Drive

87 replies to this topic
John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

It won me over right from the start because I love modern disco music. It's so timeless. Kind of like the movie to be honest. It doesn't feel like it's from any particular era. It's not trying to follow any trend. It's just the way it is and it's great.

It's my favourite film of 2011.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Blue lives don't matter

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:40 AM Edited by Street Mix, 19 February 2012 - 10:55 AM.

I liked this movie until pointless violence suddenly appeared. Around that time story went south too.
First hour was really like an independent arthouse movie. Last half-hour was more like typical cheap R-rated film.
Didn't get neither good action nor good drama.

Also apart from font it doesn't screams GTA at all for me.

Sanjeem
  • Sanjeem

• Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:17 AM

QUOTE (Girish @ Thursday, Oct 6 2011, 15:04)
QUOTE (Otter @ Friday, Sep 30 2011, 02:55)
Loved the soundtrack, except for the "real human beings" track.

I actually liked that track more than the others!

Watched this yesterday. Loved it. I have always been a fan of such no-nonsense type of films. Ryan Gosling played the character with aplomb. I would highly recommend this to anyone who hasn't caught it yet.

Same I liked the track "Nightcall" by...ugh some French guy sigh.gif

Great movie, not one of those realistic kind of movies with a serious tone but I liked the whole twist in the movie, everything become so much sinister.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

Nightcall by Kavinsky is one of the brightest points of these movie. Rest is a bad adaptation of quite good book trying to be pseudo-artistic movie without artism.

Somebody said something about actors? What actors? Perlman, Cranston and Brooks are good, but they got nothing to play there, because Ryan "I am gonna do as Eastwood did in his movies and pretend to be badass" Gosling's face is taking half of movie time. And Carey "Oh, I am so fabulous that I'll be just standing there and smile a little" Mullighan was also like a fifth wheel there.

I really wanted to like this movie, I wanted it to be today's incarnation of Walter Hill's movies, but I just can't. I can't because everything is so fake in this movie. We got fake robbery, fake relationships and fake characters. And why the hell they put everything they found in movies from the past? Cobra's toothpick (he was chewing matches IIRC) and jacket from Scorpio Rising? What was the point of that. They trying to make something fresh by copying other movies. Sorry, didn't work.

BTW, story and characters in the book were much better.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:15 AM Edited by DeeperRed, 19 February 2012 - 11:18 AM.

QUOTE (Street Mix @ Sunday, Feb 19 2012, 00:40)
I liked this movie until pointless violence suddenly appeared. Around that time story went south too.
First hour was really like an independent arthouse movie. Last half-hour was more like typical cheap R-rated film.
Didn't get neither good action nor good drama.

Also apart from font it doesn't screams GTA at all for me.

Except the violence wasn't pointless.

It was to show the psychopathic side to his character . Like in the lift as well it was done to show Carey how mentally f*cked the Driver was It was also never extended violence it was short burst that left the viewers feeling uneasy and questioning the driver character. It also offered a juxtaposition to the slow, beautiful nature of the rest of the film.

so no, it wasn't pointless.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

I wouldn't say it was extended violence, but it wasn't exactly a short burst. The elevator scene goes on long enough that it goes from potentially having the Driver seem like a badass, to going on for long enough to remove all doubt that this guy is f*cked up. I mean, the fact that this guy risks his cushy job/life to drive around like a lunatic for criminals plants the seed, but this scene seals the deal. He's obviously lacking something in his life and is deeply frustrated.

That scene is pretty much the biggest single piece of characterisation the Driver gets in the whole film for me.

Guns N R0se
  • Guns N R0se

King of the Mountain

• Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (Sanjeem @ Sunday, Feb 19 2012, 01:17)
QUOTE (Girish @ Thursday, Oct 6 2011, 15:04)
QUOTE (Otter @ Friday, Sep 30 2011, 02:55)
Loved the soundtrack, except for the "real human beings" track.

I actually liked that track more than the others!

Watched this yesterday. Loved it. I have always been a fan of such no-nonsense type of films. Ryan Gosling played the character with aplomb. I would highly recommend this to anyone who hasn't caught it yet.

