it's what hurt MTV, he was program director alone, for more then one show! hahaha

shred durst
  • shred durst

Mr. Cool

• The Precinct

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:29 PM

Hahaha, you said it man! What's your favorite sonic youth song/album?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:49 PM

I'm not a follower of that band, but certainly know OF THEM, To me, it was a bit too experimental, but they showed their diversity over the years, coming out with the If I were a Carpenter tribute, that musta surprised some folks! haha

HaydenHarman
  • HaydenHarman

Peon

• Members

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:33 PM Edited by HaydenHarman, 11 October 2011 - 09:37 PM.

Cumbersome and Tomorrow re two very good songs from the 90's

also you cannot forget about Pantera, as they are the best band to ever play

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users