Photo

Drive

87 replies to this topic
Triple Penetration
  • Triple Penetration

Box ♡ Out

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Watched this movie last night. My sister suggested it to me, and so I watched it and my dad also catched up with me. I like all those mindf*ck movies and mystical dramas (Insidious, Limitless, the list could go on) and my father likes all those mindless hollywood style movies (The Expendables, A-team, Taxi 1-4) and he was surprised me watching something involving crime and driving.

At the end of the movie my sister laughinghly asked - Guess from which country the director of the movie is? - I responded: Estonia? It was so f*cking slow with so small amounts of text with longest possible inactivity in the action scenes (my father slept halfway through, he never did that before), so it should be made by those darn Estonians.

She said that I was pretty close and it was actually directed by a Danish director. Since childhood I was being told by my friends and read various jokes about the northern people (scandinavians don't fit, they're Vikings ffs), such as Estonians (I was living next to them, neighbouring countries always joked), but I never met a guy from Estonia to fit this stereotype. Now for the rest of my life I'll be damn sure to avoid such things made by those slowpokes.

Then I found this topic and saw that most of the posters praise the movie and that surprised me. I know english people are also kinda slow, but it could be backed up with most of posts being posted before the movie came out, but there are still some posts made after watching the movie after praising it.

Tycek makes valid points and he's polish. I'm sure as hell he can see how slow this movie is, just like I do. Not sure about Forty, but is your flag correct?

I couldn't be arsed to make writing in my post correct, but damn, I am shocked by seeing so many people saying this is the movie of the year. And I don't trust IMDB, and will never. It puts so damn high scores for all stupid movies, except good ones. sneaky2.gif

Ted Bundys Bedsheets
  • Ted Bundys Bedsheets

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

It's slowish but it's not that slow. I re-watched it last night to see I still like it and yes, it's OK. Not film of the year. It's a simple little crime film. I think that's why people liked it. It's stylish too. Very stylish.

Slow films though let you think about the scene. Fast paced films with lots of cuts and angles are telling you what to feel/see.

See the difference?

I like 'slow' films. Usually it's not intended that's it slow but there's usually more than what you see is going on in the scene. Or it's left up for the viewer to get inside the mind of the character.

Caio_Reinhardt
  • Caio_Reinhardt

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

It's a simple little crime film. I think that's why people liked it. It's stylish too. Very stylish.

Slow films though let you think about the scene. Fast paced films with lots of cuts and angles are telling you what to feel/see.[2]

This is a very classy film, like those from the 70's/80's. It reminded me a lot of Taxi Driver, that it is another slow film, with some similarities...

Triple Penetration
  • Triple Penetration

Box ♡ Out

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

The last crime film I saw before this was American Gangster. It was in perfect speed, nothing like Stallone's rampages, but good mix between thinking/story and action. However, this movie was like all those Schwarzenegger's movie, just the other way around, instead of everything being fast, it was ridiculously slow. whatsthat.gif

Ted Bundys Bedsheets
  • Ted Bundys Bedsheets

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

Like Taxi driver. Although it doesn't have the same genius as Taxi Driver. However it moves at around the same pace and it has more violence throughout the film, rather moreso just in the last 5-10mins.

Hell No..
  • Hell No..

Dad.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Wales

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:29 PM Edited by Hell No.., 12 March 2012 - 12:31 PM.

Yeah to me it was a great film. Really enjoyed it. Liking the soundtrack too.

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:43 PM Edited by Don Garcia, 25 April 2013 - 07:44 PM.

404: Post not found

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

Don, you sum it up well. I don't think I hear anyone referring to it as a masterpiece but collectively everyone seems to have enjoyed. If you listen to everyone who enjoys it that may turn in to hype. Don't believe the hype, yo! tounge.gif

That's what I was saying earlier. I went to see the film after somoene posted the trailer here. I didn't know anything other than the trailer, I think. So I went in to it not knowing what to expect.

Oh and check The Ides of March. Gosling is great in it!.

A J
  • A J

Use your Illusion

• Members
  • Wales
  • Best Event 2012 [Gang Wars]

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

Just saw this last night.

I'll keep my thoughts brief...

All style, and no substance.

Over hyped, but still very enjoyable none the less.

I'd give it a 7/10

Music though, 10/10.

Rusty Balls
  • Rusty Balls

love spuds

• The Precinct
  • Scotland

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

Los Angeles looks better at night. If you're going to show violence it should be violent. From Gosling to Oscar Isaac - eveyone in this movie is spot on and Drive is sheer and utter bliss.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

The gore was pretty decent. The scene where the bitch gets her head blasted off with a shotgun was really well done. icon14.gif

Borahorza
  • Borahorza

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:10 PM Edited by Girish, 13 March 2012 - 03:28 PM.

Probably my favourite movie from last year.

http://i.imgur.com/roMXB.jpg

Caio_Reinhardt
  • Caio_Reinhardt

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (Hell No.. @ Monday, Mar 12 2012, 12:29)
Yeah to me it was a great film. Really enjoyed it. Liking the soundtrack too.

The soundtrack is amazing!!

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

A Stitch in Time C9

• United-States

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (Don Garcia @ Monday, Mar 12 2012, 08:43)
Maybe all the silence and empty stares did me in. In fact, I know it did.

Yep, I just watched this over the weekend and felt the same way. M. Night Shyamalan does a lot of these ultra slow, silent scenes that serve no function and I felt Refri fell into the same trap with some of these scenes.

