Drive

87 replies to this topic
Dymez
  • Dymez

West Coast

• Members

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:13 PM

user posted image

Drive is a 2011 American action drama film directed by Nicolas Winding Refn that is adapted from James Sallis's 2005 novel of the same name. After an unsuccessful attempt to create a film adaption made by Universal Studios, this project was greenlit in early 2010. When Ryan Gosling, who plays the unnamed principal character, signed on, he was allowed to choose the director. A fan of his work, the actor chose Refn. Before filming began towards the end of 2010, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, Bryan Cranston, and Christina Hendricks joined the cast.

Like the book, the movie is about a Hollywood stunt performer (played by Gosling) who moonlights as a wheelman discovers that a contract has been put on him after a heist gone wrong.

Prior to its September 2011 release, it has been shown at a number of film festivals. At the 2011 Cannes Film Festival, Drive was lauded with praise and even received a standing ovation. Reviews from critics have been positive, with many drawing comparisons to work from previous eras. The director himself has said influences came from Bullitt (1968) and that Drive was a dedication to Alejandro Jodorowsky

Director: Nicolas Winding Refn
Writers: Hossein Amini (screenplay), James Sallis (book)
Stars: Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan and Bryan Cranston

Ahh, yes... A movie about some good old fashion high speed car driving action with a great plot. I'm there already.....

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:03 PM

While in Bullitt, which I just got on LD and watched the past month... Steve McQueen is a real racing driver, that added honest integrity to the role. I haven't really followed Ryan Gosling enough to know if he knows how to handle a car. If you saw the Behind the Scenes about the Bourne movies, it was nice to see Matt Damon expressing the joys of getting paid to have fun with cars, That would be a hoot!

Dymez
  • Dymez

West Coast

• Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

Yeah, it does add some integrity the role. Although, in Bullitt, the driver in the car chases were usually Bud Elkins.

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

I'm looking forward to this film more due to the fact that Nicolas Winding Refn is back in the directorial hot-seat, and so far every film of his that I've seen, I have thoroughly enjoyed; the Pusher trilogy, Bleeder, Bronson and Valhalla Rising.

ska
  • ska

Hemiplegia

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:51 PM

This is one of the few movies that has come out recently that I can't wait to watch. I enjoyed Pusher and Bleeder, so I won't be surprised if this is another great movie to come from Refn. It's also been getting really good reviews too, so it sounds like it's going to be worth the money to go see.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:24 AM

They joked for some time on the radio about how to say that man's last name, do you know how it's pronounced?

Anywho, The reviews are Love it or Hate it, it would seem, the film results are lack-luster at best this year, they're hurting.

New interview says Ryan's tired of acting, going to stop perhaps? Or was that someone else I was thinking was him?

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Members

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Wednesday, Sep 28 2011, 17:24)
New interview says Ryan's tired of acting, going to stop perhaps? Or was that someone else I was thinking was him?

Naaah. Ryan just said that he thinks that he wouldn't be ably to cope with his acting career if he had kids. So don't expect him to retire any time soon.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:03 AM

The morning show radio commenting on it saying "Who'd get tired of making millions of dollars"?? As well, acting or movie making is something a few actors love doing, and as point of the example, Sean Connery gave it up ....all of it, because he hated it, basically! hahaha

Tsuroki
  • Tsuroki

Remember me?

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

Saw it last night. It's the closest thing to a Grand Theft Auto movie that I've ever seen. Loved it. Loved it loved it loved it.

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:01 PM

Brilliant film, it is a startling violent portrait of a simple man whose life revolves around driving. Whether he is driving for a Hollywood production or a couple of hoodlums, Ryan Gosling's driver is a dry, introverted human being whose micro-emotions are the only visible sign of normality. Alongside Gosling, Refn and his team have created a film that can only be described as a technical marvel. Beautiful cinematography, inch-perfect editing and a soundtrack which scribes some 1980s sensibilities into the cinematic proceedings.

Xo4
  • Xo4

The Lunatic is in My Head.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:00 PM

Wonderful Movie. saw it with some friends and the rest called it slow and boring. I called them slow and boring.

I can't get over how much I enjoyed this film.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:25 PM

I thought it was a bit indulgent at times; characters staring wantonly at one each others' faces or gazing off into the distance for far longer than comfortable. Especially when one of those faces in the dour, pouty, Carrie Mulligan. Fantastically shot, though, and Gosling was so. frigging. cool. For a guy with obvious mental issues.

Loved the soundtrack, except for the "real human beings" track.

soundbomber
  • soundbomber

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:45 AM

Loved this movie! The first 5 minutes where it cut into the credits was amazing. This movie reminded me of GTA Vice City a little ha. I loved the vibe and the soundtrack.

Tyler
  • Tyler

Roy Orbison singing to the lonely

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:54 AM

I really enjoyed Drive. It's a slow-burner but every minute is so enthralling, thanks to a wonderful combination of directing style, soundtrack and homage. Ryan is a great nameless character, and as opposed to people like The Man With No Name, Gosling's few words actually make him come off as a softer person than his actions portray. The violence shows it's toll on the characters, and every bit of action that's juxtaposed with surrounding scenes of slow-paced build-up comes off gritty and emotional.

Definitely see this in theatres if you get the chance.

Leve-O
  • Leve-O

Sic Parvis Magna

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:51 AM Edited by Leve-O, 05 October 2011 - 03:54 AM.

Yeah, I just watched it. Best movie I've seen lately. It's definitely an artist kind of movie. I loved the whole 80's vibe to it as well! The soundtrack was also amazing!

