Photo

Can't chance settings

7 replies to this topic
seanvdeusen
  • seanvdeusen

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:38 PM

This runs on my older compter just fine. Well at least i change the settings on that one.

But I just bought a new computer.

Specs

Windows 7
ATI 6990 hd 4 gigs
16 gigs ram
i7 2600 (overclocked) 4.1

Now i'm pretty sure i can run this. I can run crysis maxed and get no less than 60 fps

I spent hours researching and these are the steps i've done so far.

I created a command line (didn't work) Thought I did it wrong so i even downloaded a premade one. No luck
I updated my drivers and downloaded the latest GTA 4 patch.... nothing...
I figured wth, maybe a mod that deals with graphics might fix this issue... nope

And the issue basically is
I can run the game in like nintendo 64 mode... basically smallest rez with nothing on.
I get a warning saying (you exeed the limits or w/e at the bottom)
I cant move any of the bars to adjust the settings.

I also tried doing that "insert line here" in the short cut.
Also downloaded radeon pro in hopes to force this game to do what my heart desires... just played how it always did.

am i doomed to play this game on a crappy nvidia 460?

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:26 AM

Disable crossfire. GTA4 isn't very well optimised for it and will sometimes worsen performance. If it doesn't return to normal after that, just put "-norestrictions" in a new text document called "commandline" in the gta4 directory. Then you should be able to set your graphics options as normal.

Ironic thing is that a GTX 460 will probably perform the same or better than that 6990 with this game.

seanvdeusen
  • seanvdeusen

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:39 PM

my friend has that card and is getting about 24-40 fps sad.gif I have this computer for game development. I actually find a way around it. The thing you suggested was one of the first things I tried with no luck "at first". I actually downloaded all the mods that were graphic related. Icehancer, Realistic mod, and all those crazy textures...ect. After HOURS of updating this thing I was finally able to adjust the graphics. It was magical. With all the settings up and playing in 1080 i still have like 2 gigs of unused memory and the game is getting 50-75 fps. The only time its glitchy is if I get a email alert that i have set up for my job running on a program in the back. Never in my wildless dreams did i think it would run like this.

ALSO for those of you with the same card who are getting low fps. If you bought the game just update it then install the newest drivers. I see on youtube everyone is upset that their newest card still has issues. Also once you do so and it runs smooth go to your card settings and override ALL the settings to the MAX. You will then see this game at all its glory after installing all the mods. The only bad side is the characters dont fit into all the new changes. While everything looks realistic the people look cartoonish.

THankss

seanvdeusen
  • seanvdeusen

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

my friend uses the other computer which has the 460 i dont want to sound like a fanboy but every newest ATI card I bought despite their driver issues seems to run games at full for at least two years. while my nvidia cards run great but start lagging and eventually are useless. but i also do a LOT of 3d editing and rendering. But that card for its price is a good card and those fps i posted arent bad for gta. the only issues is when you have too many things going on. Like traffic and cops chasing you.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Die Hoodrat DIE!!!

• Members

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:12 AM

i disagree with all that. i bought a gtx 285 on clearance from best buy in june 2009 (whenever windows rc came out, cause i installed gta IV then without fear of securom). it runs gta IV just like the gtx 465 i got this month
maybe ati cards run gta IV fine now, but i had a hd 4850 and got tired of the performance issues and swapped it for an 8800gt i had laying around.
bit-tech/custom pc magazine is saying that a 6970 is the fastest card in the world right now though
http://www.bit-tech....d-6970-review/1
every gta game that has come out has that "plays better with nvidia" right there on all of their boxes

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (unc13bud @ Friday, Aug 26 2011, 04:12)
bit-tech/custom pc magazine is saying that a 6970 is the fastest card in the world right now though
http://www.bit-tech....d-6970-review/1

what? From that review:
Itís therefore not that surprising that ATI is claiming that the HD 6970 2GBís main competitor is the GeForce GTX 570 1.3GB, not the imperious GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB.

Despite this though, we canít help but feel a little let down by the HD 6970; frankly we were expecting more from ATIís fastest ever GPU

http://www.bit-tech....-6970-review/12

The GTX 580 has the fastest GPU. The Asus MARS II is the fastest gaming graphics card ever (atleast until Q1 2012). wink.gif

seanvdeusen
  • seanvdeusen

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:37 PM Edited by seanvdeusen, 21 February 2012 - 01:56 PM.

Thanks for all the feed back!

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (OverTheBelow @ Friday, Aug 26 2011, 12:03)
The Asus MARS II is the fastest gaming graphics card ever (atleast until Q1 2012). wink.gif

That card is unf*ckingbelievable, just look at the max power consumption - more than 700 Watt devil.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users