Same I liked the track "Nightcall" by...ugh some French guy sigh.gif

Great movie, not one of those realistic kind of movies with a serious tone but I liked the whole twist in the movie, everything become so much sinister.

Nightcall by Kavinsky, I have it on Itunes. lol

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

"Spooked ya!"

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (Tycek @ Sunday, Feb 19 2012, 11:48)
And why the hell they put everything they found in movies from the past? Cobra's toothpick (he was chewing matches IIRC) and jacket from Scorpio Rising? What was the point of that. They trying to make something fresh by copying other movies. Sorry, didn't work.

It's paying homage to those films or films of a certain era. The reason you say fresh is because toning the film down to film style of the past is fresh in a sense. Hollywood is releasing absolute bollox 75% of the time and I'm sure the director sought inspiration from a time gone by, when you didn't have to have 50's cuts in a scene per second to hold people attention but merely a good story, a style which pays homage to past films but set in modern times.

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:10 AM

I guess I'm in the minority for finding this movie very unremarkable. I think the camera work was beautiful, but that's where my compliments end. I found it overly indulgent, and it illustrates Gosling as a largely one-dimensional badass who put on a clinic in stoicism. He could be nominated for Least Facial Expression In A Drama. I understand that his character is an introvert and largely anti-social with a troubled past and yada yada, but I didn't think the way it was illustrated in this film did it justice. The soundtrack had its ups and downs, but the "real human beings" track being chosen for the highlight of the film was a poor choice in my opinion. The story was intriguing, but sometimes it felt a little meandering, and as another person mentioned here there was way too much of the "staring into the distance" acting common in telenovellas. I think it brought a slight level of cheapness to it.

As a side comment, not related so much to my rating of the film as much as it was a lack of immersion, did anyone else find it odd that he wore the same shimmery scorpion jacket the entire film, even in public in broad daylight when that very jacket is covered in blood, and nobody even notices? That stood out to me. Not a gripe as much as an oddity that struck my eye when I was watching.

All in all I think folks built this up to be much better than it is. It's not bad, but I wouldn't recommend it unless someone is a huge Gosling fan. In my opinion this is a very average film worth a watch, but not worth owning.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:40 PM Edited by Tycek, 21 February 2012 - 01:39 PM.

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Feb 19 2012, 18:39)

It's paying homage to those films or films of a certain era. The reason you say fresh is because toning the film down to film style of the past is fresh in a sense. Hollywood is releasing absolute bollox 75% of the time and I'm sure the director sought inspiration from a time gone by, when you didn't have to have 50's cuts in a scene per second to hold people attention but merely a good story, a style which pays homage to past films but set in modern times.

Homage in my opinion ends in a moment when actor doesn't have idea how to create his character and tries to act similarly to actors he's watched in the past to get similar effect. Gosling totally had no idea how to play it. He tried to be mysterious, but his character acts like a retard. He tried to play badass without emotions, but his character becomes fake and unreal.

Good actor can act similarly to other actors and still give piece of himself to character he creating, which will resulted in unique and original feeling, mediocre actor will be always trying to copy someone's work which will be looking fake. Gosling was trying to play Callahan meets Cobretti, Driver, and Kowalski, but his lack of talent, charisma, experience (pick one) made the result worse than mediocre.

In intimate movies like Drive you need actors that have power to keep whole movie on their shoulders. Someone can shout here, that Drive got more than two actors, but in fact rest of them is just the background. Foreground is made by Gosling and Mullighan who are very unreal. Mullighan acts like some kind of Disney's movies actress. All she was doing in Drive was smiling and staring. She said like three lines in whole movie. TV series got better actresses than Mullighan. In movies like this when love is in the air there should be sparks and lust shooting from them and here we got barely a quiet fart. That's all they could play? It's still better love story than Twilight, but that doesn't change fact I've seen better acting on Disney Channel.
In Drive we got mediocre almost dead actors on the foreground and really good actors like Brooks, Perlman, Cranston and Hendricks somewhere in the back. Is that the way to make movie?
People knew how to create movies with small number of actors and dense atmosphere. Sleuth, both from 1972 and 2007 can be perfect example. You don't like them? How about Terminator (Biehn, Hamilton and Schwarzenegger). Atmosphere were so dense that you could almost sh*t your pants. Another examples? Titanic, The Driver, Leon. There is a lot of movies like this with small number of good actors having power to keep whole movie. In Drive we don't have them.