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a good film overall. The driving scenes really gave me a feeling of movement which was quite an achievement because most action films don't manage to do that. But ffs, people, don't try to equate this to a masterpiece like Taxi Driver on any level or you're just going to hurt yourselves.

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

Was anyone else slightly bothered by the fact that there was a long pause before each time he spoke?

Borahorza
  • Borahorza

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

Considering he has a minimal amount of dialogue it didn't bother me at all. Seems to be a minor detail that people obsess over, like Bale's batvoice.

Mr White0161
  • Mr White0161

I am the f*cking shark.

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:14 AM

Personally I thought the movie was a waste of time. The title was quite misleading, you'd expect with a name like "Drive" it'd be about driving and have some great driving scenes but it had about 3 that only lasted a few seconds. I also found it to be a bit too lovey dovey especially throughout the the first hour. Most of the movie was based around character development but still not much was known about the characters or there motives. In all it was very poorly written and the guy who played the protagonist was way way way too pretty boy to be the so called "Badass" the character is suppose to be. I was highly disappointed, it was cool it had Ron Pearlman but that was about it.

Mav.
  • Mav.

Ghetto Star

• The Connection

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:09 AM

One of my favourite and best films made last year.

Soundtrack was the best I've heard in a while. The casting was different and I really enjoyed that. Cinematography was beautiful.

This film is brilliant. Surprised more people can't see this.

Though I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder...and you c*nts must be blind haha.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (Mr White0161 @ Wednesday, Mar 21 2012, 02:14)
Personally I thought the movie was a waste of time. The title was quite misleading, you'd expect with a name like "Drive" it'd be about driving and have some great driving scenes but it had about 3 that only lasted a few seconds. I also found it to be a bit too lovey dovey especially throughout the the first hour. Most of the movie was based around character development but still not much was known about the characters or there motives. In all it was very poorly written and the guy who played the protagonist was way way way too pretty boy to be the so called "Badass" the character is suppose to be. I was highly disappointed, it was cool it had Ron Pearlman but that was about it.

Too pretty boy to be a "badass". That has to be the most f*cking stupid thing I have heard in a while. Just because the actor portraying the character happens to be handsome does not mean they can not be a badass. he stomps a guy's head into pulp, that's what makes him badass

Mr.Funny12
  • Mr.Funny12

Just keep swimming...

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:08 AM

I really liked the realism. In movies like "transporter" or any super action films of the sort, is just all action, all speed and kinda ridiculos. In this movie, for example when he looses the police by blending with traffic, using an average car and changing his outfit was very smart and doable by somebody now a days.

Also, it seemed a bit more realistic in other areas too. Like I was saying, in those action movies, the main protagonist is some super badass kickass fighter who can take on an army by himself and his fists. In this movie, gun fights, and fighting in general was alittle better then normal.

The only think I didn't like is that I was there was more driving scenes because I enjoyed those parts and there weren't that much of them.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (Mr.Funny12 @ Thursday, Mar 22 2012, 04:08)
I really liked the realism. In movies like "transporter" or any super action films of the sort, is just all action, all speed and kinda ridiculos. In this movie, for example when he looses the police by blending with traffic, using an average car and changing his outfit was very smart and doable by somebody now a days.

Also, it seemed a bit more realistic in other areas too. Like I was saying, in those action movies, the main protagonist is some super badass kickass fighter who can take on an army by himself and his fists. In this movie, gun fights, and fighting in general was alittle better then normal.

The only think I didn't like is that I was there was more driving scenes because I enjoyed those parts and there weren't that much of them.

I think that realism and deliberate pacing is key to memorable action scenes. You could have explosions and ninjas and lasers, even exploding laser ninjas. A guy in an ordinary car, underplayed with a subtle score and good sound, gets the pulse racing faster though.

It's not a coincidence that one of the most famous car chases is basic, raw, played out with little or no fanfare, in what was up to that point a slow burning detective movie (I talk of Bullitt of course). With it's one or two action scenes it's more exciting that all the transformers movie put together. Michael Bay should learn that.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

Realism can be a lot more visercal and engaging. Like John above me says, you can have all the over the top, out of this world, exciting action and still get a great reaction from the audience. But when something is grounded and understated things get a lot more excitable because they're relatable. Everybody's either been punched or seen someone get punched, or been in a car with someone who drives a bit too wildly. It's when you take something that the audience has experienced first hand, you grab them and drag them a just a little bit out of their speher of experience, but only so much. It's why the elevator scene works so well in Drive. Sure, dude gets pummelled, and it's pretty slickly executed by our man, but it's the sort of thing you might see once or twice in your life. But then, he just keeps going. Dargging you further and furtehr away from what you know is what gets the reaction.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

I just bought this film on Blu-Ray, it's such a good film, so so good. It's a movie that has an artistic feel but is also paced out and cinematic. It has a very strong story, and the soundtrack is fantastic.

Definitely one of my favourite films. Someone who seems so heartless at the beginning, turns out to be someone who is a "real human being".

Borahorza
  • Borahorza

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

^Well said. And yeah, the Bluray transfer is outstanding.

Adeel007
  • Adeel007

Playa

• Members

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

Such an under-rated movie. Not the typical action one. If you haven't I would recommend you check it out

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

everyone has seen drive and everyone loves Ryan Gosling :inlove: .

Adeel007
  • Adeel007

Playa

• Members

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:55 PM

yes he is awsome - btw where is that gif from the one that appear at the bottom of your post?

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:48 PM

yes he is awsome - btw where is that gif from the one that appear at the bottom of your post?

The Raid

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users