I really want that jacket he wears! tounge.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:16 AM

Basically, from my TV previews I saw, the story meanders a bit, and people felt it got ultra violent, as I stated prior, but I'm certainly not one to think Critics have the last word, but in the TV bit I was watching, they asked movie goers AFTER the presentation, for their views, so it makes you wonder then, bad audience?

WidowMaker
  • WidowMaker

Born with a black hat.

• The Precinct

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:34 AM

Oh from your TV previews? Well that's great... hold on while I just stop reading.

Drive has 93% on RT, what the hell are you even talking about? How is that love/hate? Everyone just loves this movie, unless you're an idiot. Which you clearly are.

Quite frankly, Drive is one of the best movies of the year so far. Superb in every way.

Leve-O
  • Leve-O

Sic Parvis Magna

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (WidowMaker @ Wednesday, Oct 5 2011, 10:34)
Oh from your TV previews? Well that's great... hold on while I just stop reading.

Drive has 93% on RT, what the hell are you even talking about? How is that love/hate? Everyone just loves this movie, unless you're an idiot. Which you clearly are.

Quite frankly, Drive is one of the best movies of the year so far. Superb in every way.

THANK YOU!

I'm pretty sure Slamman is just a negative nancy. Drive is what I've been waiting for from Hollywood for some time now. Something original.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Precinct
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:41 AM

Saw Drive last night. Amazing. Loved the soundtrack too. I described it to my girlfriend as if 80's action flick thriller music evolved in to the 00's. The music during the credits was superb. Loved the title fonts, Vice City anyone?

The color grading really suited the film too. Kind of oranges and blues. The violent parts were really surprising and were nice and graphic but short and sweet.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Friday, Sep 30 2011, 02:55)

I actually liked that track more than the others!

Watched this yesterday. Loved it. I have always been a fan of such no-nonsense type of films. Ryan Gosling played the character with aplomb. I would highly recommend this to anyone who hasn't caught it yet.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:55 PM

Really enjoyed it. Really liked the quiet, understated protagonist. No macho bullsh*t from him like you'd usually see in this type of movie. Soundtrack was great. Gave it a very retro 80's feel to it. Like others have said, it's very much like a GTA in movie form.

Mr White0161
  • Mr White0161

I am the f*cking shark.

• Members

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:14 AM

...To me this just seems like a rip-off of the Transporter series, just less badass.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Precinct
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:49 PM

Eh...no. The Transporter? Really? Jason Statham? Need I say more, lol.

Xo4
  • Xo4

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (Girish @ Thursday, Oct 6 2011, 09:04)
QUOTE (Otter @ Friday, Sep 30 2011, 02:55)

I actually liked that track more than the others!

I can't stand it either. the track while the title sequence is going is my ringtone on my phone currently.

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:06 AM

The Drive Soundtrack is hands down the best soundtrack of the year, I have the CD in my car and the first six tracks constantly on repeat, and with that said FunnyOrDie have just released a brilliant parody of the Drive trailer: http://www.funnyordi...l-movie-trailer. Also, if you haven't, see this film.

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Members

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

Just watched it. Brilliant, just brilliant. The casting, soundtrack and plot, all just so brilliant!

The whole time I was trying to catch the name of Ryan Gosling's character but realized he just an unnamed character. Carrey Mulligan's super cute in this film!

And Walter White and Clay Morrow Bryan Cranston and Ron Perlman in the same room together? How could you not love that?

Is it wrong to have a man crush on Ryan right now? He's certainly the man of the moment. Love the way that he rarely freaks out. And that kiss he pulled off with her, that's just beautiful.

Big pop to the soundtrack too. Surprised they used that track from The Social Network.

This definitely feels like a GTA film. Most notably Vice City. From the fonts of the logo to the sounds of the engine of the cars, it feels GTA-ish. With style of course.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

Horny

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:10 PM

Meant to get this when I saw it popping up in loads of Film of the Year polls.

Having just realised that Bryan Cranston, Christina Hendricks and Albert Brooks (Scorpio!) are in the supporting cast, all I'm thinking is WHAT THE f*ck TOOK ME SO LONG.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

Still one of my favorite movies of the year. I just love the whole 80's retro vibe to it. The opening credits just screams Vice City. Also, I admit that Bryan Cranston and Ron Perlman being in the same room together blew my mind. Two actors from two of my favorite T.V. shows.

About The Driver being an un-named character, I remember reading somewhere that Gosling wanted him to be like The Stranger that Clint Eastwood plays in the Man With No Name series. Strong silent type. Also, I fell in love with Gosling's jacket in that movie. I looked everywhere online for one, but couldn't find any.

Xo4
  • Xo4

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:13 AM

this seriously had one of my favorite supporting casts. With Perlman, Cranston, Brooks, Mulligan, and Hendricks supporting Ryan Gosling, I knew this movie would be spectacular.

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Members

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Wednesday, Dec 21 2011, 05:59)
Still one of my favorite movies of the year. I just love the whole 80's retro vibe to it. The opening credits just screams Vice City. Also, I admit that Bryan Cranston and Ron Perlman being in the same room together blew my mind. Two actors from two of my favorite T.V. shows.

About The Driver being an un-named character, I remember reading somewhere that Gosling wanted him to be like The Stranger that Clint Eastwood plays in the Man With No Name series. Strong silent type. Also, I fell in love with Gosling's jacket in that movie. I looked everywhere online for one, but couldn't find any.

Everything reminded me of Vice City. Doesn't the sounds of the engines bring you back to good ol' GTA memories?

And yeah, Cranston and Perlman in the same room was just spectacular! As I've said it before, the casting was top notch!

I need that jacket too. It just screams awesomeness.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users