You're saying that 75% of movies made in Hollywood are bollocks. Do you know why? Because we let them do it. We're guilty in this case. Not you or me, but we as people. We wanted easy to watch movies to forget about our problems, we wanted movies full of action, because only action in our lives is speeding ticket or clogged crapper. And Hollywood is making this for us. Today's directors and producers are making movies filled only with action and almost without story, because we wanted to see longer videoclips. Fast Five and Transformers are ideal examples of this situation. Both filled to the brim with unrealistic action, nice chicks and giant machines (cars, robots, etc.). Where is place for story in that movies? Does any of them have something to tell or show except two Chargers hauling giant safe thru some city or giant robots (robot woman, old robot farting with parachute and limping and robot with balls). If so, please tell me, because I haven't seen any story there.
And I believe that movies with some deeper message like "Artist" will sell much worse than Drive or some part of Fast and Furious. That's universal and everlasting truth about people needs. Bread and circusses.

This same sad situation is happening on video games market. Games made by Steve Mancel (BG&E) or Tim Schafer (Brutal Legend, Psychonauts) are selling poorly despite their quality and originality, because most of the people will buy another part of CoD with single player lasting half of hour and multiplayer which is almost everytime exactly the same as in previous part.

Drive fits perfectly to that 75%. sh*t dressed in shiny paper trying to be artistic movie. Movie with story shorter than in typical episode of TV series (guy meets a woman, help her boyfriend in robbery, and taking revenge on "mafia")
Is that story from movie that some people treat as some new revelation? I've seen people calling this movie Reservoir Dogs of 2000s or new Taxi Driver. Really?

What we got in this movie? Story that should takes less than 20 minutes, useless scenes and facts (what fact about Driver being a stuntman brings to this movie? What would be changed if he would be plumber, gardener or pizza delivery man, fact about Nascar races and Bernie paying for car? Latex mask, scene where Driver was fixing carburator?) They were added only to make this movie longer, just like zooming on Drivers lifeless face. We also got revenge because of love motive that was used so many times. We got three people mafia and reason to rob pawn shop that would fit more into some cartoon. And that's the movie worth oscar or some other awards? Really? It's the same shallow crap that Hollywood was spitting out in last years.

I wonder why both director and main character were changed in the beginning of the filming process?

And if someone's wondering the book is totally different and much more better.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

"Spooked ya!"

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

You make great and valid points Tycek. It just cant help but feel people expected more from this film. I went to see it not knowing anything about it. That's why it was a pleasant surprise. It's simple story shot in a more artisitic way. I saw it as a film that's basically saying to Hollywood; Look, it doesnt have to be like this. There's not explosions every two seconds, it's mainly dialogue and little action but here's a little 'arty' film, which Hollywood characters and a very simple story. I watched it without expectation, enjoying the style and choice of music. It all felt carefully placed. They had a direction and it seemed they completed that goal.

It's not a mind-blowing film that challenges social issues or poses questions or causes debate, it's a simple, stylish, love story drama.

And to reduce people as T.V. actors as a sort of derogatory thing is not really that cool when you consider that T.V. is almost surpassing films in terms of writing and direction. Look at Boardwalk Empire, The Wire etc.

But, I understand what you're saying. This is why people are unique. The film served a different purpose or fulfilled something in me that it couldn't in you. It's not even a film, I'd fight to defend, really. Its when you've seen a film and you feel good after it. I had no expectations so it worked out great. Some people will have read the book beforehand and have an imagination or a thicker plot or whatever but others like me just saw it in a cinema on a whim.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

Drive felt like something of a throwback to movies of the '70s. I think people were expecting a rip roaring action movie when it's actually a slower paced movie where not much seems to happen. This is fairly typical of the kind of movies that Drive belongs with.

I suppose I can understand why some might not like it but personally I found it to be excellent. It's one of these things where the whole is more than the sum of it's parts. Either you appreciate it or you don't.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:03 PM Edited by Tycek, 21 February 2012 - 05:06 PM.

To be honest I was expecting only one thing from this movie. I was expecting quality after all this praising I was hearing in the news and TV those days. And to make image more clear I wasn't expecting movie like Fast & Furious God forbid. I gave last F&F something around 4 out of 10 and that was absolute maximum.

I wanted Drive to be today's version of movies from '70. I wanted to see new "The Driver", "Easy Rider", "The Getaway" or "Vanishing Point" and I got some kind of pop culture pseudo artistic movie. I didn't wanted action to be honest, but I wanted to see that atmosphere from 70, where there was some kind of cult for free people, for drivers and their big engined machines.

And you know what?
When I was watching first half of hour I thought I found it. Great Kavinsky's song, fantastic getaway, where Driver was like tiger in the jungle, perfectly knowing his territory and hiding in the dark waiting for perfect moment to attack or run. Scene where he had seen Irene for the first time was really great. Shy perfectionist, who is almost forgetting his name where nice woman is nearby (scene inside the garage). And this driving thru strom drain. When I was seeing this I really thought that I've found movie that I always wanted to see. But when Standard came out from the prison, when they were robbing this pawn shop, whole magic dissapeared. This movie becomes another hollywood flick. Can you believe it that I left this movie for more than a month to finish it? I didn't happened before and I can watch or read something interesting to 2 or 3 AM. Drive simply didn't have the power to keep me nailed to the chair and that is sad fact. During first half of hour I couldn't and didn't want to stop, later I couldn't start it. This is really sad.

When I was watching The Driver, which is closest movie to Drive in terms of story and characters I was sitting there nailed to the chair till 2 AM without single pause in the movie. Here I couldn't find will or power to start watching it after the break. I don't know why it had happened, but it did.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

Tycek-

Interesting point. I see where you're coming from. I'll rewatch it with your post in mind.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

"Spooked ya!"

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (John The Grudge @ Tuesday, Feb 21 2012, 16:04)
Tycek-

Interesting point. I see where you're coming from. I'll rewatch it with your post in mind.

Yeah, he makes good points. I must check out the Driver too.

WidowMaker
  • WidowMaker

Born with a black hat.

• The Precinct

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

Drive? Another Hollywood flick? You're f*ckin crazy. It's Hollywood, and yet you complain about having scenes that aren't just there to Drive the plot. The things you want from the movie are more way more Hollywood than most mainstream movies. Sparks and lust? Yeah, let's have little love hearts floating between Gosling and Muligan! Let's hit the audience over the head with it!

Also; you watch movies wrong. Watch it in one sitting or not at all. It's not even 2 hours long. Jeez.

Drive was the finest movie of last year.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

"I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet." - S. Lem

So, we lived up to the times when every mediocrity should be praised, because it stands up a little from the rest? When I'm reading your and many people posts I'm starting to think that. Posts like "Drive was the finest movie of last year, Drive is Reservoir Dog's of the 2000, Drive is the new Taxi Driver, Gosling is new Eastwood" are only showing how limited we became. I can show you better movies from last year than this flick. The Lincoln Lawyer and Adventures of TinTin were much better than some pseudo artistic movie that tries to not be Hollywood flick by copying everything that was made there in last 40 years. I believe Artist also is better, but I didn't see it yet, so I don't wanna make false assumptions. What part of Drive gives it title of finest movie? Only good thing I'd seen there was music (not made for movie, so it shouldn't count) and photos with original lighting and shots. Rest was very average.

Also; if you look at the top of the page you'll see word "Drive" not statement "Tycek's ways of watching movies" or something similar. You're trying to make disscussion without proper arguments to defend your position, so you're beginning to insult me or my way of watching movies. I am always watching movies in one sitting and situation like this happened only once or twice. I didn't make it with Drive, because I simply couldn't stand it. I couldn't watch movie about people I don't care about and about events that aren't interesting. Simple as that. If I made myself to do it that night I would probalby threw up and gave this "finest movie of the year" around 3 or 4 out of 10. So you're telling me that I shouldn't watch it anymore, because I stopped it in the middle? Great idea, really. And about watching movies in one sitting. I've watched The Watchmen Ultimate Cut (3:35) in one sitting for example, because I simply got a reason to do it. Movie's lenght isn't a reason here.
One more story: Some time ago friend borrowed me a book (A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami). Next day I gave it back. He was surprised and asked if I didn't like it. I already finished it, I answered, which made his eyes even bigger. I don't remember how many pages the book had, but wiki shows that could be something from 300 to 400 (maybe even more). Point is I'd read it in one day, because it was so interesting. And it wasn't single case. I'd read many book in day or two (two, because I really needed to sleep).

And when I was writing about sparks and lust I wanted it metaphorically speaking. I wanted to see the emotions between them, some kind of love blooming there. If I'm correct actor's job is to convince, but how I am suppose to believe in their love if I'm seeing two mannequins standing in the shop window. In book it was described better (not counting fact that Irina wasn't one of the main characters there and the story with her and the money ended up totally differently).
And about scenes that aren't there just to drive the plot. I am not complaining about them, but about a fact that without them this movie would end in 20 minutes and about a fact that they got no reason to be there. They aren't changing anything, there aren't interesting and their only job is to make this shallow movie a bit more longer.

And this is another hollywood flick, with all it's cons. We got altruistic hero, who made all this crap to save a woman who he love (in fact, we don't know anything about that fact, because some genius decided to cut it out from the book) and didn't took money, because he didn't care about them (oh, how cute).

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

• Zaibatsu

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:30 PM Edited by DeeperRed, 22 February 2012 - 05:32 PM.

I am all for personal tastes but I just can't agree with the Lincoln Lawyer being any where near the quality of Drive. Maybe its just you don't appreciate Drive like the majority did. I have watched it 9 times since now, I suspect it will eventually overtake the amount of times I have seen Goodfellas (30+). Each individual bit of the film was so brilliantly done and when pulled together it made something haunting and beautiful. Not a single shot was done without thought, every single one was meant something and I loved that. Direction wise this is defiantly in my top 5. Lincoln Lawyer on the other hand had average acting, by the books Direction and uninspired music choices.

There is no actually physical love shown because the driver doesn't know what to do or say. He is a social inept psychopathy, who's attraction for Irene shows a shimmer of a humane qualities.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:50 PM Edited by Otter, 22 February 2012 - 05:52 PM.

How on earth was Drive "psuedo artism" (as you've stated earlier)? What do you even mean by 'artism'?

It's comments like that, and the fact that you ramble on bragging about how fast you can read a book, that entirely undercut any opinion you may have. It's like you're trying so hard to be pretentious that you actually have to rely on making up words. Give it a rest.

Now for the nitty gritty. First and foremost, Drive IS a hollywood movie, and is very obviously an homage to many classics. Is that a chink in its armor? For the man who just listed off watching and enjoying the very "hollywood" film The Watchmen (not to mention The Lincoln Lawyer) to dismiss this film simply because it falls back on many of the tropes its obviously paying respect to is is an incredibly poorly thought out argument.

I'm sure it's very different from the book. First of all, there's no words, and second of all, there's music and pictures. Putting the smugness aside, though, you've got to realize that this film is its own beast. It oozes coolness and excitement and action in a way that just isn't possible in literature. And before you raise an objection to that - I'm not saying that you can't get all of that good stuff in a book. Only that it's an entirely different experience. What makes Drive so fun is that it revels in the art of "hollywood" film making.

It was a good film. I've already mentioned earlier that I thought it was far too indulgent when it came to the "staring intently" scenes, and I could have done without the pouty Mulligan and the "Real Human Beings" song altogether. But to dismiss it as mediocre simply because it is what it tries to emulate is shortsighted at best. And to refer to it as "artism", psuedo or otherwise, is just goddamned insulting to the rest of us.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

I should give it a rest like Otter said, but I want to say something.

First, this part about book wasn't for bragging, but to show if something (movie or book) will catch me I can sit all night long with this. Second, what is wrong with The Watchmen?

Third, I decided to watch "Drive" for another time today (in one sitting without pauses or leaving movie) and I must say I've finally seen things I couldn't see before. Maybe I got wrong attidute that day, maybe I was just trying to see it in wrong way, maybe something was wrong with me, but after today's seance I started to like this movie. Maybe I just needed time to finally get it (methaforically speaking), maybe I needed to watch it once more? I still think it got some flaws and minor bugs (like rest of the movies), but I officially changed my mind about it.

I am really sorry if I offend you with my previous opinion in any way.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

• Zaibatsu

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE (Tycek @ Thursday, Feb 23 2012, 22:48)
What is wrong with The Watchmen?

So many things. Just my opinion though but I found that film just terrible, however that is for a different topic.

Anyway I am glad you came around and finally saw it for what it was. You can never really appreciate a movie in a split sitting.

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE (DeeperRed @ Thursday, Feb 23 2012, 18:22)

So many things. Just my opinion though but I found that film just terrible, however that is for a different topic.

Are you a fan of the source material? It's a magnificent graphic novel, and the movie is an impressively faithful adaptation. My only gripe is that the movie is paced like a book, not like a movie, which I think turned a lot of viewers off. As a pure adaptation it is hard to argue it could've been done better, in my opinion.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:05 AM

There's nothing wrong with The Watchmen, aside from some terribly wooden acting in a few cases. I only brought it up because it's a a very "hollywood" film, exploiting quite a few cinematic mainstays, and you were railing against Drive's "hollywood"ness.

I quite liked The Watchmen. And the Lincoln Lawyer, too.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

• Zaibatsu

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (Forty @ Friday, Feb 24 2012, 02:16)
QUOTE (DeeperRed @ Thursday, Feb 23 2012, 18:22)

Are you a fan of the source material? It's a magnificent graphic novel, and the movie is an impressively faithful adaptation. My only gripe is that the movie is paced like a book, not like a movie, which I think turned a lot of viewers off. As a pure adaptation it is hard to argue it could've been done better, in my opinion.

I don't know the source material, I mean know its a graphic novel but that's where my knowledge ends. I watched the longest cut, so maybe that was my mistake. I just really didn't find myself entertained, the visual aspect was good but when you don't have a care for any of the characters it can't save the movie.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

I thought you may hasn't seen the comic book. For me The Watchmen was perfect adaptation of perfect comic book and that's why I love it. Of course some scenes were changed (some for better versions - like scene in prison, some for worse - scene with Dr Manhattan's logo), but the final effect was overwhelming and destroying. I would like if they (Snyder for example) did the same to Transmetropolitain (another great comic book).

I am not against Hollywood and in fact I got respect for some of these guys. For me Hollywood got the same role in movies industry as Microsoft has in OS industry. They are making products for the masses and their doing their job very well. I wasn't railling against Drive hollywood'ness (at least that wasn't what I tried to do). I was railling againts disjoining Drive from Hollywood by putting it somewhere higher. I like Hollywood movies (some of them are really crappy, but that's not the point), because without them movie industry would probably die. But as I said I changed my mind about Drive and I will probably watch it again soon.

Back to topic:
Did you know there are two versions of Drive? They got minor differencies (like dialogues) and one quite big (whole idea about the ending).

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Members

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (Tycek @ Friday, Feb 24 2012, 20:13)
Did you know there are two versions of Drive? They got minor differencies (like dialogues) and one quite big (whole idea about the ending).

Is it the pirated version and the in-cinemas version? The pirated one has a track that is also from The Social Network. Hands With Bruises or something like that I think.

Seriously, am I the only who shat their pants after seeing Walt and Clay in the same room? I totally never expected that!

After, seeing the debate here, I need to go watch Drive again. In fact, I just downloaded the soundtrack a few weeks back. Man, Tick Of The Clock is like the Party track from Requiem For A Dream. Me likey, so darkey. And Bride of Deluxe just screams HOORAH in my ears.

EDIT: Would love to comment on Watchmen, I hated that but it's a f*cking topic about f*cking Drive.

Caio_Reinhardt
  • Caio_Reinhardt

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:16 AM

The Vice City fonts:

WidowMaker
  • WidowMaker

Born with a black hat.

• The Precinct

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

It's Watchmen, not THE Watchmen.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (WidowMaker @ Friday, Mar 9 2012, 03:26)

And that was the point to made a post? Jesus.

WidowMaker
  • WidowMaker

Born with a black hat.

• The Precinct

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (Tycek @ Friday, Mar 9 2012, 10:48)
QUOTE (WidowMaker @ Friday, Mar 9 2012, 03:26)

And that was the point to made a post? Jesus.

Yes, Tycek.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users